HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 10:38 PM
  #976
Waffle Board
Registered User
 
Waffle Board's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,210
vCash: 500
I was actually at the Sarnia game today, Boucher looked really good, though I will say I was surprised he got first star. It looked like his line would play the full 2 minutes on the PP, Boucher and Sarault also played 1st PK together, and the line as a whole played what seemed to me like a lot of minutes, though I don't have numbers to say it for sure and could be wrong. Boucher created a couple of real quality chances - including one short handed, had a few nice takeaways, and played a pretty solid game all around. His goal in the shootout is kind of a blur, but he made a couple moves and then tucked it in past the goalies skate. Sorry I don't have the scout's eye for more details, I just thought I'd fill you guys in on what I saw.

Waffle Board is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:49 PM
  #977
DevsFan30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
Sunday's Activity:

OHL:
Reid Boucher - -1, 1st star in Sarnia's 2-1 SO win at Niagara
*went first in SO and scored, Sarnia won SO, 2-0
40 games, 30 goals, 22 assists, +16, 34 PIM

QMJHL:
Stefan Matteau - E, 4 PIM (trip, slash), 3 shots, won 2 of 3 draws, 2 hits in BLB's 1-0 loss vs. Chicoutimi
33 games, 18 goals, 10 assists, +20, 65/95 PIM

DevsFan30 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:02 PM
  #978
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 500
Anyone know if Boucher is always on the PK this season? That would speak to having worked on his shortcomings as a guy who was known only as a shot and nothing much else.

Devils731 is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:03 PM
  #979
battlingBard56
Registered User
 
battlingBard56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Union County, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Board View Post
I was actually at the Sarnia game today, Boucher looked really good, though I will say I was surprised he got first star. It looked like his line would play the full 2 minutes on the PP, Boucher and Sarault also played 1st PK together, and the line as a whole played what seemed to me like a lot of minutes, though I don't have numbers to say it for sure and could be wrong. Boucher created a couple of real quality chances - including one short handed, had a few nice takeaways, and played a pretty solid game all around. His goal in the shootout is kind of a blur, but he made a couple moves and then tucked it in past the goalies skate. Sorry I don't have the scout's eye for more details, I just thought I'd fill you guys in on what I saw.
Ohhh man. Hard not to be excited about him with the season he's having. We have a hell of a prospect on our hands, especially if he turns into a well rounded player. (not just a shooter)

battlingBard56 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
  #980
Jack Griffin
Registered User
 
Jack Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
Gavrus is back with Owen Sound.

Jack Griffin is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
  #981
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post


CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
  #982
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan30 View Post
Sunday's Activity:

OHL:
Reid Boucher - -1, 1st star in Sarnia's 2-1 SO win at Niagara
*went first in SO and scored, Sarnia won SO, 2-0
40 games, 30 goals, 22 assists, +16, 34 PIM
That's really impressive when considering that the OHL isn't known to be a easy league to score goals in compared to the "Q" for example.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:46 PM
  #983
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Larsson's Lair
Country: United States
Posts: 18,197
vCash: 500
Merrill back, anyone know how he did and if he's 100% healed?

Chances are he plays a few games in Albany at the end of this season.

Devils Dominion is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
  #984
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Merrill back, anyone know how he did and if he's 100% healed?

Chances are he plays a few games in Albany at the end of this season.
Apparently he was the 7th D and only played on the PP. Imagine that it'll take a few weeks for him to get his skating legs to midseason form.

I wouldn't say it's 100% certain that Merrill turns pro immediately. Unless they have a 2nd half surge/win the CCHA tourney, Michigan's season will probably be done by mid-March. The semester is over in mid-May. I wouldn't be surprised if he finished the semester and made his decision over the summer.

Brodeur is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
  #985
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Merrill back, anyone know how he did and if he's 100% healed?

Chances are he plays a few games in Albany at the end of this season.
He can't. He'd have to part from college to play a professional game. Boucher was able to play, I believe, because he was originally going to Michigan State than changed his mind and went to play for Sarnia. It might just be that Boucher can play the 9 pro games or whatever it is too without using up a year of his contract.

Zippy316 is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
  #986
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
He can't. He'd have to part from college to play a professional game. Boucher was able to play, I believe, because he was originally going to Michigan State than changed his mind and went to play for Sarnia. It might just be that Boucher can play the 9 pro games or whatever it is too without using up a year of his contract.
If Merrill has decided he is going to turn pro next season, then he can play in some AHL once his college season is done this year because he is never going to use his eligibility next year anyway.

Devils731 is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 04:05 PM
  #987
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,275
vCash: 500
Michael Spath ‏@Spath_Wolverine

@umichhockey Red Berenson said that Jacob Trouba and Jon Merrill will be paired together defensively Tue. vs. Bowling Green. #atlonglast


That just doesn't seem fair

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
  #988
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
Looks like the game will be on the Big 10 Network at 7:35pm.

Hopefully that pairing meshes well for Michigan. Their PP/defense/goaltending has been subpar this year. Trouba is really aggressive in joining the rush, so it'll be interesting to see if Merrill plays more like a stay at home type to compensate.

Brodeur is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 04:22 PM
  #989
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,275
vCash: 500
Likely to be any feeds?

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 06:06 PM
  #990
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Michael Spath ‏@Spath_Wolverine

@umichhockey Red Berenson said that Jacob Trouba and Jon Merrill will be paired together defensively Tue. vs. Bowling Green. #atlonglast


That just doesn't seem fair
That is a sweet pairing. Hope Merrill comes back from injury on fire.

Saugus is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 07:30 PM
  #991
FirmestPiano
Registered User
 
FirmestPiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,342
vCash: 500

FirmestPiano is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:37 PM
  #992
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Assuming Matteau isn't suspended, I'll be at the Halifax vs BLB game Friday to watch him try to shut down Drouin MacKinnon Frk

GM17* is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 04:10 PM
  #993
Buggsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Assuming Matteau isn't suspended, I'll be at the Halifax vs BLB game Friday to watch him try to shut down Drouin MacKinnon Frk
me too, box seats centre ice woooooooo hoooooooooooooo

Buggsy is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM
  #994
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
me too, box seats centre ice woooooooo hoooooooooooooo
****in box seats

Can't justify the expense, and I doubt my friends would join for the cost if I did. Gotta try that out someday tho

GM17* is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 04:49 PM
  #995
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Larsson's Lair
Country: United States
Posts: 18,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Looks like the game will be on the Big 10 Network at 7:35pm.

Hopefully that pairing meshes well for Michigan. Their PP/defense/goaltending has been subpar this year. Trouba is really aggressive in joining the rush, so it'll be interesting to see if Merrill plays more like a stay at home type to compensate.
Reminder, game is on Big-10 Network tonight, chance to see Merrill in action.

Devils Dominion is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
  #996
Buggsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
****in box seats

Can't justify the expense, and I doubt my friends would join for the cost if I did. Gotta try that out someday tho
The company I work for has them, so i pestered so i could see BLB.

Buggsy is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
  #997
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 500
I watched most of Merrill's third period. Michigan lost 5-1, so I guess everyone played pretty crappy, but Merrill in the 3rd period should of had 2 assists.

Merrill had a faux-shot pass that froze the goalie and gave his teammate a wide open net to shovel the puck into but the guy couldn't get a handle on the puck. Merrill also found a seam during a PP that created a 2 on 0 for Michigan from the blue line in, they screwed up their pass and didn't really get a shot off.

Overall, for the only 1 period I saw, he skated really nicely, had good positioning in the defensive zone, and seemed to see the ice well on both sides of the puck.

That period by Michigan was horrible though. Their opponents were playing good systematic, disciplined hockey while Michigan looked like it had no system of game plan whatsoever, just everyone trying to make the best 1 on 1 play they can at every moment. Maybe things looked different when it was 0-0 as compared to 5-1.

Devils731 is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:02 PM
  #998
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
Watched the Michigan game and probably lost a few brain cells because of it. As Devils731 noted, the Wolverines played pretty poorly. On the bright side, Merrill wasn't on the ice for any of the five goals yielded.

Merrill looked very timid early on which was understandable. In his first couple shifts, he didn't seem to want to engage physically and seemed a bit weak on the boards. He definitely improved as the game went on. Merrill used his large wingspan to effortlessly neutralize a few zone entries. He looked just okay on the PP. His best plays were to calmly keep the puck in, but Michigan has been a mess with the man advantage this year. They only seemed to get the PP set up a few times.

Jacob Trouba didn't have his best game, but he's only a couple days removed from playing in Russia. Commentary crew noted that Trouba missed his connecting flight to Ann Arbor and is still waiting for his equipment as a result.

Brodeur is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:13 PM
  #999
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,275
vCash: 500
Did he looked engaged and interested?

My biggest problem with him in camp is that he seemed to calm with everything and didn't even bother engaging or even look for the puck. Needs to be more intense and involved in the game.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:20 PM
  #1000
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Did he looked engaged and interested?

My biggest problem with him in camp is that he seemed to calm with everything and didn't even bother engaging or even look for the puck. Needs to be more intense and involved in the game.
After watching as much Michigan as I can the last three years, I think that's just how Merrill plays. With his size you'd like to see him ragdoll the opposition, but he does use his reach to his advantage. Tried not to read too much into this game since Merrill's missed the last three months. Michigan as a whole looked pretty disorganized.

Brodeur is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.