HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Keith Ballard

Old
08-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

vCash: 500
Keith Ballard

What's his value on HFboards?

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Intense Rage

vCash: 50
4.2m for a defensman who has struggled to stay healthy and has spent the rest of the time on the 3rd pairing. I would say he is not far from Mike Komisarek territory. As in not a chance in hell you get anything significant for him. I would bet the Canucks would have trouble dumping that contract without taking on an equaly bad contract.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I wouldn't let him go for less than a 1st, other teams would probably only offer 2nd+3rd.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:51 PM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I wouldn't let him go for less than a 1st, other teams would probably only offer 2nd+3rd.
this is why I love my fellow vancouver canuck fans and how we wear such rose coloured glasses with Ballard. He is out 5-6 defender and someone wants a first rounder for a guy who has been a healthy scratch on many nights

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
this is why I love my fellow vancouver canuck fans and how we wear such rose coloured glasses with Ballard. He is out 5-6 defender and someone wants a first rounder for a guy who has been a healthy scratch on many nights
Because I think he will bounce back. I know he's not worth that, but I wouldn't let him go for less.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:05 PM
biturbo19

He may not be worth a 1st rounder in the eyes of many these days, but it doesn't make any sense at all to ship him out for much less than that. He isn't a great fit in Vancouver and hasn't played up to expectations here, but he's still a useful bottom-pairing guy here with a bit of upside if he ever gets back on track. He showed signs of coming around at times last year. Considering what we gave up for him, it would be silly to move him out for a pitiful return/cap dump. No need to move him out just for the sake of moving him, unless there are other moves that actually put us right up against the cap.

As it stands, having a bottom-pairing guy with the potential to move up the lineup a little bit if injuries start piling up, is more valuable than a 2nd/3rd round pick or an alternative 'bad contract' as some suggest his value is.

For Ballard's sake, it would be nice to move him. The guy could really use a fresh start somewhere else. But there's no reason to move him just to see if he rebounds, unless we're getting something equally serviceable back.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:08 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 View Post
What's his value on HFboards?
Not much . I have an half eaten Mars bar .

He may be able to get back to where he was before he came to the Canucks , but it is a risk .

I think the Canucks should keep him and hope he can find his game again ,no since selling low .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:10 PM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Because I think he will bounce back. I know he's not worth that, but I wouldn't let him go for less.
Sorry, Canuck fans looks at what we gave up to get him and try to justify that move and try to get it back. Ballard has never been a good d-man on a good team. On all teams he played top minutes on were lower level teams with little or no depth on the line. Ballard's problems are exposed when he played under the spot light and pressure. He just is not that good of a player and he is my vote for a buy-out when the grace period kicks in after the cba

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Jeff Schultz. Caps and Nucks swap defenders with multiple years left at more than they're worth. Both have seen better days as top pairing guys on weaker defenses, but have regressed and are now on the bottom pairing. The Nucks are much closer to the cap, so I assume they'd be willing to take the lesser player in the deal since Schultz is nearly 1.5M cheaper and has one fewer year on his contract. Sound good to you guys?

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:11 PM
ronnyweed

Connolly straight up

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Connolly straight up
I would consider that. Connoly can work wih Schroeder to fill he 2/3C holes while Kesler's out, and eiher he or Schroeder will settle into the 3C spot depending on performance.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:37 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Sorry, Canuck fans looks at what we gave up to get him and try to justify that move and try to get it back. Ballard has never been a good d-man on a good team. On all teams he played top minutes on were lower level teams with little or no depth on the line. Ballard's problems are exposed when he played under the spot light and pressure. He just is not that good of a player and he is my vote for a buy-out when the grace period kicks in after the cba
Exposed under the spotlight? What are you talking about? He was our best defenseman in the playoffs against LA this year.

Canucks fans look at his first season in Vancouver and think that's his full potential. He's been great for us ever since the team turned the corner last November. Just because he had a rough first year in Van coming off major surgery and battling for minutes on the most stacked blueline in the league (behind Hamhuis, Bieksa, Erhoff, Edler and Salo) doesn't mean he's a useless player.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Connolly straight up
I think that would give everyone a good laugh. Komisarek and Ballard will be the most expensive third pairing in the NHL. Along with that you will have one for 2 more years and the other for 3. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:49 PM
hockeywoot

Ballard's trade value isn't as low as many say. (Though not as high as others suggest)

With some of the deals, low-calibre UFA d-men are getting, his deal doesn't look quite as bad.

Also, he's never gonna get his shot here. He's guilty of not being better than Hamhuis and Edler.
None of these three seem to be able to play on their off-side. That creates a log-jam on LD.

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Cogburn

We won't get what we feel he is worth.

I want to see how Ballard preforms to begin the season, and if he can start the way he finished. Also, going with the theory of Garrison coming in as a possible Edler replacement, or in the event of him being injured, I'd be excited to see what a Ballard-Garrison pairing would do.

I offered Raymond+Ballard for Schultz+pick and a few Caps fans loved it, but that's only in the event we need to clear space for Doan.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Nashville's 2nd, or Montreal's 3rd + Kaberle.

He really doesn't carry the value some Canuck fans think he does...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Nashville's 2nd, or Montreal's 3rd + Kaberle.

He really doesn't carry the value some Canuck fans think he does...
Right now we have no reason to trade him for anything less than overpayment, since his value is at an all time low. If we need the cap space desperately, then I wouldn't mind letting him go(preferably to Philly, out of conference, and is he perfect place to let him bounce back due to offensive style and open slots) for a 2nd.

Old
08-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Right now we have no reason to trade him for anything less than overpayment, since his value is at an all time low. If we need the cap space desperately, then I wouldn't mind letting him go(preferably to Philly, out of conference, and is he perfect place to let him bounce back due to offensive style and open slots) for a 2nd.
And nobody wants an overpaid struggling d unless it's a 1 for 1.

Better if the nucks keep him

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Derp Kassian

He was great in the playoffs vs LA, a case of holding value to a team with a bad caphit but he shows flashes he can bounce back + has the ability to slide into the top 4. Canucks get weaker on D dumping him. Would need a steady D type to make me consider moving him.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Ballard has never been a good d-man on a good team.
Ballard carried over some bad habits when he came here 2011 and had a tough year with injuries. Last season, his play was much improved but he still struggled with injuries. He finished the season very strong and IMO, the Canucks have almost turned Ballard into the player he can be. Now is not the time to trade him.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:33 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Babchuck + Jackman if we move Jbo.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:42 PM
DJOpus

As a Canucks fan, 1st or bust.

Players values don't fall as fast in real life as they do on HFBoards.

Ballard was traded for a 1st and Grabner recently and has had two injury plagued seasons. A few GMs would be willing to bet that he has a bounce back this year after his first healthy offseason in Vancouver.

(Previously, Ballard was the centrepiece of a trade for a 1st line centre - Jokinen who was coming off three big years in Florida 34-39 goals and 71-91 points).

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:48 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Jeff Schultz. Caps and Nucks swap defenders with multiple years left at more than they're worth. Both have seen better days as top pairing guys on weaker defenses, but have regressed and are now on the bottom pairing. The Nucks are much closer to the cap, so I assume they'd be willing to take the lesser player in the deal since Schultz is nearly 1.5M cheaper and has one fewer year on his contract. Sound good to you guys?
That would be an interesting swap.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:53 PM
SufferingCatFan

This board is an unfortunate example of why it has become so difficult to engage in a reasoned discussion about value with so many Nucks fans.

Only in the Nucks universe is an injury prone, 5-6 d-man, who is a frequent scratch, on a $4.2 million contract worth a minimum of a 1st rounder.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
This board is an unfortunate example of why it has become so difficult to engage in a reasoned discussion about value with so many Nucks fans.

Only in the Nucks universe is an injury prone, 5-6 d-man, who is a frequent scratch, on a $4.2 million contract worth a minimum of a 1st rounder.
Only on HF can people who obviously haven't watched him play in over a year determine his trade value.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote