Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 09:33 AM
buggs
get off my lawn

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
To me this sends the wrong message. I want to support TNSE. I'd much rather see the players be sent the message.

How about skating out to complete silence or the entire crowd turning their back on the players. That's what i'd like to see.

How can we support TNSE. Does the PA get any revenue from merch sales ? I am looking to buy a couple things but do not want to support the PA at all so I've been waiting.
Same boat...don't want to punish TNSE. I guess that at least puts me firmly in the camp of the owners, or at least one of them.

I'm not really hating on the players so much either, at least those that have the brains to be tactful when they speak or just plain shut up. I kind of like the turning the back idea. I'd like it even better if nobody clapped for anything for a couple of games. Just sat there, sipped their beers and watched the games. But it won't happen, at least based on what I read in the comments at the Sun and FreeP - lots of folks can't see past their hatred of Bettman to see that Fehr is his equal in the world of idiocy.

At this point there's a distinct part of me that wants the whole season cancelled to punish both the players and the owners as a whole for their inability to stop acting like spoiled children.

As for our group doing our draft and now having to redo it, meh, it's another opportunity to drink beers with the boys, so it's not all bad. I just liked my games and had a great spread through the season. Ah well, should have been more realistic about the chances of the season starting.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:51 AM
TCsmyth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
I heard a couple guys on H&L talking guff like this. One guy suggested putting "pressure" on US senators!?? LOL. I know this situation sucks, but this is a big business and the fact is all we fans can really do is sit back and wait for them to work it out. Then, when they start back up again, we need to support our teams if we want them to remain viable. Why would we here in Winnipeg boycott Jets games? Who are we punishing? Mark Chipman? Yeah, he's a bad dude and deserves to be punished for...erm...bringing us a franchise...errr yah.

Fehr really needs to cut the "its the NHL who chose to lock us out. We could all be happily playin and negotiatin right now if not for big bad Bettman and those mean owners!" crap. Anyone that can't see through that BS is an idiot...
Well said, and very sensible

I think this whole thing is killing TNSE, but they are just the new boys in the club. I have no interest in damaging our ownership, and hopefully whatever the end game is, it will benefit long term NHL viability in Winnipeg.

On another note, anyone else tired of Ladd? The "owners this, and owners that" crap is unbearable to me. Seems to me that our captain could be far brighter to understand that his "owner" is one of the most loyal to his players in sports, and it just feels to me every time I hear him talk, he doesn't get that he is jabbing Chipman and Thomson who would pay him very well for a long time...maybe it's just me

Old
10-05-2012, 10:14 AM
ps241
atta boy JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Well said, and very sensible

I think this whole thing is killing TNSE, but they are just the new boys in the club. I have no interest in damaging our ownership, and hopefully whatever the end game is, it will benefit long term NHL viability in Winnipeg.

On another note, anyone else tired of Ladd? The "owners this, and owners that" crap is unbearable to me. Seems to me that our captain could be far brighter to understand that his "owner" is one of the most loyal to his players in sports, and it just feels to me every time I hear him talk, he doesn't get that he is jabbing Chipman and Thomson who would pay him very well for a long time...maybe it's just me

I am a big fan of Ladd but he really chunked the one press release where he seemed to single out TNSE (the why would I organize practices situation). I would prefer he didn't get into the mudslinging and left the talking to Fehr. Any complaining or finger pointing from guys making millions is not in good taste IMHO. The players have chosen to hire Fehr so let him do his job.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:19 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I am a big fan of Ladd but he really chunked the one press release where he seemed to single out TNSE (the why would I organize practices situation). I would prefer he didn't get into the mudslinging and left the talking to Fehr. Any complaining or finger pointing from guys making millions is not in good taste IMHO. The players have chosen to hire Fehr so let him do his job.
I am increasingly uncomfortable with Fehr and his rhetoric. I have never trusted charismatic leaders with bad track records because they so often fool their own people. He has turned this into a class struggle, a morality tale, and it simply isn't.
I was working out the the other day, listening to a little Simon and Garfunkel and the song Richard Cory came on. Now I can't get the damned song out of my head. Anyone remember...

But I work in his factory
And I curse the life I'm living
And I curse my poverty
And I wish that I could be,
Oh, I wish that I could be,
Oh, I wish that I could be
Richard Cory.
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/simon+a..._20124655.html ]
The papers print his picture almost everywhere he goes:
Richard Cory at the opera, Richard Cory at a show.
And the rumor of his parties and the orgies on his yacht!
Oh, he surely must be happy with everything he's got.

But I work in his factory
And I curse the life I'm living
And I curse my poverty
And I wish that I could be,
Oh, I wish that I could be,
Oh, I wish that I could be
Richard Cory.

He freely gave to charity, he had the common touch,
And they were grateful for his patronage and thanked him very much,
So my mind was filled with wonder when the evening headlines read:
"Richard Cory went home last night and put a bullet through his head."

But I work in his factory...

If you're too young to have heard it, have a listen. It's not a perfect fit, but the point is, Fehr has got the players thinking they are the factory workers. and the owners are Richard Cory. Wrong! The fans are the factory workers and the players, by and large, are the ones who, in our eyes, "surely must be happy with everything (they've) got".
So why are they not happy? I can think of a number of possible reasons: emotional isolation and immaturity, repetitive injury (including brain injury), alcohol, untreated mental health issues...the list is long.
Fehr should get his big, fat ego in a room and start working with the league on solving some of those. They'd cost A LOT less than 57% of HRR and make his players a lot happier. More HRR won't make them any happier.
Pathetic!

Old
10-05-2012, 11:36 AM
SensibleGuy

Y'know, in a funny way I actually think this lockout is a good thing for the Jets. I mean in all likelihood when things start up again the new CBA is going to be a better deal for the owners meaning it'll be a bit easier for small markets to compete. In the interim while the league is shut down, we fans in winnipeg get a nice little reminder of just how much it sucked not having a team to follow all winter long. After the high of last season and all that crazy energy, I could easily see a sort of "sophomore jinx" settling in for this second season. That level of energy is tough to maintain - especially if the team got off to a bad start. The lockout is sort of a chance for us to re-energize and for anticipation to build all over again. When they do come back it'll almost be like The Jets 2.5...

Old
10-05-2012, 11:41 AM
SensibleGuy

Re: Ladds interview on H&L yesterday, it almost sounded to me like he didn't have a very good grasp of the situation when he started talking about the amount of $ the players stand to lose in the event of a cancelled season. He seems to think the players still lose more by agreeing to the last offer of the league even if the whole season is cancelled. Hustler was making the point that a cancelled season costs the players 57% of 3.5 billion which would be about 2B. Ladd figures the players stand to lose 1 billion over the next three years in the last offer from the league and seems to think thats a worse loss... In fact it almost sounded to me like Ladd realized while he was talking that what he was saying didn't really add up...

Old
10-05-2012, 12:43 PM
KingSalamon

Is it me or is Fehr worse than Bettman? Perhaps all the years and lockouts with Bettman as a bad guy etc has begun to seem normal. Fehr though, seems smug in his situation whereas Bettman and Daly seem frustrated that the PA doesn't want to do anything.

With the cancellation of all these games to this point, and my pledge to skip twice as many, I may be selling all my tickets for this season if this keeps up. Perhaps I will sell them to seat exchange so that TNSE can make some coin off the tickets... at this point I'm losing interest in the NHL. Time to go take my son skating and play on the ice with him.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

I fully support TNSE and Chipman.

They are the ones who worked so hard for 15 years to bring an NHL franchise back to Winnipeg.

The players are delusional and completely brainwashed by Fehr. Ladd's comments yesterday regarding the players losing more money if they accepted the NHL 47% offer was laughable. Seriously Andrew, stick to hockey and stop talking about the CBA negotiations.

If people thought Goodenow was bad - Fehr is worse. This guy could seriously destroy the game.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:42 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
Y'know, in a funny way I actually think this lockout is a good thing for the Jets. I mean in all likelihood when things start up again the new CBA is going to be a better deal for the owners meaning it'll be a bit easier for small markets to compete. In the interim while the league is shut down, we fans in winnipeg get a nice little reminder of just how much it sucked not having a team to follow all winter long. After the high of last season and all that crazy energy, I could easily see a sort of "sophomore jinx" settling in for this second season. That level of energy is tough to maintain - especially if the team got off to a bad start. The lockout is sort of a chance for us to re-energize and for anticipation to build all over again. When they do come back it'll almost be like The Jets 2.5...
Ps241 said this a long time ago. I know it sucks, but sure willbe great when it is back...again

Old
10-05-2012, 07:11 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
The brothers Fehr apparently met with Daly and Bettman in Toronto today without the usual press fanfare and hijinks.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:54 PM
SensibleGuy

yeah, thats a vaguely positive sign...

Old
10-06-2012, 04:50 AM
Gaald

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Same boat...don't want to punish TNSE. I guess that at least puts me firmly in the camp of the owners, or at least one of them.

I'm not really hating on the players so much either, at least those that have the brains to be tactful when they speak or just plain shut up. I kind of like the turning the back idea. I'd like it even better if nobody clapped for anything for a couple of games. Just sat there, sipped their beers and watched the games. But it won't happen, at least based on what I read in the comments at the Sun and FreeP - lots of folks can't see past their hatred of Bettman to see that Fehr is his equal in the world of idiocy.

At this point there's a distinct part of me that wants the whole season cancelled to punish both the players and the owners as a whole for their inability to stop acting like spoiled children.

As for our group doing our draft and now having to redo it, meh, it's another opportunity to drink beers with the boys, so it's not all bad. I just liked my games and had a great spread through the season. Ah well, should have been more realistic about the chances of the season starting.
I see your guys point, and I agree I don't blame Chipman for this whole fiasco, but I do blame the league as a whole and the players even more so. It's just happened way to many times now, and the greed this time around is just to much to stomach.

Having said that, I too can't wait to watch the Jets start up their season, I can't wait until I get to go to my next game, with the Jersey I was finally able to afford at the end of the last season, and yell my ass off.

But I still like the idea of the fans sending a strong message when the games start back up, and there is no better message than an empty arena. I'm not advocating boycotting an entire season, but it would be amazing to see the fan base rally around the idea of boycotting their first games. If I actually thought this idea was possible (it's a pipe dream I know) I would have no issue with giving up seeing one more game live. It would be worth it just so I could see it all go down on TV. It would be amazing!

Old
10-06-2012, 07:17 AM
ps241
atta boy JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
Is it me or is Fehr worse than Bettman? Perhaps all the years and lockouts with Bettman as a bad guy etc has begun to seem normal. Fehr though, seems smug in his situation whereas Bettman and Daly seem frustrated that the PA doesn't want to do anything.

With the cancellation of all these games to this point, and my pledge to skip twice as many, I may be selling all my tickets for this season if this keeps up. Perhaps I will sell them to seat exchange so that TNSE can make some coin off the tickets... at this point I'm losing interest in the NHL. Time to go take my son skating and play on the ice with him.
I do have to admit I am puzzled by Fehr's tactics to this point. I guess I am just too pragmatic in my thought process but if the players continue to stonewall on the big issues and loose half a season or more leveraging the lock out to soften the owners up I will not get the play at all? MAYBE they will get a marginally better deal when the smoke clears but it seems like a really high price to pay no? I just didn't see this as a hill the players would be willing to die on (this time around) but I underestimated Fehr's ability to sell this to the players as them being wronged.

I qualify this by saying this has been the easy part so far for the players because they haven't missed their first paycheck yet so perhaps the strategy will make complete sense a month from now if they are back playing hockey.

Last edited by ps241: 10-06-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old
10-06-2012, 09:41 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
Even still, after they miss a pay cheque or two
With allot of high profile players stealing jobs in europe... They are now getting a pay cheque.

There wont be a sense of urgency.

Old
10-06-2012, 09:50 AM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Even still, after they miss a pay cheque or two
With allot of high profile players stealing jobs in europe... They are now getting a pay cheque.

There wont be a sense of urgency.
The guys that can't get jobs overseas are the ones who will begin to put pressure on the Fehr brothers....I like the NHL stance that they will only cancel 6 weeks of hockey before they scrap the season....the idea of this drawing on until February is painful...make a deal or don't and move on

Old
10-06-2012, 10:41 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
The guys that can't get jobs overseas are the ones who will begin to put pressure on the Fehr brothers....I like the NHL stance that they will only cancel 6 weeks of hockey before they scrap the season....the idea of this drawing on until February is painful...make a deal or don't and move on
I agree.
Get this done, or call it a day.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

loved the tweet in today's sports section, basically saying:
get the four of them on a plane and the deal has to be signed before it runs out of fuel, no parachutes allowed

now that would create a sense of urgency

Old
10-06-2012, 12:10 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
loved the tweet in today's sports section, basically saying:
get the four of them on a plane and the deal has to be signed before it runs out of fuel, no parachutes allowed

now that would create a sense of urgency
...and once the deal is signed leave Bettman on the plane anyway

Old
10-06-2012, 12:13 PM
EpicGingy

vCash: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
...and once the deal is signed leave Bettman on the plane anyway
Don't forget Fehr

Old
10-06-2012, 12:16 PM
EpicGingy

vCash: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Wait, so once we get to around mid-November, and if there's no deal, they'll just cancel the entire season?

I think the PA should stop trying to break the owners

Old
10-06-2012, 12:39 PM
mondo3

Quote:
I like the NHL stance that they will only cancel 6 weeks of hockey before they scrap the season.
Isn't that just a rumour?

Old
10-06-2012, 01:02 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Isn't that just a rumour?
Yeah I just heard it on H&L yesterday....they said two more two week chunks will be scrapped and the next one after that would mean the season since the winter classic would be part of the next cuts?????

Old
10-06-2012, 01:18 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Call me an eternal optimist, but I think there's going to be some positive movement this week. Meeting with sponsors on Weds, "quiet" meeting in TO between the Fehr's and Bettman/Daly. I think something's up.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Call me an eternal optimist, but I think there's going to be some positive movement this week. Meeting with sponsors on Weds, "quiet" meeting in TO between the Fehr's and Bettman/Daly. I think something's up.

I hope your right. I keep saying to myself "oh that's positive' but I don't rwallyy believe it anymore

Old
10-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Diatidialga

On TSN last night they said that they were having small in person talks last night, it seems that there is a small sense of urgency now.

Closed Thread