HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

50 Bucks a seat to get on the waiting list??

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Sorry but I don't get people who whine about stuff like this.

This is not a government service.

Watching hockey is not some inherent right.

If you want to go, you have to pay.

If the demand is there why the hell wouldn't smart businessmen take advantage of it?

For the record, I am on the waiting list and attended a game on my birthday thanks to it. $50 well spent.

No one is holding a gun to your head. Buy TSN Jets, or better yet, listen on the radio if you don't want to support the team financially.

Pretty simple afaic

08-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
My understanding is that all of the spots on the wait list have already been sold this morning, if my admittedly second-hand info is indeed correct. If so, it seems the numbers of potential future customers far outweighs any concerns of alienation. People are yet again demonstrating a willingness to pay for the opportunity to be a future customer.

Demand continues to far outstrip supply.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
My understanding is that all of the spots on the wait list have already been sold this morning, if my second hand info is indeed correct. If so, it seems the numbers of potential future customers far outweighs any concerns of alienation. People are yet again demonstrating a willingness to pay for the opportunity to be a future customer.

Demand continues to far outstrip supply.

So TNSE just made $125,000. I think that is a good thing, no?

If we want this team to be healthy long term we better hope they are looking to do more of this kind of thing.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
So TNSE just made $125,000. I think that is a good thing, no?

If we want this team to be healthy long term we better hope they are looking to do more of this kind of thing.
Agreed. They should increase the list size to 10,000, IMO.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
All I know is I'm trying to get on the wait list (stupid court, I know I'm late) and it looks like it keeps timing out on me.

And I don't even live in Winnipeg any longer!

Old
08-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
visual representation never hurts.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
KingSalamon

vCash: 500
I just checked and it looks like it's still open... as of 1 minute ago. Good luck!

Old
08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
KingSalamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
visual representation never hurts.
All I saw was pizza.... drool. lol

Old
08-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
I just checked and it looks like it's still open... as of 1 minute ago. Good luck!
Well it says its open, but I'm unable to conclude the transaction. It could be my crappy IE6 browser (it's a work computer), or it could be full.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Well it says its open, but I'm unable to conclude the transaction. It could be my crappy IE6 browser (it's a work computer), or it could be full.
Keep trying!

Old
08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
I would lean towards IE6 as the culprit. Do you have a smartphone? There's usually a mobile version of the site to use.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

no doubt there are tons of Jets fans in Winnipeg and outlying areas that aren't willing to pay the fee to be on the waiting list, probably because they don't see the value in it....but I'd be surprised if many of them would feel 'alienated'.... or that they would simply stop being a fan of the team....
...worst case scenario, if the Jets failed to make the playoffs for the next 5 years and 25% of the existing ticket holders got frustrated and gave up their tickets, if the existing wait list didn't snap them up, and they opened it up to the general public, they'd be gone in 5 minutes again....
...yeah, the new toy wouldn't be shining quite as bright, but after doing without for 15 years, I just can't envision a scenario where Winnipeggers would let history repeat itself...

Old
08-10-2012, 01:24 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
A fair price to me would be zero.

I'm well aware that they're a private enterprise, and are in it to make a profit. The problem is they run the risk of alienating customers.

I'm a capitalist, and a business man. I understand the concept of supply and demand. The problem is that given the history of the Jets in Winnipeg, True North shouldn't take their customers for granted. The team is new and shiny right now, but they can't afford to alienate any of their potential paying customers.
Hey C, I know that people are piling on but...

I picked this point out of your comments on the thread. You make the point that you are a business man, a capitalist, understand supply and demand, etc. But in a previous post, you seemed to boast that you "went to many games for free", and that you are only "worried about TNSE alienating fans"...

As a guy that pays way more than free for his tickets, they haven't done anything to alienate me (yet )

With all due respect - and I mean this with respect because you brought up an interesting topic - but, I don't think you need to be worrying about their business practices on this one

Last edited by Jet: 08-10-2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old
08-10-2012, 01:26 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
Not seeing the issue either. You're paying $50 per seat for being on the waiting list. Any subsequent fees are paid on an annual basis and accrue towards your eventual first season of tickets. So you're out $100 on a pair of tickets as pure profit to TNSE. That's pretty cheap really and goes toward helping the team stay profitable. There are benefits with that fee as well, as others have mentioned. How much does the average person drop at Timmy's in a month?

The Famous Dave's analogy sucks as well (respectfully speaking). You fail to mention that while Famous Dave's is indeed incredibly popular right now, they also have oodles of competition in the restaurant industry right now (and going forward into the future). How many restaurants fall within a five mile radius of Famous Dave's? A couple of hundred including the fast food places? BBQ? Not so much but there's a good one over on Marion.

Now tell me how many other NHL caliber hockey teams are competing for the Jets dollars in Winnipeg?

If you had the competition then yeah, it's not a workable solution for you or other fans. But it is the only game in town so really your choices are give up Timmy's for a month for each seat and then settle in for the wait.

You could make up most of that $50 by simply buying a Jets jersey at the Jets Store with your discount. By a hat and a t-shirt and you're golden.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Tarks
True North

vCash: 60
So, a guy who was at 15 Jets games last season for FREE is complaining about a $50 waiting list fee? If you are really that concerned about the success of the franchise why don't you go out a buy some tickets. That would be a good start. Cheers.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarks View Post
So, a guy who was at 15 Jets games last season for FREE is complaining about a $50 waiting list fee? If you are really that concerned about the success of the franchise why don't you go out a buy some tickets. That would be a good start. Cheers.
Those tickets would be paid for, I assume, just not by him, but why stop at 15?

Old
08-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Tarks
True North

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Those tickets would be paid for, I assume, just not by him, but why stop at 15?
I understand that the tickets were paid for, but not by him. Is it just me or does anyone else see the irony here.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

to be fair, you gotta assume that when his friends and associates take him to games for free, that he is indirectly supporting the team by buying those good folks several beers, food, etc while enjoying the game... at least that's what my friends do when I take them for free

re Famous Dave's - I'm sure they're tasty, but standing in line for the privilege of having one is something I'll never understand... (well, that and people who refuse to pay for Jets TV ) ...

Old
08-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Beller79

correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the $50.00 fee eventually go towards your ticket / seat deposit once you finally make it in?

$50.00 to get you name on their list= %15 discount at the Jets store, access to free tickets to the Jets practice and access to last minute seats / ticket sales is a great value.

you've been to 15 games and didnt pay a thing ?

You cant pay $50 for a wait list? if so.. whats going to happen when you get called for tickets? and a bill of $5000 +

You think this shiny new toy is gonna lose its shine in time? ... I bet the wait list remains for 10+ years
Go Jets Go!

Old
08-10-2012, 02:08 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beller79 View Post
correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the $50.00 fee eventually go towards your ticket / seat deposit once you finally make it in?

$50.00 to get you name on their list= %15 discount at the Jets store, access to free tickets to the Jets practice and access to last minute seats / ticket sales is a great value.

you've been to 15 games and didnt pay a thing ?

You cant pay $50 for a wait list? if so.. whats going to happen when you get called for tickets? and a bill of $5000 +

You think this shiny new toy is gonna lose its shine in time? ... I bet the wait list remains for 10+ years
Go Jets Go!
Very good points........

NHL prices are just not for some people IMHO.....as long as 15,000 are willing to pay we will get to keep our JETS

If you complain about $50 with the pearks they include....then at this current financial point in your life you are not TNSE target customer....Either your finances must rise up or TNSE target customer price must drop down.....until that happens enjoy your free tickets when you can get them and Jets TV (nothing wrong with that by the way 10 years ago I would not have been able to afford ST so Im not making fun as spending $200 a night for a pair of tickets multiple times a year is not for everyone)

Last edited by SCP Guy: 08-10-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old
08-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beller79 View Post

Initial fee of $50 per seat is not refunded.

There's a $100 fee per name on the list per year. That amount does go towards your tickets.

Still can't get in. I very much doubt I'll be able to once I get on a better computer at home.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Beller79

A full list of details about the Winnipeg Jets Wait List can be found at www.winnipegjets.com/waitlist.

2012–13 Winnipeg Jets Wait List Benefits
• Exclusive access to tickets that become available on the day of the game.

$50....

• Access to Individual game tickets after the Random Draw is completed and prior to going on-sale to the general public.
• 15% discount at "Jets Gear: Powered by Reebok" Team Store (located at MTS Centre, MTS Iceplex and St. Vital Mall).
• Invitation to an Exclusive Wait List Open Practice (date and time TBD).
• Access to tickets posted for sale on the Winnipeg Jets SeatExchange.
• Presale access to Winnipeg Jets Skills Competition and select Winnipeg Jets community events.
• Email notification for select MTS Centre ticket offers.
• Presale opportunity for the launch of the Limited Edition Winnipeg Jets "First Season Book".

Last edited by TMI: 08-10-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: no linking to other forums
Old
08-10-2012, 02:29 PM
KingSalamon

Looks like the waiting list has filled... almost anyway. I tried to get 2 spots and nothing was available.. I then tried for 1 and had success. So looks like the well is drying up!

Way to go Jets fans! There is plenty of interest for the team! I honestly wasn't sure if they would sell out again over the weekend, nevermind less than 5 hours! wow

Old
08-10-2012, 02:32 PM
s1g

I love, love, LOVE the waiting list. I get discounts at the Jets store. I got to attend an open practice with my daughter and gf, and managed to snag a puck. That open practice also had a 25% off sale at the store, so I took advantage of that. I also got to attend 6 games, including the Teemu game, as well as the last game of the season. Last but not least, I was able to snag tickets so that my parents could attend a game, as well tickets for my sister and her bf. That was the best $100 I spent last year. When you factor in the discounts I got from the Jets store, it brings the price down to about $50.

Now, the renewal fee for this year was $100. I'm actually hoping that I don't get called for season tickets until I at least get 1 of my 2 seats completely free for that first year. It would be hard for me to afford paying for 2 season tickets this year since my gf and I just bought a house. However, in about 7-8 years after our furniture is paid for, along with the $700-800 I've put down in renewal fees, I'm hoping that I can afford the season tickets on my own for that first year, instead of starting up a group to split the tickets amongst.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:52 PM
WinnipegWinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Anyone else not lucky enough to get season tickets get the e-mail from True North yesterday?

The gist is that they moved 2500 people off the season ticket waiting list - presumably they got season tickets I guess. You can now buy your spot on a waiting list for $50. Not get tickets, not really any tangible benefit (aside from a few perks like 15% off in the proshop) but simply get on the waiting list.

IMO, it's great the team is doing well, and the demand is there for tickets, but doesn't this rub anyone else the wrong way? You have fans lining up to get their hands on tickets, and you want to charge them $50 for the privilege of maybe one day being able to buy?

To me, this is akin to charging someone to wait in line at a really popular restaurant.
Aw Poo

Closed Thread