HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Is anyone getting a little sick of the "This is a sport?" Type comments?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-11-2012, 10:10 PM
  #1
DeflatedFootball7
Registered User
 
DeflatedFootball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Belleville
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,215
vCash: 500
Is anyone getting a little sick of the "This is a sport?" Type comments?

I've lost track of the amount of insults being thrown around at athletes that are "inferior" because of their chosen sport. Guatemala wins it's first medal and the guy is bashed because it's in racewalking. Seriously? Go speed walk for 20 kilometers without stopping or breaking into a run. See how you do.

Worse still, I've even seen Canadians bashing Rosie MacLennan, because apparently it's embarrassing to the country that she won our only gold in trampoline.

This seems to be a big thing this year as opposed to previous years. I didn't see much of this in Beijing so what happened this year that mad everyone such a huge bunch of fool about it?

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:16 PM
  #2
Tommy Torini
Hell of a thing baby
 
Tommy Torini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,701
vCash: 500
I respect what all the athletes have done in their respective events and all the training they went through. Takes a high amount of dedication to get where they are.

However, I still can't believe that ribbon dancing and synchronized ball tossing (don't care about what the legitimate names for these events are) are actual events. Seems more like something you'd see at a dance hall or something.

Tommy Torini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:41 PM
  #3
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 51,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
I respect what all the athletes have done in their respective events and all the training they went through. Takes a high amount of dedication to get where they are.

However, I still can't believe that ribbon dancing and synchronized ball tossing (don't care about what the legitimate names for these events are) are actual events. Seems more like something you'd see at a dance hall or something.
Same with Dressage. More pageantry than sport.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:11 AM
  #4
nutbar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I've lost track of the amount of insults being thrown around at athletes that are "inferior" because of their chosen sport. Guatemala wins it's first medal and the guy is bashed because it's in racewalking. Seriously? Go speed walk for 20 kilometers without stopping or breaking into a run. See how you do.

Worse still, I've even seen Canadians bashing Rosie MacLennan, because apparently it's embarrassing to the country that she won our only gold in trampoline.

This seems to be a big thing this year as opposed to previous years. I didn't see much of this in Beijing so what happened this year that mad everyone such a huge bunch of fool about it?
Not to bash anyone, but I'd rather see Canada win a handful of more medals in the 'marquee sports' (i.e. Track, Swimming, Basketball, Boxing...you know the sports we suck at) than to win a lot more in somewhat minor sports.


Last edited by nutbar: 08-12-2012 at 12:17 AM.
nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:27 AM
  #5
thrillhouse99
Registered User
 
thrillhouse99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
Not to bash anyone, but I'd rather see Canada win a handful of more medals in the 'marquee sports' (i.e. Track, Swimming, Basketball, Boxing...you know the sports we suck at) than to win a lot more in somewhat minor sports.
We've won in track and boxing before.

Well, Jamaican immigrants who live here have won at track and boxing, that counts right?

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:03 AM
  #6
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
We've won in track and boxing before.

Well, Jamaican immigrants who live here have won at track and boxing, that counts right?
People don't have to be born here to be Canadian you know?

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:13 AM
  #7
thrillhouse99
Registered User
 
thrillhouse99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
People don't have to be born here to be Canadian you know?
Sarcasm

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:51 AM
  #8
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: United States
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I've lost track of the amount of insults being thrown around at athletes that are "inferior" because of their chosen sport. Guatemala wins it's first medal and the guy is bashed because it's in racewalking. Seriously? Go speed walk for 20 kilometers without stopping or breaking into a run. See how you do.

Worse still, I've even seen Canadians bashing Rosie MacLennan, because apparently it's embarrassing to the country that she won our only gold in trampoline.

This seems to be a big thing this year as opposed to previous years. I didn't see much of this in Beijing so what happened this year that mad everyone such a huge bunch of fool about it?

Every Gold is worth the same.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:49 AM
  #9
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
It is pretty funny indeed considering how hockey is a marginal sport globally.


Last edited by BobDobolina: 08-12-2012 at 08:54 AM.
BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:57 AM
  #10
His Beardliness*
#SireBabcock
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
It is pretty funny indeed considering how hockey is a marginal sport globally.
Yes, even more humorous when uttered by an A. football fan.

His Beardliness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:07 AM
  #11
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
Yes, even more humorous when uttered by an A. football fan.
Who would that be?

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:30 AM
  #12
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The lunatic fridge
Country: Finland
Posts: 50,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post

Every Gold is worth the same.
What is this "gold" you speak of?

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:52 AM
  #13
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 8,110
vCash: 500
equestrian, fencing, shooting, archery, diving, yeah not sports : )

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:51 AM
  #14
DoyleG
Mr. Reality
 
DoyleG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: YEG--->YYJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I've lost track of the amount of insults being thrown around at athletes that are "inferior" because of their chosen sport. Guatemala wins it's first medal and the guy is bashed because it's in racewalking. Seriously? Go speed walk for 20 kilometers without stopping or breaking into a run. See how you do.
Looking at the Russian who won the 50km race walk, he would be doing just under 14km/h. That's a rate people would have trouble keeping at a run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Worse still, I've even seen Canadians bashing Rosie MacLennan, because apparently it's embarrassing to the country that she won our only gold in trampoline.

This seems to be a big thing this year as opposed to previous years. I didn't see much of this in Beijing so what happened this year that mad everyone such a huge bunch of fool about it?
Simple, more people paying attention now to the Olympics.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:00 AM
  #15
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: United States
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
What is this "gold" you speak of?
Hey, I'm just going by the fables my grandfather told me

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:01 AM
  #16
BMann
Registered User
 
BMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Watford
Country: England
Posts: 1,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I've lost track of the amount of insults being thrown around at athletes that are "inferior" because of their chosen sport. Guatemala wins it's first medal and the guy is bashed because it's in racewalking. Seriously? Go speed walk for 20 kilometers without stopping or breaking into a run. See how you do.

Worse still, I've even seen Canadians bashing Rosie MacLennan, because apparently it's embarrassing to the country that she won our only gold in trampoline.

This seems to be a big thing this year as opposed to previous years. I didn't see much of this in Beijing so what happened this year that mad everyone such a huge bunch of fool about it?
It is embarrassing and reflects more on the people making the comments. Diving ? The impact these competitors suffer each time they hit the water would make anyone flinch let alone doing it from some forty feet above the water surface.

After all one could make the same point about any sport. What is the point of kicking a bag of air around and trying to hit it in between two points or smacking a piece of vulcanized rubber between two metal pipes ?

All sports are equal in my eyes in terms of the physical, mental preperation and dedication required to suceed in them.

The Olympics would be far poorer without these sports which add grace and beauty, sheer strength and other atttributes.

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:06 AM
  #17
mightyquack
Moderator
You're the man Teemu
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
I respect what all the athletes have done in their respective events and all the training they went through. Takes a high amount of dedication to get where they are.

However, I still can't believe that ribbon dancing and synchronized ball tossing (don't care about what the legitimate names for these events are) are actual events. Seems more like something you'd see at a dance hall or something.
This.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:13 AM
  #18
BMann
Registered User
 
BMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Watford
Country: England
Posts: 1,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
This.
Well what is any sport ? You could apply your argument to any sporting discipline.

What exactly is the purpose of running over hurdles or throwing a round ball of metal ?

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:14 AM
  #19
mightyquack
Moderator
You're the man Teemu
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by takharov View Post
Well what is any sport ? You could apply your argument to any sporting discipline.

What exactly is the purpose of running over hurdles or throwing a round ball of metal ?
Did you read the post I quoted? The 'sports' are right there.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.