HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils sign Bobby Butler

Old
08-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
um, the 2nd line IS the top 6, last time I checked.

he DOES have Top 6 potential if he can put up goals. just as Sykora, Tedenby, etc. do.

don't get what the big deal is with that comment....
I suppose a lot of players have top 6 potential.

The sky is the limit!!!!

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Mgd31

If he sticks around after camp, I could honestly see this ala Pamieri (not comparing the players, just the situation)

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler

Mgd31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I like the signing. I'm glad Lou didn't drop the ball, and overlook him. I think the Devils were interested in him a few years ago. We've made a couple other teams junk(Carter, Bernier, and Gio) into our treasure.

I like his potential a lot more than Tedenby though as much as I don't care for Tedenby at all I hope both are on the team. That way we have 14 forwards, and not not 13 forwards, and 8 defensemen. This is provided Sykora is not re signed, and I'm not sure if he will be. Don't know what the holdup is if Lou is interested. I thought he was holding out Sykie as a last resort if we couldn't come up with someone better. Maybe him wanting a multi year is the holdup.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Trio View Post
i think its a good signing. im just pointing out that Lou shouldn't be saying he is top 6 potential because in reality he could be an okay 2nd liner and a good 3rd liner.
The Senators dropped him because he hit a hard sophomore slump. They had unwisely signed him to a one way contract, and didn't want to pay him $500 K to play in Binghamton. It's not because they thought he wouldn't amount to anything in the NHL.

Guys have been waived, allowed to walk, or traded for nothing all the time and turned out to be much better than thought. Just because the Senators got rid of him, doesn't mean he can't have top 6 potential.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

He registered 21 points in 36 games two seasons ago. 10 goals too. That's better than Tedenby's 22 points, and 8 goals in 58 games that year.

It's kinda similar to Tedenby because Butler was one of the better players on a BAD Ottawa team at that time kinda like Tedenby was one of the really good players on a BAD Devils team for about a month there. Butler slumped a bit last season though not as bad as Tedenby. I think he's a solid addition. If he's not a top 6 guy then I think at very least he's a top 9 guy. Like I said other teams junk, our treasure.

Old
08-13-2012, 01:25 AM
kiwidevil

Yeah, Lou would have dropped the ball if he didn't sign Butler. . . .

kiwidevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Yeah, Lou would have dropped the ball if he didn't sign Butler. . . .
Relax man. Just a phrase. I didn't mean it as ''Lou would have ****ed our season up if he didn't sign Butler'' Just meant I'm glad he didn't pass him by. Quite a few on here were saying we should have picked him up when Ottawa bought him out.

Old
08-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
What I like most about this signing is how Butler met with multiple teams and chose the Devils. That could have just been a contract issue but yeah.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
What I like most about this signing is how Butler met with multiple teams and chose the Devils. That could have just been a contract issue but yeah.
true. but he is on a 2 way making close to the minimum so its not like he just took the best contract, they were all probably similar.

he wants to be here. those are the guys we need.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:30 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

we signed a guy who will have to work his ass off to make the team, let alone stay on it. me likey. good signing, lou

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:57 AM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
If he sticks around after camp, I could honestly see this ala Pamieri (not comparing the players, just the situation)

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
If Butler doesn't develop the passing sense that he seems to be missing, I don't want him playing with Kovy. We were excited that, now without Parise, Kovy will light it up and not have to dish the puck to another goal scorer on his line. If Butler is on his line, that advantage may be neutralized.

But we'll see how he develops under Pete's system. He may find a new game for himself. But, at the moment, I'd rather play him with Elias so he can pot a few and jack his confidence.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:40 AM
hockeyr5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I like the signing. I'm glad Lou didn't drop the ball, and overlook him. I think the Devils were interested in him a few years ago. We've made a couple other teams junk(Carter, Bernier, and Gio) into our treasure.

I like his potential a lot more than Tedenby though as much as I don't care for Tedenby at all I hope both are on the team. That way we have 14 forwards, and not not 13 forwards, and 8 defensemen. This is provided Sykora is not re signed, and I'm not sure if he will be. Don't know what the holdup is if Lou is interested. I thought he was holding out Sykie as a last resort if we couldn't come up with someone better. Maybe him wanting a multi year is the holdup.
Lil gio was our own junk though

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyr5 View Post
Lil gio was our own junk though
I'm gonna say he was Albany's junk! He wasn't really their most offensive player up there last year, and that was the argument a lot of people had when I said we should give him a chance.

Old
08-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Definitely skeptical about Gionta's ability to keep his play up. 16 points in 56 AHL games doesn't portend well. But we'll see, if he falters someone else can step up.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

some of you are off the rocker. legit top 6 talent/potential isn't bought out. if he wasn't needed or wanted by ottawa and he did have top 6 talent/potential he would of been traded even for just a good pick not bought out.

Old
08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
some of you are off the rocker. legit top 6 talent/potential isn't bought out. if he wasn't needed or wanted by ottawa and he did have top 6 talent/potential he would of been traded even for just a good pick not bought out.
continue arguing semantics and getting pissed off for no reason, I guess.

as I said, people will complain just to complain.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
We wanted him out of college, but Ottawa promised an NHL roster spot right off the bat.

I'm sure he was familiar with Lou from making his first decision.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Definitely skeptical about Gionta's ability to keep his play up. 16 points in 56 AHL games doesn't portend well. But we'll see, if he falters someone else can step up.
No way is he or any of our fourth liners last year gonna keep that pace up. That doesn't mean they can't be an effective fourth line though. I'll take Carter-Gio-Barch over Tedenby-Mills-Janssen any day.

Bernier is the wild card. If he becomes a consistent 3rd-liner, he could make losing Ponikarovsky sting a bit less.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:59 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
true. but he is on a 2 way making close to the minimum so its not like he just took the best contract, they were all probably similar.

he wants to be here. those are the guys we need.
Knowing we have a couple slots up for grabs helps a guys decision for sure.
Quote:
No way is he or any of our fourth liners last year gonna keep that pace up. That doesn't mean they can't be an effective fourth line though. I'll take Carter-Gio-Barch over Tedenby-Mills-Janssen any day.

Bernier is the wild card. If he becomes a consistent 3rd-liner, he could make losing Ponikarovsky sting a bit less.
Meh, I was impressed with Poni at first, but i am not sore on him leaving. I think Bernier is a player that has more heart than Poni. Plus he has been humbled a biut and like Butler, he'll have something to prove to stay. Rather have guys like that than overpaid floaters.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:

I don't think Bernier has any chance of replacing Poni's production. Poni is a possession beast and has good skating ability. Bernier is too damn slow to make himself useful in the transition game. Once the puck is deep, he's great, but he's pretty one dimensional. I think we're in trouble if we start relying on either Bernier or Carter in the top nine.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:01 PM
RNCDevil

Quote:
Lou is crazy. Players with top 6 potential do not get bought out then get signed on a 2 way, 1 year deal that is probably close to league minimum. There is a reason why he got bought out. There is a reason he got a 2 way deal.

Also, over the course of a whole season a players +/- is tremendously skewed. They get minuses for goals against that wasn't their fault (poor clear by teammate, dumbass play down lot, etc.) and get pluses for goals they really didn't have any part in.

The best way to evaluate a player is to look at their stats but also look at their role, who they are playing with, watch some actual video, etc.
Grabner. It happens. I'm not saying we should hang a hat on Butler in the top 6 but let's just see how his camp goes. I'm not sure why anyone have any other view in August.

Please don't cancel the NHL.

RNCDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Perhaps Gio and the 4th line don't produce at the pace they did last playoffs, but if they produce over the whole season what they did the entire playoffs that's more than what we got out of our 4th line last year. Most of Carter's regular season points came when he was on the 3rd line. Bernier's only regular season goal came on the 3rd line with Poni, and Zubrus I believe. Carter's goal against Lundqvist in the regular season was after a partial line change, and Josefson had a 2 on 1 with Bernier against Carolina. Or was that Carter, and Josefson? I forget.

Butler had a good 36 games in 2010/2011 on a BAD Ottawa team. Last year he had a pretty bad 50+ games with a GOOD Ottawa team, and a smaller role. I like his potential more than Tedenby I think. I think he'll be just fine. People were complaining when no moves were made, and said they just wanted something ANYTHING just to talk about something. Butler is a low risk player making less than Janssen I believe if he makes the NHL.

Old
08-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Good point, Butler should have extra motivation because he was able to choose where he plays, and he has something to prove after being bought out.

Quote:
Not if teams knew the Senators were willing to buy him out. You don't give up assets for something you can get days later for free. Also it's possible that nobody wanted that one-way deal, and wanted to sign him to a two-way deal themselves.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
apice3*

Quote:
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Carter was waived and we claimed him. Bernier was a midseason signing. Zidlicky was labeled a Cancer and probably would have been bought out if he wasn't traded. All of those players were important in our Cup run.

Just because Ottawa didn't need him doesn't mean he can't succeed elsewhere.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Carter was waived and we claimed him. Bernier was a midseason signing. Zidlicky was labeled a Cancer and probably would have been bought out if he wasn't traded. All of those players were important in our Cup run.

Just because Ottawa didn't need him doesn't mean he can't succeed elsewhere.
I never said he couldn't succeed here or be serviceable. I was simply saying he won't be a forward who comes in with his "top 6 potential" like Lamoriello said. I don't like it when GM's almost try to get our hopes up with those kind of extreme comments. Maybe just maybe he changes and becomes an extremely good scoring consistent winger on the 2nd. Though the odds are that it probably won't be that way.