HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MLSE: The Changing of the Guard

Old
07-31-2012, 09:05 AM
The Messenger

vCash: 500
MLSE: The Changing of the Guard

Interesting and encouraging read, especially in the doldrums of mid-summer. Control may change hands as early as Wednesday!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...rs-bell-regime

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

MLSE is a well oiled company with many dedicated employees and a (surprisingly) young average age of employees. Once you look past the public figures like Burke and Colangelo, there's some solid people in that organization. Hopefully they're left undisturbed because they're helping MLSE be a profitable company year in year out with dedication and belief in their teams.

Also, looks like I might actually have to get Sportsnet if more games go to it.

07-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Dayjobdave

As the article points out, Larry Tannenbaum did, does, and still will control MLSE and everything that happens there.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:19 AM
hockeyfanz

The article suggests that Burke and Colangelo are on shaky ground. I agree. Both GMs should be held accountable as both teams have done absolutely nothing since these high profiled, expensive GMs took the helm.

Disappointing and Underachieving.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Interesting and encouraging read, especially in the doldrums of mid-summer. Control may change hands as early as Wednesday!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...rs-bell-regime
You just have to read the title to be encouraged that positive change is ahead for Leaf Nation fans.

"MLSE sale: Wins expected to matter under new Rogers, Bell regime".

When performance will be measured by wins and losses its time to embrace the change.

07-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
The article suggests that Burke and Colangelo are on shaky ground. I agree. Both GMs should be held accountable as both teams have done absolutely nothing since these high profiled, expensive GMs took the helm.

Well I can't speak about the Raptors but once you look past the disappointing standings for the Leafs, Burke has done a great job bringing in bright hockey minds to manage, re-stocked the barren prospect cupboards and hasn't handcuffed the team to any LONG term deals.

Shame he likely won't be around when his work comes to fruition.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:28 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
As for putting out a winning team, the heat is more on Burke than Colangelo, said Powers. Colangelo took over the Raptors in 2006. They won the Atlantic Division in 2007, but haven’t been back to the playoffs since 2008.

Burke took over the Leafs in 2008. The team hasn’t made the playoffs since 2004.

“I don’t know if it’s realistic for the Raptors to make the playoffs, but their performance is going to have to improve,” said Powers. “The deal bought Burke another year. If they (the Leafs) don’t make the playoffs this year, you know his head’s going to go.”

Powers believes the new board of MLSE, which will feature representatives from Rogers and Bell replacing those who represented the pension fund, will focus the organization on winning.

“This is all about content,” said Powers. “Winning content is better than losing content.”

Perhaps we'll see someone come in, dump some existing players, make a couple big moves, win a Cup and be declared a genius.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:29 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Don't think the Tank fans will like this.

Quote:
Powers said Rogers and Bell will put the heat on the Leafs and Raptors to become winning teams.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Ownership in transition is perhaps one of the main reasons we have not seen change, but just public apology letters to this stage for poor team performances.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
MLSE is a well oiled company with many dedicated employees and a (surprisingly) young average age of employees. Once you look past the public figures like Burke and Colangelo, there's some solid people in that organization. Hopefully they're left undisturbed because they're helping MLSE be a profitable company year in year out with dedication and belief in their teams.

Also, looks like I might actually have to get Sportsnet if more games go to it.
are you suggesting those two aren't solid individuals?

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Don't think the Tank fans will like this.
Well what did they expect? Us to lose forever and just collect top end prospects?

No, Around in 67, I'm not suggesting that. I'm just saying that there are a lot of really good people working behind the scenes who I hope won't be affected by the ownership change.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:32 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Well I can't speak about the Raptors but once you look past the disappointing standings for the Leafs, Burke has done a great job bringing in bright hockey minds to manage, re-stocked the barren prospect cupboards and hasn't handcuffed the team to any LONG term deals.

Shame he likely won't be around when his work comes to fruition.
Well thats your perspective. Nothing you mention can be meausured. None of it. I really don't care if Burke is here to "reap the rewards".....As long as there are rewards to be reaped. There really is no real reason to believe that there will be other than optimism and faith. So how many more years do you believe Burke should be given without any on ice-results to suggest that the team is improving?

Old
07-31-2012, 09:34 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Quote:
Well what did they expect? Us to lose forever and just collect top end prospects?

No, Around in 67, I'm not suggesting that. I'm just saying that there are a lot of really good people working behind the scenes who I hope won't be affected by the ownership change.
Don't know what they expect. Most of their thoughts are baseless and unrealistic.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well thats your perspective. Nothing you mention can be meausured. None of it. I really don't care if Burke is here to "reap the rewards".....As long as there are rewards to be reaped. There really is no real reason to believe that there will be other than optimism and faith. So how many more years do you believe Burke should be given without any on ice-results to suggest that the team is improving?
3-5 more. He has changed players and staff and the younger guys are now maturing. In a cap world, you can't just go out and get players (which people seem to think is the case). It would be silly to think Burke isn't trying his best to improve this team.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:35 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Perhaps we'll see someone come in, dump some existing players, make a couple big moves, win a Cup and be declared a genius.
Yeah...that would be horrible wouldn't it? Isn't that precisely what happened in Anaheim when Burke arrived on the scene and padded his resume with a Cup win? People actually believe that Cup wins are the work of one single GM? Probably if the GM in question has been in charge for 10-15 years...otherwise no chance.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah...that would be horrible wouldn't it? Isn't that precisely what happened in Anaheim when Burke arrived on the scene and padded his resume with a Cup win? People actually believe that Cup wins are the work of one single GM? Probably if the GM in question has been in charge for 10-15 years...otherwise no chance.
So you agree that Burke hasn't had enough time to turn this team in to a Cup contender?

Old
07-31-2012, 09:39 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Burke should be given the same patience as MSG gave Sather. It's pretty simple really. Anyone who thought the train-wreck that Burke inheritited to be contender by now is a touch daft. Real progress has been made and it would dumb to change regiemes over the next 2 or 3 years.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:42 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
So you agree that Burke hasn't had enough time to turn this team in to a Cup contender?
Cup contender? Im talking about seeing improvements in the standings...perhaps contending for a playoff spot. Something to suggest the team is improving. So the team should just toil in the bottom 5-8 overall for a decade while the brilliant GM "stocks the cupboards" That is quite humourous. Sort of a unintentional tank...a tank through incompetence which leads to "stocking cupboards"...because basically that is what finishing low every year SHOULD provide you.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:44 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Burke should be given the same patience as MSG gave Sather. It's pretty simple really. Anyone who thought the train-wreck that Burke inheritited to be contender by now is a touch daft. Real progress has been made and it would dumb to change regiemes over the next 2 or 3 years.
Glen Sather is an awful GM. Probably one of the worst GMs to hand out horrific bloated contracts which continually inflate player salaries. Awful example.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:45 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Cup contender? Im talking about seeing improvements in the standings...perhaps contending for a playoff spot. Something to suggest the team is improving. So the team should just toil in the bottom 5-8 overall for a decade while the brilliant GM "stocks the cupboards" That is quite humrous. Sort of a unintentional tank...a tank through incompetence which leads to "stocking cupboards"...because basically that is what finishing low every year SHOULD provide you.
You seem like the type who has to check the thermometer to see if it's hot outside. Is your only benchmark the standings?

Old
07-31-2012, 09:45 AM
JackJ

Quote:
“The deal bought Burke another year. If they (the Leafs) don’t make the playoffs this year, you know his head’s going to go.”
and we're still waiting around for a goaltender.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:46 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Glen Sather is an awful GM. Probably one of the worst GMs to hand out horrific bloated contracts which continually inflate player salaries. Awful example.
Gold, pure gold!

Old
07-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Cup contender? Im talking about seeing improvements in the standings...perhaps contending for a playoff spot. Something to suggest the team is improving. So the team should just toil in the bottom 5-8 overall for a decade while the brilliant GM "stocks the cupboards" That is quite humourous. Sort of a unintentional tank...a tank through incompetence which leads to "stocking cupboards"...because basically that is what finishing low every year SHOULD provide you.
I'm sorry if this comes off as rude but looking past the standings, do you know about the team? There's a marked improvement in personnel throughout the big leagues (and minor leagues). AHL success this past year with a young squad and more young guys graduating up this coming year should show that Toronto is in a better place than they were in the JFJ era. Wins will come, in time.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Gold, pure gold!
Its good that you have a sense of humour. Absolutely neccessary to be an apologetic and dedicated, devoted and loyal Burkie-ite. Glad to know you think good old Slats is a good GM.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:51 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
I'm sorry if this comes off as rude but looking past the standings, do you know about the team? There's a marked improvement in personnel throughout the big leagues (and minor leagues). AHL success this past year with a young squad and more young guys graduating up this coming year should show that Toronto is in a better place than they were in the JFJ era. Wins will come, in time.
No not rude at all sir. You certainly are entitled to your opinion as I am. We will see in time how good this prospect pool is. Hope you are right.