HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Waffle Board

vCash: 500
I was actually at the Sarnia game today, Boucher looked really good, though I will say I was surprised he got first star. It looked like his line would play the full 2 minutes on the PP, Boucher and Sarault also played 1st PK together, and the line as a whole played what seemed to me like a lot of minutes, though I don't have numbers to say it for sure and could be wrong. Boucher created a couple of real quality chances - including one short handed, had a few nice takeaways, and played a pretty solid game all around. His goal in the shootout is kind of a blur, but he made a couple moves and then tucked it in past the goalies skate. Sorry I don't have the scout's eye for more details, I just thought I'd fill you guys in on what I saw.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:49 PM
DevsFan30

Sunday's Activity:

OHL:
Reid Boucher - -1, 1st star in Sarnia's 2-1 SO win at Niagara
*went first in SO and scored, Sarnia won SO, 2-0
40 games, 30 goals, 22 assists, +16, 34 PIM

QMJHL:
Stefan Matteau - E, 4 PIM (trip, slash), 3 shots, won 2 of 3 draws, 2 hits in BLB's 1-0 loss vs. Chicoutimi
33 games, 18 goals, 10 assists, +20, 65/95 PIM

Old
01-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Devils731

Anyone know if Boucher is always on the PK this season? That would speak to having worked on his shortcomings as a guy who was known only as a shot and nothing much else.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:03 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Board View Post
I was actually at the Sarnia game today, Boucher looked really good, though I will say I was surprised he got first star. It looked like his line would play the full 2 minutes on the PP, Boucher and Sarault also played 1st PK together, and the line as a whole played what seemed to me like a lot of minutes, though I don't have numbers to say it for sure and could be wrong. Boucher created a couple of real quality chances - including one short handed, had a few nice takeaways, and played a pretty solid game all around. His goal in the shootout is kind of a blur, but he made a couple moves and then tucked it in past the goalies skate. Sorry I don't have the scout's eye for more details, I just thought I'd fill you guys in on what I saw.
Ohhh man. Hard not to be excited about him with the season he's having. We have a hell of a prospect on our hands, especially if he turns into a well rounded player. (not just a shooter)

Old
01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Jack Griffin

Gavrus is back with Owen Sound.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post

Old
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan30 View Post
Sunday's Activity:

OHL:
Reid Boucher - -1, 1st star in Sarnia's 2-1 SO win at Niagara
*went first in SO and scored, Sarnia won SO, 2-0
40 games, 30 goals, 22 assists, +16, 34 PIM
That's really impressive when considering that the OHL isn't known to be a easy league to score goals in compared to the "Q" for example.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Merrill back, anyone know how he did and if he's 100% healed?

Chances are he plays a few games in Albany at the end of this season.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post

Apparently he was the 7th D and only played on the PP. Imagine that it'll take a few weeks for him to get his skating legs to midseason form.

I wouldn't say it's 100% certain that Merrill turns pro immediately. Unless they have a 2nd half surge/win the CCHA tourney, Michigan's season will probably be done by mid-March. The semester is over in mid-May. I wouldn't be surprised if he finished the semester and made his decision over the summer.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post

He can't. He'd have to part from college to play a professional game. Boucher was able to play, I believe, because he was originally going to Michigan State than changed his mind and went to play for Sarnia. It might just be that Boucher can play the 9 pro games or whatever it is too without using up a year of his contract.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
He can't. He'd have to part from college to play a professional game. Boucher was able to play, I believe, because he was originally going to Michigan State than changed his mind and went to play for Sarnia. It might just be that Boucher can play the 9 pro games or whatever it is too without using up a year of his contract.
If Merrill has decided he is going to turn pro next season, then he can play in some AHL once his college season is done this year because he is never going to use his eligibility next year anyway.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:05 PM
kiwidevil

Michael Spath ‏@Spath_Wolverine

@umichhockey Red Berenson said that Jacob Trouba and Jon Merrill will be paired together defensively Tue. vs. Bowling Green. #atlonglast

That just doesn't seem fair

Old
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Brodeur

Looks like the game will be on the Big 10 Network at 7:35pm.

Hopefully that pairing meshes well for Michigan. Their PP/defense/goaltending has been subpar this year. Trouba is really aggressive in joining the rush, so it'll be interesting to see if Merrill plays more like a stay at home type to compensate.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:22 PM
kiwidevil

Likely to be any feeds?

Old
01-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Michael Spath ‏@Spath_Wolverine

@umichhockey Red Berenson said that Jacob Trouba and Jon Merrill will be paired together defensively Tue. vs. Bowling Green. #atlonglast

That just doesn't seem fair
That is a sweet pairing. Hope Merrill comes back from injury on fire.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:30 PM
FirmestPiano

Old
01-08-2013, 03:37 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Assuming Matteau isn't suspended, I'll be at the Halifax vs BLB game Friday to watch him try to shut down Drouin MacKinnon Frk

Old
01-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Assuming Matteau isn't suspended, I'll be at the Halifax vs BLB game Friday to watch him try to shut down Drouin MacKinnon Frk
me too, box seats centre ice woooooooo hoooooooooooooo

Old
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
me too, box seats centre ice woooooooo hoooooooooooooo
****in box seats

Can't justify the expense, and I doubt my friends would join for the cost if I did. Gotta try that out someday tho

Old
01-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Looks like the game will be on the Big 10 Network at 7:35pm.

Hopefully that pairing meshes well for Michigan. Their PP/defense/goaltending has been subpar this year. Trouba is really aggressive in joining the rush, so it'll be interesting to see if Merrill plays more like a stay at home type to compensate.
Reminder, game is on Big-10 Network tonight, chance to see Merrill in action.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
****in box seats

Can't justify the expense, and I doubt my friends would join for the cost if I did. Gotta try that out someday tho
The company I work for has them, so i pestered so i could see BLB.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Devils731

I watched most of Merrill's third period. Michigan lost 5-1, so I guess everyone played pretty crappy, but Merrill in the 3rd period should of had 2 assists.

Merrill had a faux-shot pass that froze the goalie and gave his teammate a wide open net to shovel the puck into but the guy couldn't get a handle on the puck. Merrill also found a seam during a PP that created a 2 on 0 for Michigan from the blue line in, they screwed up their pass and didn't really get a shot off.

Overall, for the only 1 period I saw, he skated really nicely, had good positioning in the defensive zone, and seemed to see the ice well on both sides of the puck.

That period by Michigan was horrible though. Their opponents were playing good systematic, disciplined hockey while Michigan looked like it had no system of game plan whatsoever, just everyone trying to make the best 1 on 1 play they can at every moment. Maybe things looked different when it was 0-0 as compared to 5-1.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Brodeur

Watched the Michigan game and probably lost a few brain cells because of it. As Devils731 noted, the Wolverines played pretty poorly. On the bright side, Merrill wasn't on the ice for any of the five goals yielded.

Merrill looked very timid early on which was understandable. In his first couple shifts, he didn't seem to want to engage physically and seemed a bit weak on the boards. He definitely improved as the game went on. Merrill used his large wingspan to effortlessly neutralize a few zone entries. He looked just okay on the PP. His best plays were to calmly keep the puck in, but Michigan has been a mess with the man advantage this year. They only seemed to get the PP set up a few times.

Jacob Trouba didn't have his best game, but he's only a couple days removed from playing in Russia. Commentary crew noted that Trouba missed his connecting flight to Ann Arbor and is still waiting for his equipment as a result.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:13 PM
kiwidevil

Did he looked engaged and interested?

My biggest problem with him in camp is that he seemed to calm with everything and didn't even bother engaging or even look for the puck. Needs to be more intense and involved in the game.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Did he looked engaged and interested?

My biggest problem with him in camp is that he seemed to calm with everything and didn't even bother engaging or even look for the puck. Needs to be more intense and involved in the game.
After watching as much Michigan as I can the last three years, I think that's just how Merrill plays. With his size you'd like to see him ragdoll the opposition, but he does use his reach to his advantage. Tried not to read too much into this game since Merrill's missed the last three months. Michigan as a whole looked pretty disorganized.

Closed Thread