HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronman's Top 10

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2012, 12:04 AM
  #1
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,271
vCash: 500
Pronman's Top 10

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1350

Edmonton Oilers Top 10 Prospects

1. Nail Yakupov, Right Wing
2. Justin Schultz, Defense
3. Oscar Klefbom, Defense
4. Martin Marincin, Defense
5. Martin Gernat, Defense
6. Daniil Zharkov, Left Wing
7. David Musil, Defense
8. Tyler Pitlick, Right Wing
9. Teemu Hartikainen, Left Wing
10. Tobias Rieder, Right Wing


Here's his organizational rankings:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1347

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:11 AM
  #2
McOkMcgoMcoil
Registered User
 
McOkMcgoMcoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 13,249
vCash: 500
Edmonton at #9? I know I am a homer, but really, how can you have Shultz and Yakupov and be at 9? give me a break. Detroit would trade their prospects for ours in a heartbeat.

McOkMcgoMcoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:24 AM
  #3
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,048
vCash: 500
I never agree with Pronman's rankings so no surprises here. He always overvalues Detroit and undervalues us.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:29 AM
  #4
McOkMcgoMcoil
Registered User
 
McOkMcgoMcoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 13,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I never agree with Pronman's rankings so no surprises here. He always overvalues Detroit and undervalues us.
I like Nyquist, Smith and Tatar, but I am not sure I would trade Klefbom, Shultz and Marincin for them and that is not even mentioning Yakupov.

McOkMcgoMcoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:52 AM
  #5
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,480
vCash: 500
After seeing Musil ahead of Pitlick I decided not to even click on the link.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:22 AM
  #6
GatoradeG*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
What a strange name.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:18 AM
  #7
McDNicks17
Moderator
McDavid Cometh
 
McDNicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,679
vCash: 1115
Yakupov's CORSI must be through the roof.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:20 AM
  #8
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
After seeing Musil ahead of Pitlick I decided not to even click on the link.
Pitlick hasn't show any top 6 potential of late, and he has a long way to go before he's a 4th liner, let alone a 3rd liner. Musil is still on the path to potentially be a top 4 shutdown defenseman, which tends to be quite a bit more valuable than your run of the mill 3rd or 4th liner.

Wouldn't rank either player ahead of any of the guys in the top 6, and it's kind of splitting hairs over which is better at 7/8.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:50 AM
  #9
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Pitlick hasn't show any top 6 potential of late, and he has a long way to go before he's a 4th liner, let alone a 3rd liner. Musil is still on the path to potentially be a top 4 shutdown defenseman, which tends to be quite a bit more valuable than your run of the mill 3rd or 4th liner.

Wouldn't rank either player ahead of any of the guys in the top 6, and it's kind of splitting hairs over which is better at 7/8.
I pretty much agree. I see people here sometimes penciling in Pitlick for a 2nd line spot in a few years and I think that really jumping the gun.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:40 AM
  #10
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,801
vCash: 500
I take Musil over Pitlick if I had to keep one.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
  #11
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I pretty much agree. I see people here sometimes penciling in Pitlick for a 2nd line spot in a few years and I think that really jumping the gun.
I actually disagree.. Pitlick after the mid point of last season took a big step forward and is now on par with guys like Hartikainen and Lander minus the NHL experience.

Doubt he will be a 2nd liner but he could surely be a solid NHLer down the road. Pitlick should be higher then Gernat and Zharkov and below Musil and Hartikainen.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:24 PM
  #12
McOkMcgoMcoil
Registered User
 
McOkMcgoMcoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 13,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I actually disagree.. Pitlick after the mid point of last season took a big step forward and is now on par with guys like Hartikainen and Lander minus the NHL experience.

Doubt he will be a 2nd liner but he could surely be a solid NHLer down the road. Pitlick should be higher then Gernat and Zharkov and below Musil and Hartikainen.
Well it is the classic upside vs certianty. Gernat is a true hit or miss. He could be a 50 point D man at the NHL level or never make it. He has a lot of upside. Pitlik projects to be a 3-4 th line useful C. He will almost certainly be a NHL player but not a great one.

So really depends on what you value more. Personally I would take Gernat over pitlik.

McOkMcgoMcoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:39 PM
  #13
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Guess this settles the Moroz vs. Zharkov debate from the HF prospect rankings.

But in all honesty I stopped reading the rankings after not seeing Rajala in the top 5.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:45 PM
  #14
Skm
Registered User
 
Skm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Guess this settles the Moroz vs. Zharkov debate from the HF prospect rankings.

But in all honesty I stopped reading the rankings after not seeing Rajala in the top 5.


Zharkov and Gernat might be a tad high but it's just one guys' ranking and it isn't really that outlandish.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:49 PM
  #15
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Guess this settles the Moroz vs. Zharkov debate from the HF prospect rankings.

But in all honesty I stopped reading the rankings after not seeing Rajala in the top 5.
Do you see an NHL future for Rajala? I can't say I do.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:50 PM
  #16
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post


Zharkov and Gernat might be a tad high but it's just one guys' ranking and it isn't really that outlandish.
Thanks, now I'll wait for the beating a dead horse reply, lol.

But yeah of course, it's one guys ranking of the prospects, I don't reallt put a lot of stock or think less of someone opinion if they are placing Zharkov over Pitlick or Musil over Pitlick. I would maybe take his opinion into question if he was trying to convince everyone that Klefbom or Marincin are better prospects than Yakupov.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:51 PM
  #17
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Do you see an NHL future for Rajala? I can't say I do.
He could easily be a regular in a 40 team league.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:57 PM
  #18
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
He could easily be a regular in a 40 team league.
Then I don't see how Rajala belongs in the top 5. Honestly, I thought he did a pretty good job, especially in his commentary provided on each player. His franchise rankings... I'm not so sure about.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:58 PM
  #19
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,480
vCash: 500
For me, it comes down to my dislike for Musil perhaps.

I can see Pitlick likely being a 3-4th line player with 2nd line upside, but I just think there is a greater chance Musil never plays a game in Edmonton than there is with Pitlick.

If all goes well, Petry, Smid, Whitney (healthy), Schultz, and Klefbom will be here for quite some time.

Musil was the prototypical safe pick, thinks the game pretty well and plays well positionally, but his feet scare me...A LOT. He is Peckham slow with respect to footspeed IMO, and he gets burned off the rush.

#5-6 d-men are not hard to acquire, and I guess I just don't see the top 4 upside in his game, and I have seen him play live quite a bit. Anything can happen with d-men, we have seen the many years it has taken Smid to develop, but his footspeed is vastly better than Musil IMO.

I also love Pitlick, so very biased.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:04 PM
  #20
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I actually disagree.. Pitlick after the mid point of last season took a big step forward and is now on par with guys like Hartikainen and Lander minus the NHL experience.

Doubt he will be a 2nd liner but he could surely be a solid NHLer down the road. Pitlick should be higher then Gernat and Zharkov and below Musil and Hartikainen.
IMO, Pitlick is going to impress again at Oilers camp and have a really solid season in the AHL next year.

If I am right about his projection in the next 2-3 years, then we will have a very solid NHLer.

3C is an extremely important position going forward, not to mention Pitlick has the speed and shot to play wing in the top 6.

I mean, people are penciling in Harti for a top 6 role....Pitlick is a much better skater, has better finish and shot, and finishes his checks more effectively because he can get on the forecheck much faster than Harti.

Harti is probably more physical overall, but I just don't see him ever being a top 6 winger in the NHL playing with elite players. I saw too many plays die on his stick and he looked horrific in his own end at times in the NHL.

I like him, just IMO he needs more work than some people think.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:09 PM
  #21
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,543
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Well it is the classic upside vs certianty. Gernat is a true hit or miss. He could be a 50 point D man at the NHL level or never make it. He has a lot of upside. Pitlik projects to be a 3-4 th line useful C. He will almost certainly be a NHL player but not a great one.

So really depends on what you value more. Personally I would take Gernat over pitlik.
No... Pitlick's upside is what Ryan Kesler currently is. I'm not saying he will hit that, but I guarantee he has a decent NHL career as a middle 6 center that plays physical 2 way hockey.

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:12 PM
  #22
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,547
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Do you see an NHL future for Rajala? I can't say I do.
Its his little joke that he trots out over and over again, even though it wasnt funny the first time.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:13 PM
  #23
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Then I don't see how Rajala belongs in the top 5. Honestly, I thought he did a pretty good job, especially in his commentary provided on each player. His franchise rankings... I'm not so sure about.
Do you still believe that Montoya plays for the Rangers?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:16 PM
  #24
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Do you still believe that Montoya plays for the Rangers?
Yeah, but I think he plays shortstop now.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
  #25
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,543
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Do you still believe that Montoya plays for the Rangers?
Why wouldn't he? He's got at least 5 Vezina's in his future



Some people don't get the inside jokes

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.