HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

2013 U20 World Cup in Turkey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2013, 05:24 PM
  #1
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
2013 U20 World Cup in Turkey

France has a huge team with Pogba, Thauvin, Digne, Kondogbia, etc... Varane is injured unfortunately, but still it's a very strong team.
Brazil and Argentina failed to qualify (first time it happens).

Other dangerous teams : Colombia, Spain, Portugal and Croatia look strong on paper.

France and Spain are in Group A with always dangerous Ghana and the US.
Group B seems to be Portugal's.
Group C should be Colombia's.
Other groups seems wide open.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:27 PM
  #2
Schalkenullvier*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: tief im westen
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 500
why the hell do they hold a u20 world cup at the same time as an u21 EURO??

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:05 PM
  #3
Live in the Now
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,796
vCash: 500
Awards:
Only two teams are qualified for both, and technically they aren't at the same time

Going to be hard for the US to get out of their group, but there is the 3rd place route, so hopefully they get through somehow.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:58 PM
  #4
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 72,438
vCash: 50
Lets see how long it takes for England to be embarrassed at this international tournament.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:49 PM
  #5
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,259
vCash: 500
The Dutch didn't qualify ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:52 PM
  #6
Live in the Now
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,796
vCash: 500
Awards:
Qualification was achieved through the 2012 UEFA U-19 Championships, which the Netherlands did not qualify for.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
  #7
HajdukSplit
Registered User
 
HajdukSplit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NJ
Country: Croatia
Posts: 5,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Other dangerous teams : Colombia, Spain, Portugal and Croatia look strong on paper.
unfortunately, like in 2011, we won't send our strongest team Most notable absence is Kovacic who Inter did not want to release for this tournament.

It won't be as bad as 2011 when we sent a "C" (not even B!) team halfway around the world with 5 days training which culminated in a loss to Guatemala which even Saudi Arabia beat by 4-5 goals We seem to have a reasonable group and a good manager though.

Colombia looked really good at the Toulon Tournament from what I saw.

Here are the groups:

A: France, Ghana, USA, Spain
B: Cuba, South Korea, Nigeria, Portugal
C: Turkey, El Salvador, Colombia, Australia
D: Mexico, Greece, Paraguay, Mali
E: Chile, Egypt, England, Iraq
F: New Zealand, Uzbekistan, Uruguay, Croatia

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:52 PM
  #8
Live in the Now
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,796
vCash: 500
Awards:
Can't wait to see Nigeria's U-30 squad. Those guys are usually good.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:01 PM
  #9
theaub
Lets go Hawks!
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Markham, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Can't wait to see Nigeria's U-30 squad. Those guys are usually good.
Hey now give them some credit. Its more like a U-28 squad.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 11:22 AM
  #10
Hesher
down on the upside
 
Hesher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: middle of nowhere
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 2,276
vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Lets see how long it takes for England to be embarrassed at this international tournament.
Judging from the U21s it won't take too long.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 11:53 AM
  #11
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent
 
xavi4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
I've been scouting South American teams and players for the last 8 months and I can tell you that Colombia has a real shot to win this. Juan Fernando Quintero is like a mini Michel Platini with a wicked left footed shot. Their attack will go through him. In defense they have Jhersen Vergara who just signed with AC Milan who was also very strong in the Toulon Tournament just last week. Colombia finished 2nd behind Brazil.

Chile is very fun to watch and has some great players too. Keep an eye out for Nicolas Castillo, Angelo Henriquez obviously and left wing Cristian Cuevas who has agreed to terms with Chelsea. In defense they have Igor Lichnovsky who is a towering beast but in the last tournament he was outplayed by his U de Chile teammate Valber Huerta.

Uruguay will showcase some great strikers like Nicolas Lopez and Diego Rolan, but most people will be looking at RB Guillermo Varela who just signed with Manchester United. I'd recommend you keep an eye out for Diego Laxalt who is an attack minded midfielder who has agreed to join Inter Milan this year. Uruguay had some really strong CB's in CONMEBOL U20 so I'll be keeping a close eye on them, especially Fabricio Formiliano. Goalkeeper Mathias Cubero deserves a look too if he starts.

As far as Paraguay goes I'm not as informed, but I do know that they will be led by towering CB Matias Perez. Antonio (Tony) Sanabria will most likely start and should be given a good look since he's a star for one of Barcelona's youth teams.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:40 AM
  #12
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Wow, this U20 french team could probably beat the real NT right now.
They had a very nice friendly yesterday, with Digne providing two assists, Yaya Sanogo (Arsenal) managing to stay healthy for the entire game (and thus finishing with one goal), Thauvin all over the place and Pogba with another goal.
Really too bad Varane and Roussillon are out. Otherwise, they'd look unbeatable on paper.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 02:24 AM
  #13
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Two heavy favourites met yesterday in a friendly, which is a bit weird. France had the lead for a while but Colombia tied the game and it finished 2-2.
It's the first time France doesn't win in their last 8 games.
Areola, PSG's fantastic goalie prospect, stopped a penalty in the first half.
France probably had the better chances and could have won the game, but Colombia tied it with a free kick 12 minutes from the end.
The bad news was that Zouma got injured in the first half, but apparently, he'll be fit for the start of the competition.
The defense has Zouma, Umtiti and Digne, which are three of the best defenseman prospects in the game and you have to keep in mind Varane is injured. Areola is also one of the best young goalies.
Pogba had a goal and an assist. Bahebeck and Thauvin are also quite a force offensively.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:45 PM
  #14
Jp20
Registered User
 
Jp20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Chile
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
I've been scouting South American teams and players for the last 8 months and I can tell you that Colombia has a real shot to win this. Juan Fernando Quintero is like a mini Michel Platini with a wicked left footed shot. Their attack will go through him. In defense they have Jhersen Vergara who just signed with AC Milan who was also very strong in the Toulon Tournament just last week. Colombia finished 2nd behind Brazil.

Chile is very fun to watch and has some great players too. Keep an eye out for Nicolas Castillo, Angelo Henriquez obviously and left wing Cristian Cuevas who has agreed to terms with Chelsea. In defense they have Igor Lichnovsky who is a towering beast but in the last tournament he was outplayed by his U de Chile teammate Valber Huerta.

Uruguay will showcase some great strikers like Nicolas Lopez and Diego Rolan, but most people will be looking at RB Guillermo Varela who just signed with Manchester United. I'd recommend you keep an eye out for Diego Laxalt who is an attack minded midfielder who has agreed to join Inter Milan this year. Uruguay had some really strong CB's in CONMEBOL U20 so I'll be keeping a close eye on them, especially Fabricio Formiliano. Goalkeeper Mathias Cubero deserves a look too if he starts.

As far as Paraguay goes I'm not as informed, but I do know that they will be led by towering CB Matias Perez. Antonio (Tony) Sanabria will most likely start and should be given a good look since he's a star for one of Barcelona's youth teams.
they also have Rabello who plays for sevilla. he was their best player during the qualifiers (henriquez wasnt playing) chile has a very bright future

Jp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:09 PM
  #15
HajdukSplit
Registered User
 
HajdukSplit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NJ
Country: Croatia
Posts: 5,144
vCash: 500
Not totally happy with the squad Croatia are sending, Kovacic was not released by Inter and Dinamo and Hajduk once again did not release any of their first team players. The attacking options look good and the manager is a decent prospect so then can still get by but they won't be as strong as they could have been

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:55 AM
  #16
KingLB
Registered User
 
KingLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
I thought all players had to be released for this tourny?

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:28 AM
  #17
HajdukSplit
Registered User
 
HajdukSplit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NJ
Country: Croatia
Posts: 5,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I thought all players had to be released for this tourny?
I;m not sure, Inter blocked Kovacic from going. Dinamo and Hajduk feel their preparations for the upcoming European season are more important. I'm sure the HNS didn't want to fight it

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:25 AM
  #18
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent
 
xavi4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Two heavy favourites met yesterday in a friendly, which is a bit weird. France had the lead for a while but Colombia tied the game and it finished 2-2.
It's the first time France doesn't win in their last 8 games.
Areola, PSG's fantastic goalie prospect, stopped a penalty in the first half.
France probably had the better chances and could have won the game, but Colombia tied it with a free kick 12 minutes from the end.
The bad news was that Zouma got injured in the first half, but apparently, he'll be fit for the start of the competition.
The defense has Zouma, Umtiti and Digne, which are three of the best defenseman prospects in the game and you have to keep in mind Varane is injured. Areola is also one of the best young goalies.
Pogba had a goal and an assist. Bahebeck and Thauvin are also quite a force offensively.
Who scored for Colombia?

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:01 PM
  #19
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Cordoba (header from a corner) and Quintero (on a FK).

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:05 PM
  #20
Savi
Registered User
 
Savi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bruges, Belgium
Country: Belgium
Posts: 3,545
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Wow, this U20 french team could probably beat the real NT right now.
They had a very nice friendly yesterday, with Digne providing two assists, Yaya Sanogo (Arsenal) managing to stay healthy for the entire game (and thus finishing with one goal), Thauvin all over the place and Pogba with another goal.
Really too bad Varane and Roussillon are out. Otherwise, they'd look unbeatable on paper.
Let's just cancel the tournament, give France the trophy already, and let all players go on their well deserved holidays

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:08 PM
  #21
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Haha, I've been high on this generation for a while. Gives some hope for the future given the state of the senior team.

But Spain's still the team to beat in this tournament.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:57 PM
  #22
Savi
Registered User
 
Savi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bruges, Belgium
Country: Belgium
Posts: 3,545
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Spain brings a decent team to the tourney. But better than France? I don't know about that.

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:59 PM
  #23
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent
 
xavi4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Cordoba (header from a corner) and Quintero (on a FK).
Thanks! I couldn't find any info about this game anywhere... internet fail on my part.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:39 PM
  #24
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
On paper, certainly not. But as long as they're in the competition, Spain has got to be the favourite.
And as I said, France is going to play without Varane, Roussillon and for the first game Zouma.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:22 PM
  #25
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent
 
xavi4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
*Bump*

I'm way more pumped about this than the Confederations Cup. Anybody have any skinny on the American players?

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.