HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Quick Undergoes Back Procedure

Old
08-10-2012, 04:05 AM
Mr Los Angeles

vCash: 500
looks like bernier might get a couple more starts than normal at the start of the season. playing well in those starts can only increase his trade value

Mr Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:34 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Turbulence View Post
Invasive surgery isn't always the way to go. As written in the article - Quick and the Kings had been aware of the back issue since the start of summer, but that therapy, and not a surgical procedure, had initially been recommended. It just wasn't coming along quite as quick as they'd hoped, so now they opted for the Surgery at a time that should still allow him to be ready around camp-time. Assuming there is a camp on time, of course.
Thatís exactly it, you donít just jump straight into a surgery. As someone thatís had a triple lamidectomy and just yesterday had a Synovial Cyst on my spinal cord the size of a dime removed from the area where my L4/L5 Facets used to be, Surgery is the LAST resort, not the first, second or even third option.

First thing for a normal person like me is Pain Management and Physical Therapy. For top notch athlete like Quick its probably visa versa, PT then PM if PM at all. Surgery is 2 or 3 steps up the ladder.

When I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis in my L3, L4 and L5 in 2010, we tried PM and PT. When that didnít work, we went to PM, PT and Decompression Therapy. After that we went to PM, PT, DT and Laser and Ultrasonic Therapy. After that we went into a Lamidectomy, a highly invasive major bone removal surgery with a recovery period of 1 year with PM and PT.

nocturn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:48 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Does Huet for insurance make more sense now???
No, Bernier makes more sense as insurance against Quick missing any time.

This is exactly why you don't trade Bernier unless the price is right, and until Quick makes a full recovery.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:52 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Do you really think that the fans will support JQ if he struggles game after game upon his return and can't find his game? Some may, but many will jump ship and support JB.
Fans expect the coach to play the goalie that gives the team the best chance to win.

That doesn't mean the fans would turn on Jon Quick. He just won the Conn Smythe, so that isn't going to happen. Quick would get every opportunity to play and be the #1 goalie we all know he is capable of being.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:25 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Fans expect the coach to play the goalie that gives the team the best chance to win.

That doesn't mean the fans would turn on Jon Quick. He just won the Conn Smythe, so that isn't going to happen. Quick would get every opportunity to play and be the #1 goalie we all know he is capable of being.
Here's the scenario:

JB goes on a hot winning streak in JQ's absence. Upon JQ's return, JB sits on the bench (and rightly so) . JQ struggles game after game, letting in one soft goal after another and is struggling to find his game.

Do you really think that it's that far fetched to say that fans will be demanding that JB be the starter? I'm not saying what Sutter will do. I'm just saying in a given scenario, fans will turn on JQ and support JB being the starter.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Here's the scenario:

JB goes on a hot winning streak in JQ's absence. Upon JQ's return, JB sits on the bench (and rightly so) . JQ struggles game after game, letting in one soft goal after another and is struggling to find his game.

Do you really think that it's that far fetched to say that fans will be demanding that JB be the starter? I'm not saying what Sutter will do. I'm just saying in a given scenario, fans will turn on JQ and support JB being the starter.
It would take an extended period of time for that to happen. In your scenario if Quick were to come back and play that poorly there is nothing that prevents the Kings from sending Quick down to Manchester on a conditioning assignment to get a lot of playing time while Bernier handles the load in LA.

Once Quick returned to form, he would be the #1 again most likely.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
It would take an extended period of time for that to happen. In your scenario if Quick were to come back and play that poorly there is nothing that prevents the Kings from sending Quick down to Manchester on a conditioning assignment to get a lot of playing time while Bernier handles the load in LA.

Once Quick returned to form, he would be the #1 again most likely.
Again, I'm not saying what management or Sutter will do. I'm saying how fans would react to JQ struggling. Many will hit the panic button and you know it.

I'm just relieved that we still have Bernier.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:39 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Oh you mean that opportunity after the starter signed a lifetime contract?

Yea that's exactly the opportunity Bernier has been looking for.....

Judging by your responses Black..you aren't aware...Quick is our starter, and carried the team to the Stanley Cup. He also just signed a 10 year contract. Just keepin ya in the loop that's all.
I don't think he meant JB will steal JQ's job. I think this is the perfect opportunity for JB (and the team) to get JB some work and showcase him for a later trade. If he does well, it will up his value. That's all. I'm a fan of both goalies. JQ is the starter. JB needs work to prove himself to the NHL.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Update from Hammond:

Quote:
[UPDATE: Just had a quick chat with assistant general manager Ron Hextall. Hextall said Quick and the Kings had been aware of the back issue since the start of summer, but that therapy, and not a surgical procedure, had initially been recommended. Hextall said that the recovery, through therapy, ``wasn't coming along quite like we hoped, so the next step was to go this route.'' Hextall said Quick should be ready for full activity ``sometime around'' the scheduled start of training camp, but noted that every player's recovery time is different. That also assumes, of course, that training camp will start on time...]
http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/08/09...ack-procedure/

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

His back obviously needed surgery! When you carry the weight of the Kings franchise through the middle of the season like he did, it's no wonder!

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:15 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
His back obviously needed surgery! When you carry the weight of the Kings franchise through the middle of the season like he did, it's no wonder!
You're right. Carrying an entire team on his back definitely took a toll on Quickie.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote