HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo - Winnipeg

Old
08-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Buffalo - Winnipeg

To Buffalo:

C Patrice Cormier

To Winnipeg:

C Luke Adam

Now, this may get some mixed views, as do almost all proposals that contain highly-ranked or once-highly-ranked prospects, but this idea came to mind and I feel it could benefit both teams. Here, we're talking about a straight up prospect-for-prospect swap. Both of these guys were once pretty highly-touted but seem to have fallen especially after the draft just over a month ago. So, as to why both teams do this:

The Sabres have long been weak at the center position but just drafted Grigorenko and Girgensons, so have two new top prospects. Along with Ennis and Hodgson, two seemingly ready-to-break-out, young centers who have already shown great flash and talent in the NHL, Buffalo seems to have established some very good, young talent down the middle that looks to possibly be the answer to Buffalo's top-six center weakness of the past few years. However, Buffalo as a team has desired to get bigger, tougher, and meaner, and with the acquisitions of Ott and Scott have shown they are serious about it now. Buffalo's top-six centers are what we're excited for this year, but we feel our bottom-six is still something we should address. So, my idea of Cormier, a prospect once very high in the rankings that has fallen after a difficult year last year. Figures to project as a solid bottom-six, checking line center and anyone that has kept watch of him knows he isn't shy to playing a tough, hard-nosed, physical game, going back to his days in junior and as New Jersey Devils property. I think he's a project and this year is going to be huge for his development, but one that I'd personally love to take a look at because I feel this kid could fill a hole for us.

As for the Jets, to my knowledge, they're still looking for top-six talent at center, despite the signing of Olli Jokinen just a month ago. Adam, at this point of his career, might also be considered as a bit of a project, but is still one of Buffalo's top prospects. He has already shown something at the NHL level and projects to be a top-six player; whether it be at C or LW is still debated. Adam had great success opening last year as Buffalo's first line center, playing between Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville. The line dominated the League early on, each player on ~PPG pace for the first 20 or so games of the season. However, despite the hot start, at a point afterward, he hit a huge pointless streak and was moved down the lineup, seeing himself on the fourth line at times (the last place he belongs is in a bottom-six role) and was eventually demoted to Rochester for the rest of the year. In Rochester, he apparently struggled to play in and hold a center position, playing mostly LW for the rest of the season. The kid has the talent and has shown he can be a top-six NHL player but many debate whether he has the tools to be an NHL center and that he will more likely end up an NHL LW. However, with Buffalo's new center prospects and already having Ennis and Hodgson, Adam's chances of making the NHL with the Sabres seems to have lowered now and if he's going to make the NHL, it'll probably be with another team. We simply won't have room for him to make the team anymore.

Sorry for the long post guys, but I'm trying to give some knowledge before throwing out a random proposal and explaining why both teams would benefit. Usually, prospects are less well-known, so I tried to give a report on each so people would know who is who and why I came up with this idea.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:19 PM
broc

This Jets fan says yes .

broc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Spitsfan67*

I'd love to see Luke in a Jets Uniform....Personally I think he's worth a bit more then Cormier because I think he's built more For the NHL....

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:25 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Pretty fair trade.

The only reason I might not do it is because the Jets already have a lot of top six centers (Jokinen, Little, Burmistrov, Scheifele and Telegin) and really only Jim Slater in the bottom six. Cormier could fill a need next season as 3rd or 4th line center.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:26 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
I think I'd do it.

sully1410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:27 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Pretty fair trade.

The only reason I might not do it is because the Jets already have a lot of top six centers (Jokinen, Little, Burmistrov, Scheifele and Telegin) and really only Jim Slater in the bottom six. Cormier could fill a need next season as 3rd or 4th line center.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:28 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Why is that "help"?

Old
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

So far some positive replies by Jets fans. I'm waiting to hear a few of my fellow Sabres fans' thoughts as well but happy with the responses so far.

Old
08-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I don't know about Cormier but it doesn't seem smart to trade off a projected top 6 forward for a bottom 6 forward. Can he handle the defensive duties right now? Or would we put him in Rochester to develop.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Why is that "help"?
Burmistrov, Schiefele, and Telegin are not top 6 forwards.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It's an interesting idea.

08-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Nick Rash

I personally love it... if Adam cant stick with the big club and needs a year more in the AHL it will be in St.John's his home town, as for value I think Adam has more value maybe a 3rd or( B) D prospect

Nick Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

I do think Adam still has more overall value as well. I think Cormier's close though and he'd be valuable to us for addressing a need so I'd be willing to give up the small difference in value the two players have.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

I'd do it.Adam is a victim of the numbers game, with Ennis and Hodgson anchoring our top 2 scoring lines along with Grigorenko and Girgensons waiting in the wings there is absolutely no long term room for Adam at Center...in fact Ennis will probably be moved back to wing within 2-3 seasons, Grigorenko-Hodgson-Girgensons will be an amazing trio of centers and that will allow Ennis to take the #1 LW spot.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:51 PM
tsujimoto74

Whether or not I'd do this depends on whether or not Cormier is NHL ready. Can some Jets fans provide some insight here?
(ie: Do you think Cormier could handle a defensive/checking role in the NHL? If not this year, how long does it look like it'll take? How's his skating? Any offensive upside to speak of? Etc.)

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Djp

I dont see the benefit of this trade for Buffalo. Adam is still an asset worth trading to get somethign Buffalo needs ---not a player for a change of scenery.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Seanahue

I honestly have no idea. I had Cormier penciled in as our 4th line center and had him filling in on the 3rd line when necessary.

Hockey Futures has him listed as a 7.5 B and his stats have been ok.

I assume that Winnipeg would take this deal.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:24 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Your basing that on what exactly?

Old
08-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Your basing that on what exactly?
None of them are in any way top six centers yet. By the time Scheifele is ready to play top six, Jokinen will be either two years older or gone altogether. Same with Antropov. If in two years we have 23 year old Burmistrov and 21 year old Scheifele as our top two centers we will probably be in a world of hurt. The stars of the league would be eating our potential young studs for breakfast.

Adam is a guy who is top six or bust. Cormier is in a bit of a numbers game here as well with Antropov and Slater likely to center the bottom six. Our center depth is awful lol any potential top six with a track record of producing (even if only for a stretch) for a bottom six player is a risk worth taking. IMO of course.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:58 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Huh?

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:59 PM
RJQuack

Winnipeg does it, but I see more in Adam than Patrice imo

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Winnipeg does it, but I see more in Adam than Patrice imo
Different players for sure. Cormier is more of a Steve Ott lite ATM where as my impression of Adam was a playmaking center with size? Could be way off though I haven't seen Adam play.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:38 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Different players for sure. Cormier is more of a Steve Ott lite ATM where as my impression of Adam was a playmaking center with size? Could be way off though I haven't seen Adam play.
LOL no. at least, not yet. Stats wise, he was awesome the first 20 games, but it was mostly a result of thomas vanek and jason pominville playing out of their minds. He basically rode shotgun on that line and they got him a ton of easy points. Started sucking after that (wasn't able to keep contributing offensively), and he's charmin soft and useless on defense. Ruff moved him around the lineup, that didn't help much. He had a few decent games with zack kassian and leino IIRC and then sucked again. He went something like a month without a point. Got demoted back to Rochester and sucked there too. Hopefully he can turn it around, but he's most likely gonna be a winger if/when he makes it to the NHL, he's not quick enough on his feet and lacks the hockey sense (at least right now) to be a center. The really big issue with adam is, if he doesn't make it in the top 6, he's not gonna do your team any good. That could change, obviously, but based on what we saw last year, he can't hack it as a 3rd/4th line guy who can play on a grinding line or an energy line.
What's the book on Cormier?

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:41 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
I expect Cormier will be a good third-line center in a couple years and should be ready for fourth-line duties next year. He's got enough offense in him to be more than just a fourth-line plug, he's physical, he's a bit of an agitator and he seems to be solid on faceoffs. Having said that, I don't know any team that'd trade top-6 potential for bottom-6 potential so I can't see Buffalo doing this.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:42 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
None of them are in any way top six centers yet. By the time Scheifele is ready to play top six, Jokinen will be either two years older or gone altogether. Same with Antropov. If in two years we have 23 year old Burmistrov and 21 year old Scheifele as our top two centers we will probably be in a world of hurt. The stars of the league would be eating our potential young studs for breakfast.
I totally get that, but to me, like he didn't think our C prospects would make it to the top six.