HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Thread Part IV: Will there be NHL hockey this year?

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2012, 01:41 PM
HavlatMach9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
The fact that GMBM traded Rundblad away for Turris tells me he's still got some growing to do.
I didn't like the justification Murray gave when he did the trade. He said because Cowen was playing well (that time when he was on fire), it'd made it possible to trade Rundblad, it seemed too sudden based on a good week from Cowen.

Though he said Turris was a good player and both Murray/MacLean were very happy about getting him.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
I didn't like the justification Murray gave when he did the trade. He said because Cowen was playing well (that time when he was on fire), it'd made it possible to trade Rundblad, it seemed too sudden based on a good week from Cowen.

Though he said Turris was a good player and both Murray/MacLean were very happy about getting him.
Better than saying "Rundblad isn't good enough defensively and has said he might not go to the AHL if sent there, so we're getting rid of him and we're filling in a position we desperatly needed to fill"

Old
08-24-2012, 02:19 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngelinaJolie View Post
No way Turris gained 15lbs of "muscle" (keyword) in 3 months that's impossible naturally and anyone who says they've done it is talking out of their ass.
He has been training since the Sens were eliminated. So that's 4.5 months.

The guy has only not been in Ottawa for two weeks while he was on vacation. I would definetly say it is plausible.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:25 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Vote Alfie everybody

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1250951

Old
08-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Philadelphia Collins

Gonna suck that this lockout means we may never see Alfie on the ice again

Old
08-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
He has been training since the Sens were eliminated. So that's 4.5 months.

The guy has only not been in Ottawa for two weeks while he was on vacation. I would definetly say it is plausible.
You clearly don't work out regularly: it would be ridiculous.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:46 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I don't know about that. The guys aren't burning a zillion calories playing and practising everyday. I think it's pretty reasonable that they'll gain weight just on that fact alone.

Weight doesn't mean anything anyway. They train specifically for hockey.

The actual number doesn't really make a difference if Turris shows up stronger and ready.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:53 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Less than 4 pounds per month? An average person can pack on 2-3 pounds of muscle per month with the right program. Turris has access to unlimited resources, additionally, its much easier for someone with his frame to add mass. (Not to mention they would likely have developed a supplemental plan for him)

Also, everyone is different in terms of muscle growth and development, making it nearly impossible to gauge the maximum Turris could gain in a month.

Old
08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
balaclava brian

Quote:
Give a condescending answer and you're likely to receive one back...

You clearly don't know how to work out effectively.

Playoffs ended (for the Sens) the last week of April, Turris has said he took a few weeks off with his family and girlfriend and went back to training. Say he was off until the middle of May, which gives him the better part of three months to put on fifteen pounds.

Expert training+excellent nutrition+a non-muscular body to start with=the very real possibility to add 15lbs in that time frame.

Most guy's training schedule consists of:
Breakfast- 2 poptarts and a Redbull
Lunch - Big Mac meal
Dinner - Kraft Dinner and fish sticks
Crush a few beers several nights a week
Train 4 days a week doing bicep curls, chest flyes and leg extensions and then wonder why they don't make any progress and question those who do.

An expert strength and conditioning coach would have their trainees conducting squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead pressing, power cleans, etc. Combined with some GPP and strongman conditioning drills/exercises. Usually the stuff (besides bench) the regular gym dude has never attempted.

The fact is most people have no clue to what effective training and nutrition should look like.

To anyone who cares...
http://www.amazon.ca/Super-Squats-Po.../dp/0926888005
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=134&pid=2487
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...t.asp?pid=2976
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Prog...ref=pd_sim_b_2

Also of interest,
Bill Starr's 5X5
Madcow 3X5
Westside-Barbell Conjugate Method
Slomov

I am not advocating hockey athletes become powerlifters, bodybuilders, strongman athletes, etc. However, many of these training principles can be included into any sport specific training program. Heck, Olympic level sprinters are including Olympic style weightlifting exercises into their training routines - what does that tell you...

Peace.

Old
08-24-2012, 05:30 PM
ElRossoMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post
Gonna suck that this lockout means we may never see Alfie on the ice again
I noticed that a couple of you guys seem to be preety sure that it's this year and that's it for Alfie. I thought he left the door open for another year after this one. I didn't keep up with the team news this summer, was anything more been said after he announced his return?

Old
08-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaclava brian View Post
Give a condescending answer and you're likely to receive one back...

You clearly don't know how to work out effectively.

Playoffs ended (for the Sens) the last week of April, Turris has said he took a few weeks off with his family and girlfriend and went back to training. Say he was off until the middle of May, which gives him the better part of three months to put on fifteen pounds.

Expert training+excellent nutrition+a non-muscular body to start with=the very real possibility to add 15lbs in that time frame.

Lunch - Big Mac meal
Train 4 days a week doing bicep curls, chest flyes and leg extensions and then wonder why they don't make any progress and question those who do.

An expert strength and conditioning coach would have their trainees conducting squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead pressing, power cleans, etc. Combined with some GPP and strongman conditioning drills/exercises. Usually the stuff (besides bench) the regular gym dude has never attempted.

The fact is most people have no clue to what effective training and nutrition should look like.

To anyone who cares...
http://www.amazon.ca/Super-Squats-Po.../dp/0926888005
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=134&pid=2487
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...t.asp?pid=2976
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Prog...ref=pd_sim_b_2

Also of interest,
Bill Starr's 5X5
Madcow 3X5
Westside-Barbell Conjugate Method
Slomov

I am not advocating hockey athletes become powerlifters, bodybuilders, strongman athletes, etc. However, many of these training principles can be included into any sport specific training program. Heck, Olympic level sprinters are including Olympic style weightlifting exercises into their training routines - what does that tell you...

Peace.
So, just because a lot of people don't know how to work out I dont know what I'm talking about?
15 pounds of muscle in a single off season would be crazy. Possible? I don't know enough to make that assertion, but from what I gather 2 pounds a month is pretty much standard.

Old
08-24-2012, 05:56 PM
balaclava brian

Quote:
So, just because a lot of people don't know how to work out I dont know what I'm talking about?
15 pounds of muscle in a single off season would be crazy. Possible? I don't know enough to make that assertion, but from what I gather 2 pounds a month is pretty much standard.
I don't want to get into an argument with you. However, you did say that gaining 15lbs of muscle in three months "would be ridiculous." Then a couple of posts later you respond, "Possible? I don't know enough to make that assertion"

By saying it "would be ridiculous" tells me that you do not know what you are talking about. By saying, "Possible? I don't know enough to make that assertion" you have told me and everyone else that by your own admission that you do not know.

That is how I can respond by saying, "You clearly don't know how to work out effectively." That isn't to say that you have no training knowledge whatsoever, but just that you shouldn't be objecting to any claims you admit you do not know enough about.

15lbs in one off season would be pretty amazing, especially for a non-strength athlete (ie. powerlifter, etc). It is not out of the realm of possibility, though. It is certainly possible for a tall, lanky kid who didn't have much muscle mass to begin with.

Take my opinion for what it is worth - one dude's opinion. However, my opinion is based on over a decade's worth of strength training and training with three professional level strength athletes, and my own lifts which are approaching the national level.

Peace.

Btw, I would just like to add. Talking about Big Macs and Kraft Dinner made me really hungry, lol..

Last edited by balaclava brian: 08-24-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old
08-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngelinaJolie View Post
No way Turris gained 15lbs of "muscle" (keyword) in 3 months that's impossible naturally and anyone who says they've done it is talking out of their ass.
15 lbs of mass is nothing, particulary in 4 months. I think it's once again a battle of words... it might not be 100% muscle, of course. But people will "talk" like that, instead of scientifically explain what really happened

And by the way people who aren't particulary muscular to begin with can gain a lot of muscle really fast. I have seen it because 2 of my ex-gfs (lol from a long time ago) are now built like Schwartzie and do competitions or whatever it is (Not interested in that, I prefered them before lol). I was like wtf happened? And it happened very fast. There's so many products today on the market too (and not talking about steroids)

Quote:
There's nothing "standard" about today's NHL players though, they are paid to be "athlete machines". It's not Guy Lafleur's time anymore where you could smoke between 2 periods lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Don't put too much weight into what a GM says to the medias... It's to appease the mass (like the average fan who aren't hardcore fans like most of us here) and justify moves "the simple way" (the average fan doesn't "think hockey" the same way hardcore fans do). There's many things a GM can't say and wouldn't say publicly.

Reality is Rundblad was a valuable asset (we got him, built his value then used it) that he could part with because :

- Karlsson and Cowen are for real
- We have tons of defensive depht (Boro, Blood, Claesson, Wiercioch, Sdao, Gryba...)
- And the possibility to draft a high end D-man prospect in a draft stacked with D-men. Result : Cody Ceci

Looks like he knew what he was doing... If he didn't make that trade, 2nd line center would still be our biggest question mark, now instead it's one of our biggest hopes.

Old
08-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Huston

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaclava brian View Post
Lunch - Big Mac meal
Your joking right? Not only does this lack calories, it is also void of micro-nutrients, except for the fortification with folate. There is a also something to be said about a diet with 55-60% or more calories coming from carbohydrates. Nothing but carbs for breakfast, seriously? There is a reason it is called break-fast. During fast (like at night time) your body will cannibalize itself. It is ideal to consume fat and protein before you go to bed and after you you wake up. No whey protein or eggs (best sources of protein) when you are trying to gain muscle mass? No essential fatty acids. The fish stick may have some, but EFAs don't do well in heat.

Old
08-25-2012, 09:00 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston View Post
Your joking right? Not only does this lack calories, it is also void of micro-nutrients, except for the fortification with folate. There is a also something to be said about a diet with 55-60% or more calories coming from carbohydrates. Nothing but carbs for breakfast, seriously? There is a reason it is called break-fast. During fast (like at night time) your body will cannibalize itself. It is ideal to consume fat and protein before you go to bed and after you you wake up. No whey protein or eggs (best sources of protein) when you are trying to gain muscle mass? No essential fatty acids. The fish stick may have some, but EFAs don't do well in heat.
Redbull has some steroids ingredients

Old
08-25-2012, 09:48 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston View Post
I think you missed his point.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Lance Armstrong could put 15 lbs on in 2 months no problem

Old
08-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger

Not to be a science nerd or anything, but their is ZERO possibility he added 15 pounds of muscle mass in 3 months. Most of that weight is water and fat stored in the muscle, muscle cells don't divide :p

All that matters is he's having a productive off season of training and he'll be in game shape from day one.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:30 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I used bowflex for 2 months and gained 15lbs of pure muscle mass. I then gave away all my fat clothes to all my fat friends.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:32 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Is that a joke?

I've tried working out on a bowflex. It's a piece of crap.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:33 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Is that a joke?

I've tried working out on a bowflex. It's a piece of crap.
He quoted the commercial.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Lol ok. Never seen it.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
Not to be a science nerd or anything, but their is ZERO possibility he added 15 pounds of muscle mass in 3 months. Most of that weight is water and fat stored in the muscle, muscle cells don't divide :p

All that matters is he's having a productive off season of training and he'll be in game shape from day one.
Not to be a smarter science nerd, but when you work out you are causing minor damage to your muscles, forcing your body to rebuild them and make them larger to adjust to your new environment. Your body uses protein to make the repairs.

Combined with weight lifting he would be on a cardiovascular workout which would have taken care of his water weight issue.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:25 PM
topshelfie
No Rispeck

Turris ate cheesecake everyday since he scored that OT winner.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Turris ate cheesecake everyday since he scored that OT winner.
source?

Closed Thread