HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

What changes could be made to the olympics?

Old
08-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

vCash: 500
What changes could be made to the olympics?

I was reading the "what sports could be added to the olympics?" thread and decided to start my own thread about possible changes people would like to see to the current olympic games. Here are a couple I have.

With the popularity of the Olympics, I am wondering if it make sense (financially or otherwise) to start running each olympics every two years. By this I mean having the summer olympics on even years and the winter olympics on odd years. Therefore every year there would be some sort of olympics happening. The reason I am wondering about the feasibility of this idea is because of the massive exposure that some sports receive over the olympics and never see again until another 4 years has passed. Having more frequent olympics would allow more sports to get exposure and in turn more athletes to get the funding required to compete. Furthermore it gives athletes more training motivation. 4 years is a long time to devote solely to training for guys like Phelps who are at the tail end of their careers or other people who are just on the cusp of making the olympics. Decreasing the wait time between game to two years would probably keep more people in their respective sports and increase the competitiveness of the games. The downside is that infrastructure would be expensive for all the new cities hosting the games and it would be much more difficult for these places to make money.

My other thought was on the Paralympic games. I think they should combine those events to be with the traditional olympics. It would increase exposure for the paralympic games and paralympic athletes and showcase what many of them have to offer. I think a lot of people could get on board with going to see wheelchair basketball and similar events when they are in the area and going to other olympic events anyway.

Lisa Needs Braces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 1963
Should not have sports which require a judge assigning a score (eg: gymnastics, synchronized swimming, etc). Partly because a lot of people don't view them as sports but mainly because even with a system, it leaves too much room for error and human judgement (yeah I know in soccer a ref will decide what is or isn't a hand ball but not the same thing).

Should include more team sports and less individual ones. So I'd be in favour of rugby (proper 13 or 15 man rugby not 7s), 20/20 cricket, etc.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:46 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Needs Braces View Post
I was reading the "what sports could be added to the olympics?" thread and decided to start my own thread about possible changes people would like to see to the current olympic games. Here are a couple I have.

With the popularity of the Olympics, I am wondering if it make sense (financially or otherwise) to start running each olympics every two years. By this I mean having the summer olympics on even years and the winter olympics on odd years. Therefore every year there would be some sort of olympics happening. The reason I am wondering about the feasibility of this idea is because of the massive exposure that some sports receive over the olympics and never see again until another 4 years has passed. Having more frequent olympics would allow more sports to get exposure and in turn more athletes to get the funding required to compete. Furthermore it gives athletes more training motivation. 4 years is a long time to devote solely to training for guys like Phelps who are at the tail end of their careers or other people who are just on the cusp of making the olympics. Decreasing the wait time between game to two years would probably keep more people in their respective sports and increase the competitiveness of the games. The downside is that infrastructure would be expensive for all the new cities hosting the games and it would be much more difficult for these places to make money.

My other thought was on the Paralympic games. I think they should combine those events to be with the traditional olympics. It would increase exposure for the paralympic games and paralympic athletes and showcase what many of them have to offer. I think a lot of people could get on board with going to see wheelchair basketball and similar events when they are in the area and going to other olympic events anyway.
Half of the reason why the Olympics are celebrated is because of how prestigious it is.. Every 2 years would ruin it.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:46 PM
His Beardliness*

No way. The four year span is what makes the olympics special.

Stop trying to change things, except wrestling. That's f-ed up.

His Beardliness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Half of the reason why the Olympics are celebrated is because of how prestigious it is.. Every 2 years would ruin it.
I agree. The rarity adds to the prestige.

Plus, the Olympics isn't the only event that these athletes train for anyway. There are World Championships and other major events that happen during the course of the year, it's just that the Olympics is the single biggest event for many of the sports.

You would probably have a very difficult time finding enough suitable host cities as well, unless you began to recycle them.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

USA vs World

to make it more fair

Last edited by Fire Lindy: 08-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Schalkenullvier*

get rid of all sports where the gold medal is not the most important title like soccer.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Kahuna Mallow
Keep it Mallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
USA vs World

to make it more fair
USA vs China vs World

\_(ツ)_/
Kahuna Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Henrik To Daniel

how about getting some good refs

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
It's been discussed here, but adding the paralympics just isn't feasible. A lot of the events use the same facility, which means to combine them you would need more facilities, and the games cost too much as it is.

Also, with having them every 2 years, the IOC already addressed that by moving the Winter Olympics up 2 years in 1994.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:34 PM
BlameUtley
When all else fails

vCash: 230
I dont like having it every two years. Swimming/other water sports and Track and Field have Championships every two years (as well having indoor championships in the other years), along with other events that have big events (wrestling, cycling). leave it at every 4 years.

BlameUtley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:35 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Quote:
USA vs World

to make it more fair
we have to find some way to handicap the US. We win so many medals it's not fair to the rest of the world.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Bring back baseball

Some of these sports are absolute jokes

Clearly an Anti-US bias the elimination of baseball ,, But it hurt other nations as well (Japan , Domincan Rep , etc)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Vamos Rafa

Allow pro boxers to compete already.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Dustin Peener
Choose life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
we have to find some way to handicap the US. We win so many medals it's not fair to the rest of the world.
They decided to handicap GB in cycling, I see no reason not to do it for swimming

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Ser Woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
USA vs China vs World
USA vs China vs Great Britain + Russia vs World.

Ser Woof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:59 PM
tuozzi

Quote:
USA vs World

to make it more fair
Are you this obnoxious in real life?

tuozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:03 PM
tuozzi

Quote:
Here's your handicap:
http://www.medalspercapita.com/#medals-per-capita:2012

tuozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:06 PM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750
I say add the Paralympics

I realize it would probably add a week and maybe a venue, but I have no problem with that. I always find the Olympics about a week short, and another venue would likely help the country in the future if they handle it right

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I say add the Paralympics

I realize it would probably add a week and maybe a venue, but I have no problem with that. I always find the Olympics about a week short, and another venue would likely help the country in the future if they handle it right
The olympics are expensive enough as it is without having to build more venues. I think for a change they should tone done the Olympics and not make it cost billions upon billions to host them.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Ser Woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
The olympics are expensive enough as it is without having to build more venues. I think for a change they should tone done the Olympics and not make it cost billions upon billions to host them.
How would they do that? Look what Russia is spending on the Winter games... twice as much as London for a much smaller Olympic games?

Infrastructure is the biggest cost and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Ser Woof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:16 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
How would they do that? Look what Russia is spending on the Winter games... twice as much as London?

Infrastructure is the biggest cost and I can't see that changing anytime soon.
They could spread out the sports to different cities across a country. Swimming in one city, Track events in another, etc. Just an idea.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
China just called, they want the money you owe them or your gold medals, your choice

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:45 PM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750
Btw for the Paralympic merger, the commonwealth games do it

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:43 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
They could spread out the sports to different cities across a country. Swimming in one city, Track events in another, etc. Just an idea.
Yet the costs would remain, and even be more unpopular.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote