HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Softest NHL Team

Old
09-05-2012, 10:05 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
First, Kaleta is a pretty good fighter. Most fans agree, even the ones who can't stand him and cheer for him to be injured. A prediction that Kaleta would draw with any middleweight, even if you disagree, definitely isn't in the "joke" category. Predicting Gregory Campbell to draw with McQuaid (or Kaleta) would be a joke. Gregory Campbell is a terrible fighter who loses 99% of his fights.

Second, Lucic beat up Kaleta. Kaleta is a middle weight and Lucic is a heavyweight. That's usually what happens when middleweights go with heavyweights. What heavy weights has McQuaid dropped his gloves with? Unless we are talking about a different McQuaid, there's definitely nothing in his fight card that suggests he's a clear step above Kaleta. Sure as hell nothing to suggest he's anywhere near Lucic, lol. Realize the reason you and so many other Boston fans are so high on McQuaid is because of how easy he has it playing in Boston where he's never burdened with having to step up to a Lucic the way Kaleta was. The reason Kaleta was fighting Lucic was because the Sabres didn't have a Chara, Thornton, or Lucic last year to step in front of him like McQuaid has.
Have you seen mcquaid fight? he doesn't throw punches for punches sake. He throws them to hurt people. He's got an edge that when hes going is scary. If you think he'd back of fights to the likes of kaleta you are dreaming. Where did this theory come from that kaleta is a good fighter? or even a good middleweight? I think campbell could give him a good fight. Looch made him look like a rag doll and i think mcquaid is stronger than looch.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:16 AM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
Have you seen mcquaid fight? he doesn't throw punches for punches sake. He throws them to hurt people. He's got an edge that when hes going is scary. If you think he'd back of fights to the likes of kaleta you are dreaming. Where did this theory come from that kaleta is a good fighter? or even a good middleweight? I think campbell could give him a good fight. Looch made him look like a rag doll and i think mcquaid is stronger than looch.
Until he steps up and adds a legit fighter to his fight card it's just rhetoric. You think he's stronger than Lucic based on what? Lucic took on Carkner. Who did McQuaid step up vs? Konopka? You know Konopka has a bit of a rep as a punching bag right?

As far as Kaleta being a good fighter it's based on his fights. Where else would it come from?

pigpen65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:31 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Until he steps up and adds a legit fighter to his fight card it's just rhetoric. You think he's stronger than Lucic based on what? Lucic took on Carkner. Who did McQuaid step up vs? Konopka? You know Konopka has a bit of a rep as a punching bag right?

As far as Kaleta being a good fighter it's based on his fights. Where else would it come from?
hes lost to luke schenn.. tied up hanzal.. yes hanzal. He drawed with matt martin at best who landed more shots. draws or maybe a slight edge over ott, and he trips nathan horton and then just turtles. Oh ya.. O'Bryne... should i keep on going? You are right mcquaid doesn't have to fight anyone since the other guys can. But that doesn't mean hes soft at all.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:23 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
hes lost to luke schenn.. tied up hanzal.. yes hanzal. He drawed with matt martin at best who landed more shots. draws or maybe a slight edge over ott, and he trips nathan horton and then just turtles. Oh ya.. O'Bryne... should i keep on going? You are right mcquaid doesn't have to fight anyone since the other guys can. But that doesn't mean hes soft at all.

I think there will be a good amount of friction between the teams this season, if there is a season, so we'll just have to be patient and bump the thread when it comes time. And i never said that McQuaid was soft. You are having an argument vs yourself. I said there's no evidence from his fight card to support the opinion that he's the level you are putting him at.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

Quote:
Who did McQuaid step up vs? Konopka? You know Konopka has a bit of a rep as a punching bag right?

Konopka is not a punching bag. He's not the greatest fighter in the league, but he's no Zack Stortini.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:14 AM
BlueDream

I'm surprised that some of the UFA's are still available (Winchester, Commodore, Vandermeer). Seems like they could help some teams.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Bruise Bros 2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I'm surprised that some of the UFA's are still available (Winchester, Commodore, Vandermeer). Seems like they could help some teams.
I think they will sign with teams after the CBA is negotiated. Teams like Carolina can use a guy like Rosehill or Winchester.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:18 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
I think there will be a good amount of friction between the teams this season, if there is a season, so we'll just have to be patient and bump the thread when it comes time. And i never said that McQuaid was soft. You are having an argument vs yourself. I said there's no evidence from his fight card to support the opinion that he's the level you are putting him at.
Very true.. We'll have to see. Just seeing how mcquaid fought in ahl and nhl he just fights like a mean mother****er. I think when we play (hopefully soon) there will be at least 1 or 2 maylay games that will be exciting.

Old
09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Didn't Kaleta refuse to fight McQuaid then skate off acting tough?

yeah that happened

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:58 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Didn't Kaleta refuse to fight McQuaid then skate off acting tough?

yeah that happened
Shouldn't surprise anyone. One of the fakest tough guys. Him with Ott and Gerbe will be the embarrassing as ****.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:12 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Scott vs Lucic = win Scott
Regehr vs Chara = win Chara
McCormick vs Thornton = Draw / edge Thornton
Kaleta vs McQuaid = Draw
Tropp vs Horton = win Tropp
Anybody vs Campbell = win Sabres player
Foligno vs anybody left = win Foligno
And then Weber, Ott, and McNabb are around for anybody else.
Lucic wouldn't fight Scott if Scott even plays.

Then

Scott vs Thornton- Draw maybe a slight edge on Scott for quality of punches.
Regehr vs Horton. Draw.
McCormick vs McQuaid- McQuaid or draw.
Boychuk vs Kaleta- Draw.
Ference vs Tropp- Draw.
Ott vs Chara- Chara easily
Lucic vs Foligno- Lucic easily
Weber vs Campbell- Draw
Seidenberg vs whoever- Seids
MacDermid vs whoever- Mac

Boston could make it a bloodbath. Even if they waste vastly superior players for 5 mins because of your scrubs/pedestrian players.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:32 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Volpatti is actually a pretty good scrapper. Weise is the punching bag - I don't think he won a single fight last season, which is made even more alarming by the fact that he is a bit of a spot picker.
You can't lose every fight you have and be a spot picker. Weise loses every fight, I'm pretty sure every single player in the league could beat him when means he's always challenging someone tougher than himself.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:20 AM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post

Then

Regehr vs Horton. Draw.
Boychuk vs Kaleta- Draw.
Ference vs Tropp- Draw.
Weber vs Campbell- Draw

Boston could make it a bloodbath. Even if they waste vastly superior players for 5 mins because of your scrubs/pedestrian players.
Oh, Lucic won't fight Scott? Okay. Then Foligno won't fight Lucic. Foligno vs Sequin = win Foligno. Buffalo could make it a blood bath.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:20 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
Very true.. We'll have to see. Just seeing how mcquaid fought in ahl and nhl he just fights like a mean mother****er. I think when we play (hopefully soon) there will be at least 1 or 2 maylay games that will be exciting.
It's kind of a weird thing. When i was a kid, the Bruins were the Sabres biggest rival because of the Bruins dominance of them up till the early 90's. I remember somebody gave me a Bruins cap when i was about 8 or 9, before i was a hockey fan, and walking around Buffalo with that on would get so much reaction. I always had to explain that i wasn't a Bruins fan, it was just a hat somebody had given me. The pinnacle of the rivalry was the May day goal, then it just stopped basically. The biggest rival for Sabres fans turned to Toronto once they entered the division, but even that was never a heated rivalry. There was a couple years where it was Ottawa, a little bit with Carolina, but that was it. Until last year the Sabres rivalries had basically disappeared. i really never even thought of Boston as a rival until the Lucic run on Miller. Not even a little bit. Now i ****ing hate Boston. I hate the players on the team, hate you Bruins fans, and can't wait till this season starts, basically just to get to the Bruins games. It's a great thing. In some weird way Sabres fans really owe Milan Lucic a debt of gratitude.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:34 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Oh, Lucic won't fight Scott? Okay. Then Foligno won't fight Lucic. Foligno vs Sequin = win Foligno. Buffalo could make it a blood bath.
Sequin? Still wondering how anyone thinks he has a Q in his name. Anyways he has 0 NHL fights. If Foligno won't fight Lucic, who will. Lucic will take any Sabre outside of Scott and win pretty easily. Only other guy I see fighting him is McCormick and he at best could draw. Sabres don't have the physical toughness of mentallity to match the Bruins. They are an agitating team, not a tough team. Not by a long shot. Ruff would rather you run from a fight than back up your talk and that is why Buffalo has been perenial soft team.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:54 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
Sequin? Still wondering how anyone thinks he has a Q in his name. Anyways he has 0 NHL fights. If Foligno won't fight Lucic, who will. Lucic will take any Sabre outside of Scott and win pretty easily. Only other guy I see fighting him is McCormick and he at best could draw. Sabres don't have the physical toughness of mentallity to match the Bruins. They are an agitating team, not a tough team. Not by a long shot. Ruff would rather you run from a fight than back up your talk and that is why Buffalo has been perenial soft team.
Foligno has 1 NHL fight, but that's okay to match up vs Lucic? Lucic, by the way, has 42 career fights in the NHL vs Scott's 26. So if you want to make the case that Lucic can't be expected to step up to Scott because he's too important to leave the ice for 5 minutes, it's not reflected in the 42 times he's left the ice for 5 minutes. Maybe it just applies to guys that are bigger than him?

And while you are 100% correct about Ruff being a soft coach, and the Sabres being one of the softest teams in the league in recent history, it's ridiculous to say they are the softest team in the league currently. Between the guys they brought in this offseason and the kids they have coming up, they aren't even close to the bottom. You said either Buffalo or Carolina are the softest team in the league. Buffalo had 40 FM's last year compared to Carolina's 19. Buffalo brought in Scott and Ott to add to McCormick and Kaleta and Foligno and Regehr and Tropp and McNabb. Carolina has Tim Gleason and Bryan Allen. If you honestly think those two lineups are comparable, you're pretty misinformed. If you were just trolling, job well done because you suckered me in.

Old
09-07-2012, 03:03 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Foligno has 1 NHL fight, but that's okay to match up vs Lucic? Lucic, by the way, has 42 career fights in the NHL vs Scott's 26. So if you want to make the case that Lucic can't be expected to step up to Scott because he's too important to leave the ice for 5 minutes, it's not reflected in the 42 times he's left the ice for 5 minutes. Maybe it just applies to guys that are bigger than him?
Scott's only job is to fight. His only job. He is clearly a superior fighter to Lucic and one of the more feared heavyweights. Lucic has no reason to risk injury or lose 5 mins to a guy who doesn't play enough to reach a first liners fight total. Only possible fights are Chara, who takes no risks fighting heavyweights and while he could win would likely draw and Thornton who is almost a guaranteed draw. Foligno probably won't fight Lucic either, but its more likely as he isn't an important playerb, but who knows. He fought before in juniors/AHL. But he doesn't really do much to boost the Sabres toughness as young guy without much impressive fighting experience.

Quote:
And while you are 100% correct about Ruff being a soft coach, and the Sabres being one of the softest teams in the league in recent history, it's ridiculous to say they are the softest team in the league currently. Between the guys they brought in this offseason and the kids they have coming up, they aren't even close to the bottom. You said either Buffalo or Carolina are the softest team in the league. Buffalo had 40 FM's last year compared to Carolina's 19. Buffalo brought in Scott and Ott to add to McCormick and Kaleta and Foligno and Regehr and Tropp and McNabb. Carolina has Tim Gleason and Bryan Allen. If you honestly think those two lineups are comparable, you're pretty misinformed. If you were just trolling, job well done because you suckered me in.
Didn't say Buffalo was the softest, Carolina probably is #1 in that regard. Although they may have average physical toughness now, they have the soft team mentallity. Scott could end up playing less than 10 games if the Sabres are competitive this year. Then they have one true solid fighter in McCormick. A couple decent guys, but they lost Gaustad and didn't find a tough replacement that will play. Ott is an agitator and tries to duck fights and with Gerbe and Kaleta also in those roles the team will feed off that energy as they always have. Even if they have one goon on occassion.

Would even go as far as saying they are almost as tough as Philly, but Philly has the Broadstreet Bullies mentallity engrained in their minds and they will play substantially tougher than Buffalo who play softed than 90% of the NHL.

Old
09-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Maybe Scott should fight Thornton

oh yeah he skated away last time Thornton asked him

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:21 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1430
Quote:
Shouldn't surprise anyone. One of the fakest tough guys. Him with Ott and Gerbe will be the embarrassing as ****.
Ugh, I like Buffalo. Such a shame they added Ott to go with Kaleta. Watching Ott makes me want to puke.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:34 AM
hlaverty06

Why would Ott ever fight Chara

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:17 AM
duul

vCash: 169
From what I've seen as an Oilers fan from last year, Dallas was the toughest team we played. They're all huge and all hit compared to us. We only have Peckham/Eager/Hordichuk/Sutton and they barely play or fight anyway.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 07:53 AM
hlaverty06

Quote:

Then

Regehr vs Horton. Draw.
Boychuk vs Kaleta- Draw.
Ference vs Tropp- Draw.
Weber vs Campbell- Draw

So if John Scott wants to fight either Mac and Seids win??

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:04 AM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
So if John Scott wants to fight either Mac and Seids win??
Just going if everyone fought who might. Scott fought Thornton, but yes Scott would destroy them, is that even a question?...Doesn't make the Sabres tough though. Not by a long shot.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:30 AM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:

Then

Regehr vs Horton. Draw.
Boychuk vs Kaleta- Draw.
Ference vs Tropp- Draw.
Weber vs Campbell- Draw

I'm pretty sure Corey Tropp would beat Andrew Ference in a fight.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:41 AM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
I'm pretty sure Corey Tropp would beat Andrew Ference in a fight.
Wouldn't say that is a given. Tropp isn't the fighter Sabres fans make him out to be. Ference has taken on some pretty good fighters like Moen, Backes, hell even Avery who is a better fighter than Tropp.