HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

curiosity about line combo opinions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
  #51
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I just hope he is given a LITTLE bit of leeway wherever he plays. He isn't going to be perfect. Neither are his replacements though.
Me too especially since we don't have anything better at the moment. He is our best top 6 option in the role we ideally want to fill. Let him battle it out, but if he earns it out of camp, give him the spot and be patient.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:36 PM
  #52
Von Malkin*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Tangradi has earned nothing and certainly not a top 6 spot.

Cooke-Sid-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Tangradi-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Jeffery

Letang Martin
Nisky Orpik
Despres Engo
Cooke on the top line? Realllllly? Has the winger situation really regressed to Matt Cooke playing on the top line?

Von Malkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:43 PM
  #53
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 15,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
Cooke on the top line? Realllllly? Has the winger situation really regressed to Matt Cooke playing on the top line?
Would it be better if it was written...

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sid-Dupuis
Tangradi-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Jeffery

...?

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:46 PM
  #54
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,719
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOO

1) You don't give Crosby **** for wingers. He signed for basically the rest of his career, you don't play him with third liners. I'd also like to point out the one game where TK had Sid wide open coming down the slot and he chest sniped the goalie. Crosby was not amused. Forget the game but it happened.

2) Tangradi makes the top 12, for at least a month or two.

3) Trading Martin makes our defense even worse than it does with him. Trading him for nothing is insane, and trading him in favor of Lovejoy is borderline retarded.

That being said, this is what I'd do:

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Strait/Bort-Engelland
Yeah, this board is funny that way. Last year before camp, people were *****ing about Malkin having no one to play with and Crosby having all the best wingers because people assumed Crosby would be with Neal and Kunitz. A year later, and now people put both of our best wingers on Malkin's line, and leave Crosby with whatever 3rd line grinders are left over.

And I'm sorry, but Crosby signing a 12-year extension just to play with grinders all the time is ridiculous. Shero will either go out and get a legitimate top six winger to play with Sid, or Sid will go into the season with one of Kunitz or Neal on his wing. I really can't see the team constantly putting Crosby with Dupuis, Kennedy, etc. while Malkin is flanked by the only two wingers with top six skill.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM
  #55
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,160
vCash: 500
I'm going to say it again for those of you getting mad at us wanting to give Tangradi a top 6 spot. Anyone putting Tangradi in the top 6 is doing so under the assumption that he plays well enough at camp to earn it. Nobody expects the spot to be given to him. We expect him to be the best player for the spot after camp battles play out: thus earning it.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
  #56
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 50
preach on preacher man.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:08 PM
  #57
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I'm going to say it again for those of you getting mad at us wanting to give Tangradi a top 6 spot. Anyone putting Tangradi in the top 6 is doing so under the assumption that he plays well enough at camp to earn it. Nobody expects the spot to be given to him. We expect him to be the best player for the spot after camp battles play out: thus earning it.
This statement is far too complex to process. STOP GIFTING TANGRADI A SPOT! RAARGHHH



regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:12 PM
  #58
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,719
vCash: 80
Assuming no more additions from now until the start of the season:

Tangradi - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Jeffrey

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Niskanen
Despres/Strait - Engelland
Bortuzzo

Fleury
Vokoun

Unless Shero pulls the trigger on a deal or signs a reclamation project free agent before camp, one of Jeffrey or Tangradi will likely get a shot in the top six. I inserted Tangradi because I think he'd make a better "third wheel" than Jeffrey would. I also wish Adams would go away. He'll be taking a roster spot away from a guy like Tangradi or Jeffrey because you just know Bylsma will play him ahead of Jeffrey or Tangradi if he's there.

On defense, I think five spots will be locks and the final two spots (third pairing and seventh defenseman) will be fought out between Despres, Strait, and Bortuzzo. I also don't think whichever rookie earns a roster spot will be playing top four minutes right off the bat.

Ideally, I'd like to see Shero bring in one more top six player just to balance out the line up. I don't like the idea of starting the year assuming Tangradi or Jeffrey can produce like a legitimate top six winger.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:16 PM
  #59
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Assuming no more additions from now until the start of the season:

Tangradi - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Jeffrey

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Niskanen
Despres/Strait - Engelland
Bortuzzo

Fleury
Vokoun

Unless Shero pulls the trigger on a deal or signs a reclamation project free agent before camp, one of Jeffrey or Tangradi will likely get a shot in the top six. I inserted Tangradi because I think he'd make a better "third wheel" than Jeffrey would. I also wish Adams would go away. He'll be taking a roster spot away from a guy like Tangradi or Jeffrey because you just know Bylsma will play him ahead of Jeffrey or Tangradi if he's there.

On defense, I think five spots will be locks and the final two spots (third pairing and seventh defenseman) will be fought out between Despres, Strait, and Bortuzzo. I also don't think whichever rookie earns a roster spot will be playing top four minutes right off the bat.

Ideally, I'd like to see Shero bring in one more top six player just to balance out the line up. I don't like the idea of starting the year assuming Tangradi or Jeffrey can produce like a legitimate top six winger.
I agree with this for the most part. I would be happy to bring in a legit top 6 guy, but I don't want a veteran question mark just to replace our young question mark.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:23 PM
  #60
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
What's going on with Alex Grant, he hasn't been resigned? Is Ray Shero letting him go?

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:30 PM
  #61
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,719
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I agree with this for the most part. I would be happy to bring in a legit top 6 guy, but I don't want a veteran question mark just to replace our young question mark.
I can see your point, but I think Shero might lean that way. It's been his M.O. with recent signings like Mike Comrie and Steve Sullivan; the former being horrible, the latter producing solid.

I'm not entirely against it, simply because I'm not sold that Tangradi or Jeffrey can produce 40+ points in what would essentially be their rookie seasons. Sullivan's 48 points have to be replaced somehow, not to mention I'm not sure Dupuis can repeat his career year of last year. So counting on one of (or even both) Tangradi or Jeffrey to produce like Sullivan did last year might be asking a bit much.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:39 PM
  #62
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I can see your point, but I think Shero might lean that way. It's been his M.O. with recent signings like Mike Comrie and Steve Sullivan; the former being horrible, the latter producing solid.

I'm not entirely against it, simply because I'm not sold that Tangradi or Jeffrey can produce 40+ points in what would essentially be their rookie seasons. Sullivan's 48 points have to be replaced somehow, not to mention I'm not sure Dupuis can repeat his career year of last year. So counting on one of (or even both) Tangradi or Jeffrey to produce like Sullivan did last year might be asking a bit much.
Sully (or someone his quality) is probably just on the side of the line that I would be happy to add.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:34 PM
  #63
roids99999
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Jeffrey

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Despres-Engo
Strait

Fleury
Vokoun
everybody is still jumping the gun on crosby. i know he was having a godlike year but at the same time he was out for how long with his concusison. an injury as serious as his was which is also a reoccuring condition has me skeptical about his true future. Im not trying to say hes bad or is going to **** the bed and roll around in it but i say hes second line center with dupuis and tk or cooke.

roids99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:38 PM
  #64
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roids99999 View Post
everybody is still jumping the gun on crosby. i know he was having a godlike year but at the same time he was out for how long with his concusison. an injury as serious as his was which is also a reoccuring condition has me skeptical about his true future. Im not trying to say hes bad or is going to **** the bed and roll around in it but i say hes second line center with dupuis and tk or cooke.
If Malkin gets both Kunitz and Neal then ya, Sid is on the second line. He'll still be the best or second best center in the league.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:38 PM
  #65
roids99999
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Would it be better if it was written...

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sid-Dupuis
Tangradi-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Jeffery

...?
this is probably the closest set of lines in a probability but cooke isnt necessarily going to be the "top line" guy after losing asham he orpik and engelland are basically the only enforcers we have left bylsma and shero would prefer to have sid playing with someone not afraid to protect him.

roids99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:39 PM
  #66
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roids99999 View Post
this is probably the closest set of lines in a probability but cooke isnt necessarily going to be the "top line" guy after losing asham he orpik and engelland are basically the only enforcers we have left bylsma and shero would prefer to have sid playing with someone not afraid to protect him.
cooke is in no way an enforcer.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:53 PM
  #67
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Would it be better if it was written...

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sid-Dupuis
Tangradi-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Jeffery

...?
My other problem with this is the lineup in so incredibly unbalanced. You have one great line, and a second line with ONE above average top sixer (no, just because he's the best player in the league doesn't automatically make it one of the best lines in the game) . Also, matchups will be easy for other teams. Obviously you'd put your best pair against Malkin's line, and have pretty much anyone else double team Sid. Not like Cooke or TK will be creating offense on their own..

Meanwhile,

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal

is very balanced and gives each of our superstars a decent top sixer to play with, while providing more decision making for other coaches. Whoever doesn't get the top pair will have a better time exploiting it because 2/3 of the line are legit top six guys.

RE: Tangradi, if it comes down to him, TK and Cooke, just give it to Tangradi weather he's "earned" it or not. We know what we're getting with Cooke and Kennedy. They've been third line guys their whole careers. We still don't know all of what ET has to offer. Playing him for a month with Geno to see what he's got will not cripple the team going forward.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:32 PM
  #68
netwolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to netwolf Send a message via AIM to netwolf Send a message via Yahoo to netwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
What's going on with Alex Grant, he hasn't been resigned? Is Ray Shero letting him go?
IIRC, he was given a qualifying offer, but hasn't signed yet. Had a great comeback season last year after missing the previous one due to injury.

netwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:23 PM
  #69
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate
 
Mo Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Palm Isle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roids99999 View Post
everybody is still jumping the gun on crosby. i know he was having a godlike year but at the same time he was out for how long with his concusison. an injury as serious as his was which is also a reoccuring condition has me skeptical about his true future. Im not trying to say hes bad or is going to **** the bed and roll around in it but i say hes second line center with dupuis and tk or cooke.
I believe the vertebrae issue contributed to his prolonged absence the second time he was out. Once that issue was resolved, he came back and looked pretty damn good. I, for one, am not too worried about Crosby. Go check out the link about what Sid's trainer had to say. You will be pleasantly surprised.

As far as TK or Cooke winging for Sid.. Meh. I'd rather see what Tangradi can offer. We already know what we have with the other two.

One more thing, and I hope I'm not coming off as a dick. But please for the love of Lemieux, use some punctuation/capitalization.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
  #70
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Assuming no more additions from now until the start of the season:

Tangradi - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Jeffrey

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Niskanen
Despres/Strait - Engelland
Bortuzzo

Fleury
Vokoun

Unless Shero pulls the trigger on a deal or signs a reclamation project free agent before camp, one of Jeffrey or Tangradi will likely get a shot in the top six. I inserted Tangradi because I think he'd make a better "third wheel" than Jeffrey would. I also wish Adams would go away. He'll be taking a roster spot away from a guy like Tangradi or Jeffrey because you just know Bylsma will play him ahead of Jeffrey or Tangradi if he's there.

On defense, I think five spots will be locks and the final two spots (third pairing and seventh defenseman) will be fought out between Despres, Strait, and Bortuzzo. I also don't think whichever rookie earns a roster spot will be playing top four minutes right off the bat.

Ideally, I'd like to see Shero bring in one more top six player just to balance out the line up. I don't like the idea of starting the year assuming Tangradi or Jeffrey can produce like a legitimate top six winger.
Those are the exact lines I'm rolling with in NHL 12 so they MUST be right

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:16 PM
  #71
Crozbar
Registered User
 
Crozbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
You gotta go back to Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis for 2 reasons:
  1. You can't give Malkin our best and 2nd best winger and just leave Sid with the scraps.
  2. Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis is arguably better than Kunitz-Malkin-Neal. And Kunitz has a bigger role on Sid's line. With Malkin & Neal he's basically the Dupuis on that line.

Put Malkin & Neal together and since Neal can play either wing, let's try TK, Tangradi, Jeffrey on that line.

Neal-Malkin-TK

or

Tangradi-Malkin-Neal

or

Jeffrey-Malkin-Neal
One of these for the second line. Please, God, no TK... Tangradi is a big question mark, though. I hope he magically turns into that serviceable power forward half this board thinks he will ... I'd rather Cooke over Kennedy if both Tangradi and Jeffrey fizzle.

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:43 PM
  #72
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 18,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roids99999 View Post
everybody is still jumping the gun on crosby. i know he was having a godlike year but at the same time he was out for how long with his concusison. an injury as serious as his was which is also a reoccuring condition has me skeptical about his true future. Im not trying to say hes bad or is going to **** the bed and roll around in it but i say hes second line center with dupuis and tk or cooke.
We really don't have a "top" line. What's wrong with putting two wingers Sid is accustomed to and has proven chemistry with?

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:49 AM
  #73
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck
 
DoctrSteveBrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roids99999 View Post
everybody is still jumping the gun on crosby. i know he was having a godlike year but at the same time he was out for how long with his concusison. an injury as serious as his was which is also a reoccuring condition has me skeptical about his true future. Im not trying to say hes bad or is going to **** the bed and roll around in it but i say hes second line center with dupuis and tk or cooke.
it doesn't matter. They will both get the same amount of ice time and be on the 1st unit power play. Who is 1st and who is 2nd is irrelevant when they are also the 1st and 2nd best players in the entire league.

DoctrSteveBrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:29 AM
  #74
Von Malkin*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
I really don't understand why you wouldn't put Kennedy on one of the top 2 lines over Eric unproven tangradi? At least tk has put up 20 goals in a season, tangradi hadn't scored an NHL goal in 2 years. Im not a huge tk fan, I just think he sucks less than tangradi. Yes et is bigger, but tk is a torpedo out there that isn't afraid of anyone. It just seems like a huge jump to go from playing 6 mins a game to top line mins.

Von Malkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:57 AM
  #75
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
I really don't understand why you wouldn't put Kennedy on one of the top 2 lines over Eric unproven tangradi? At least tk has put up 20 goals in a season, tangradi hadn't scored an NHL goal in 2 years. Im not a huge tk fan, I just think he sucks less than tangradi. Yes et is bigger, but tk is a torpedo out there that isn't afraid of anyone. It just seems like a huge jump to go from playing 6 mins a game to top line mins.
We've gone into the bolded way too much, but we all should know that's not a good point when discussing his productivity.

Once again, I'll go to the example of when Kennedy had the puck on the wing, with Crosby wide open coming into the slot. And TK, who paid no attantion to him, chest sniped the goalie. I think this game was against New Jersey. He's a horrible fit with Sid, and I can't see why he would work with Malkin.

Tangradi is a decent playmaker with more upside than TK. If he fails miserably within a month, fine put someone else there.


Last edited by Beauner: 08-10-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.