HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2012, 02:41 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
The Swede trio of Paajarvi + Lander + Omark

overpayment ? yes ... worth it ? yes
No way Phoenix would make that trade.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
might want to check your facts. Ennis has a higher PPG. And actually showed improvement from his rookie season last year.

Gagner being heavier only makes him slower than Ennis. In a game of one on one I bet Ennis schools the slower Gagner.
And about 3 inches shorter. I play summer ball hockey with Tyler and trust me dude, who will use any opportunity even if it's not there to trash Gagner, he(Ennis) has sick mitts but is the exact lack of size we don't need....... Just quit with this. Your `heavier but slower` theory brings the idea that Ennis would be pushed around easier because of his lack of weight. 30-40 lbs less. To compare PPG as you chose to in your skewed/biased example, perhaps you could consider the age difference as well. Maybe even the quality of linemates that Ennis played with in his half sophmore season totals. Ennis isn`t even a regular center. Or is he the big 2C you and everyone has been complaining Gagner isn`t.. Nothing personal but I just don't think this is a good swap for us.

I hate to rag on Ennis because he`s a solid guy and an exciting player but you might want to take a look at the whole picture here. Not simply saying that one player is better than the other because he showed an inclination in his points department from rookie to sophmore season.

Last edited by Grod: 08-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Paralyzer008

I'd honestly rather have Ennis over Gagner but it's a non-issue, because we aren't getting Ennis.

Boy, a top pairing D would look really nice right now though.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
The Swede trio of Paajarvi + Lander + Omark

overpayment ? yes ... worth it ? yes
How in the world is that an overpayment?

All three of those prospects had sub-par seasons and they wouldn't even get you a sniff at Yandle. Paajarvi might be a decent chip to add to a deal but we'd need to give a ton more. Heck, it's public knowledge that the Oilers offered Gagner AND Paajarvi for Yandle at the draft and were turned down.

08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
How in the world is that an overpayment?

All three of those prospects had sub-par seasons and they wouldn't even get you a sniff at Yandle. Paajarvi might be a decent chip to add to a deal but we'd need to give a ton more. Heck, it's public knowledge that the Oilers offered Gagner AND Paajarvi for Yandle at the draft and were turned down.
link?

i had never heard that that was the package

Old
08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oillio View Post
link?

according to some unconfirmed reports.. Gagner + Paajarvi was the 'deal to beat' for Yandle.

I dont value Gagner very highly especially after his recent contract.
A team like PHO might prefer Lander+Omark duo over Gagner if Paajarvi is the main piece.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
according to some unconfirmed reports.. Gagner + Paajarvi was the 'deal to beat' for Yandle.

A team like PHO might prefer Lander+Omark duo over Gagner if Paajarvi is the main piece.
Then, we'd have a huge hole in the offence.

Horc as 2C yikes!
Hall at 2C? That would make Smyth 1LW. Yikes!
Yak at 2C? That would be a miracle. I bet he could do it.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oillio View Post
link?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-keith-yandle/

Gallof seems like a reasonable source.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Cawz

Quote:
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-keith-yandle/

Gallof seems like a reasonable source.
Staples says he doesnt buy it. Not sure I do either.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Staples says he doesnt buy it. Not sure I do either.
*shrug*

Regardless, we're talking about a defenceman who was being talked about as a potential Norris candidate a season ago. A package where Paajarvi is the primary asset going back won't get it done.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Cawz

Quote:
*shrug*

Regardless, we're talking about a defenceman who was being talked about as a potential Norris candidate a season ago. A package where Paajarvi is the primary asset going back won't get it done.
I dont know much about the Yandle situation, but I would think that a Gagner + Paajarvi package would be enticing to most teams who are looking for a trade partner for a player they have to move.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Spawn

I'd do Gagner and Paajarvi for Yandle. If that was actually offered. But if the rumour is true it sounds like the Coyotes wanted more and told other teams they would have to offer more.

Yandle makes a lot of sense. At 25 he's still young enough to be a long term solution with the core, but he's already a legit top pairing d-man. His cap hit and term are very reasonable when you consider the contracts that were handed out this past summer.

I imagine if it was going to happen it would have already though.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
So I guess if Gagner is heavier than another player, he now becomes slower than that player and the other guy will skate circles around Gagner.

Talk about a no win situation on Gagner's part. All the talk about needing a bigger center, but when it comes down to Gagner's size, it's a hindrance.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:58 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I'd do Gagner and Paajarvi for Yandle. If that was actually offered. But if the rumour is true it sounds like the Coyotes wanted more and told other teams they would have to offer more.

Yandle makes a lot of sense. At 25 he's still young enough to be a long term solution with the core, but he's already a legit top pairing d-man. His cap hit and term are very reasonable when you consider the contracts that were handed out this past summer.
It depends what you mean by top pairing D - he hasn't been used against the top players from other teams, from the stats I've seen.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:25 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
It depends what you mean by top pairing D - he hasn't been used against the top players from other teams, from the stats I've seen.
I like Yandle, but some people question if he's a top pair D, especially after the playoffs last season. Personally I would pass and wait and see how our D turns out. I also think it's to early to give up on MPS. Some of the Edmonton media have this fantasy the Oilers will make the playoffs if they get another top4 D, what ever they're taking they should share it so we can believe in this fantasy as well.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:48 AM
jbean

Gagner, Paajarvi, and Teubert

for

Yandle

I would do it, guys like Yandle don't come around often. PHX could replace Teubert with any of our 2nd tier prospects (i.e. Pitlick, Hamilton, etc.) and I would still do it. Hell I would even throw in the rights to Omark since they are pretty much worthless at this point. If it takes more I would throw in a 2nd round pick or another prospect as long as we got some kind of roleplayer back as well.

The coyotes would probably want Klefbom, Marincin, or Petry back though. If we had to give one of those guys up I would hesitate giving up Gagner who still has a place on this team.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:10 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:

Obviously MPS is the inferior piece in that deal.
At this point who would really give up anything, never mind Yandle, for MPS?
At least Gagner has some value.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:22 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
I like Yandle, but some people question if he's a top pair D, especially after the playoffs last season. Personally I would pass and wait and see how our D turns out. I also think it's to early to give up on MPS. Some of the Edmonton media have this fantasy the Oilers will make the playoffs if they get another top4 D, what ever they're taking they should share it so we can believe in this fantasy as well.
It wasn't so much Yandle not being good enough as it was OEL simply being better. Which isn't a knock since I can count defensemen I'd take over OEL on one hand

Old
08-16-2012, 01:28 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Gagner, Paajarvi, and Teubert

for

Yandle

I would do it, guys like Yandle don't come around often. PHX could replace Teubert with any of our 2nd tier prospects (i.e. Pitlick, Hamilton, etc.) and I would still do it. Hell I would even throw in the rights to Omark since they are pretty much worthless at this point. If it takes more I would throw in a 2nd round pick or another prospect as long as we got some kind of roleplayer back as well.

The coyotes would probably want Klefbom, Marincin, or Petry back though. If we had to give one of those guys up I would hesitate giving up Gagner who still has a place on this team.
Marincin isnt in the same tier as the other two. I would give up Marincin in that package without thinking twice. The other two I wouldnt want to.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:35 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Let's just wait until Phoenix dissolves their team and pick up OEL for free. No use throwing away assets when they don't have to.

Old
08-16-2012, 02:48 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
the gagner and mps for yandle was more or less confirmed on oilers now. Stauffer did his usually tap dance but it sounded like phoenix wanted either hall or eberle in the deal

Old
08-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
the gagner and mps for yandle was more or less confirmed on oilers now. Stauffer did his usually tap dance but it sounded like phoenix wanted either hall or eberle in the deal
So their GM has a peyote farm in Phoenix?

08-16-2012, 03:23 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So their GM has a peyote farm in Phoenix?
it sounded like teams felt the oilers were so desperate that they would be willing to move on the kids

Old
08-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Let's just wait until Phoenix dissolves their team and pick up OEL for free. No use throwing away assets when they don't have to.
0.0000000001 percent shot they dissolve. Quebec would be a lot more likely, even Kansas City and Markham are more likely than a dissolve

Old
08-16-2012, 04:22 AM
Baggers

At this point, I think it's in the Oilers' best interests to go the Seinfeld route and "do nothing."

I had hopes earlier in the offseason that the Oil would be able to pick up a UFA D-man, but after seeing the deals handed out, I'm glad they didn't.

As far as trades go, coming off 3 straight bottom/near-bottom finishes means that even though there are some decent trading chips, they're undervalued and I can't see one (reasonable) deal out there that would result in the team making the playoffs without it being detrimental to the future of the team.

Closed Thread