HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Thread Part IV: Will there be NHL hockey this year?

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Sens Mile

vCash: 500
How would you guys feel about targeting Matt Cullen of the Minnesota Wild to come back to the organization centered around a deal for Condra or Regin? We need some toughness on the bottom six, a little veteran leadership will not hurt, can convert to a top six guy, Minnesota needs to cut money badly, an play the point on the powerplay, and the guy was pure heart and soul while he was here. Additionally he only has one year left on his pre-existing deal

Old
09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
trentmccleary

Are you calling Cullen "toughness"?

Old
09-05-2012, 02:59 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
How would you guys feel about targeting Matt Cullen of the Minnesota Wild to come back to the organization centered around a deal for Condra or Regin? We need some toughness on the bottom six, a little veteran leadership will not hurt, can convert to a top six guy, Minnesota needs to cut money badly, an play the point on the powerplay, and the guy was pure heart and soul while he was here. Additionally he only has one year left on his pre-existing deal
Yes please.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Gritty probably would of worked better

Old
09-05-2012, 03:02 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
Yes although with Smith just signing either Cullen or Smith would have to play wing. I also think the deal would have to involve more than a Regin or Condra centerpiece but Cullen was one of Murray's better deadline deals that i wish never left us.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:07 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
I'd be fine making that trade. He would add some grit... not really a tough guy though.

09-05-2012, 03:14 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Maybe he is thinking Mike Commodeodour?

Old
09-05-2012, 09:44 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
yahuh.

What I'm saying is that if you have the highest +/- on your team, the highest QoC on your team, the highest Corsi on your team, the lowest % of offensive starts on your team and a crazy high takeaway number (Marcel Goc), then you are a God amongst men.
Alright, so we're cool. It's agreed then: Plus/minus is near useless, since you need 4 other stats at minimum before it can hold any value whatsoever, due to how subjective it is as a stat. It is inherently un-trustable without other data, and to be perfectly honest, the other data probably is more telling than the +/- ever was in the first place.

And because you need other stats to give it "language", it has no real face value whatsoever, it is, at best, the most "accessory" stat in the NHL. Because after all, any stat that needs 4 or more other stats to give the original stat context is a very poor statistic.

Agreed. I'm glad that's behind us. It's so nice to have closure.

Old
09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
McFist
sfbkjasd sihfdoif_(!

Aw man this is when you start to feel it. All summer I've been sort of "meh" about the CBA talks, and now here we are - 9 days to go and nothing doing. I only follow 2 sports religiously, one's about to end for the season and now NO HOCKEY!!! I'm freaking out!! To make matters worse, I actually agreed with a Don Brennan article today!! What is going on?!

Old
09-06-2012, 04:13 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
I work at The Sens Store and Bryan Murray popped in here at the Carlingwood location.

My buddy: "Bryan, think we'll see some hockey this season?"

BM: "I doubt it."

Straight up. No hesitation.

Old
09-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
Aw man this is when you start to feel it. All summer I've been sort of "meh" about the CBA talks, and now here we are - 9 days to go and nothing doing. I only follow 2 sports religiously, one's about to end for the season and now NO HOCKEY!!! I'm freaking out!! To make matters worse, I actually agreed with a Don Brennan article today!! What is going on?!
Please tell me you don't mean BRennan's article from yesterday... The man makes a case for his total lack of understanding of the issue, goes on to blame everyone like the child he is (or maybe what SUNmedia wants him to say) and you agree?

The CBA is important stuff: just because the likes of Brennan don't put the effort of understanding the issues and cry about it doesn't change the fact that the issues need to be addressed.

Inform yourself, pick and side and keep track of what's going on. Don't want to do that? Then don't complain about the adults having adult discussions about serious matters.

Old
09-06-2012, 05:53 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
I work at The Sens Store and Bryan Murray popped in here at the Carlingwood location.

+ every swear word imaginable, I hate Bettman

Old
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Yokai

vCash: 966
Quote:

Murray/MacLean/Richardson/T.Murray were apparently all in Stittsville having lunch today though, so at least they are keeping busy!

Old
09-06-2012, 06:14 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

****K if there is a lockout i'm not buying any tickets this year (if there is a half season) or next year (if there is a no season). This is ridiculous, if you know you're so far apart in the discussion, start the negotiations earlier ffs.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:46 PM
McFist
sfbkjasd sihfdoif_(!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Please tell me you don't mean BRennan's article from yesterday... The man makes a case for his total lack of understanding of the issue, goes on to blame everyone like the child he is (or maybe what SUNmedia wants him to say) and you agree?

The CBA is important stuff: just because the likes of Brennan don't put the effort of understanding the issues and cry about it doesn't change the fact that the issues need to be addressed.

Inform yourself, pick and side and keep track of what's going on. Don't want to do that? Then don't complain about the adults having adult discussions about serious matters.
Wow, you're really proving a point here. I have to "pick a side?" I think stubborn, entrenched positions is what is earning this third lockout in under 2 decades. What's disheartening is the total lack of urgency at even getting talks started this summer, and the attitude of ownership in particular of taking the fanbase for granted is even worse.

What I agreed with is that as usual, when the dust finally settles, fans are expected to enthusiastically come rushing back, after both sides having dragged their feet through the summer. As soon as the (inevitable) lockout ends, most fans will come running back, and I agree that there should be repercussions. It won't happen, but it should.

Clearly you read that opinion piece with full knowledge of what a moronic blowhard Brennan is, but I think it colored your assessment of the article itself. It read to me like he was bickering about the seeming lack of urgency on either side and the implied expectation that fans will flock back to the league like good little sheep.

Who said the issues don't need to be addressed? I didn't. I'm not informed? Hard to gauge based on an opinion piece that was an appeal to fans' sentiment and not to any particular issues. Don't want people to complain about an impending lockout? Don't come to a sports forum.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
Wow, you're really proving a point here. I have to "pick a side?" I think stubborn, entrenched positions is what is earning this third lockout in under 2 decades. What's disheartening is the total lack of urgency at even getting talks started this summer, and the attitude of ownership in particular of taking the fanbase for granted is even worse.

What I agreed with is that as usual, when the dust finally settles, fans are expected to enthusiastically come rushing back, after both sides having dragged their feet through the summer. As soon as the (inevitable) lockout ends, most fans will come running back, and I agree that there should be repercussions. It won't happen, but it should.

Clearly you read that opinion piece with full knowledge of what a moronic blowhard Brennan is, but I think it colored your assessment of the article itself. It read to me like he was bickering about the seeming lack of urgency on either side and the implied expectation that fans will flock back to the league like good little sheep.

Who said the issues don't need to be addressed? I didn't. I'm not informed? Hard to gauge based on an opinion piece that was an appeal to fans' sentiment and not to any particular issues. Don't want people to complain about an impending lockout? Don't come to a sports forum.
I didn't mean to come across all high and mighty, I forget you can't hear people typing sometimes.

That Brennan piece made very, very angry. The NHL has been asking the PA to talk about the CBA for about 6 months prior to the end of the season, the PA had to get it's house in order before going ahead with things I can understand, but they waited for crunch time because it helps their cause. They nixed the realignement because it helped their cause.
If you think that both sides are not trying then you are not paying attention and for a guy like Brennan, who is PAID to keep track of things to insinuate that they are not trying hard enough and that he doesn't want to keep track of things is absolute madness.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:03 PM
McFist
sfbkjasd sihfdoif_(!

Quote:
I didn't mean to come across all high and mighty, I forget you can't hear people typing sometimes.

That Brennan piece made very, very angry. The NHL has been asking the PA to talk about the CBA for about 6 months prior to the end of the season, the PA had to get it's house in order before going ahead with things I can understand, but they waited for crunch time because it helps their cause. They nixed the realignement because it helped their cause.
If you think that both sides are not trying then you are not paying attention and for a guy like Brennan, who is PAID to keep track of things to insinuate that they are not trying hard enough and that he doesn't want to keep track of things is absolute madness.
Well I was surprised at the response to what I thought was an innocuous comment of mine. It's just very disheartening to hear that talks have slowed to the degree they have in the last week or so. And I should clarify that when I said I was "meh" about the CBA talks, it's not I hadn't been following things, just that the urgency hadn't hit me until this week.

And no harm done, it's very hard to convey tone while typing

Old
09-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Marklar*

Quote:

Bryan is old. He certainly thought your friend was referring to the season of Fall. Hockey will get going when Winter starts.

I could have sworn you said you worked for the Sens Marketing team.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:09 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

I.am.pissed.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:11 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
I could have sworn you said you worked for the Sens Marketing team.
I do.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
****K if there is a lockout i'm not buying any tickets this year (if there is a half season) or next year (if there is a no season). This is ridiculous, if you know you're so far apart in the discussion, start the negotiations earlier ffs.
The NHL wanted to start talking about this back in Novembre 2011. The PA said no thank you.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Max Power

Quote:
The NHL wanted to start talking about this back in Novembre 2011. The PA said no thank you.
Probably irrelevant either way. It's just a game of chicken which will always get dragged into a point where money is being lost by both sides.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
I loved having Cullen last time round...

But, he probably shouldn't join us because he has a crap corsi stat

But seriously, if we hadn't signed Smith I'd say yes...

Old
09-07-2012, 03:12 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Here's some nostalgia for people who are depressed. Found it while cleaning out my HF postbox.

From the legendary avatar bet game against the cocky Habs faithful, the end result was a victory for the good guys and a whole pile of icons of Spezza laughing while saying the following phrases:

1. With Souray gone, Komi is my new ***** !!
2. Price was good until I scored two goals on him.
3. You know it's bad when you get shut out by Gerber.
4. Next game, I'll play the Habs 3 on 5 to give them a shot.
5. I pity the Habs fans right now. Seriously. Pity.
6. Well, it's a moral victory for the Habs.
7. Habs? EPIC FAIL.
8. I think the Habs pretty much choked on puck drop.
9. Hamrlik....MY BALLS!
10. Streit...to 5th place.
11. Koivu is like the gum on the sole of Alfie's shoe.
12. Like most UFAs, I wouldn't play for Montreal either.
13. Price could learn a thing or two from Patrick Lalime.
14. It's fun to win in Montreal and see all the sad faces.
15. I told Kovalev to turn his girlish frown, upside down.
16. Shooting fish in a barrel is like scoring goals on Price.
17. Koivu is kind of like me, only unsuccessful.
18. I bet the Habs wouldn't score and they didn't!
19. Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole...shut the **** up !!
20. At least the Bruins can put up a fight.
21. Not laughing AT the Habs, I'm laughing WITH them.
22. Boy, are you guys ever lucky to have Smolinski.
23. Two more games against Montreal? Giddy up!!
24. Habs lost because the ref didn't disallow all my goals.

Old
09-08-2012, 03:07 PM
pepty

Garrioch at last has an Alfie sighting:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/09/07/...still-got-game

Closed Thread