HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

50 Bucks a seat to get on the waiting list??

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2012, 10:56 AM
  #26
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 8,408
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
I don't.
But it's not only that. As a native Manitoban, and hockey nut, I have a vested interest in seeing the team succeed. I don't like this move, and if others feel the same way, as I said, the team runs the risk of alienating customers.

Long term, they cannot afford to do that, so I believe that this is a bad move.

Not complaining per se, as this doesn't affect me at all. It just concerns me.
They aren't alienating their customers; the building is sold out and those are the customers. The prospective customers are those willing to pay to be on the list for an opportunity should seats come open. They don't seem to be alienated either, at all in fact, since they are voluntarily handing money to others (TNSE) in exchange for that opportunity.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:01 AM
  #27
KingSalamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
You could even take to the level of one of those Entertainment books that are sold... in this case, TNSE gives you unlimited 15% off coupons for the store and other perks in addition to having you on the waiting list.

When you renew you Entertainment book next year, you get all the perks PLUS the additional money you give them is now used as season ticket deposit money!

So in the end, this is a good deal... unless you turn your nose up to those Entertainment books as well.

KingSalamon is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
  #28
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Now I get it.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

cneely is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
  #29
Hank Chinaski
Moderator
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Granola Belt
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
I don't.
But it's not only that. As a native Manitoban, and hockey nut, I have a vested interest in seeing the team succeed. I don't like this move, and if others feel the same way, as I said, the team runs the risk of alienating customers.

Long term, they cannot afford to do that, so I believe that this is a bad move.

Not complaining per se, as this doesn't affect me at all. It just concerns me.
It would be more concerning if this was some tactic that True North had concocted out of the blue. It's not. Waiting list fees are a common practice amongst several pro sports teams with very limited ST inventory from year-to-year.

Any concerns about the practice "alienating customers" should be assuaged by people filling up the 8K worth of waiting list spots. If there ever comes a point where ST demand no longer warrants paying $50 for a spot on the waiting list, True North will surely recognize this, and adjust their fees accordingly.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:06 AM
  #30
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
They aren't alienating their customers; the building is sold out and those are the customers. The prospective customers are those willing to pay to be on the list for an opportunity should seats come open. They don't seem to be alienated either, at all in fact, since they are voluntarily handing money to others (TNSE) in exchange for that opportunity.
They need to make sure that they still have a market willing to pony up when the shine comes off the new toy in a couple of years.

If they alienate one customer its too many.

cneely is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:06 AM
  #31
shaunhil
Registered User
 
shaunhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Morden
Country: Canada
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
i got on the waiting list and i only remembered at 10:05am. busy day at work haha. so stoked i still made it on. i can easy justify the $100 a year on the presale tickets and 15% off at the jets store.

shaunhil is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:08 AM
  #32
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
It would be more concerning if this was some tactic that True North had concocted out of the blue. It's not. Waiting list fees are a common practice amongst several pro sports teams with very limited ST inventory from year-to-year.

Any concerns about the practice "alienating customers" should be assuaged by people filling up the 8K worth of waiting list spots. If there ever comes a point where ST demand no longer warrants paying $50 for a spot on the waiting list, True North will surely recognize this, and adjust their fees accordingly.
Maybe you're right.

I hope so.

cneely is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
  #33
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
I don't.
But it's not only that. As a native Manitoban, and hockey nut, I have a vested interest in seeing the team succeed. I don't like this move, and if others feel the same way, as I said, the team runs the risk of alienating customers.

Long term, they cannot afford to do that, so I believe that this is a bad move.

Not complaining per se, as this doesn't affect me at all. It just concerns me.
I'm sorry but i just feel that concern is completely unfounded. You are concerned that the standard business model of pro sports teams season ticket holder membership will offend Manitobans and alienate the fans?

I'm not going to say what your allowed to be concerned about, but that's the same as saying the price of tickets will alienate fans.

Yes, it will, but that's what this entity is, and those who thought it would operate otherwise should look elsewhere as this is clearly not an endeavor targeting them.

Simply put the NHL is no longer a "family-mans" entertainment outlet. Costs such as these should be expected. Simply put, those who are being alienated by it, are not the target audience for season ticket membership.

side note:
there's a blatant argument contrasting the level of value of getting barbeque compared to season tickets to a jets game that makes your comparison off base. At the most basic level, YES you have a point but lets look at it percentage wise.

A pair of season tickets is 9grand on the lowest end. 50 dollars is 180th of your season ticket payment. Your telling me if not for the inconvenience of having to carry a dime and a penny in your pocket, those at famous daves would be opposed to an additional 11 cent charge on their 20 dollar plate of barbeque?

I don't think so.

but thats neither here nor their

Grind is online now  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:11 AM
  #34
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
.
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,862
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunhil View Post
i got on the waiting list and i only remembered at 10:05am. busy day at work haha. so stoked i still made it on. i can easy justify the $100 a year on the presale tickets and 15% off at the jets store.
Good for you!

If I still lived in the 'Peg and wasn't a ST holder, I'd be on the waiting list simply for these perks. It's not as if you hand over your moolah, and don't get anything in return for it. Also: a portion is applied to the eventual price of the ST's, if I'm not mistaken.

Common practice in many markets, as others have mentioned. I would suggest that if this alienates someone, then they probably would not make a great customer anyway.

Just MO, of course.

YWGinYYZ is online now  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
  #35
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 8,408
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
They need to make sure that they still have a market willing to pony up when the shine comes off the new toy in a couple of years.
Why do you think they are charging for a spot on the list?

They are gauging the approximate numbers of people seriously willing to commit in the future.


Quote:
If they alienate one customer its too many.
They've alienated no customers. Their customers are already at the games. Their prospective customers are as of now required to pay a nominal fee for an opportunity should seats come open. To summarize, people have a choice as to whether or not to pay the fee. No alienation since everything is done via free will.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
  #36
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I'm sorry but i just feel that concern is completely unfounded. You are concerned that the standard business model of pro sports teams season ticket holder membership will offend Manitobans and alienate the fans?

I'm not going to say what your allowed to be concerned about, but that's the same as saying the price of tickets will alienate fans.

Yes, it will, but that's what this entity is, and those who thought it would operate otherwise should look elsewhere as this is clearly not an endeavor targeting them.

Simply put the NHL is no longer a "family-mans" entertainment outlet. Costs such as these should be expected. Simply put, those who are being alienated by it, are not the target audience for season ticket membership.

side note:
there's a blatant argument contrasting the level of value of getting barbeque compared to season tickets to a jets game that makes your comparison off base. At the most basic level, YES you have a point but lets look at it percentage wise.

A pair of season tickets is 9grand on the lowest end. 50 dollars is 180th of your season ticket payment. Your telling me if not for the inconvenience of having to carry a dime and a penny in your pocket, those at famous daves would be opposed to an additional 11 cent charge on their 20 dollar plate of barbeque?

I don't think so.

but thats neither here nor their
Yes, the model has changed greatly, and long gone are the days of $7 tickets at Safeway.

I still think that it's in TNSE's best interest to make the game accessible to as many people as possible though. Winnipeg is not Toronto in terms of population or affluence.

Your point about BBQ is valid, and the comparison has flaws, no doubt.

cneely is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:15 AM
  #37
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Why do you think they are charging for a spot on the list?

They are gauging the approximate numbers of people seriously willing to commit in the future.


They've alienated no customers. Their customers are already at the games. Their prospective customers are as of now required to pay a nominal fee for an opportunity should seats come open. To summarize, people have a choice as to whether or not to pay the fee. No alienation since everything is done via free will.
The people attending the games now aren't the only customers. Presumably they won't be buying season tickets forever, so those who may eventually buy tickets are also customers.

If you want the opportunity, you pay the money. I understand that, but I'm sure not everyone will be happy about that. That's my point.

cneely is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:16 AM
  #38
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/
 
Jet Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
A pair of season tickets is 9grand on the lowest end.
No it's not ...

Jet Bomber is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:20 AM
  #39
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 8,408
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
The people attending the games now aren't the only customers. Presumably they won't be buying season tickets forever, so those who may eventually buy tickets are also customers.

If you want the opportunity, you pay the money. I understand that, but I'm sure not everyone will be happy about that. That's my point.
You are confusing the difference between "paying customers" and "prospective customers". Their customers are at the games. Their prospective customers must pay a fee for the chance to qualify as a seat holder one day in the future.

If they aren't happy then they shouldn't pay, period. It isn't that difficult a concept to grasp, really.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:22 AM
  #40
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
You are confusing the difference between "paying customer" and "prospective customers". Their customers are at the games. Their prospective customers must pay a fee for the chance to qualify as a seat holder one day in the future.

If they aren't happy then they shouldn't pay, period. It isn't that difficult a concept to grasp, really.
If they aren't happy, and don't pay, they aren't really prospective customers any more, and you've decreased your market base.

That's my point.

cneely is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:26 AM
  #41
KingSalamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
If they aren't happy, and don't pay, they aren't really prospective customers any more, and you've decreased your market base.

That's my point.
They were likely prospective customers who grew impatient after 1 season.. the amount of turnover in tickets will not be that large until seasons 3, 4 and 5 are complete and even then the numbers won't be terribly large.

If someone opts off the list, there may be other factors involved... and doesn't mean that your market base has decreased. People may get into groups with current STH's etc.

KingSalamon is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
  #42
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 8,408
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
If they aren't happy, and don't pay, they aren't really prospective customers any more, and you've decreased your market base.

That's my point.
The fee is being charged to separate those most seriously willing to pay in the future from those who are not. You seem to be confused by that. The fee is charged to gauge future demand. If the demand falls, the price to be on the list will either fall or be eliminated.

Those currently on the list are demonstrating they are willing potential future customers if called upon.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
  #43
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
No it's not ...
your right my bad. Couldn't find actual season ticket prices and was operating offf memeory. looks like the cheapest "pair" of tickets would be about 4 grand a year.


so it would be a 25 cent addition to their plate of barbeque

Grind is online now  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:30 AM
  #44
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
The fee is being charged to separate those most seriously willing to pay in the future from those who are not. You seem to be confused by that. The fee is charged to gauge future demand. If the demand falls, the price to be on the list will either fall or be eliminated.

Those currently on the list are demonstrating they are serious potential future customers if called upon.
We're going around and around on this.

Again, my point is that if you have one person - ONE - who has the means and the interest to buy season tickets, but says "screw that, I'm not paying $50 for the privilege of being on a waiting list", then that's one customer you've lost.

In a small market like Winnipeg, you can't afford to do that.

cneely is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:33 AM
  #45
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 8,408
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
We're going around and around on this.

Again, my point is that if you have one person - ONE - who has the means and the interest to buy season tickets, but says "screw that, I'm not paying $50 for the privilege of being on a waiting list", then that's one customer you've lost.

In a small market like Winnipeg, you can't afford to do that.
You seem to be overestimating the future supply of available seats. I'm guessing these sort of complaints will still be aired ten years from now as I personally know of exactly zero season ticket holders that aren't willing to re-up, myself included, and I know A LOT of seat holders.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
  #46
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
We're going around and around on this.

Again, my point is that if you have one person - ONE - who has the means and the interest to buy season tickets, but says "screw that, I'm not paying $50 for the privilege of being on a waiting list", then that's one customer you've lost.

In a small market like Winnipeg, you can't afford to do that.
You said you're a business man who understands economics...
So then you understand the concept that there is a sweet point. A price point where costs is minimized and demand is maximized for a particular suply.
Making it cheaper can increase the amount of customer base but it isn't always beneficial to increase that.

garret9 is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:36 AM
  #47
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
You seem to be overestimating the future supply of available seats. I'm guessing these sort of complaints will still be aired ten years from now as I personally know of exactly zero season ticket holders that aren't willing to re-up, myself included, and I know A LOT of seat holders.
Maybe I am, I hope you're right.

Remember though, tickets aren't the only way they generate revenue, and alienating a fan certainly has an impact on income outside of ticket sales.

cneely is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
  #48
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 8,408
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Maybe I am, I hope you're right.

Remember though, tickets aren't the only way they generate revenue, and alienating a fan certainly has an impact on income outside of ticket sales.

You also seem to be engaging in excessive use of hyperbole. People have a choice as to whether or not to be on the list. No alienation involved, whatsoever. Participation is voluntary.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:39 AM
  #49
Hank Chinaski
Moderator
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Granola Belt
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,219
vCash: 50
I'm not sure I really understand your concern, cneely. I could probably list off hundreds of things that would be more likely to alienate customers than a nominal $50 fee for a spot on the waiting list.

I'm not sure if you're just trying to stimulate debate and play devil's advocate with this stance, but I think there have been several excellent explanations on why this concern is unfounded. Have a nice weekend!

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 11:41 AM
  #50
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13,594
vCash: 500

garret9 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.