HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
How has Stalberg looked this season? His stats in Worcester don't look very impressive.

Has he been improving, regressing or just getting used to Worcester?

02-14-2013, 05:29 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by cibtom View Post
Hertl two goals yesterday.
Overall 28 points in 37 games (17G+11A) in Czech league.
Very nice. I haven't had a chance to watch him recently (too early) but this kid continues to impress the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
This isn't specifically a Sharks prospect but BU / Parker has suspended sophomore Alexx Privitera for the rest of the season for "on ice" issues.

I have no idea what's going on at BU but that hockey program has been a complete mess recently. I wonder if not only Nieto is done after this season but if the org thinks of getting O'Regan out of there as well.
I would hope Nieto leaves school and comes to Worcester at the end of this season... O'Regan's a freshman and he won't turn 20 til next January, so I would bet that he stays in school for at least another year, probably two more considering his size, but I wouldn't mind moving him to the CHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
How has Stalberg looked this season? His stats in Worcester don't look very impressive.

He was really impressive at the beginning of the year, but he hasn't done much of anything since.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:43 PM

vCash: 500
Despite his age I think O'Regan would be able to play in the AHL because he was not drafted out of the CHL.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:44 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post

210 has mentioned this a couple of times but Stalberg, after starting the season very well, has more or less lost his confidence and is trying to do way too much on the ice.

He's played a bit better over the past few games but w/o consistent ice time he's going to have a hard time finding his game.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:55 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Despite his age I think O'Regan would be able to play in the AHL because he was not drafted out of the CHL.
Hmmm. You might be right, I'm not good with those rules. However, I have a hard time believing that he would leave college after only one year.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:03 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Hmmm. You might be right, I'm not good with those rules. However, I have a hard time believing that he would leave college after only one year.
Murray can home school him! Give him something useful to do

Old
02-14-2013, 06:08 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
I do too, but my comments weren't that he should go to the AHL, just out of the (what seems like a) toxic environment at BU.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:43 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Murray can home school him! Give him something useful to do
Teach him about Econ and beer taps.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:35 AM
stalockrox

Couple of Sharks prospects will be on TV today at 4:30pst - Norte Dame at Miami (Kuraly) on CBS Sports and BU (O'Regan & Nieto) at Maine on NBC Sports.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Kitten Mittons

Nieto just scored.

And Megan a second later. I wish we had drafted him too.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:06 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Yep. CHL players can't play in the AHL until they're 20 because they would still be eligible to play in the CHL until then (the rule was meant to ensure that CHL talent stays in jr to develop if they're not ready for the bigs yet). Since NCAA players forfeit their college eligibility the minute they sign a pro contract, they can stay in the AHL before 20 years old because they've got nowhere else to go.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 02-15-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old
02-17-2013, 01:18 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Kuraly (Miami) on right now (CSNCA) playing outdoors (@Solider Field) vs Notre Dame.

(Replay 9am Monday)

Old
02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

3rd period starting soon. 1 goal scored, still anyone's game.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:02 PM
DrunkElkCZ

vCash: 377
Tomas Hertl will probably play a whole next season in Slavia according to the article below (in Czech).

http://hokej.idnes.cz/ruzicka-slavia...5841_hokej_elv

Rough translation of the part about Tomas (said by V. Ruzicka):
Quote:
"I will not let Tomas go, he still has one year on his contract here. I discussed it with him, his parents and his agent. He still need to ripen, mainly tactically. There is no need to rush. Here he'll have chance to play and TOI, he would had nowhere else.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Kitten Mittons

Meh, that's fine. We're notorious for rushing skilled players and turning them into mediocre 3rd liners.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:17 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Meh, that's fine. We're notorious for rushing skilled players and turning them into mediocre 3rd liners.
Um, what?

Not surprised Hertl might spend next season at home. Was hoping he'd play in the AHL but he is still under contract with Slavia.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:26 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkElkCZ View Post
Tomas Hertl will probably play a whole next season in Slavia according to the article below (in Czech).

http://hokej.idnes.cz/ruzicka-slavia...5841_hokej_elv

Rough translation of the part about Tomas (said by V. Ruzicka):
So, that means he could be heading to North America when he's 20.

If he's more impactful, it's worth the wait.

Hopefully, he has a chance to participate in the Sharks prospect summer camps, to get to know the organization, he potential team mates.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:40 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
This isn't pre-2005 lockout, where teams had players until they were 31. So the faster you can get them contributing, the more you get out of them.

Also, in general, getting NHL ice time is the best way to develop. AHL play might be better than getting <10 minutes on the 4th line, but a prospect will generally be better off getting 10-20 minutes a night in the NHL, mistakes and all, than he will playing in a lesser league.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
This isn't pre-2005 lockout, where teams had players until they were 31. So the faster you can get them contributing, the more you get out of them.

Also, in general, getting NHL ice time is the best way to develop. AHL play might be better than getting <10 minutes on the 4th line, but a prospect will generally be better off getting 10-20 minutes a night in the NHL, mistakes and all, than he will playing in a lesser league.
Yeah but no Sharks prospect will be getting more than 10 minutes on the team. They'll be put on the 4th line to grind their way into becoming a superstar. It makes no sense, so they are better off playing in the AHL.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:48 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

He's not going to the AHL, that's for certain. It's always been either the NHL or the Czech Extraliiga for him. I guess he's made a choice, so be it.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:53 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He's not going to the AHL, that's for certain. It's always been either the NHL or the Czech Extraliiga for him. I guess he's made a choice, so be it.
Actually it's not. He said at the rookie camp last season he'd be happy to play in the AHL...things certainly may have changed since then but I haven't seen anyone say he won't play in the AHL.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:56 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Yeah but no Sharks prospect will be getting more than 10 minutes on the team. They'll be put on the 4th line to grind their way into becoming a superstar. It makes no sense, so they are better off playing in the AHL.
When was the last time a skilled Sharks prospect was brought up to the NHL and was stuck on the 4th line for 7 minutes a game for any length of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
So, that means he could be heading to North America when he's 20.

If he's more impactful, it's worth the wait.

Hopefully, he has a chance to participate in the Sharks prospect summer camps, to get to know the organization, he potential team mates.
He was at the camp last summber and I expect he'll be at both the rookie camp and training camp this summer/spring as Wilson seems pretty confident he's very close to being ready to play in the NHL.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:58 PM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

He's already in McLellan's doghouse.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:02 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Actually it's not. He said at the rookie camp last season he'd be happy to play in the AHL...things certainly may have changed since then but I haven't seen anyone say he won't play in the AHL.
Are you sure? Because I heard the opposite. I'd believe you if you said, but I'm almost certain he said no to the AHL.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
When was the last time a skilled Sharks prospect was brought up to the NHL and was stuck on the 4th line for 7 minutes a game for any length of time?
I suppose it'll depend on the definition of "skilled" but when was the last time a prospect wasn't? Apart from Couture and Seto who were top 10 picks (and Couture would be top 3 if not for injuries). Not gonna include Michalek/Bernier because back then the line-up was pretty thin.

Wingels, McGinn, Mashinter come to mind (yes Mashinter). I'm sure Hamilton and Videnesky will have the same problem. Just gotta hope Nieto/O'Reagan/Kuraly won't be ruined.

Unless a player has 1st line potential, the management/coaching staff won't give a **** and will turn them into 3rd/4th liners. Some of it is Sommer's fault, some of it is McLellan's.

Closed Thread