HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Question about Center Ice

Old
08-11-2012, 12:02 PM
vayeate
OZ-13MSX1

vCash: 500
Question about Center Ice

I've never had Center Ice in the past and was looking into getting it this season.

1) Will Center Ice blackout your local sports games? It says "40 out-of-market games a week", does this mean no in-market games? On the other hand, it also says "Dual feeds of select games let you choose your home town announcers", implying that you can watch home games.

2) It says "40 out-of-market games a week". Does this mean it has a set schedule of games (like OLN/Versus), or do you get to pick which games you get to watch?

3) Everywhere I've looked, I haven't been able to find a price for this package. I'm sure the price has yet to be determined for next season, but does anyone have an estimation (based off of previous years' prices)?

vayeate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

No local market stuff by default but I think you can get a VPN to work around it.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

1) You most likely can't watch in market games. For some reason last year, I was blacked out for Leafs games and NOT for Senators games, even though I live 8 minutes from the Scotiabank Place.

2) You can watch every single out of Market game that is not on national TV or available on a TV in your region.

3) Cost should range from $120-150 most likely.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:20 PM
billybobjoe2112

vCash: 50
Chances are if it's a local game you should have it on a "local" channel. No need to pay for the same game twice.

billybobjoe2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:25 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayeate View Post
1) Will Center Ice blackout your local sports games? It says "40 out-of-market games a week", does this mean no in-market games? On the other hand, it also says "Dual feeds of select games let you choose your home town announcers", implying that you can watch home games.
They will black out any games that you should be able to get on a local or national provider. As in, you can't use Center Ice to watch your local team to avoid buying your local sports package. The expectation is that you will have your local package and then supplement it with Center Ice.

Games involving your local team that are not carried locally or nationally for some reason, but are carried somewhere else (likely in the market of the opposing team) you will be able to watch.

The dual feed quote implies that your 'home town' team is not your local team (that, for instance, you've moved, and you're using Center Ice to follow the team from your hometown - so if you've moved from Boston to Florida and you're watching a Boston-Philadelphia game on CI, if it's a dual feed game you can choose whether to watch the Boston-market broadcast or the Philadelphia-market broadcast).

Quote:
2) It says "40 out-of-market games a week". Does this mean it has a set schedule of games (like OLN/Versus), or do you get to pick which games you get to watch?
It's every game that has a broadcast anywhere (with rare exceptions on 12+-games-at-the-same-time instances). You pick which games you want to watch and they are not individually 'ordered'. It's a whole slew of channels you have access to and can switch between at your leisure.

Quote:
3) Everywhere I've looked, I haven't been able to find a price for this package. I'm sure the price has yet to be determined for next season, but does anyone have an estimation (based off of previous years' prices)?
It's been between 200 and 240 in Canada recently, I believe a little cheaper in the US.

There is usually a free week-or-two at the start of the season (and another free week midseason) so you should be able to try it out and see if you like how it works with no commitment.

Last edited by tmg: 08-11-2012 at 12:34 PM.
tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

My apologies, I thought you were inquiring about Gamecenter. That only changes #3 for my response.

In Canada with Rogers, you have to buy an entire sports pack including NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, MLB Extra Innings, NASCAR Whatever, and the OHL Action Pak along with NHL Center Ice for ~35 a month.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:37 PM
vayeate
OZ-13MSX1

Thanks for your quick responses. This was helpful.

vayeate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:41 PM
LVDucks238

Anything deemed to be in your local market, you will not get the home broadcast for. For example, being in Vegas, I'm a part of the Kings and Ducks "local market", so I don't get any of the local feeds through center ice. Thankfully, most of the Ducks games are on Fox Sports West or Prime Ticket. However, when the games are on KDOC, which is a channel I can't get, I am able to watch the opposing team broadcast providing there is one.

Pretty sure every game that is televised, other than national broadcasts (NBC, NBCSN) is available.

Not sure where you are or what provider you have, but my Center Ice through DirceTV is $170.

LVDucks238 is offline   Reply With Quote