HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Thread Part IV: Will there be NHL hockey this year?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-24-2012, 01:41 PM
  #326
HavlatMach9
Registered User
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
The fact that GMBM traded Rundblad away for Turris tells me he's still got some growing to do.
I didn't like the justification Murray gave when he did the trade. He said because Cowen was playing well (that time when he was on fire), it'd made it possible to trade Rundblad, it seemed too sudden based on a good week from Cowen.

Though he said Turris was a good player and both Murray/MacLean were very happy about getting him.

HavlatMach9 is online now  
Old
08-24-2012, 02:10 PM
  #327
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,271
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
I didn't like the justification Murray gave when he did the trade. He said because Cowen was playing well (that time when he was on fire), it'd made it possible to trade Rundblad, it seemed too sudden based on a good week from Cowen.

Though he said Turris was a good player and both Murray/MacLean were very happy about getting him.
Better than saying "Rundblad isn't good enough defensively and has said he might not go to the AHL if sent there, so we're getting rid of him and we're filling in a position we desperatly needed to fill"

Do Make Say Think is online now  
Old
08-24-2012, 02:19 PM
  #328
benjiv1
Registered User
 
benjiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngelinaJolie View Post
No way Turris gained 15lbs of "muscle" (keyword) in 3 months that's impossible naturally and anyone who says they've done it is talking out of their ass.
He has been training since the Sens were eliminated. So that's 4.5 months.

The guy has only not been in Ottawa for two weeks while he was on vacation. I would definetly say it is plausible.

benjiv1 is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 02:25 PM
  #329
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 750
Vote Alfie everybody

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1250951

saskriders is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 02:34 PM
  #330
Philadelphia Collins
Registered User
 
Philadelphia Collins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Gonna suck that this lockout means we may never see Alfie on the ice again

Philadelphia Collins is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 02:35 PM
  #331
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,271
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
He has been training since the Sens were eliminated. So that's 4.5 months.

The guy has only not been in Ottawa for two weeks while he was on vacation. I would definetly say it is plausible.
You clearly don't work out regularly: it would be ridiculous.

Do Make Say Think is online now  
Old
08-24-2012, 02:46 PM
  #332
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
I don't know about that. The guys aren't burning a zillion calories playing and practising everyday. I think it's pretty reasonable that they'll gain weight just on that fact alone.

Weight doesn't mean anything anyway. They train specifically for hockey.

The actual number doesn't really make a difference if Turris shows up stronger and ready.

John Holmes* is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 02:53 PM
  #333
benjiv1
Registered User
 
benjiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
You clearly don't work out regularly: it would be ridiculous.
Less than 4 pounds per month? An average person can pack on 2-3 pounds of muscle per month with the right program. Turris has access to unlimited resources, additionally, its much easier for someone with his frame to add mass. (Not to mention they would likely have developed a supplemental plan for him)

Also, everyone is different in terms of muscle growth and development, making it nearly impossible to gauge the maximum Turris could gain in a month.

benjiv1 is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
  #334
balaclava brian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
You clearly don't work out regularly: it would be ridiculous.
Give a condescending answer and you're likely to receive one back...

You clearly don't know how to work out effectively.

Playoffs ended (for the Sens) the last week of April, Turris has said he took a few weeks off with his family and girlfriend and went back to training. Say he was off until the middle of May, which gives him the better part of three months to put on fifteen pounds.

Expert training+excellent nutrition+a non-muscular body to start with=the very real possibility to add 15lbs in that time frame.

Most guy's training schedule consists of:
Breakfast- 2 poptarts and a Redbull
Lunch - Big Mac meal
Dinner - Kraft Dinner and fish sticks
Crush a few beers several nights a week
Train 4 days a week doing bicep curls, chest flyes and leg extensions and then wonder why they don't make any progress and question those who do.

An expert strength and conditioning coach would have their trainees conducting squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead pressing, power cleans, etc. Combined with some GPP and strongman conditioning drills/exercises. Usually the stuff (besides bench) the regular gym dude has never attempted.

The fact is most people have no clue to what effective training and nutrition should look like.

To anyone who cares...
http://www.amazon.ca/Super-Squats-Po.../dp/0926888005
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=134&pid=2487
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...t.asp?pid=2976
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Prog...ref=pd_sim_b_2

Also of interest,
Bill Starr's 5X5
Madcow 3X5
Westside-Barbell Conjugate Method
Slomov

I am not advocating hockey athletes become powerlifters, bodybuilders, strongman athletes, etc. However, many of these training principles can be included into any sport specific training program. Heck, Olympic level sprinters are including Olympic style weightlifting exercises into their training routines - what does that tell you...

Peace.

balaclava brian is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 05:30 PM
  #335
ElRossoMatt
Registered User
 
ElRossoMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bucharest,Romania
Country: Romania
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post
Gonna suck that this lockout means we may never see Alfie on the ice again
I noticed that a couple of you guys seem to be preety sure that it's this year and that's it for Alfie. I thought he left the door open for another year after this one. I didn't keep up with the team news this summer, was anything more been said after he announced his return?

ElRossoMatt is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 05:32 PM
  #336
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,271
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by balaclava brian View Post
Give a condescending answer and you're likely to receive one back...

You clearly don't know how to work out effectively.

Playoffs ended (for the Sens) the last week of April, Turris has said he took a few weeks off with his family and girlfriend and went back to training. Say he was off until the middle of May, which gives him the better part of three months to put on fifteen pounds.

Expert training+excellent nutrition+a non-muscular body to start with=the very real possibility to add 15lbs in that time frame.

Most guy's training schedule consists of:
Breakfast- 2 poptarts and a Redbull
Lunch - Big Mac meal
Dinner - Kraft Dinner and fish sticks
Crush a few beers several nights a week
Train 4 days a week doing bicep curls, chest flyes and leg extensions and then wonder why they don't make any progress and question those who do.

An expert strength and conditioning coach would have their trainees conducting squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead pressing, power cleans, etc. Combined with some GPP and strongman conditioning drills/exercises. Usually the stuff (besides bench) the regular gym dude has never attempted.

The fact is most people have no clue to what effective training and nutrition should look like.

To anyone who cares...
http://www.amazon.ca/Super-Squats-Po.../dp/0926888005
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=134&pid=2487
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...t.asp?pid=2976
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Prog...ref=pd_sim_b_2

Also of interest,
Bill Starr's 5X5
Madcow 3X5
Westside-Barbell Conjugate Method
Slomov

I am not advocating hockey athletes become powerlifters, bodybuilders, strongman athletes, etc. However, many of these training principles can be included into any sport specific training program. Heck, Olympic level sprinters are including Olympic style weightlifting exercises into their training routines - what does that tell you...

Peace.
So, just because a lot of people don't know how to work out I dont know what I'm talking about?
15 pounds of muscle in a single off season would be crazy. Possible? I don't know enough to make that assertion, but from what I gather 2 pounds a month is pretty much standard.

Do Make Say Think is online now  
Old
08-24-2012, 05:56 PM
  #337
balaclava brian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
So, just because a lot of people don't know how to work out I dont know what I'm talking about?
15 pounds of muscle in a single off season would be crazy. Possible? I don't know enough to make that assertion, but from what I gather 2 pounds a month is pretty much standard.
I don't want to get into an argument with you. However, you did say that gaining 15lbs of muscle in three months "would be ridiculous." Then a couple of posts later you respond, "Possible? I don't know enough to make that assertion"

By saying it "would be ridiculous" tells me that you do not know what you are talking about. By saying, "Possible? I don't know enough to make that assertion" you have told me and everyone else that by your own admission that you do not know.

That is how I can respond by saying, "You clearly don't know how to work out effectively." That isn't to say that you have no training knowledge whatsoever, but just that you shouldn't be objecting to any claims you admit you do not know enough about.

15lbs in one off season would be pretty amazing, especially for a non-strength athlete (ie. powerlifter, etc). It is not out of the realm of possibility, though. It is certainly possible for a tall, lanky kid who didn't have much muscle mass to begin with.

Take my opinion for what it is worth - one dude's opinion. However, my opinion is based on over a decade's worth of strength training and training with three professional level strength athletes, and my own lifts which are approaching the national level.

Peace.

Btw, I would just like to add. Talking about Big Macs and Kraft Dinner made me really hungry, lol..


Last edited by balaclava brian: 08-24-2012 at 08:13 PM.
balaclava brian is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 01:16 AM
  #338
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Monaco
Posts: 14,449
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngelinaJolie View Post
No way Turris gained 15lbs of "muscle" (keyword) in 3 months that's impossible naturally and anyone who says they've done it is talking out of their ass.
15 lbs of mass is nothing, particulary in 4 months. I think it's once again a battle of words... it might not be 100% muscle, of course. But people will "talk" like that, instead of scientifically explain what really happened

And by the way people who aren't particulary muscular to begin with can gain a lot of muscle really fast. I have seen it because 2 of my ex-gfs (lol from a long time ago) are now built like Schwartzie and do competitions or whatever it is (Not interested in that, I prefered them before lol). I was like wtf happened? And it happened very fast. There's so many products today on the market too (and not talking about steroids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
So, just because a lot of people don't know how to work out I dont know what I'm talking about?
15 pounds of muscle in a single off season would be crazy. Possible? I don't know enough to make that assertion, but from what I gather 2 pounds a month is pretty much standard.
There's nothing "standard" about today's NHL players though, they are paid to be "athlete machines". It's not Guy Lafleur's time anymore where you could smoke between 2 periods lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
I didn't like the justification Murray gave when he did the trade. He said because Cowen was playing well (that time when he was on fire), it'd made it possible to trade Rundblad, it seemed too sudden based on a good week from Cowen.
Don't put too much weight into what a GM says to the medias... It's to appease the mass (like the average fan who aren't hardcore fans like most of us here) and justify moves "the simple way" (the average fan doesn't "think hockey" the same way hardcore fans do). There's many things a GM can't say and wouldn't say publicly.

Reality is Rundblad was a valuable asset (we got him, built his value then used it) that he could part with because :

- Karlsson and Cowen are for real
- We have tons of defensive depht (Boro, Blood, Claesson, Wiercioch, Sdao, Gryba...)
- And the possibility to draft a high end D-man prospect in a draft stacked with D-men. Result : Cody Ceci

Looks like he knew what he was doing... If he didn't make that trade, 2nd line center would still be our biggest question mark, now instead it's one of our biggest hopes.

Xspyrit is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 08:30 AM
  #339
Huston
Registered User
 
Huston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by balaclava brian View Post
Most guy's training schedule consists of:
Breakfast- 2 poptarts and a Redbull
Lunch - Big Mac meal
Dinner - Kraft Dinner and fish sticks
Crush a few beers several nights a week
Your joking right? Not only does this lack calories, it is also void of micro-nutrients, except for the fortification with folate. There is a also something to be said about a diet with 55-60% or more calories coming from carbohydrates. Nothing but carbs for breakfast, seriously? There is a reason it is called break-fast. During fast (like at night time) your body will cannibalize itself. It is ideal to consume fat and protein before you go to bed and after you you wake up. No whey protein or eggs (best sources of protein) when you are trying to gain muscle mass? No essential fatty acids. The fish stick may have some, but EFAs don't do well in heat.

Huston is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 09:00 AM
  #340
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,759
vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston View Post
Your joking right? Not only does this lack calories, it is also void of micro-nutrients, except for the fortification with folate. There is a also something to be said about a diet with 55-60% or more calories coming from carbohydrates. Nothing but carbs for breakfast, seriously? There is a reason it is called break-fast. During fast (like at night time) your body will cannibalize itself. It is ideal to consume fat and protein before you go to bed and after you you wake up. No whey protein or eggs (best sources of protein) when you are trying to gain muscle mass? No essential fatty acids. The fish stick may have some, but EFAs don't do well in heat.
Redbull has some steroids ingredients

mat_sens is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 09:48 AM
  #341
V for Voodoo
Registered User
 
V for Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boom Shaka-Laka.
Country: Nepal
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston View Post
Your joking right? Not only does this lack calories, it is also void of micro-nutrients, except for the fortification with folate. There is a also something to be said about a diet with 55-60% or more calories coming from carbohydrates. Nothing but carbs for breakfast, seriously? There is a reason it is called break-fast. During fast (like at night time) your body will cannibalize itself. It is ideal to consume fat and protein before you go to bed and after you you wake up. No whey protein or eggs (best sources of protein) when you are trying to gain muscle mass? No essential fatty acids. The fish stick may have some, but EFAs don't do well in heat.
I think you missed his point.

V for Voodoo is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 10:01 AM
  #342
Lenny the Lynx
Registered User
 
Lenny the Lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 50
Lance Armstrong could put 15 lbs on in 2 months no problem

Lenny the Lynx is online now  
Old
08-25-2012, 10:10 AM
  #343
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger
 
Karl Cowensson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,163
vCash: 500
Not to be a science nerd or anything, but their is ZERO possibility he added 15 pounds of muscle mass in 3 months. Most of that weight is water and fat stored in the muscle, muscle cells don't divide :p

All that matters is he's having a productive off season of training and he'll be in game shape from day one.

Karl Cowensson is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 11:30 AM
  #344
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 16,442
vCash: 500
I used bowflex for 2 months and gained 15lbs of pure muscle mass. I then gave away all my fat clothes to all my fat friends.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 11:32 AM
  #345
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
Is that a joke?

I've tried working out on a bowflex. It's a piece of crap.

John Holmes* is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 11:33 AM
  #346
White Goodman
smell that fitness?
 
White Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: England
Posts: 6,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Is that a joke?

I've tried working out on a bowflex. It's a piece of crap.
He quoted the commercial.

White Goodman is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
  #347
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
Lol ok. Never seen it.

John Holmes* is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 12:17 PM
  #348
Qward
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 14,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
Not to be a science nerd or anything, but their is ZERO possibility he added 15 pounds of muscle mass in 3 months. Most of that weight is water and fat stored in the muscle, muscle cells don't divide :p

All that matters is he's having a productive off season of training and he'll be in game shape from day one.
Not to be a smarter science nerd, but when you work out you are causing minor damage to your muscles, forcing your body to rebuild them and make them larger to adjust to your new environment. Your body uses protein to make the repairs.

Combined with weight lifting he would be on a cardiovascular workout which would have taken care of his water weight issue.

Qward is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 12:25 PM
  #349
topshelfie
No Rispeck
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,398
vCash: 500
Turris ate cheesecake everyday since he scored that OT winner.

topshelfie is offline  
Old
08-25-2012, 12:53 PM
  #350
Qward
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 14,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Turris ate cheesecake everyday since he scored that OT winner.
source?

Qward is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.