Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2012, 07:09 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Finally, someone who agrees with me.

Honestly, cats are the definition of what is wrong with this world. Greed, gluttony, laziness, unwarranted self importance, all that crap. They want to be the center of the attention all the time. ****ing useless furballs. And people who own cats are usually ****ing *******s about it, you have to touch the cat yet you can't because it'll claw your hand off. I'm also allergic to cats and get horrible cough and runny nose as well as bloodshot eyes whenever I go even near a cat.

If I had my way or a lot of money, I would deep-fry kittens and post it on r/aww. Daily.

There's also these idiots who went to a Skrillex gig in middle of nowhere on rural parts of Espoo. Only road that goes there is your basic, two-lane backroad and they expected 27k people there. Well, the event sold out (yeah, there are that many people in need of lobotomy in Finland) but instead of getting there, they got stuck in a traffic jam for up to 9 hours. And the best part is that they missed Skrillex completely.

Now there's of course a big argument going on in the newspapers and forums about whether the organizers should return funds to the visitors who missed most of the action. I'd say the organizers should just keep the money and ask Skrillex to play next year, too. Don't change anything but invest the winnings on land mines and grenades. If anyone is stupid enough to actually go there next year after the cluster**** of this weekend, they're just a waste of resources anyway. That, and they just might catch Skrillex in the process. And I'd get myself an awesome campfire to roast sausages and kittens in.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I could definitely live with never having to see or hear about one ever again.

Joe Rogan talked about cats in a podcast last week. He and I have the same opinion on them. I'll track down the part and post a quote/transcript. You'll probably like it.

Also, Dragonball(Z) was awesome.

Old
08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I would.

I just thought of DBZ the other day, I used to watch it on TV as a kid. Well, actually, I thought of it this afternoon when I woke up with one of the worst hangovers ever. But still, count me in among the people who tolerate DBZ.

BTW, anyone here familiar with Hajime no Ippo? They made an animated series called "The New Challenger" some years ago and I thought it was decent. Been reading the manga for a long time though. It's surprisingly good but has taken a dull turn during last few chapters - especially as the fights tend to drag out and stuff like that. Anyway, if you want to read the manga, I'd suggest to do so but I must warn that it might take some time as there are 981 chapters out as of this date - and it's still not complete.

****, it's 3am again and here I am, sitting on the laptop and browsing HF because I was able to find the unprotected 3G again. As of my cable connection, still not operating. They're going to contact me tomorrow (today) about it, most likely has something to do with the upstream on their end.

Old
08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Wildfish

vCash: 500
ND Warsh

Sorry, couldn't find the original thread rynryn posted this cause there's so many babble posts on this board...

rynryn's perception was that ND natives pronounce wash like warsh. I've never noticed this so tonight at the baseball game I went around asking people where they take their car to get cleaned. After over at least a dozen tries, I finally ran into a guy who said warsh. One out of at least two dozen. If you actually listen, ND natives drag out their vowels, Dakoooota. Minnesooooota. Waaaash, then after dragging the vowel with the accent on SH, like waTSCH. Like a sneeze.

The warrrr.... Only in rynryn's mind.

Last edited by Wildfish: 08-19-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old
08-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
OT, maybe?

Old
08-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
every time i've heard someone say "warsh" instead of "wash" i have a compulsion to ask them if they're from ND. every one has been. what is that?
I'm ashamed to admit that living this close to North Dakota all my life, I occasionally utter that particular malformed-word every so often.

Old
08-19-2012, 07:47 PM
tyratoku

Also, I started reading that book by Mike Babcock that I got. You know, Mike Babcock, head coach of the Dead Wings, also the coach for the 2010 Team Canada olympics team.

Well, it's the first book in a LOOOOOOONG time that I put down and stopped reading.

It's message is "Leave No Doubt". Okay, that's cool. I get it. But you don't have to say the words "Leave No Doubt" four or five times a ****ing page to get that message across.

I'm being serious. The book has the physical size dimensions of a mass market paperback. It's thin as hell at a measly 190 something pages. I can deal with that. What I absolutely cannot deal with is the lazy and half-assed writing this guy put in. Pages are double spaced, with 4-5 paragraphs per page, maybe, maybe 150 words on a page.

I write as a hobby. I've written short stories, novellas, novels, and full on 400-500 page books in the past. When I write lightly, when I space my stuff out, I get about 300-350 words per page. Babcock puts on half the words, spaces it out, and calls it good.

And he repeats himself constantly. Over and over and over and over. I honestly have to wonder if someone came to him with the idea of writing him a book, offered him a bunch of money, and he procrastinated until a day before deadline and went, "Hey, I can write five pages and copy+paste 20 times and call it good. Whoo!"

Mike Babcock's writing is simply lazy. It's lazy. It's bull**** and lazy.

And in the first 10-15 pages I read, I swear I saw the words "Canada's game" "our game" "our birthright" "our sport" maybe 20-30 times when talking about the game of hockey. I understand, Canada, that you guys invented the sport and that's great and all, but in Mike's writing of this, it just came off as the most arrogant, worthless, bull**** writing I have read in a very long time. He basically said, when talking about the 1972 Olympics against Russia(random, but okay), the 1997 WJC, and the 2004 WC, and the 2010 Olympics, that any and every other opponent had absolutely no business even playing, just because they were going against Canada.

Why? Not because skill of team.

Because Canada deserved it. Because hockey is Canada's sport, as in, they have ownership over the entire sport.

Really? I don't know if this book could have come off more arrogant if it tried.

I put this book down and I honestly wanted to go throw it away. It makes me want to get rid of all Canadians on the Wild and hope that no Canadian team ever wins the cup again. It simply dumbfounded me that someone can have this type of view over a sport.

I don't look at Football that way, as an American. I don't look at Baseball that way. I enjoy the fact that the sport is spreading to other countries. I enjoy the fact that there can be some competition. I don't look at other teams and say "**** you America deserves to win! Whooooo!" I hope we win, don't get me wrong, but jesus.

**** you Mike Babcock.

That's all I've got to say about that book. I've never been as infuriated at a book as I am right now. I've read countless amounts of books in my life. I read eight or nine full novels a month. This takes the cake as the single worst book I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Just...wow.

Old
08-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
every time i've heard someone say "warsh" instead of "wash" i have a compulsion to ask them if they're from ND. every one has been. what is that?
Crap. Here's the post. Looked all over for it, couldn't find it, so I started a new thread for which I'm sure to be severely chatised and ostracised by the powers that be. Hope they don't ban me...

Your experience/perception is not at all in line from my experience or experiment. No offense, but you're way out wacky on this one.

Old
08-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Finally, someone who agrees with me.

Honestly, cats are the definition of what is wrong with this world. Greed, gluttony, laziness, unwarranted self importance, all that crap. They want to be the center of the attention all the time. ****ing useless furballs. And people who own cats are usually ****ing *******s about it, you have to touch the cat yet you can't because it'll claw your hand off. I'm also allergic to cats and get horrible cough and runny nose as well as bloodshot eyes whenever I go even near a cat.

If I had my way or a lot of money, I would deep-fry kittens and post it on r/aww. Daily.

There's also these idiots who went to a Skrillex gig in middle of nowhere on rural parts of Espoo. Only road that goes there is your basic, two-lane backroad and they expected 27k people there. Well, the event sold out (yeah, there are that many people in need of lobotomy in Finland) but instead of getting there, they got stuck in a traffic jam for up to 9 hours. And the best part is that they missed Skrillex completely.

Now there's of course a big argument going on in the newspapers and forums about whether the organizers should return funds to the visitors who missed most of the action. I'd say the organizers should just keep the money and ask Skrillex to play next year, too. Don't change anything but invest the winnings on land mines and grenades. If anyone is stupid enough to actually go there next year after the cluster**** of this weekend, they're just a waste of resources anyway. That, and they just might catch Skrillex in the process. And I'd get myself an awesome campfire to roast sausages and kittens in.
Hey...I like cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Also, I started reading that book by Mike Babcock that I got. You know, Mike Babcock, head coach of the Dead Wings, also the coach for the 2010 Team Canada olympics team.

Well, it's the first book in a LOOOOOOONG time that I put down and stopped reading.

It's message is "Leave No Doubt". Okay, that's cool. I get it. But you don't have to say the words "Leave No Doubt" four or five times a ****ing page to get that message across.

I'm being serious. The book has the physical size dimensions of a mass market paperback. It's thin as hell at a measly 190 something pages. I can deal with that. What I absolutely cannot deal with is the lazy and half-assed writing this guy put in. Pages are double spaced, with 4-5 paragraphs per page, maybe, maybe 150 words on a page.

I write as a hobby. I've written short stories, novellas, novels, and full on 400-500 page books in the past. When I write lightly, when I space my stuff out, I get about 300-350 words per page. Babcock puts on half the words, spaces it out, and calls it good.

And he repeats himself constantly. Over and over and over and over. I honestly have to wonder if someone came to him with the idea of writing him a book, offered him a bunch of money, and he procrastinated until a day before deadline and went, "Hey, I can write five pages and copy+paste 20 times and call it good. Whoo!"

Mike Babcock's writing is simply lazy. It's lazy. It's bull**** and lazy.

And in the first 10-15 pages I read, I swear I saw the words "Canada's game" "our game" "our birthright" "our sport" maybe 20-30 times when talking about the game of hockey. I understand, Canada, that you guys invented the sport and that's great and all, but in Mike's writing of this, it just came off as the most arrogant, worthless, bull**** writing I have read in a very long time. He basically said, when talking about the 1972 Olympics against Russia(random, but okay), the 1997 WJC, and the 2004 WC, and the 2010 Olympics, that any and every other opponent had absolutely no business even playing, just because they were going against Canada.

Why? Not because skill of team.

Because Canada deserved it. Because hockey is Canada's sport, as in, they have ownership over the entire sport.

Really? I don't know if this book could have come off more arrogant if it tried.

I put this book down and I honestly wanted to go throw it away. It makes me want to get rid of all Canadians on the Wild and hope that no Canadian team ever wins the cup again. It simply dumbfounded me that someone can have this type of view over a sport.

I don't look at Football that way, as an American. I don't look at Baseball that way. I enjoy the fact that the sport is spreading to other countries. I enjoy the fact that there can be some competition. I don't look at other teams and say "**** you America deserves to win! Whooooo!" I hope we win, don't get me wrong, but jesus.

**** you Mike Babcock.

That's all I've got to say about that book. I've never been as infuriated at a book as I am right now. I've read countless amounts of books in my life. I read eight or nine full novels a month. This takes the cake as the single worst book I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Just...wow.
I heartily approve of your rant.

Also DBZ did rock.

Also I put my first ever youtube video up today, and its video game related so I should probably put this in the video game thread, but no one seems to care about me talking about old shooters from the 90s

Warning: if you are prone to motion sickness, you might not want to click this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXy-XEyT1Y

Old
08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Re: Warsh

I commented on this in one of the prospect poll threads a few minutes ago.

Edit: and now its in this thread.

Damned ninja mods.

Old
08-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Wildfish

I think I'll pass on the Babcock book!

How about a couple of Official's books? Between the Lines Scarpinello's book or Final Call Kerry Fraser's book. Scarpinella seems to be a simple dude who who ended up exactly where he should be in the cosmos. Fraser, on the other hand, comes off in his book exactly like he did on the ice to me - a "me first" *****. Just IMO...

Old
08-19-2012, 08:06 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
I think I'll pass on the Babcock book!

How about a couple of Official's books? Between the Lines Scarpinello's book or Final Call Kerry Fraser's book. Scarpinella seems to be a simple dude who who ended up exactly where he should be in the cosmos. Fraser, on the other hand, comes off in his book exactly like he did on the ice to me - a "me first" *****. Just IMO...
I'd agree with your take on Final Call.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
08-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:

Well at least that's not creepy.

Old
08-19-2012, 08:22 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

That Olympic final coulda gone either way... IMO its the gold that Lou almost cost us..

Old
08-19-2012, 09:42 PM
tyratoku

Just found out the guy I was supposed to be rooming with this semester got assigned another roommate, he hates the new guy. All my friends living in a row hate the new guy.

I could have been in that guys place, except liked by everyone

Oh well.

My girlfriend and I decided that for Spring Break we're going to visit her uncle in California. It'll be my first time ever being over there. Cali, Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona are the only states in the West I haven't been to so if I knock that out I'd be happy.

Also, already making plans to go to a Kings game I'd like to go to a Ducks or Sharks game the same week as well, but San Jose is about 7 and a half hours from where we'll be staying, and the Ducks don't have any home games that week. Oh well. If I can hit up a Kings game I'll be happy.

The best part? My girlfriend is paying for our plane tickets. When we go it'll be around our 1 year anniversary, so she says the present is for that, plus our 6 month, which we "celebrated" two weeks ago. I say it like that because we were seven hours apart and had a Skype date to commemorate it , and she says it might be part of my Christmas present as well.

She's making bank at her new job. Taking home almost twice what I'm bringing in, so that's cool.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Get dat sugar momma, hood.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Dee Oh Cee

I'm addicted to this Bar Rescue show.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Thought you migth like this album, absolutely hilarious NHL shoops.

http://imgur.com/a/RqPKG

Old
08-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Funny how most of them are from here.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:32 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Oh God, Batman & Robin is on G4. So bad yet can't look away.

Observations so far:
1. The first line of the commercial movie is "I want a car."

2. Gotham City's best reporter is a gossip columnist.
2a. Said gossip columnist's name is appropriately "Gossip Gurney."

3. Bane is in this movie. I almost forgot that.

4. Poison Ivy wears a gorilla suit for no ****ing reason, then everyone bids on her like she's a slave.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
How sweet is that?

Old
08-19-2012, 11:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

More Batman & Robin Observations:
5. There's a giant ass statue in the middle of Gotham, which is also gothy and Blade Runner futuristic. Thank God for that statue if only for a cool jumping off it scene.

6. Bruce Wayne really doesn't give a **** about anyone - Elle McPherson, Robin, hell he even doesn't know about Alfred's backstory and that butler raised him.

7. Oxbridge is a British college that Alicia Silverstone went to.
7a. If Alicia Silverstone's character is Alfred's niece and Alfred is an old man, then how much older is Alfred than his siblings?

8. Jesse Ventura cameo!

9. Mr. Freeze has the world's biggest prison cell AND it has a "cold zone." If that's where my taxpayer dollars went, I'd be pissed off at Gotham City politicians.

10. The Glow in the Dark gang looks like they came from an episode of Ghostwriter. They also fight like they came from a PBS show.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
More Batman & Robin Observations:
5. There's a giant ass statue in the middle of Gotham, which is also gothy and Blade Runner futuristic. Thank God for that statue if only for a cool jumping off it scene.

6. Bruce Wayne really doesn't give a **** about anyone - Elle McPherson, Robin, hell he even doesn't know about Alfred's backstory and that butler raised him.

7. Oxbridge is a British college that Alicia Silverstone went to.
7a. If Alicia Silverstone's character is Alfred's niece and Alfred is an old man, then how much older is Alfred than his siblings?

8. Jesse Ventura cameo!

9. Mr. Freeze has the world's biggest prison cell AND it has a "cold zone." If that's where my taxpayer dollars went, I'd be pissed off at Gotham City politicians.

10. The Glow in the Dark gang looks like they came from an episode of Ghostwriter. They also fight like they came from a PBS show.
Keep em coming!

Old
08-20-2012, 12:02 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Even More Batman & Robin Observations:
11. Bruce Wayne turns down Elle MacPherson's marriage proposal and is also thinking about banging Poison Ivy. There's like 7 things ****ed up with that.

12. Police have pretty much given up on shutting down the Mad Max, Road Warrior & Glow in the Dark youth scene in lieu of all the costumed villains.

13. Random midgets are in this movie.

14. SO IS COOLIO!

15. Also given up: trying to complete bridges in Gotham. Sure there's a giant statue that is the size of a skyscraper but bridges?

16. Robin is a snitch or creepily trying to bang Alicia Silverstone's character. I'm not sure which.

17. Now that I think about it, what British university is in an area where Alicia Silverstone can learn how to race motorcycles (which is why she got kicked out of Oxbridge and now lives with her dying Uncle for some reason) AND has a seedy underbelly so she knows how to find Coolio once in Gotham?

18. Oh I guess her parents died. That's why she didn't go back to them.

19. Wait, ALFRED supported her? The butler? How? He probably gets paid worse than the ethics of Wayne Enterprises.

20. Alfred dying gets glossed over pretty fast.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:27 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Even more observations...

21. Gotham prison officials are pretty stupid, corrupt or lax. Letting a max security convict like Mr. Freeze

22. David Caruso would be cringing at the number of puns Uma Thurman and Schwarzenegger go through.

(h/t DeeohCee)

23. RIP Jesse.

24. Bane can rip through a wall but not reinforced steel. Um ok...

25. I'm pretty sure Mr. Freeze is stealing diamonds to fuel his suit so that he can have time and money to find a cure for his wife. That's your main villain in Batman and Robin folks.

26. Poison Ivy and Bane enter North America with a Casablanca pose!

27. Batman and Robin argue over her like 14 year-old boys discovering women for the first time.

28. "Why are all the gorgeous ones homicidal maniacs? Is it me?" -Bruce Wayne

29. Yes Bruce, it's you.

30. There's a line that's a straight up ad for a Poison Ivy action figure.

31. Despite a strange homoerotic relationship between Batman and Robin, women sure get between them a lot.

32. (from a Kill Bill commercial) Batman & Robin would be much more interesting if Uma Thurman played Poison Ivy like The Bride.

33. Poison Ivy switches between looking sexy and crazy evil and not giving a **** about her looks a lot.

34. She also forgets about Bane with her plan - why isn't he trying to kill her too? I mean he's ****ing evil

35. MacGregor's syndrome is so rare that 2 of the 8 people in this movie have it.

36. Speaking of things that 2 of the 8 people in this movie have, Batman and Robin share the same haircut.

37. Has Robin ever gone on a date? Toxins or not, he does a ****** job picking up on social cues.

38. Alfred's family are a bunch of butlers? That must suck.
38a. If Alfred's family are all butlers, why isn't Alicia Silverstone?
38b. Also why can't she be trusted as "family" instead of going out to Wilfred?

Old
08-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Lets face it. Those batmans sucked sooooooo much ballz.

Closed Thread