HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrej Sekera to Ottawa

Old
08-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
So you understand how little I'd want to trade Sekera to Ottawa then.
Yup, but you'd understand that the odds of Sekera getting traded to Ottawa are a lot higher/more likely than Spezza getting traded to Buffalo.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Benny FTW
[yt]M6PbdJiAK84[/yt]

vCash: 50
No interest in Sekera. Expensive and no need.

lol @ Spezza even being mentioned

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
GerbeSonOfGloin

The Sekera+ for Spezza stuff, let's just agree, was an exaggeration for effect by some fans who really don't want to trade Sekera. Let's not turn this into a "reasons why Spezza is way better than Sekera" thread, because no one disputes that. I'm sure there are relatively unproven Sens youngsters who you guys wouldn't trade for anyone other than Myers, etc.

As for the Sekera for Smith deal, the value is there but I'd decline. Smith-type forwards are easier to find in free agency, and actually have them complement your roster the way they're supposed to, than Sekera-type defensemen. Smith and Puempel I'd do, though, because we lack scoring winger prospects outside of a huge boom-or-bust type in Armia.

GerbeSonOfGloin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
wat.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:

Don't lie Roff.

If you say that, you can't really be familiar with who Sekera is, because he's going to be a solid 2nd pairing defenceman (I think he's already a good #4).

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Benny FTW
[yt]M6PbdJiAK84[/yt]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Don't lie Roff.

If you say that, you can't really be familiar with who Sekera is, because he's going to be a solid 2nd pairing defenceman (I think he's already a good #4).
Not saying i dont like Sekera but we're set on the LD. If we didn't just acquire Methot id be all for it.

Old
08-13-2012, 02:24 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:

How about we just keep Sekera so this gentleman can find out this year who he is on a great contract for the next 3 years at 2.75 mill cap hit.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH...e-Bait/6/44438

After a sub-par start to the 2011/12 season in Buffalo, Sekera played like a bat outta Hell in the final two and a half months of the regular season. He defended well while contributing on the score sheet. Sekera was arguably Buffalo's best D during their frantic dash to the eighth and final playoff spot in the East. Lindy Ruff rode the young Slovak hard and trusted him with heavy minutes in the late stages of the season when injuries and inconsistencies befell the Buffalo blue line. Reggie answered the bell and played extremely well given the additional responsibilities.

While his Buffalo bros are at the golf course and spending time with their families, Sekera is presently tearing it up for his native Slovakia squad at the IIHF World Championships in Helsinki.

Sekera has at times played like the best blue liner at the tourney. His defensive play has been par excellence, to say nothing of his sudden scoring prowess. Sekera is presently tied for fourth in the tourney with Erik Karlsson of the Ottawa Sentors and Justin Faulk of the Carolina Hurricanes in defenseman scoring. Duncan Keith leads all D with 11 points after 7 games, however, Sekera is on the come.

In seven tournament games played at the Worlds, Sekera has two goals and five assists. He recorded three points in his team's win over France on Tuesday. He has a game winner.

By comparison, Sekera's D mate, Zdeno Chara, has just two assists in seven games played for Slovakia. Led by Sekera's heroics at the Worlds, Slovakia's 1-0 win over Switzerland helped the team get back to the top-9 nations for Sochi 2014.

Now you might learn a little bit about Sekera.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Benny FTW
[yt]M6PbdJiAK84[/yt]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
How about we just keep Sekera so this gentleman can find out this year who he is on a great contract for the next 3 years at 2.75 mill cap hit.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH...e-Bait/6/44438

After a sub-par start to the 2011/12 season in Buffalo, Sekera played like a bat outta Hell in the final two and a half months of the regular season. He defended well while contributing on the score sheet. Sekera was arguably Buffalo's best D during their frantic dash to the eighth and final playoff spot in the East. Lindy Ruff rode the young Slovak hard and trusted him with heavy minutes in the late stages of the season when injuries and inconsistencies befell the Buffalo blue line. Reggie answered the bell and played extremely well given the additional responsibilities.

While his Buffalo bros are at the golf course and spending time with their families, Sekera is presently tearing it up for his native Slovakia squad at the IIHF World Championships in Helsinki.

Sekera has at times played like the best blue liner at the tourney. His defensive play has been par excellence, to say nothing of his sudden scoring prowess. Sekera is presently tied for fourth in the tourney with Erik Karlsson of the Ottawa Sentors and Justin Faulk of the Carolina Hurricanes in defenseman scoring. Duncan Keith leads all D with 11 points after 7 games, however, Sekera is on the come.

In seven tournament games played at the Worlds, Sekera has two goals and five assists. He recorded three points in his team's win over France on Tuesday. He has a game winner.

By comparison, Sekera's D mate, Zdeno Chara, has just two assists in seven games played for Slovakia. Led by Sekera's heroics at the Worlds, Slovakia's 1-0 win over Switzerland helped the team get back to the top-9 nations for Sochi 2014.

Now you might learn a little bit about Sekera.
TL;DR

Also I never said Sekera sucks or something.

Old
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Sekera is far more valuable then his league wide recognition would suggest.

I don't want to get into labels, but Sekera is nothing short of an excellent young defensemen on a bargain contract.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:58 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Not saying i dont like Sekera but we're set on the LD. If we didn't just acquire Methot id be all for it.
Sekera played RD most of last year, alongside Regehr.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:00 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post

So he can score if he has Chara, considered one of the best D in hockey, to cover for his mistakes. I think you can plug pretty much anyone in next to Chara.

Three points vs France though. I don't think I've ever heard of a France-French hockey player. Lots of Cananda-French, but not from France. I guess Huet is the only one.

bullseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:02 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
Canadians usually pronounce it like Otto-wah (in my experience), so speak properly and it won't be an issue! Otta-wah makes it sound like a New Jersey accent anyway. You don't want that. It is named after an Algonquin word by French settlers, there are bound to be issues with spelling and pronunciation. Just like Roy/Wah and every other French thing.

Most Americans probably think Ontario is the capital of Canada. Most people are also exceedingly unintelligent.
Everyone I know pronounces it Ott-uh-wah, but regardless of how you pronounce it, the spelling doesn't change. I'm with you on the second paragraph though.

P.S. I know what a Boston accent is, but have no idea what a Jersey one sounds like. Maybe I need to watch Jersey Shore (wow, that is unquestionably the only time I'll ever utter THAT sentence! LOL).

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:19 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Everyone I know pronounces it Ott-uh-wah, but regardless of how you pronounce it, the spelling doesn't change. I'm with you on the second paragraph though.

P.S. I know what a Boston accent is, but have no idea what a Jersey one sounds like. Maybe I need to watch Jersey Shore (wow, that is unquestionably the only time I'll ever utter THAT sentence! LOL).
Hmm. Making it three syllables is interesting.

Boston and New Jersey accents are kind of similar... New Jersey accent is more like NYC accent though.

"Still, many pronunciation features are shared with the New York City dialect: for example, the pronunciation of /ɔː/, the vowel in words like coffee, dog, and talk is raised and tensed to [o] or even higher in New Jersey and New York alike."

Notable speakers with North Jersey accents
Danny DeVito
The Sopranos cast
Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Willis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jer...glish_dialects

As you said, the spelling doesn't change if it is pronounced differently, but the sound-it-out method of spelling will yield different results. For example:

lor-REN versus LAUR-ren. If you move the emphasis, the inflection changes and the perceived spelling changes. The first is an Italian spelling, the second an English spelling. /shrug

Massively off topic, I suppose.

Last edited by bullseyed: 08-13-2012 at 03:24 PM.
bullseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:38 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
So he can score if he has Chara, considered one of the best D in hockey, to cover for his mistakes. I think you can plug pretty much anyone in next to Chara.

Three points vs France though. I don't think I've ever heard of a France-French hockey player. Lots of Cananda-French, but not from France. I guess Huet is the only one.
Sounds like somebody didn't watch any of Slovakia's games. Sekera was a great player for them in all 3 zones. Keep trying to pretend he wasn't if it makes you happy though, I guess. Makes no difference to me.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Karlsson - Methot
Gonchar - Cowen

I don't see the problem...
Methot replaces Kuba. Cowen gets better.

No need for a top 4 Dman if we have to give up anything of value for it. With Ceci a year or two away, we are fine

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Suprbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
Karlsson - Methot
Gonchar - Cowen

No need for a top 4 Dman if we have to give up anything of value for it. With Ceci a year or two away, we are fine
Gonachar gets a lot worse

Suprbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
Karlsson - Methot
Gonchar - Cowen

did you type this in a mirror?

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:02 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
If we're so worried about our D this year...
I don't even see a need for Sekera this season at all, let alone a reason for all of these proposals from our side begging for D-men.

On the left side; Phillips, Methot and Cowen will jockey for roles... probably with very little separating them next year.

On the right side; Karlsson will lead, Gonchar can easily handle his role on the 2nd pairing and I'm sure that Lundin or whoever can fill a bottom pairing role.

Where's the fire?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:33 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
You're not getting Spezza, unless you include Tyler Myers and a couple top prospects.
This made me laugh, anywho why does Ottawa want Sekera isnt there D looking pretty good these days??

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Most Americans probably think Ontario is the capital of Canada. Most people are also exceedingly unintelligent.
Be fair. Most folks I talk to assume Toronto.

And that's still a step ahead of the many, many Canadians who are apparently convinced that the state of Ohio is in the southern U.S.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Benny FTW
[yt]M6PbdJiAK84[/yt]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Sekera played RD most of last year, alongside Regehr.
I had no idea.

Old
08-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

When looking at GF/GA differential, QoC, Zone Starts... it's a fair argument to make that Sekera would be an upgrade to Phillips.

or even an ideal partner for Karlsson

That said... no way am I trading Sekera to Ottawa. I'm more then happy to get flamed for believing he'd immediately be the 2nd best defensemen on Ottawa.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:52 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I don't see the Sabres trading Sekera except as part of a package where they get the best player in the deal. The guy still has upside, has a great contract, and is probably the fans' consensus as the most underrated player on the team (many considered him our #1D last year).

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:04 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Sabres aren't trading Sekera.

More specifically, the Sabres won't trade Sekera to a division rival, even if Smith or Puempel are coming the other way.
Well, supposedly buffalo offered Sekera for foligno at the draft and Ottawa turned it down..

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:19 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Well, supposedly buffalo offered Sekera for foligno at the draft and Ottawa turned it down..
WHAT? According to who?

BRYAN MURRAYYY

:s hakehead

MAK19 is online now   Reply With Quote