HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Premier League 12/13 Thread

View Poll Results: Who will win the league?
Manchester City 18 39.13%
Manchester United 13 28.26%
Arsenal 8 17.39%
Chelsea 6 13.04%
Other (Please Specify) 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-09-2012, 12:32 AM
RoryDelap
TouchlineBombardment

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Wasp View Post
Drum roll, fanfare, ballet dancers sashay down the red carpet scattering rose petals, another fanfare. The national anthem of Freedonia strikes up.

With that, I may safely make my Premier League 2012/13 predictions.

Well, not safely at all as it happens. Its interesting how the richer clubs become, the more games of tedious brinkmanship in the transfer market we have to endure before everyone puts key pieces to their jigsaw in place. Conceding that the balance of some teams may change radically by 1st September and utterly undermine the premise on which these forecasts are made, here goes.

1. Manchester City
2. Manchester United
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Liverpool
6. Everton
7. Tottenham Hotspur (5th if they sign a top-class striker and reinforce their midfield)
8. Newcastle United (10th if the timebomb in Ashley's brain detonates or Coloccini misses a lot of games)
9. Aston Villa
10. Queen's Park Rangers
11. Fulham (swap with the rabble in 12th if Dempsey leaves)
12. sunderland
13. Bolton Ham United (with a change of manager along the way, I hope).
14. Coventry Wigan
15. Swansea City
16. Southampton
17. Stoke City
18. Norwich City
19. West Bromwich Albion (14th if it turns out that everyone in English football is an idiot except the Baggies board and Steve Clarke can manage, or Clarke gets canned early enough for a proper manager to take his place).
20. Reading

I think the top six will all improve upon their points tallies of last season and eleven teams will finish with less than 50 points, leaving so many teams bunched close together that one or two rogue results will leave my beautiful predictions in tatters.
Villa 9th and Liverpool 5th. I want some of what you're smoking.

RoryDelap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
Villa 9th and Liverpool 5th. I want some of what you're smoking.
Even if you got your hands on it, it still wouldn't make you as handsome and intelligent as me...

But to give your post more respect than it arguably deserves, I think Paul Lambert is a talented manager and Darren Bent is the sort of prolific scorer who can help mask deficiencies in other departments of his team.

Fifth place requires a 60-66 point haul. Liverpool have reached that tally more often than not in recent seasons. Changing manager and style will require a period of adjustment, but I think they'll be strong in 2013.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 07:22 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
****ing Southampton

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 08:42 AM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Add Coloccini and Krul to the list of International Break casualties. Hopefully their injuries are not bad enough to keep them from the Everton match on Monday.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 05:48 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Wrighty speaks the truth.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Brodie
voted best

Andy Johnson out for the season... sigh

at least the Mittal family has reaffirmed their commitment to the club

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 07:03 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
I'll stick this here. I know it was a CL game, but it relates to a discussion in a PL thread awhile back, can't remember what we it was in.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...onsent?cc=5901

As I said then, Fergie doesn't actually manage...

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Must say, Aguero said what's true. Foreign players do get a harder sell. SAF's just reinforcing the stereotypes and bias today with his comments.

It's no coincidence that the FA thinks this way, with United's guy on the board, and much of them just muppets of the big clubs.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:04 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Must say, Aguero said what's true. Foreign players do get a harder sell. SAF's just reinforcing the stereotypes and bias today with his comments.

It's no coincidence that the FA thinks this way, with United's guy on the board, and much of them just muppets of the big clubs.
To be fair, they are both right. A lot of foreign players get some tough calls, but you can't deny that a lot of the "divers" in the league are foreigners. English players do it too, that's for sure.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

He must not watch Ashley Young it seems.

I agree that there are many foreign divers. Just like there are many English. Gerrard's notorious for flopping to sell a call. Rooney too.

It's ludicrous to suggest that it's mainly foreigners and that the bastion of football (English players) never do it.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Luiginho
Captain Saku

For those who dont know Leeds United will be sold to a middle eastern rich dude.

You think Leeds will be the next Man City? Or at least relevant again in the EPL?

Luiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:58 AM
Stray Wasp

In the short term, Leeds will have trouble enough winning promotion. When it comes to acquiring talent, there's a big difference between being a Premier League club with money to burn and a second tier club, so for now their wealth will prove of limited benefit. Furthermore, Blackburn and Forest have similarly vast spending power. Three very rich clubs jockeying for three EPL places; not much room for error and there's the risk of overpaying badly for 'tweener players.

I expect Leeds to reach the EPL sooner rather than later and establish themselves amongst that phalanx of clubs that can finish anywhere between fifth and about fourteenth, depending upon how the cards fall in any given season.

Where they might have an advantage is if their academy continues to be productive. For quantity and quality, Leeds have thrived at producing young players during the EPL era. Everyone is on the lookout for a wealthy owner, but if you can develop four or five players of first team quality through your own youth system, as Manchester United did with the Giggs / Scholes / Neville group, you can save 50-100 million of transfer fees in today's market, maybe more.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:20 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Ashley Cole what a tool

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Agger signs a new contract. Good.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:51 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

It's hard to take the FA seriously with its legacy of failure and disastrous mismanagement.

Terry is an ******* though, that much is certain. Kind of dumb to expect Ashley Cole to throw his teammate under the bus though.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:00 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Yeah but what he said was so stupid that he deleted it shortly after hoping no-one seen it and apologised later

He'll get a fine too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ry-report.html

Last edited by vsk92: 10-05-2012 at 01:31 PM.
vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Luiginho
Captain Saku

Thanks to twitter it has confirmed to us all that sports athletes are not that bright after all.

Luiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:41 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

It doesn't help that when Ashley Cole talks, he says "I fink" instead of "I think".

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
gary69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Thanks to twitter it has confirmed to us all that sports athletes are not that bright after all.
Though that has been evident regarding most of them for decades, yep, Rio Ferdinand must be one of the stupidest sports people "educated" in the western world during the past few decades.

He even publicly declares that skin colour affects the way human brain works, i.e. the way people think and talk (e.g . the ch** ic* comment), can't be much more racist than that.

gary69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:56 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Anfield to be redeveloped as a 60,000 seat stadium. There are still a lot of things that need to be done before it can take place, like knocking down vacant houses near the ground.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19935925

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

The Right to Light will probably hold up some.

But it's the correct decision. The problem is, they probably won't break ground on any plan until 2014. Which is basically another year and a half off. Which could mean delays and the like. It's a good announcement, and solves some problems, but until there's major construction and actual solutions to some of the redevelopment that has to be part of the project, I'm a bit less optimistic.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:09 AM
RoryDelap
TouchlineBombardment

Quote:
Even if you got your hands on it, it still wouldn't make you as handsome and intelligent as me...

But to give your post more respect than it arguably deserves, I think Paul Lambert is a talented manager and Darren Bent is the sort of prolific scorer who can help mask deficiencies in other departments of his team.

Fifth place requires a 60-66 point haul. Liverpool have reached that tally more often than not in recent seasons. Changing manager and style will require a period of adjustment, but I think they'll be strong in 2013.
Liverpool in the basement, Villa in the basement.

Both look dreadful. Bent is on the move. Liverpool have 1 striker.

Yeah, my post sure was ridiculous. Still think Liverpool will finish 5th and Villa inside the top 10? You're high.

RoryDelap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
Liverpool in the basement, Villa in the basement.

Both look dreadful. Bent is on the move. Liverpool have 1 striker.

Yeah, my post sure was ridiculous. Still think Liverpool will finish 5th and Villa inside the top 10? You're high.
Or not so quick to leap to judgement as others, take your pick. As Everton fans have found time and again, a bad first quarter to the season does not provide a definitive verdict on a team. Especially in a league where there is so much mediocrity separated by so little.

There I go again, giving maladorous posts undue attention. A habit I must rid myself of...

Old
10-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Or not so quick to leap to judgement as others, take your pick. As Everton fans have found time and again, a bad first quarter to the season does not provide a definitive verdict on a team. Especially in a league where there is so much mediocrity separated by so little.

There I go again, giving maladorous posts undue attention. A habit I must rid myself of...
How dare you be patient, for Steve Clarke should be anointed next in line for the Manchester United job immediately with his results over these glorious seven total matches.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:22 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
How dare you be patient, for Steve Clarke should be anointed next in line for the Manchester United job immediately with his results over these glorious seven total matches.
I am hanging my head in shame.