HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

curiosity about line combo opinions

Old
08-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
I really don't understand why you wouldn't put Kennedy on one of the top 2 lines over Eric unproven tangradi? At least tk has put up 20 goals in a season, tangradi hadn't scored an NHL goal in 2 years. Im not a huge tk fan, I just think he sucks less than tangradi. Yes et is bigger, but tk is a torpedo out there that isn't afraid of anyone. It just seems like a huge jump to go from playing 6 mins a game to top line mins.
I've said it a few times. If we had to go win one game tomorrow, I'd put TK in that spot. He's better today. But we know TK sucks in the top 6. We don't know what Tangradi can do there. It's at least worth taking a shot to see if he can be good there if he plays well enough at camp.

And ya, TK is a torpedo that isn't afraid of anything. And that's great on the third line. But whether he's afraid or not, top defensemen are just going to push him out of their way. And his skillset just completely clashes with either of our top lines. He is a bad shooter that loves to shoot. Tangradi -- if he can adjust to the NHL game -- is smarter, stronger and has better hands. He could be a legitimate top 6 option. He could also be a bust. But I'd rather give him the shot instead of putting TK out there considering we KNOW he is not a legitimate top 6 option.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I'm going to say it again for those of you getting mad at us wanting to give Tangradi a top 6 spot. Anyone putting Tangradi in the top 6 is doing so under the assumption that he plays well enough at camp to earn it. Nobody expects the spot to be given to him. We expect him to be the best player for the spot after camp battles play out: thus earning it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
preach on preacher man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
This statement is far too complex to process. STOP GIFTING TANGRADI A SPOT! RAARGHHH

Tangradi was born with a silver puck in his mouth, maaan! He's like, the Child of Entitlement. Tangradi is the 1 Percent! Occupy Tangradi! Block the path to the arena; friends of Kennedy will be heard!! TK for Top 6 Justice! TK never got his shot!

Like, Far out.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Von Malkin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
We've gone into the bolded way too much, but we all should know that's not a good point when discussing his productivity.

Once again, I'll go to the example of when Kennedy had the puck on the wing, with Crosby wide open coming into the slot. And TK, who paid no attantion to him, chest sniped the goalie. I think this game was against New Jersey. He's a horrible fit with Sid, and I can't see why he would work with Malkin.

Tangradi is a decent playmaker with more upside that TK. If he fails miserably within a month, fine put someone else there.
Your basing your whole argument on one bone headed play? I'm sure there are thousands of idiotic plays tangradi made. I wouldn't describe either as a playmaker. Tk has the speed to keep up with Crosby, dupuis and Cros would skate circles around tangradi. Neither has good hands or a great show, tk has a knack of hitting the opposing goalie in the chest. But at least he's not afraid to take a shot or panic and make unnecessary passes because he has 0 confidence.

I'm not saying tk is a really good player, he's a third line guy. But it's a contact year and if tk is healthy id take him over tangradi. I think it's pretty ridiculous that there is a good chance either of these guys will play top line mins

Von Malkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
Your basing your whole argument on one bone headed play? I'm sure there are thousands of idiotic plays tangradi made. I wouldn't describe either as a playmaker. Tk has the speed to keep up with Crosby, dupuis and Cros would skate circles around tangradi. Neither has good hands or a great show, tk has a knack of hitting the opposing goalie in the chest. But at least he's not afraid to take a shot or panic and make unnecessary passes because he has 0 confidence.

I'm not saying tk is a really good player, he's a third line guy. But it's a contact year and if tk is healthy id take him over tangradi. I think it's pretty ridiculous that there is a good chance either of these guys will play top line mins
if you wouldn't describe Tangradi as a playmaker and think he has bad hands then I'm sorry but you should just wait and watch him play meaningful minutes on a decent line before discussing him. As you said, he did seem to play with very little confidence. He was overthinking most of his plays. That's something that can go away with experience and a consistent spot in the line-up. If it does, he will be better in the top 6 than TK. If it doesn't, he will not stick in the NHL.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:48 AM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
To start the season....

Kunitz-Sid-Duper
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
(im not picky who is line "1" or "2")
Cooke-Sutter-TK
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Martin
Nisky-Orpik
Despres/Strait-Engo/Bortuzzo

If you wanna send Despres back for waiver purposes, im okay with that too. Let him, Strait, Lovejoy and Bortuzzo fight it out over the last 2 spots. Keep Engo around for his physical presence, even if hes our #7.

We have the cap and more than enough assets to upgrade at some point.

I gave the 2LW spot to Tangradi for 2 reasons.
1. Lets see what he can do. A legit shot, every shift with Geno. Not this "3 shifts and 4th line by the start of the 2nd."
2. A 6'5 225lb guy with decent puck distribution skills seems to the best fit for Malkin and Neal.
If he falters, we are right back where we started.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:04 PM
PensFanSince1989

There's absolutely no way you go into camp and don't re-unite the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line if there are no major roster changes.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
There's absolutely no way you go into camp and don't re-unite the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line if there are no major roster changes.
agreed. Sid and Geno each need to have one of the two best wings. I still don't get how we never reverted back to that by the end of last season.

Old
08-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I am starting to think that Shero thinks that Crosby shot his kids' puppy.

And people have called Crosby a whiner? Tell me how many hockey players with half the skill would have kept their mouths shut, let alone signed a multi-year deal at a discount after 7 years of this?

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:47 AM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Probably going to get a rash of **** for this, but I think the lines will be:

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Tangradi - Malkin - TK/Jeffrey
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Adams - Vitale - Glass
TK/Jeffrey

Martin - Letang
Orpik - Niskanen
Despres - Engelland
Strait/Bertuzzo

And, I know the knee jerk response to taking Neal off of Malkin's line will be something about the chemistry they've shown. Well, that was last season. This season, I think the reasoning will be 'If Neal potted 40 with Malkin, let's see what he does with Sid'.

That's not to say the combos will stay that way, but I think that's how they'll be to start the season ... barring any spectacular showings at camp.

DegenX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:29 AM
rmartin65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Adams - Vitale - Glass
TK/Jeffrey

Martin - Letang
Orpik - Niskanen
Despres - Engelland
Strait/Bertuzzo

And, I know the knee jerk response to taking Neal off of Malkin's line will be something about the chemistry they've shown. Well, that was last season. This season, I think the reasoning will be 'If Neal potted 40 with Malkin, let's see what he does with Sid'.

That's not to say the combos will stay that way, but I think that's how they'll be to start the season ... barring any spectacular showings at camp.
If I was Malkin, I would leave. **** that. I was just MVP and the Art Ross winner, and you take both my wingers to give to Sid? Give me one goal in 40 gamer and a spazz or a nobody? No way in hell I re-sign.

rmartin65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:19 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
If I was Malkin, I would leave. **** that. I was just MVP and the Art Ross winner, and you take both my wingers to give to Sid? Give me one goal in 40 gamer and a spazz or a nobody? No way in hell I re-sign.
Luckily Malkin doesn't think like this.

Kunitz-Sid-XXX
XXX-Malkin-Neal
XXX-Sutter-XXX

Throw Cooke or Tangradi on Geno/Sutter's LW. If we can land Sid a legit RW, Dupuis slides down with Sutter.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:57 AM
rmartin65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Luckily Malkin doesn't think like this.

Kunitz-Sid-XXX
XXX-Malkin-Neal
XXX-Sutter-XXX

Throw Cooke or Tangradi on Geno/Sutter's LW. If we can land Sid a legit RW, Dupuis slides down with Sutter.
I hope not. But you dont take both the guy's wingers and give him scrubs. The lines you have are much better. We have two legit top 6 wingers- Neal and Kunitz. Give both centers one. Easy.

rmartin65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Adams - Vitale - Glass
TK/Jeffrey

Martin - Letang
Orpik - Niskanen
Despres - Engelland
Strait/Bertuzzo

I find my blood pressure rising as I read this post haha. Kunitz and Sid, Neal and Malkin. Fill in the rest.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:30 AM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I find my blood pressure rising as I read this post haha. Kunitz and Sid, Neal and Malkin. Fill in the rest.
I'm not saying I want that to happen, maybe I wasn't clear about that. It's what I think the line combos will shake out to be. I'm in the Kunitz and Sid, Neal and Malkin camp, too. But I still think that's how they'll roll to start the season. I hope I'm wrong. We'll see, I guess.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I'm not saying I want that to happen, maybe I wasn't clear about that. It's what I think the line combos will shake out to be. I'm in the Kunitz and Sid, Neal and Malkin camp, too. But I still think that's how they'll roll to start the season. I hope I'm wrong. We'll see, I guess.
Yeah I get it, it would just be illogical. I know Malkin is an awesome team guy, but he has SOME ego. He has to. If after Sid being out and tearing up the league and taking over the "best player in the world" title, he gets both legitimate wingers taken from him, he has to be at least a little frustrated.

I would be okay if they wanted to try Neal with Sid and kept Kunitz with Malkin. I expect to see a number of line combos in pre-season and the early going so I can be patient as a fan. I just think when we get into the regular season Kunitz and Neal need to be split up.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:28 AM
mpp9

Neal will be a great winger with either of Sid/Geno. But giving Sid Kunitz and Geno Neal makes the most sense. Find a gritty LW for Geno and a sniper for Sid.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:50 AM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Neal will be a great winger with either of Sid/Geno. But giving Sid Kunitz and Geno Neal makes the most sense. Find a gritty LW for Geno and a sniper for Sid.
I agree it makes the most sense ... but where are those wingers going to come from? Tangradi is a big question mark at this point, so is Jeffrey and everyone pretty much agrees TK isn't a top six guy. We have, what, two viable options in the pipeline but it's pretty unlikely they make the team out of camp. That leaves trading for someone. And all those someones will probably have a pretty hefty price tag.

I just think Kunitz and Neal will be on Sid's line to start the season. There was some mixing and matching when Sid came back, and in the end Malkin's line stayed the same. But I think the mentality will be to try both with Sid and give them time to develop chemistry. Remember when Sid came back how awful the PP was with both him and Malkin on the top unit? And everyone here was clamoring for Disco to split them into their own units? And he did for a couple of games, and the PP was producing again ... then he went right back to having them both on the top unit, and it became a crap shoot as to whether we'd score or the other team would pot a shortie. That's one of the reasons why I think Kunitz and Neal will be on Sid's line and Malkin will get whoever is left. I'm not saying this with bitterness, or trying to be negative, but Sid is the Captain, the face of the franchise, and he will always have priority over Malkin.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. But then again, it may work. Maybe playing with Malkin will elevate whatever game his wingers bring. Maybe Neal will play even better with Sid. Again, I really hope Neal is with Malkin, but I just can't see Disco not putting him and Kunitz with Sid for at least the first month or two of the season.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I agree it makes the most sense ... but where are those wingers going to come from? Tangradi is a big question mark at this point, so is Jeffrey and everyone pretty much agrees TK isn't a top six guy. We have, what, two viable options in the pipeline but it's pretty unlikely they make the team out of camp. That leaves trading for someone. And all those someones will probably have a pretty hefty price tag.

I just think Kunitz and Neal will be on Sid's line to start the season. There was some mixing and matching when Sid came back, and in the end Malkin's line stayed the same. But I think the mentality will be to try both with Sid and give them time to develop chemistry. Remember when Sid came back how awful the PP was with both him and Malkin on the top unit? And everyone here was clamoring for Disco to split them into their own units? And he did for a couple of games, and the PP was producing again ... then he went right back to having them both on the top unit, and it became a crap shoot as to whether we'd score or the other team would pot a shortie. That's one of the reasons why I think Kunitz and Neal will be on Sid's line and Malkin will get whoever is left.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. But then again, it may work. Maybe playing with Malkin will elevate whatever game his wingers bring. Maybe Neal will play even better with Sid. Again, I really hope Neal is with Malkin, but I just can't see Disco not putting him and Kunitz with Sid for at least the first month or two of the season.
I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but holy **** is it pissing me off

Old
08-13-2012, 09:55 AM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but holy **** is it pissing me off
Sorry Not trying to piss anyone off ... it's my opinion and even I'm not very happy with the thought of it We need KIRK to come in for some random postings ... he's much better at this

Old
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Sorry Not trying to piss anyone off ... it's my opinion and even I'm not very happy with the thought of it We need KIRK to come in for some random postings ... he's much better at this
I'm mostly kidding. I just hate the thought of Malkin playing with Tangradi and Kennedy or Dupuis and Kennedy. They don't play the game the way he does and it makes absolutely no sense. Hopefully Bylsma has more sense than that.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:

I just think Kunitz and Neal will be on Sid's line to start the season. There was some mixing and matching when Sid came back, and in the end Malkin's line stayed the same. But I think the mentality will be to try both with Sid and give them time to develop chemistry. Remember when Sid came back how awful the PP was with both him and Malkin on the top unit? And everyone here was clamoring for Disco to split them into their own units? And he did for a couple of games, and the PP was producing again ... then he went right back to having them both on the top unit, and it became a crap shoot as to whether we'd score or the other team would pot a shortie. That's one of the reasons why I think Kunitz and Neal will be on Sid's line and Malkin will get whoever is left. I'm not saying this with bitterness, or trying to be negative, but Sid is the Captain, the face of the franchise, and he will always have priority over Malkin.

I don't think we start the season like that. I do think we could see it happen if Geno and Neal ever show any signs of a slump. I could see lines switching around quite a bit this season.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
But Kunitz-Malkin-Neal was just as good. And that is the incumbent line, not Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis.

While it's true that Kunitz is our second-best winger, he's also our best complementary winger. He's not a pure scorer. He and Dupuis play largely the same role on a line.

Whoever replaces Steve Sullivan should play with Crosby and Dupuis, imo. Keep the Malkin unit intact and insert Sutter into Staal's old role.

Have an open tryout for first-line LW. Course, we need candidates. Kinda dry at the moment.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
But Kunitz-Malkin-Neal was just as good. And that is the incumbent line, not Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis.

While it's true that Kunitz is our second-best winger, he's also our best complementary winger. He's not a pure scorer. He and Dupuis play largely the same role on a line.

Whoever replaces Steve Sullivan should play with Crosby and Dupuis, imo. Keep the Malkin unit intact and insert Sutter into Staal's old role.

Have an open tryout for first-line LW. Course, we need candidates. Kinda dry at the moment.

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

So basically we should move Kunitz to Crosby's line because we don't have anything else but worse complimentary wingers.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

I didn't like Kunitz staying with Geno and Neal last year when Sid came back and I'll like it way less if he stays with them this year.