HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers 'step up' offer for Bouwmeester

Old
08-11-2012, 10:34 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Most likely it is Schenn for Jbo + Backlund
I really, really doubt that either Schenn will be traded. You just cant acquire one brother, then trade the other a month later before they even step on the ice.

If anything, it would be Couturier for Backlund+JBo.

But that's not a trade that Holmgren would have anything to do with. Might not be bad value, but if Holmgren is even willing to entertain Couturier's name in a trade, there would likely be more enticing defenders he would pursue first (Yandle, Subban, etc.).

If the Flyers dont get JBo for a 1st+Gustafsson (or something very similar), then they wont get JBo at all. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that for the Flames. That's not a very attractive package for a top pairing defender-- it's just all the Flyers can afford to give up.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:38 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I really, really doubt that either Schenn will be traded. You just cant acquire one brother, then trade the other a month later before they even step on the ice.

If anything, it would be Couturier for Backlund+JBo.

But that's not a trade that Holmgren would have anything to do with. Might not be bad value, but if Holmgren is even willing to entertain Couturier's name in a trade, there would likely be more enticing defenders he would pursue first (Yandle, Subban, etc.).

If the Flyers dont get JBo for a 1st+Gustafsson (or something very similar), then they wont get JBo at all. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that for the Flames. That's not a very attractive package for a top pairing defender-- it's just all the Flyers can afford to give up.
I agree that the Flames wouldn't get Schenn or Couts but I was saying if we are aquiring a young center Backund is most likely in the deal going the either way as he had a rough year last year (due to injuries) and with Cammy and Cervenka above him on the depth chart he could be moved.

This team can't afford to deal Jbo for just prospects + futures as they want to compete now if Briere didn't have his family in Philly and a NTC than I think it would make since to do a deal around both but that also isn't possible I just don't see a fit unless it is Jbo + Backlund + 2013 1st for Couts kind of deal and that is a lot of risk for both teams.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:40 PM
truefan8993

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Suter is not from Minnesota.

truefan8993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:12 PM
JackJ

Does his NTC mean anything or are reporters ignoring that fact?

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:21 PM
BrindamoursNose

The season is going to be locked out until X-Mas anyway. Might as well get a Roszival as a stop gap instead of overpaying for J-Bo. What a joke.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Holmgren needs to overpay simply based on the fact that Bouwmeester is garnering interest league wide and because the Flyers need a top 4 defenseman since Schenn and Grossman over their careers have proven that they can't consistently play top 4 minutes without struggling for long stretches.

He'll have to cave in to giving a roster centerman (Schenn, Couturier, Briere) if he wants Bouwmeester IMO.
HA! That's a joke, right?

Homer will not cave in. He's built a team that is expected to make the playoffs each year.
He knows better than to trade any of those players with great potential, minus briere who is a phenomenal playoff performer.

Not understanding the logic behind a top ranked GM caving in for a player like that.
I'm sure theres a bunch of other and possibly better defensemen on the market right now that just aren't circulating the media.

There's a lot of other teams that have top 4 defenders and other needs. Homer is way too smart and experienced to just give in after holding back from trading Schenn or Couturier. Why on earth would Briere waive his NTC to Calgary. A team that is far from the playoffs. Makes no sense.

Frodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Flair Hay

Someone may cave and pay a steep price for JBow, but it wouldn't be Holmgren I don't think. He didn't go balls out trading Richards/Carter for awesome youth to trade them away for a solid but underwhelming player.

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Someone may cave and pay a steep price for JBow, but it wouldn't be Holmgren I don't think. He didn't go balls out trading Richards/Carter for awesome youth to trade them away for a solid but underwhelming player.
yeah, i guess this pretty much sums up my post in a much shorter way haha.

I was just saying Holmgren specifically will not do that. I dont know about other GMs.

Frodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Then why haven't the Flyers signed Colaiacovo then if he's so much better than Bouw?
Whos to say they havent talked. Carlaiacovo knows he would be a 5/6 in Philly. he probably thinks he can get top 4 money elsewhere. I hope they stay far, far away. hes made of glass. in a division that plays some pretty physical hockey he would get chewed up in no time.

Quote:
Philly.

Holmer knows that he needs defense.

He'll end up overpaying for Bouwmeester big time after missing out on Weber and Meszaros being out long term.
Quote:
Holmgren needs to overpay simply based on the fact that Bouwmeester is garnering interest league wide and because the Flyers need a top 4 defenseman since Schenn and Grossman over their careers have proven that they can't consistently play top 4 minutes without struggling for long stretches.

He'll have to cave in to giving a roster centerman (Schenn, Couturier, Briere) if he wants Bouwmeester IMO.

Prepare to be shocked if Bouwmeester goes to Philly. Calgary has no incentive it seems to give him away for futures since they're trying to make the playoffs themselves.
If Holmgren wasnt going to give up Schenn and/or Couturier for Weber they sure as hell arent going to give them up for Jay ****ing Bouwmeester. Who I think would be a terrible fit in Philly. He is vastly overrated.
Nevermind the fact that the Flyers cannot trade any more top 9 forwards for another defenseman. People just love to assume that the Flyers will overpay for some of these defenseman like Bouwmeester. its not going to happen. you seem to have the Flyers pretty much figured out. Whos going to replace Couts or Schenn? Backlund? please.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:28 AM
flameaholic
#neverquit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
The season is going to be locked out until X-Mas anyway. Might as well get a Roszival as a stop gap instead of overpaying for J-Bo. What a joke.
If the Flyers are prepared to go into next season with that sieve of a (goaltender and) defence, they damn well better hope the entire season is wiped out. What a joke.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:30 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
If the Flyers are prepared to go into next season with that sieve of a (goaltender and) defence, they damn well better hope the entire season is wiped out. What a joke.
Defense is fine and the goaltender is better than he gets credit for.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:41 AM
flameaholic
#neverquit

Quote:
Defense is fine
Defense is not fine. If the defense was fine they would not have thrown $110 million at Shea Weber. That defence without Pronger, without Carle, and now without Meszaros is putrid. Paul Holmgren knows this.

The Rangers, Penguins, Bruins, et al. are going to have a playing the Flyers next season.

Last edited by flameaholic: 08-12-2012 at 02:11 AM.
flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:55 AM
RA9

Quote:
Defense is fine and the goaltender is better than he gets credit for.
Yeah no defense is "fine" letting in 10 goals, in a playoff game.

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild

Man, if Timonen falls within the first 3-6 weeks of the season, say goodbye to the Flyers and Holmgren, too... part of me feels like he's on a little thin ice with the playoff under-performance, trading away Stanley Cup winning centres, and not acquiring better defencive depth since Pronger was out. Losing Carle probably hurt, too.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:20 AM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxFlamesFan View Post
Yeah no defense is "fine" letting in 10 goals, in a playoff game.
Actually, that same defense only let in 1 goal in a playoff game.

See how the works both ways?

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:21 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Schenn for Bouwmeester? Lol. Flames fans are dreaming.

Think more along the lines of Matt Read and a pick.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:31 AM
Novacain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post

... still doesn't change the 10 dude. If your defense allows 10 in one of the most important games of the year, yeah, it needs a major upgrade. And I'm a neutral here.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Defense is not fine. If the defense was fine they would not have thrown $110 million at Shea Weber. That defence without Pronger, without Carle, and now without Meszaros is putrid. Paul Holmgren knows this.

The Rangers, Penguins, Bruins, et al. are going to have a playing the Flyers next season.
Pens really had a party time playing the flyers, right?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:44 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Man, if Timonen falls within the first 3-6 weeks of the season, say goodbye to the Flyers and Holmgren, too... part of me feels like he's on a little thin ice with the playoff under-performance, trading away Stanley Cup winning centres, and not acquiring better defencive depth since Pronger was out. Losing Carle probably hurt, too.
Homer won't get fired. Snider loves him and basically gives him free reign over the team. He didn't trade away stanley cup winning centers either. When he traded them, they hadn't won anything. Just because they went and won something with another team doesn't instantly make them that much better. And not going out and getting defensive depth when pronger was out? What do you call Grossmann and Kubina? Meszaros was supposed to be healthy for this year making Kubina useless.

And losing Carle won't hurt us much if Gustaffson plays in the top 6. Stats showed that Carle made the team less effective when he was on the ice. How many offensive defensemen do that? His shot is worse than a kid in Bantam AAA hockey. Not to mention his skill at turning the puck over.

Old
08-12-2012, 03:05 AM
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Homer won't get fired. Snider loves him and basically gives him free reign over the team. He didn't trade away stanley cup winning centers either. When he traded them, they hadn't won anything. Just because they went and won something with another team doesn't instantly make them that much better. And not going out and getting defensive depth when pronger was out? What do you call Grossmann and Kubina? Meszaros was supposed to be healthy for this year making Kubina useless.

And losing Carle won't hurt us much if Gustaffson plays in the top 6. Stats showed that Carle made the team less effective when he was on the ice. How many offensive defensemen do that? His shot is worse than a kid in Bantam AAA hockey. Not to mention his skill at turning the puck over.
1. Sure, but they haven't been even remotely as close ever since trading them. I mean, sure, at that time Pronger was healthy for example. But you had Leighton in net, which wasn't a sigh of relief for anyone. Bryzgalov is a better goalie to replace Leighton, but he doesn't make up for Pronger's presence.

2. Stop gaps.
Although, I should actually rescind what I said earlier. It's not for lack of trying.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
1. Sure, but they haven't been even remotely as close ever since trading them. I mean, sure, at that time Pronger was healthy for example. But you had Leighton in net, which wasn't a sigh of relief for anyone. Bryzgalov is a better goalie to replace Leighton, but he doesn't make up for Pronger's presence.

2. Stop gaps.
Although, I should actually rescind what I said earlier. It's not for lack of trying.
It's been one season since the trades.

Grossmann is slotting in our top 2 pairings this year. Not exactly a depth defenseman. And Homer tried to trade for Weber. When that failed, he offer sheeted him. He is trying to get players to replace pronger. But it would be very hard to replace a first ballot hall of famer

Old
08-12-2012, 04:23 AM
RA9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post

Yeah it doesn't work like that, at all.

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Sigh, dumb people commenting on the flyers team.

We have been to the second round at a minimum in the last 5 years. Where have Calgary been again?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:15 AM
tony d
Ruffles in Space

Bouwmeester would be a decent pickup for Philly. I think they'd have to give up a 2013 1st, one of Couterier or Schenn and Coburn.

08-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Simmer down, champ. Your team didn't even make the playoffs last season.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote