HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Projected Standings: West (8)

View Poll Results: Who will be eighth in the West?
Anaheim Ducks 3 5.17%
Calgary Flames 3 5.17%
Columbus Blue Jackets 0 0%
Dallas Stars 15 25.86%
Edmonton Oilers 7 12.07%
Nashville Predators 24 41.38%
Phoenix Coyotes 6 10.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 500
Projected Standings: West (8)

#1: Vancouver Canucks - 59.15%
#2: Los Angeles Kings - 50.77%
#3: St. Louis Blues - 62.50%
#4: Chicago Blackhawks - 50.85%
#5: San Jose Sharks - 38.46%
#6: Detriot Red Wings - 37.04%
#7: Minnesota Wild - 42.22%

I'll be off the grid for a while, so the next poll may not be for another week.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:10 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Wild at 7? Yep this is definitely the Canucks board.

08-13-2012, 12:13 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
You have them higher?

They were the absolute worst team in the league down the stretch last year, they've made two big additions.

They'll be improved, but I don't see them being a top 4 team...just speaks to the depth/parity in the West IMO.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Todds Chiropractory

vCash: 50
Dallas will surprise a lot of people this year. I have them competing with LA for the division.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:25 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You have them higher?
5th or 6th imo. That's what the neutral poll board came up with too.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:29 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

Nashville three in a row

ihaveyuidonttouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Havre

Quote:
So therefore you thought 7th was so outrageous that you had to point out his being "the Canucks board"? Strange.

Only very poor teams left now in my opinion. The Panthers are 12th in the East. Could very well be a better team than whatever gets the 8th in the West.

I'll got with the Flames. I just can't get myself to vote for a team where Loui Eriksson is their best player. Not that he is a bad player, but really not good enough to lead a team.

Havre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Babs

The Oilers are going to surprise people this year, and it should be said that I hate the Oilers as much as any team in the league.

Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:05 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
The Oilers are going to surprise people this year, and it should be said that I hate the Oilers as much as any team in the league.
Anywhere from 9-11th spot would be a big surprise for me

ihaveyuidonttouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
I don't see the Oilers making the playoffs for another year or two.
Their defense and goaltending isn't good enough.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:22 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Nashville.

Was Suter the difference from them finishing 5th overall to now people having them drop out of the playoffs?

I don't think so... Their young guys are another yr experienced... Too good in goal and behind the bench.

I see em as 2nd in their division... so definitely higher than the 8th spot we're voting on...

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Kip96

I think Dallas and Colorado have better shots at the playoffs than Detroit at this point.

Life after Lidstrom is going to be tough

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:34 PM
aandbreatheme

Nashville; they should be above Minnesota in my opinion.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Kip96

Quote:
It must be the Canucks board because Colorado isn't even in the poll

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Havre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Nashville.

Was Suter the difference from them finishing 5th overall to now people having them drop out of the playoffs?

I don't think so... Their young guys are another yr experienced... Too good in goal and behind the bench.

I see em as 2nd in their division... so definitely higher than the 8th spot we're voting on...
I see your point. I do think they will miss Suter a lot though. It inject confidence into the whole team when you got a sensational pairing like Weber and Suter. So they won't only miss Suter as an individual player in my opinion - they'll miss having that D pairing that can bail them out both when they are looking for goals and when they need to defend a lead.

I think Suter will be the crack that will make the whole thing fall apart.

Well - being a bit dramatic of course. Don't think there is a lot between Calgary, Nashville, Dallas etc. who knows when the youngsters at Edmonton all turn into all stars?

Havre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You have them higher?

They were the absolute worst team in the league down the stretch last year, they've made two big additions.

They'll be improved, but I don't see them being a top 4 team...just speaks to the depth/parity in the West IMO.
Mikko Koivu's injury had something to do with their performance down the stretch too. They added a legit #1 D-man who was 5th in Preds scoring and a 70 pt top line forward that was a key part of NJ's cup appearance. They already have a good starter and back-up. I think that we'll see Rinne's stats slip, and Backstrom's will improve. 4th - 6th isn't out of the question. I agree with parabola, a bit of division rivalry bias crept in to their 7th place ranking.

Quote:
Nashville.

Nashville lost their 5th leading scorer in Suter. Having two #1 D-men helped to paper over their offensive problems. Offense from D-men was key for that team, now where is the offense going to come from? I think Weber will struggle to replicate his previous numbers without a solid partner. They will be in tough to make the playoffs unless they overhaul their forward core.

Quote:
Dallas will surprise a lot of people this year. I have them competing with LA for the division.
I see a three way fight between Dallas, San Jose and LA for the Pacific. I think SJ takes the division, and LA, Dallas will be competing for the last two playoff spots.

I also think that Detroit drops out of the playoffs altogether. Their long string of playoff appearances will be coming to an end with no Lidstrom to bail out their below average goaltending.

Dallas will push for 8th, the additions of Jagr and Whitney will improve their offense. The Stars are better than the Flames and Nashville will slide back, but these poll results aren't really in touch with reality anyway. LA is over-rated because of the playoffs, the Blues are underrated because of their flame-out in the 2nd round. I have the Wild higher, and Detroit missing altogether.

I'm voting Nashville for 8th, because I think they'll ride a low-scoring system into the playoffs, but they are a much weaker team without Suter, there is no disputing that.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Well, you never know. Personally, I got them at 6 and San Jose is lower.

And good call on this one. I picked Dallas, but Nashville is also a very good call. I could see them doing just as well as last year.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:20 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Mikko Koivu's injury had something to do with their performance down the stretch too. They added a legit #1 D-man who was 5th in Preds scoring and a 70 pt top line forward that was a key part of NJ's cup appearance. They already have a good starter and back-up. I think that we'll see Rinne's stats slip, and Backstrom's will improve. 4th - 6th isn't out of the question. I agree with parabola, a bit of division rivalry bias crept in to their 7th place ranking.

Nashville lost their 5th leading scorer in Suter. Having two #1 D-men helped to paper over their offensive problems. Offense from D-men was key for that team, now where is the offense going to come from? I think Weber will struggle to replicate his previous numbers without a solid partner. They will be in tough to make the playoffs unless they overhaul their forward core.

I see a three way fight between Dallas, San Jose and LA for the Pacific. I think SJ takes the division, and LA, Dallas will be competing for the last two playoff spots.

I also think that Detroit drops out of the playoffs altogether. Their long string of playoff appearances will be coming to an end with no Lidstrom to bail out their below average goaltending.

Dallas will push for 8th, the additions of Jagr and Whitney will improve their offense. The Stars are better than the Flames and Nashville will slide back, but these poll results aren't really in touch with reality anyway. LA is over-rated because of the playoffs, the Blues are underrated because of their flame-out in the 2nd round. I have the Wild higher, and Detroit missing altogether.

I'm voting Nashville for 8th, because I think they'll ride a low-scoring system into the playoffs, but they are a much weaker team without Suter, there is no disputing that.
But Suter's play won't slip without Weber?

Nashville doesn't have the marquee, but I like their team better than Minnesota's even with their high end additions.

That team already has great defensive structure and scored in the top 10 of the league last year Im pretty sure....Trotz will have those guys ready.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Canucksfolife

Quote:
Minnesota is where they should be, 7th, maybe 8th, nothing higher. Landing Parise and Suter will help, but how much? They have no depth behind Suter on defence. Stoner?? Scandella? Gilbert?? I'd rather not have a top defenceman like Suter, and have a complete solid defence like the Canucks over Minnesota's 1 man show on defence. This team is starting to remind me of the Capitals, 1 star d-man, and 3 elite forwards. Minnesota will have to win games 5-4, 6-5, dont see that defence of their shutting down teams with lots of depth, like Vancouver.

Canucksfolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:06 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Whatever happened to PHX?

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:11 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
If they lose Doan, I see them finishing last place. Can't see Smith continuing his play at the same level as last season. Simply just a worse team this year.

CCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:27 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
If they lose Doan, I see them finishing last place. Can't see Smith continuing his play at the same level as last season. Simply just a worse team this year.
But how do we know that Smith isn't also 'a product of the system' like people were saying Elliot was? You would think Tippett's system provides some sort of safety net if he regresses, and their team hasn't lost too many pieces aside from Whitney thus far. They also got Z. Michalek back from the Pens, and Doan isn't gone just yet. Perhaps they might fall out of the playoff picture if he goes elsewhere but I can also see them just squeezing into the last spot due to Tippett's coaching. I dunno about their scoring though...

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:31 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

I have Phoenix in 7th and Nashville in 8th. Wild finish 9th.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:39 AM
ubiquitous
More like Shredder

Quote:
Lol I can't believe you're one of the 'ooh shiny!' people too. Wild's depth is lousy, Backstrom is overrated. Adding Parise and Suter will most likely get them contending for a playoff spot, not much more.

And where is Colorado on this poll? Lol.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
They lost their top scorer, and could lose their captain and 3rd best scorer.
As we know Phoenix isn't that great offensively, so if they lose two of their top 3 scorers from last season, they're screwed.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote