General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Biggest disappointment?

Old
08-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Eisen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
Huh? The fact that he got injured is why it was disappointing, just like Beijing.
Indeed: I felt for him. He seems to have an Olympic curse.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:01 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Huh? The fact that he got injured is why it was disappointing, just like Beijing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Indeed: I felt for him. He seems to have an Olympic curse.
He was already injured, just like in Beijing, where he couldn't even start. His achilles tendon was in bad shape and it finally gave out in the race.

BobDobolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Well if Liu is a disappointment then I guess Gay is as well. Second fastest man ever and still no individual medals, again struggling with injury.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:05 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Well if Liu is a disappointment then I guess Gay is as well. Second fastest man ever and still no individual medals, again struggling with injury.
That reminds me, Asafa Powell once again. Worst record in finals for a runner of his caliber ever?

BobDobolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
He was already injured, just like in Beijing, where he couldn't even start. His achilles tendon was in bad shape and it finally gave out in the race.
Do you have a link? Not that I don't believe you, but I haven't heard anything about him being injured leading up to the games. He was probably in his best form since Beijing.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:08 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Biggest disappointment? Probably performance of Czech women basketball team... (although I was probably disappointed by the display of women basketball itself ) In most of their games they didn't seem to even try, lost an already won game (quarter finals) and semt very off colour... I was also very disappointed (more sad than disappointed actually) when Asafa Powell got injured and I couldn't see him perform at his best in either 100m finals nor in 4*100m relay (where he was absent, naturally).

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
That reminds me, Asafa Powell once again. Worst record in finals for a runner of his caliber ever?
Yeah, another good call there.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:16 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBertho View Post
Leave it to Krishna to start a troll thread just to bash Canada.

Unreal the stuff he/she gets away with.
Yeah, no kidding.

I don't think Canada was a massive disappointment - the lack of gold medals certainly was...but overall we did the same as Beijing #-wise. We need to produce more in swimming and rowing...those two sports would have been my biggest disappointment as far as Canada goes. I was also disappointed there weren't many "break out" performances by younger Canadian athletes...that leaves me a little concerned about Rio.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Do you have a link? Not that I don't believe you, but I haven't heard anything about him being injured leading up to the games. He was probably in his best form since Beijing.
I only have German links, but he has chronic problems with his achilles tendon and they were aggravating just before the Olympics.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

Quote:
And then his achilles tendon broke. Disappointment??? You can't control your body on that, come on now...

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Pistorius fought for and finally won the right to compete.

I guess it's not the "biggest" disappointment, but I still don't think he belongs in these games.

Should've stayed in the Paralympics, instead of being the sideshow of these Olympics.

08-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
And then his achilles tendon broke. Disappointment??? You can't control your body on that, come on now...
Not disappointed because he failed to deliver, but because again he didn't have the chance because of an injury, just like in Beijing. I'm sure he was really disappointed.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
I only have German links, but he has chronic problems with his achilles tendon and they were aggravating just before the Olympics.
Yeah, I know he's had a history of problems with his achilles, but he appeared to be in good shape leading into the games. Hell of a time for that to flare up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't think you know what the word "disappointment" means...

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:23 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

The biggest disappointment easily has to be the Ethiopian men's marathon runners. None of them even finished today. That's unheard of. Long distance running is their national sport, and marathon is the biggest event. It's the one that really counts.

His Beardliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:24 PM
zorz

Disappointment for me is that Czechs are so weak in sports I like to watch like gymnastics or wrestling, but I knew that already before the olympics started.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I'm sure the only thing Canada will be disappointed with is the color of some of the medals but not the total amount of medals which was an expected total. Although, I'm sure there are/were some unwarranted expectations due to their success in the Vancouver games but Canada spent a TON of money on their athletes for the cycle heading into Vancouver and obviously Canada is better suited for success in the Winter Olympics anyway.
That TON of money is relative. Canadian athletes did received more money for Vancouver, but that's compared to previous Olympics. Compared to other countries, our athletes' funding isn't anything extraordinary. It's even considered modest if you look at what other athletes from developed countries receive.

Here are some ideas how much Canadian athletes receive funding whether from the government or private compared to a couple other countries:

Australia boosts elite sports funding
Elite Athlete Funding Secured
Olympic success? Canada's medal haul heavy on bronze

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

Quote:
Not disappointed because he failed to deliver, but because again he didn't have the chance because of an injury, just like in Beijing. I'm sure he was really disappointed.
That's a good way to see it, but still...

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't think you know what the word "disappointment" means...
Disappointing he couldn't compete, okay. Liu a disappointment NO.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:48 PM
invictus

Quote:
Is there really a huge difference between one and three that we need to label it a disappointment when they matched the total overall medals won in Beijing?
I guess my question would be about the amount of money Canada put into sports from then to now? If it was a similar level, then I think it isn't a disappointment at all to get the same number of medals and change the colors of them a bit.

But, if the amount of money went up a lot from Beijing to now, then I'd say it is should probably be seen as a disappointment.

So, in my opinion, it is either not a disappointment at all, or a small disappointment, depending on the money situation.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Is there really a huge difference between one and three that we need to label it a disappointment when they matched the total overall medals won in Beijing?
It's a huge difference in the *official* medal counts that the majority of the world follow. Two gold medals more can boost our ranking up to 10 places higher. We were 19th in Beijing, now we're 35th.

The biggest disappointment IMO at these Olympics is Australia, mostly their swimming team. Despite being well funded and having lots of hype in swimming, their ranking took a steep dive.

Last edited by Canuck21t: 08-12-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Phillips Idowu was massively dissapointing.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:19 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 338
I don't know if it was a disappointment or just a little too much over-hype but Jordyn Wieber. Granted, she helped win the Team competition, and she got screwed on the AA, but on the Floor exercise, she had the opportunity to prove she deserved a medal and couldn't even get on the stand. For someone to win the World Championships to come to the Olympics and have that kind of showing, yeah that is disappointing.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
It's a huge difference in the *official* medal counts that the majority of the world follow. Two gold medals more can boost our ranking up to 10 places higher. We were 19th in Beijing, now we're 35th.

The biggest disappointment IMO at these Olympics is Australia, mostly their swimming team. Despite being well funded and having lots of hype in swimming, their ranking took a steep dive.
That's a pretty vacuous difference when you are that far down the medal table though. It makes more sense to rank for golds at the top of the table because then you are seeing who are winning most of the events, but once it's down to countries with 1-3 gold medals a 10 position difference is kind of like finishing 16th rather than 26th in voting for an NHL award because you got an extra 5th place vote.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If I had something against canada, I would have named any of the soccer players not named Sinclair as the most disappointing athlete. Like another poster posted, the 1 gold medal is the least for canada since 1976.
of course, bronze is terrible for a nation like canada

as for most disappointing, german swimmers.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:43 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
For all the people using population as an excuse for their performance, look at the Aussies who are disappointed with their medal count. That's the kind of attitude you need.
If you're referring to Canada, comparing only summer olympics medals between the 2 countries is misleading. Canada has to allocate resources between both the summer and winter Olympics..Australia..not so much. IF you took Canada's medal count from the 2010 Winter Olympics plus these Summer Olympics and compared it to Australia's medal count in those same 2 Olympics you would find Canada comes out ahead.

IF Canada was a warm country year round, rest assured, we would have medal counts similar to Australia in the summer Olympics. All the money for amateur athletes would go towards the summer games.

I will say that I'm slightly disappointed in Canada's final standings in these games. I expected a slight increase in both gold and the overall medal count (around 21-22) compared to the Beijing Games. The increased funding towards amateur athletes, which began in 2006, has now been inplace for 6 years. Considering we are 4 years removed from the 2008 games, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more from our athletes since that funding remains in place. More years of funding should mean more athletes are exposed to its benefits. That should mean better results over the long term, something that didn't happen for Canada at these Olympics.

One of the problems I noticed during these games is that Canada produced very few gold medal favorites. The only ones I can think of are van Kovoerden in kayaking(who won silver) and Pendrel in mountain biking (finished badly in 9th). It would be nice, going into the Rio games in 2016, for Canada to produce more than 5 gold medal favorites. That way, the disappointments that inevitably follow (as with every country) when some don 't do as well as anticipated, won't be so magnified.

I'll be interested in hearing Canada's chef de mission Mark Tewksbury's spin on this. He was put in that position because it was felt Canada was underperforming at the Summer Olympics. He predicted 22 medals for Canada and 4 or 5 golds. We come away from these Olympics with the same number of medals as Beijing but less gold. I think the media will put him on the hot seat, perhaps deservedly so.

Last edited by blueandgoldguy: 08-12-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: add,grammar
blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
The biggest disappointment easily has to be the Ethiopian men's marathon runners. None of them even finished today. That's unheard of. Long distance running is their national sport, and marathon is the biggest event. It's the one that really counts.
Ethiopia, along with Kenya to a somewhat lesser extent, made some real questionable selections with picking their team for the marathon. 2 of their runners were very inexperienced, with one of them only having ran 2 marathons previously. It was a tough course, too, with lots of sharp turns and some complete u-turns which really sucks.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote