HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sponsor's on Jerseys

Old
08-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Chef10

vCash: 500
Sponsor's on Jerseys

Hey there Oil faithful!!!

with all of this CBA talk and lockouts and owners wanting more money and players not wanting to give up any money, a solution came to me Sponsor's on jerseys just like in Soccer or racing even golf.

I know to all of the hockey traditionalists this is taboo and an outrage!!!! but think of it this way teams that are worth literally a billion dollars do this A.C. Milan, or Real Madrid, Barcellona or Manchester United or Manchester City!! they all do it so why can't we as hockey fans accept this a form of income for our teams!!.

Owners would be happy because this would be somethign that could go straight to them and not have to be shared with the players, and the players could ask for a little bit more when it come to the CBA and the real money is dished out.

I for one would not be upset if our Oilers jerseys had Rexall or Coca Cola on it, its the team you cheer for not what the Jersey says!

one last thing look at car racing Ferrari's F1 team gets over a 100 million dollars from Marlboro a year in sponsorship and the kicker Marlboro can only have there name on the car in races in south america, asia and the middle east because tobacco sponsorship is against the law in europe and north america!!!

i am just wondering what you think of this option as a way to generate revenue for the team.

Chef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:38 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
It's on all the jerseys in European leagues... And it's some kind of tacky looking

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:44 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
I would think that it would only add fuel to the fire in terms of NHL being a joke in the US. Would make it look even more bush league in the eyes of many who aren't really into hockey.

Had it already been done in any of the other major team sports in NA I think people would be more open to it.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
it looks awful.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Asher

If you think bringing in more revenues is enough to keep the owners or the players from fighting with each other than you're giving both sides way, way more credit than they deserve.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:36 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
If you think bringing in more revenues is enough to keep the owners or the players from fighting with each other than you're giving both sides way, way more credit than they deserve.
Indeed. Throwing more money into the pot just makes both sides greedier. Human nature at it's finest.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Hockey payrolls are peanuts compared to what the Premiership and other top football leagues pay out in salary.

We don't need jersey advertising here.

If I can add the important, and critical point in this is that soccer fans get the benefit of watching a complete 45 min half without ANY commercials. So yes theres advertising on jerseys and around the pitch. Its the only adverts the viewing public see's during a match.

So if the NHL wants to forego advertizing in televised matches then I'm all for a little advertising on the jerseys.

But guess what, they wouldn't do that.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
I would think that it would only add fuel to the fire in terms of NHL being a joke in the US. Would make it look even more bush league in the eyes of many who aren't really into hockey.

Had it already been done in any of the other major team sports in NA I think people would be more open to it.
Isn't NBA already planning on doing it?

Personally I'd be fine with it as long as its just a little patch, if it gets to the point of euro hockey or soccer, id pass. It looks ugly on euro hockey, and i dont like how in soccer, its bigger than the logo. I'd be even more supportive if the ads colors were modified to fit team colors, so it fits with the jersey better.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Hockey payrolls are peanuts compared to what the Premiership and other top football leagues pay out in salary.

We don't need jersey advertising here.

If I can add the important, and critical point in this is that soccer fans get the benefit of watching a complete 45 min half without ANY commercials. So yes theres advertising on jerseys and around the pitch. Its the only adverts the viewing public see's during a match.

So if the NHL wants to forego advertizing in televised matches then I'm all for a little advertising on the jerseys.

But guess what, they wouldn't do that.
We both know that would never happen. That's right up there with saying that if they lower the salary cap then maybe ticket prices will come down.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
We both know that would never happen. That's right up there with saying that if they lower the salary cap then maybe ticket prices will come down.
Yes, and yes, I agree.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:56 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef10 View Post
Owners would be happy because this would be somethign that could go straight to them and not have to be shared with the players, and the players could ask for a little bit more when it come to the CBA and the real money is dished out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef10 View Post
I'm pretty sure this would qualify as hockey related revenue, and by the rules of the current CBA would be shared with the players.

I'm not really against the idea of advertisements on jerseys. The NHL already sells ad space on the equipment the players use including the jerseys. As long as its done tastefully and not like European hockey I'd be ok with it.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

I don't care to see more advertisements of things I'll never purchase. There's enough of it on TV commercials and on the boards during the game.

Leave the jerseys alone.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Hoogaar23

I'm a big soccer fan, and own several Man U and Barca jerseys - I like them. I would prefer the one big sponsor as opposed to those Swiss (I think) hockey league monstrosities that are littered with sponsors all over the jersey and even on the helmets.

The hockey traditionalist in me screams "no way", but I really wouldn't be surprised to see all 4 major North American sports have fairly prominent ads/sponsors on their shirts in the coming years.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:00 PM
madmutter
I heff to be med

They already have this to a small extent in the Reebok Edge jerseys. Individual players have sponsors who they represent by wearing their gear exclusively as well but I would really hate to see this happen. It's ugly, tacky and would make hockey seem less like the other 3 major north american pro sports.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:13 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

It looks sooooooo ugly

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Moneypuck

Since when do hockey teams care what the fans think. If there's significant money to be made, it's just a matter of time till teams go there.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
Since when do hockey teams care what the fans think. If there's significant money to be made, it's just a matter of time till teams go there.
Care is a relative term. They care about their bottom line. If they thought the fans (aka the customers) would tolerate ads on the jerseys I'm sure we would have had them by now.

Old
08-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Never ever.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:32 PM
AUAIOMRN

I don't know what's worse - the idea of advertising on jerseys, or the fact that there are always soccer fans in these threads that think it's not so bad.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
**** that.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Jamin

Will jerseys be given out for free. What benefit do I get pimping out Coke or whatever company? I wear a jersey because of my loyalty to the team or if I like a specific player.

Also what happens when advertising contracts change. After 3 years coke is no longer the jersey sponsor its Costco.

Do you get to bring your jersey in and get a new Costco logo on or are you still advertising freely for coke when they do not even support your team anymore.

Then theres the whole they look nasty argument

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:32 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post

God those are ugly. From a fans perspective no to the ads.

08-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

That's a good point, 2 posts above. If they advertise on jerseys, that may well be the death of jersey sales. No one is going to wear those monstrosities around and advertise for random companies.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:04 AM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
That's a good point, 2 posts above. If they advertise on jerseys, that may well be the death of jersey sales. No one is going to wear those monstrosities around and advertise for random companies.
Soccer jerseys seem to sell fine. If they did go the jersey ad route, I'm sure they would do it in a way that's different from euro hockey where the logos and ads are pretty much just patches that are stuck/sewn on. Something more integrated. Would still be super commercialized and tacky but people would probably still buy it.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote