HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FWIW Sports Forecaster picks Canucks...

Old
08-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
FWIW Sports Forecaster picks Canucks...

... 6th in the west and 3rd behind Colorado winning the division and Minnesota. Are the Canucks really that bad? Have they lost that much of a step? Who did the Canucks piss off at the Sports forecaster?

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

That's a pretty generous assumption for Colorado, IMO. I do think the NW will be tighter next year - with Minnesota in particular having bulked up - but while Colorado is on the right track, I don't see them contending for the division just yet. Nor do I see the Canucks falling off that badly.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
That's a pretty generous assumption for Colorado, IMO. I do think the NW will be tighter next year - with Minnesota in particular having bulked up - but while Colorado is on the right track, I don't see them contending for the division just yet. Nor do I see the Canucks falling off that badly.
Same. But an interesting take.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Huh? What did Colorado do this offseason? Why not jump on the Minwagon like everyone else

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

No way that Minny and the Avs will be top in the division.
People are blinded by the $$$$$$$$$$ contracts.
Minny still plays a boring style of play and Colorado is still only a few notches better than the Oil.

You guys will take it, it might be close, but Canucks will still win the division.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Lundface

I don't see anything wrong with predicting us to be 6th. Just like we overachieved last season, we can underachieve this season.

As long as we make the playoffs I'm happy

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:09 PM
thecupismine

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some people's opinion are just worthless. Barring crazy amounts of injuries or lockout-shortened season (in which there will probably be tons of surprises due to the smaller sample size of games), there is no plausible way that they come third in the division.

thecupismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:13 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
Minny still plays a boring style of play and Colorado is still only a few notches better than the Oil.

You guys will take it, it might be close, but Canucks will still win the division.
This

KidCanuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

What the hell...Colorado? That's a weird one.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Maybe in the draft lottery when the season is canceled.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
... 6th in the west and 3rd behind Colorado winning the division and Minnesota. Are the Canucks really that bad? Have they lost that much of a step? Who did the Canucks piss off at the Sports forecaster?
Colorado winning the division? Who did they pick-up in the offseason? I'm picking Vancouver and Minnesota battling it out for the division title and whoever wins the division finishes 1st or 2nd in the conference. Colorado still isn't a huge threat, and who knows what Edmonton will do this year with all their young guns. and well... Calgary is just Calgary.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Slapshot_11

Not having two #1 goalies will hurt us a bit but I think we can still take the division

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post

I got Edmonton as my wild card for this year, who knows what they could do with all the young guns, their Top 6 right now is looking pretty damn good. between Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Gagner and Jones, there isn't much flaw there except for experience and a bit of size. Other than that, The Oilers don't look to bad. Hopefully Duby and the rest of their defense can hold the fort.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
I got Edmonton as my wild card for this year, who knows what they could do with all the young guns, their Top 6 right now is looking pretty damn good. between Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Gagner and Jones, there isn't much flaw there except for experience and a bit of size. Other than that, The Oilers don't look to bad. Hopefully Duby and the rest of their defense can hold the fort.
Schultz is a big X-Factor. Their offensive power is (or is going to be) frightening, but their defense and netminding are both shaky. If/when they get those shored up, they're going to be a force. But at the moment, I still see those as big weaknesses.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:48 PM
aandbreatheme

Like I said before, if the season is shortened I think we could end up getting #4 position or further down. The Canucks take a bit of time to find their game every year...

Oh, and Edmonton can rot in a heaping pile of trash.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:59 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Schultz is a big X-Factor. Their offensive power is (or is going to be) frightening, but their defense and netminding are both shaky. If/when they get those shored up, they're going to be a force. But at the moment, I still see those as big weaknesses.
Schultz is more of an offensive defenseman though, which they needed too. Now they just need a shutdown pair, and a goalie. Some size up front wouldn't hurt either.

08-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Schultz is more of an offensive defenseman though, which they needed too. Now they just need a shutdown pair, and a goalie. Some size up front wouldn't hurt either.
they can have Andrew Alberts for a few ice times and a bag of pucks.

but yeah, i'm still kind of pissed they didn't pick Ryan Murray 1st overall. At least my favorite prospect wouldn't have to go to the Columbus Bust Jackets..

Old
08-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Havre

I haven't seen the rationale behind that prediction, but in my opinion people are too critical when no changes are made. We haven't made all that many changes over the last two seasons - which for some reason then becomes the assumption that we at some point got to become weaker. If the Sedin's etc. had been 35 - then maybe I could have understood. As it stands we got a core where I wouldn't expect anyone to become weaker due to them getting one year older - quite the opposite. The Sedin's being the best example - considering their style they should become even better with age for at least a couple of more years (assuming no serious injuries).

I think we will focus more on being healthy than ever come play offs. That might mean that we won't win the division, but we should still be clear favourites. We could have a team with:

a) A fully fit Kesler
b) Booth that finds some sort of chemistry with someone
c) Kassian that gives us the physical presence we have sometimes lacked
d) A fully fit Raymond that scores 25 goals again
e) Malhotra back to 100% or almost 100% again

Give us 2 of those and we will walk the Division. Give us 4 and we'll have a very decent shot at a Stanley Cup win. Give us all 5 and it would take something very special to stop us.

Havre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:28 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Phahhahahaha. Too funny.

Avs, no way.

The only way the Wild top the Canucks is if their rookies far far surpass expectations.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:40 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
I don't see anything wrong with predicting us to be 6th. Just like we overachieved last season, we can underachieve this season.

As long as we make the playoffs I'm happy
Overachieved? Really?

They put in a lousy effort for half th season. Then they got easily knocked out in the first round.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:52 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

I like the Avs this year, I think they'll surprise a lot of people. (Minnesota fans mostly, I don't see them finishing ahead of the Canucks)

I have an ongoing bet going that Colorado will finish ahead of Minnesota. I got 2:1 odds, so I figured why not?

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:56 PM
billvanseattle

i think "over achieved" means we won the PT. Cheerful aren't we.

And we lost in the first round to a strong "over achieving" LA team.

And speaking of "over achieving" will this be the year where we finally have an "over achieving" rookie FORWARD do something. We have Jensen, Gaunce, Kassian and Schroeder all possibly ready to show something.

We also have Connauton, Sauve, Tanev (technically) and Lack who could also surprise and provide significant depth.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:02 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Minny could surprise and win the division but that's a long shot. Avs are a playoff bubble team, though, and are probably a 50/50 shot to make the playoffs. I'd say the Canucks have a 85-90% chance of taking the NW, and at worst will finish 5th in the West.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Quote:
Looking at advanced stats, the reason why we were so terrible is our bottom 6 forwards and bottom 3 defenseman. Smid, Petry, and Whitney/N.Schultz were ok.
But the rest were terrible. Hopefully adding Justin will help that out.
PP was amazing, PK was pretty good.
And we could not hold any leads, the team was mentally weak and I think having Kruger as a new coach will help, as he did talk Schultz into coming here (At least thats what Justin said).

Dubnyk is a question mark... He can be lights out some nights and let in the weakest goals in others. So its definitely going to come down to the bottom pairing D, goaltending and bottom 6 forwards.

I just want to be ahead of Calgary hahahaha

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Yammer

Quote:
I got Edmonton as my wild card for this year, who knows what they could do with all the young guns, their Top 6 right now is looking pretty damn good.
As a fan of hockey it is going to be cool seeing all that young talent gel together, Pittburgh West.

As a fan of the Canucks it is going to suck hard! They sure were hard to stomach in the 80s...coming in here, lazing around for 2 1/2 periods and then scoring five goals with insulting ease. I don't expect that from them soon or ever, but it is going to be almost as bad, as the Canucks are aging now.

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote