HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 12:52 PM
stalockrox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
amazing opportunity for kuraly here
He's not doing much to take advantage of it...I'll watch the last 25 or so minutes of the game later but Kuraly has been pretty average. He's had a couple of shots/looks on the PP and won some puck battles but where I thought he'd bring value to this team is defensively and he hasn't been used at all on the PK.

I think the final forward cut will come down to Vesey, Kuraly and maybe Matteau. Vesey and Matteau have both had a couple good shifts.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Lebanezer

Why is Kuraly only playing on the PP in the game against Sweden?

He's getting regular shifts now in the 3rd, but in the 2nd he was being used almost exclusively on the PP.

Last edited by Lebanezer: 12-20-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 01:16 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
he's playing 5 on 5 too. he's just been unnoticeable.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:55 PM
magic school bus

kuraly gets the assist on the game-winning goal in overtime (faceoff win to gostisbehere slapshot)

Old
12-20-2012, 02:31 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
Why is Kuraly only playing on the PP in the game against Sweden?

He's getting regular shifts now in the 3rd, but in the 2nd he was being used almost exclusively on the PP.

The US sqaud is full of very good two way players and quite a few high end PKers including Trochek, Hartman, Pietila and Bardreau but I though Kuraly would get a bit more PK time...

Kuraly ended the game w/ 18:03 of ice time, 53.85% FO, +1 w/ 3 SOG.

Last edited by stalockrox: 12-20-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 07:26 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
The US sqaud is full of very good two way players and quite a few high end PKers including Trochek, Hartman, Pietila and Bardreau but I though Kuraly would get a bit more PK time...

Kuraly ended the game w/ 18:03 of ice time, 53.85% FO, +1 w/ 3 SOG.
That seems like a solid game and a decent amount of ice time just going off the stats but it sounds like he was pretty meh.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:19 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=648077
Blog of US-Sweden game

Old
12-21-2012, 09:34 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
That seems like a solid game and a decent amount of ice time just going off the stats but it sounds like he was pretty meh.
Don't get me wrong, Kuraly did have a solid game in some aspects (faceoffs, neutral and D zones) but he's on the bubble and when your coach slots you between the best player on the ice and another scorer I would imagine he wants to see what you can do in the offensive zone and he wasn't very good.

The US / Housley seems to have two of their lines set, one scoring line and the checking / shutdown line. So if Kuraly makes the team it isn't going to be for a purely defensive role, they will expect him to contribute on the scoreboard.

Seeing as 3 of the 4 guys I would consider on the bubble are wingers I would think one of them would be cut but a couple of the 'locks' are playing out of position and can play center so who knows.

Last edited by stalockrox: 12-21-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old
12-22-2012, 09:59 AM
stalockrox

Not sure if anyone got up to watch todays US vs Finland game but Kuraly was much better today. He was skating between Matteau and Biggs on what I'd assume is the 4th line, though he ended up with the 3rd highest TOI among forwards, and was used more on the PK where he was good.

I would think he's earned a spot on the final roster.

Last edited by stalockrox: 12-22-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old
12-22-2012, 10:48 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Yes, actually, I was up at 3am

Disappointed USA scored a goal which didn't count (no video review; bounced off back of net), and that they couldn't score more, but Kuraly looked very good out there.

BTW, the TSN guys are pronouncing his name "COR-awh-leh", but I thought it was pronounce "QUHR-awh-lee". Does anyone know the "correct" pronunciation?

Old
12-22-2012, 11:23 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/ne...le/show/205244
WJC exhibition game recap from this morning

Old
12-22-2012, 05:14 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I agree, after watching the game. Kuraly was one of if not the best US forward in that game. He has three or four solid scoring chances, played well on the PK, and really showed off his size, physicality, and skating. I'd say he's a lock.

Also, should our 1st end up in the middle of the round, I'd be in favor of selecting Arturri Lehkonen. Smallish kid, but also plays bigger than his size despite being really light. Great offensive instincts. I'm impressed.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:57 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Yes, actually, I was up at 3am

Disappointed USA scored a goal which didn't count (no video review; bounced off back of net), and that they couldn't score more, but Kuraly looked very good out there.

BTW, the TSN guys are pronouncing his name "COR-awh-leh", but I thought it was pronounce "QUHR-awh-lee". Does anyone know the "correct" pronunciation?
NHL guide & record book says "KUH-ra-lee", so I guess kind of like "crawly" with extra stress on the first syllable.

EDIT: BTW, I'm watching the replay of the US/Fin game on TSN right now and Gord Miller is very audibly saying "Kur-awh-lee", haven't heard a "cor-awh-leh" yet. Unless maybe it was Ferraro with the odd pronounciation.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 12-22-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old
12-23-2012, 12:36 AM
magic school bus

Kuraly being in the line-up today was a great sign for his chances of making the team. They pretty much iced the team you'd expect to see in the tournament, using this last pre-tournament game as a dress rehearsal. Kuraly played much better too so that should help as well.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:15 AM
stalockrox

Kuraly has made the team, Matteau (would have been my choice to head home) and Skjei were cut. The US is waiting for a medical report on Murphy and then will cut one more D.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:51 PM
magic school bus

Matteau getting cut is disappointing since he's supposed to be a talented player, but he's way too undisciplined. Can't have a wild card like that getting suspended and what-not (think: Boone Jenner on CAN) He played his way OFF this team.

Congrats to Kuraly. He really stepped up yesterday when he needed to.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Did anyone see the tuneup game the Czech played today? I can't find a lot on it. I'm curious if Hertl laced them up and how he looked.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fischer View Post
Did anyone see the tuneup game the Czech played today? I can't find a lot on it. I'm curious if Hertl laced them up and how he looked.
Hertl scored 1+1=2 in a 7-2 drubbing of Germany. I dunno how he looked.

Old
12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Too bad the NHLN sucks and the games are super early in the am to watch online. Oh well hockey sucks.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:27 AM
stalockrox

If anyone is up, the US is playing Germany on the NHLNetwork.
I won't post scoring but they have Kuraly centering Galchenyuk and Barber which could be a very good line.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
If anyone is up, the US is playing Germany on the NHLNetwork.
I won't post scoring but they have Kuraly centering Galchenyuk and Barber which could be a very good line.
I laugh when people get angry with folks posting updates for games. It's news, and if you don't want to read it, don't visit places that you know will be talking about the game.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:56 AM
stalockrox

Kuraly, Galchenyuk and Barber were dominant the entire game, granted it was against Germany but the trio showed some serious chemistry.

The Bardreau line was really good as well. The US's "top" line needs to get going as they still look a bit outta synch.

The game against Russia tomorrow should be a good one!

Old
12-27-2012, 08:18 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=412308
Kuraly and Team USA won't have to face Russia's Shalunov (suspended for cross check to face).

Old
12-27-2012, 09:34 PM
magic school bus

When they interviewed one of the US assistant coaches, he referred to the line as "Kuraly's line." [he said they were great if you're wondering about the full quote] I'm not sure if they're just really high on Kuraly (putting him with Galchenyuk) or if they're just completely sheltering AG from the media - putting him on the "second" line and giving other players letters instead. It's kinda funny seeing these coaches almost try to keep such a star player a secret (eventhough everyone knows who he is).

Old
12-28-2012, 12:46 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
When they interviewed one of the US assistant coaches, he referred to the line as "Kuraly's line." [he said they were great if you're wondering about the full quote] I'm not sure if they're just really high on Kuraly (putting him with Galchenyuk) or if they're just completely sheltering AG from the media - putting him on the "second" line and giving other players letters instead. It's kinda funny seeing these coaches almost try to keep such a star player a secret (eventhough everyone knows who he is).
USA Hockey posted interview video with Barber and Galchenyuk (and goalies, coach), but not Kuraly. Often the line is named after the center. Kuraly has been taking a lot of the draws (only recall seeing him lose one against Germans).

Closed Thread