HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXVIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXVIII

...and the story continues....

(previous thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...223541&page=41)

Old
07-20-2012, 10:59 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Like others have stated, I'd rather offersheet Benn but I bet they would match.

No thanks to Voracek.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:30 AM
crazyforhockey

still think that beyond a small chance to sign Doan....... and possible piece in a luongo deal...if it happens

is that ...Manny will return closer to form before his injury......full summer workout regieme

a number of prospects surprising fans, making the team

and with a strong core of vets....protecting inexperince,the rookies skil set will surprise our fans

Old
07-21-2012, 01:43 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Just win....?

Old
07-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Jrtu

vCash: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Just win....?
This.

I wouldn't care if they ice five Alberts on the ice at once, as long as we win the Cup!

Old
07-21-2012, 03:39 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrtu View Post
This.

I wouldn't care if they ice five Alberts on the ice at once, as long as we win the Cup!

That's a scary thought.
Is 1 not enough?

Old
07-21-2012, 03:58 AM
BrandonL

If the Canucks are considering offer sheets, I hope they look at Evander Kane.

It would take a lot to get him out of Winnipeg, but he would look great in the Canucks top six.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Farhan Lalji*

Farhan's $0.02 - Should the Canucks throw Kesler in with the inevitable Luongo trade?

Farhan's $0.02 - Should the Canucks throw Kesler in with the inevitable Luongo trade?

Lets get one thing straight right now. I'm not creating this thread to suggest some kind of trade proposal. What I am stating however, are some opinions that could be considered possible truths........and here they are:

1) Luongo, by himself, is not going to fetch us a superstar player in return and/or a top tier prospect like Jake Gardiner or Erik Gudbranson. Unfortunately, as great as Luongo has been for us for the most part, his multiple playoff nightmares and disasters will prevent teams from giving up what Gillis would expect them to give up. Please notice - I did NOT mention Luongo's age and/or contract (in my opinion, these two factors are overrated..........and haven't been the factors scaring away other teams).

2) Ryan Kesler is (was?) a great player and a great warrior. We saw what he did during the 2010 Olympics, and we saw what he did during the 1st two rounds of the 2011 playoffs at full health. Unfortunately - With hip/labrum surgery, and shoulder surgery, there is a very strong possibility that Kesler may not be the same player ever again. Since Kesler's value is relatively high right now, a possible argument can be made that the Canucks should trade him while they can.

3) Canucks' Window: As much as we want to believe that this current core still has a shot of getting back to the Finals, history has proven that the likelihood of a team coming back to the finals with a similar core in such a short time span, is extremely unlikely..........and that probability is even more unlikely in a salary cap era. Detroit was a team that was head over heels over ankles better than everyone in 2008-2009, while Pitsburgh was very very young.

Bottom line? The Canucks, with this current core, might be out of luck.

Possible solution:

Package Kesler with Luongo, so that it possibly lands us a top notch prospect that will undoubtedly help us big time in the future.

Florida has guys like Gudbranson and Huberdeau. Toronto has Gardiner, Carter, and Kadri. Packaging Kesler with Luongo should get both players from Florida, or all 3 players from Toronto.........would it not?

Given the promise of these players, it's not too farfetched to assume that these guys will be major impact players in the year 2013-2014..........a time period in which Zack Kassian could possibly be a beast as well........while the twins could very likely still be PPG players, or 0.90PPG players.

Anyway - just food for thought.

I don't think it's too farfetched to say that this core's time has passed, and that packaging Kesler with Luongo could be the very best thing to do in terms of ensuring that our not-so-distant future is stacked, primed, and ready for a greater likelihood of a repeat cup run.

Humourous spelling error corrected - CM

Old
07-21-2012, 07:38 PM
express

The real Farhan wouldn't suggest such sillyness.

I don't understand the doom and gloom of this apparently aging core. The Sedins are the only significant players on this team over 30 years old.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:41 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by express View Post
The real Farhan wouldn't suggest such sillyness.

I don't understand the doom and gloom of this apparently aging core. The Sedins are the only significant players on this team over 30 years old.
They represent our entire offence. In the playoffs it's all on them or we have to win 1-0 thanks to great goaltending.

The only top 6 forward on this roster brought in by Gillis in 4 years is that piece of trash David Booth, the guy with the hockey sense of a poorly trained monkey.

The defence is deep and solid and the goaltending was inherited. Gillis needs to add a legitimate, young, top 6 forward who is actually ready to have an impact in the playoffs.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:44 PM
express

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
They represent our entire offence. In the playoffs it's all on them or we have to win 1-0 thanks to great goaltending.

The only top 6 forward on this roster brought in by Gillis in 4 years is that piece of trash David Booth, the guy with the hockey sense of a poorly trained monkey.

The defence is deep and solid and the goaltending was inherited. Gillis needs to add a legitimate, young, top 6 forward who is actually ready to have an impact in the playoffs.
They're also only 31, and easily should still have at least 5 years of being able to play at a PPG. Kesler's not going to start regressing any time soon either, to trade him for a young player who may or may not have impact in the playoffs is asinine.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhan Lalji View Post

Lets get one thing straight right now. I'm not creating this thread to suggest some kind of trade proposal. What I am stating however, are some opinions that could be considered possible truths........and here they are:

1) Luongo, by himself, is not going to fetch us a superstar player in return and/or a top tier prospect like Jake Gardiner or Erik Gudbranson. Unfortunately, as great as Luongo has been for us for the most part, his multiple playoff nightmares and disasters will prevent teams from giving up what Gillis would expect them to give up. Please notice - I did NOT mention Luongo's age and/or contract (in my opinion, these two factors are overrated..........and haven't been the factors scaring away other teams).

2) Ryan Kesler is (was?) a great player and a great warrior. We saw what he did during the 2010 Olympics, and we saw what he did during the 1st two rounds of the 2011 playoffs at full health. Unfortunately - With hip/labia surgery, and shoulder surgery, there is a very strong possibility that Kesler may not be the same player ever again. Since Kesler's value is relatively high right now, a possible argument can be made that the Canucks should trade him while they can.
labrum... LABRUM!!! For christs sakes.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:48 PM
express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post

Maybe that was supposed to be a camouflaged dig at Kes.

Though I'm probably giving OP a bit too much credit, haha.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
hahahaha

Awesome.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

I always thought Kesler skated funny.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Farhan Lalji*

Sorry guys,

I meant Labrum, lol.

Let me cite one analogy. I don't know if it's 1:1 with our current situation, but I'll mention it anyway.

At the end of 2004, if someone had suggested that we trade Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovanovski, or Morrison for future help, they would have been tarred and feathered by the local faithful.

However - looking back on it, it probably wouldn't have been such a bad idea. Buy low sell high. As we all know, the Canucks took a significant nose dive in 2005/06, and it became obvious that a new core was needed. If it hadn't been for the Luongo deal that fell into Nonis lap by complete fluke, this team was headed for the basement.

As was the case then, the Canucks lacked propsects and the cupboards were bare as far as the farm went.

Perhaps I'm wrong on this, but I think the Canucks might be in a similar situation now, as they were at the end of 2004: A team that reached its peak, but might be on decline now. A team that has been successful for a number of years now, but don't have much in the way of future prospects.

Just as the Canucks became overly dependent on Naslund, they appeared to be overly dependent on the twins last year. Injuries lead to Bertuzzi declining as a player, and I'm wondering if we'll see the same thing with Kesler. Maybe....maybe not?

Anyway - I think a good argument can be made that this team needs to get bigger, younger, and faster. If Kesler's health continues to be an issue, which results in the twins having to completely carry the load, then this team is in trouble.

Old
whoshouse

It makes sense to gauge that value of Kesler around the league but I don't think this off-season would be the right time to pull the trigger. His value is much lower now that he is injured and will likely start the season on the LTIR. Perhaps, if Kesler plays well this coming season, Gillis can off-load him to a team for a plethora of prospects, much like what the Flyers accomplished.

Old
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
I do not believe the Canucks will realize a rich return on Luongo. There are too many question marks around him. Adding Kesler adds more question marks.

Having failed to move Luongo, I hope Gillis does not deal away Schnieder chasing a big return. Instead I'd like to see Gillis lure a young free agent onto the top six. With the focus being placed on Kesler's late start to next season (if there is one!) I would have thought the Canucks would have signed a young center by now. This hasn't happened and Luongo discussion has stalled as well, making me think the NHL's opening salvo in CBA talks looms large over any deals.

Imagine if the management thought there is no way there is going to be hockey this season. Would they be rushing to dump assets? Or, collect new ones? In fact, who is going to trade for an older player or sign somebody to a big contract with signing bonuses?

I'd have had all this done earlier. It's not like the CBA expiration was a big surprise. Now, the Canucks are stuck. Luongo at the deadline had some cachet. Whatever, they are immobilized for the forseeable future, until the CBA is signed, at least. Really, at this juncture, Gillis doing nothing might be a good thing?

Old
07-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
The spelling mistake was funny but it's been corrected. Let's move on to the topic. Thanks.

07-21-2012, 08:06 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by express View Post
They're also only 31, and easily should still have at least 5 years of being able to play at a PPG. Kesler's not going to start regressing any time soon either, to trade him for a young player who may or may not have impact in the playoffs is asinine.
The Sedins won't be ppg players at age 36 that's just crazy talk. They may only have 2 great years and a couple good years after that. IMO they have had their best seasons, so has Kesler. That's why it's up to Gillis to bring in some help.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:06 PM
whoshouse

It probably makes more sense to hang on to Kesler, increase his value and trade him for Weber the year after (or whoever is on the market). Obviously the trade would be much bigger than that, but everyone gets the point.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Barney Gumble

So it's the OPs line of reasoning that the Canucks should "rebuild now"?

Meh, there are ZERO GM's (not even Garth Snow) who would make such radical moves at this point with this type of team.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:15 PM
keslerburrows

Weiss, Gudbranson and a first. 3 pieces I want involved if Luongo and Kesler are traded.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Farhan Lalji*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
The Sedins won't be ppg players at age 36 that's just crazy talk. They may only have 2 great years and a couple good years after that. IMO they have had their best seasons, so has Kesler. That's why it's up to Gillis to bring in some help.
I pretty much agree with this.

Although it's not impossible, there is a risk.

Take Naslund for instance. Look at this play in 2004........and compare it to 2007. Things can change very quickly.

I look at Florida's line up and it's obvious that they need an immediate impact center. Kesler would be a great fit.

We then get Huberdeau and Gudbranson. If both guys live up to their potential, then Huberdeau would easily take over the reigns on Henrik as #1 center when the time comes. Gudbranson then becomes our franchise defenseman.

I guess the main point I'm making is this:

-The Canucks want to hold onto Schneider
-Luongo is all but gone from here.
-Luongo will not fetch us anything of significance by himself
-If Kesler doesn't turn back into the player that he was in 2010/2011, this team will not return to the Stanley Cup Finals. With Kesler's serious injuries and surgeries, this may very well be the case.

-Packaging Kesler with Luongo (or just packaging Kesler in an independent deal), might be the best way to go in terms of securing this team's future.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Henrik To Daniel

The Sedins will still be playing at an elite level 5 years from now. They play a style that does not require them to be physical or be speedy. Puck possession players tend to have longer careers (Jagr)

Closed Thread