Notices

General OT Thread #20: Ryan Suter Always Tips Spurgeon 20%

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 05:35 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i have a family to think about. my current wish-list car is the new BMW M5.

come on, a four door sedan for under 100k that does 0-60 in 3.7 and handles like a BMW?

Old
08-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i have a family to think about. my current wish-list car is the new BMW M5.

come on, a four door sedan for under 100k that does 0-60 in 3.7 and handles like a BMW?
Nissan GTR will kick it's ass any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Plus it's 4WD. And cheaper.

Old
08-31-2012, 05:38 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Nissan GTR will kick it's ass any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Plus it's 4WD. And cheaper.
And significantly less practical for a family.

Old
08-31-2012, 05:41 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
you didn't understand the part about four doors? and cheaper? um...no.
don't GTRs go for 100k +?

plus...seriously, i'm not a boy racer. want something refined.

Old
08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

I'd take an M5 over a GT-R every day. Class>speed. Especially when you're talking about the difference between 180 and 200. You'll never go that fast, ever.

Old
08-31-2012, 05:48 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

all depends on what you want. there are people who prefer to drive a Subie STI over a m3. different strokes. but a m5 vs gtr is comparing apples to washing machines.

Old
08-31-2012, 05:48 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Ya, you'll never find a GT-R for under $100k around here.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
08-31-2012, 06:18 PM
TZM
Par too easy

R2-d2.

I know nothing about cars.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Ya, you'll never find a GT-R for under $100k around here.
Really? Because a new M5 is a lot more expensive than a GT-R in Europe. Well, in Finland, they don't even import the supercars due to our ridiculous taxation. For example, Toyota GT-86 (the new RWD one) is almost twice as expensive in Finland as it is in Japan, and 1,5x more expensive than it is in GB.

Fast four door family cruiser then, eh? This might sound strange, coming from me, but an Audi RS6 just might be your piece of cake. And even better, they make an "Avant" (estate) version of it.

That being said, if you're reasonable, you don't go for an M5. Or a GT-R, or an RS6. Actually, the newer models of the standard BMW 5-series are bloody good as well, and much cheaper. VW makes the Golf estate as well as the Passat, which are both very nice cars. And of course there's always Volvo V70, a brilliant classic. Subaru Legacy is a surprisingly fast car as well, and those things are plain sturdy.

Or, if you want something really quick and family suitable, Nissan Skyline R34 or the older R33 are excellent cars as well. Really quick, and surprisingly cheap.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:46 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
You mean all wheel drive. There is a difference you know. Also... it's not THAT much cheaper... Stickers at $91k here.

That Nissan GTR will take my Shelby off the line any day of the week for sure though, but on a 25mph roll? Good night, the GTR has no chance.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:47 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Really? Because a new M5 is a lot more expensive than a GT-R in Europe. Well, in Finland, they don't even import the supercars due to our ridiculous taxation. For example, Toyota GT-86 (the new RWD one) is almost twice as expensive in Finland as it is in Japan, and 1,5x more expensive than it is in GB.

Fast four door family cruiser then, eh? This might sound strange, coming from me, but an Audi RS6 just might be your piece of cake. And even better, they make an "Avant" (estate) version of it.

That being said, if you're reasonable, you don't go for an M5. Or a GT-R, or an RS6. Actually, the newer models of the standard BMW 5-series are bloody good as well, and much cheaper. VW makes the Golf estate as well as the Passat, which are both very nice cars. And of course there's always Volvo V70, a brilliant classic. Subaru Legacy is a surprisingly fast car as well, and those things are plain sturdy.

Or, if you want something really quick and family suitable, Nissan Skyline R34 or the older R33 are excellent cars as well. Really quick, and surprisingly cheap.
over here the golf estate is the jetta sportwagen. a friend has an older s4 avant which is nice, and i used to have an audi allroad. my wife has the passat wagon. nothing i've driven has been as fun to drive as my rwd bmw 330 so i keep going back to that. Almost bought a VW r32 a week ago but it sold out from under me . BMWs just plain handle better than audis in my experience, though i find audis more comfy.

i went cheap with a subie impreza 5 door this time around. love AWD in the winter and everyone i know with a subaru keeps them around for over 150k mile with little or no problems (compared to my previous cars) so i'm thinking right now trading fun for reliability is going to be worthwhile. I drove a new Outback and absolutely hated it. worst driving car i've ever been in. my dad had an old Volvo when i was growing up (not sure what model, but it had round headlights and was like driving a brick of steel around.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:48 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
I really don't care for cars at all.

The only car that has ever really caught my eye is the Audi that Jason Statham drives in the Transporter movies. That's my dream car, I guess.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:51 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

My Dream car... anyone have $250k I can use to buy it?

At least I have it's modern and still rare incarnation that out performs it in every way possible except for looks. A small consolation.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:53 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

surprised you aren't pining for the cobrajet or whatever that ******* was that goes 0-100 in 3.something.

not street legal, but still.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:55 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

The Cobra Jet is a race car... I'm not looking for a race car.

The 67 Shelby GT500 is as iconic as they come in the Muscle car world. It's an automotive work of art!

Old
08-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
You mean all wheel drive. There is a difference you know.
I'm not a ****ing idiot you know. I tend to refer it as 4WD simply because that's what it's called in Finnish. We don't really have a word for "AWD" that's used in common conversation.

Quote:
That Nissan GTR will take my Shelby off the line any day of the week for sure though, but on a 25mph roll? Good night, the GTR has no chance.
25mph roll? What the **** is that, your dinner?

I honestly think you're bragging way too much, "look at me I got a shiny car that will beat anything out there", while it's not even true. Have you even SEEN a GT-R live? That thing is like a ****ing monster. On a race track, be it Laguna Seca or Nürburgring Nordschleife, it will get monstered and you know it. Shelby may have marginally more power but it weighs more, the power-to-weight ratio is worse and it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell in corners.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:04 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
I'm not a ****ing idiot you know. I tend to refer it as 4WD simply because that's what it's called in Finnish. We don't really have a word for "AWD" that's used in common conversation.

25mph roll? What the **** is that, your dinner?

I honestly think you're bragging way too much, "look at me I got a shiny car that will beat anything out there", while it's not even true. Have you even SEEN a GT-R live? That thing is like a ****ing monster. On a race track, be it Laguna Seca or Nürburgring Nordschleife, it will get monstered and you know it. Shelby may have marginally more power but it weighs more, the power-to-weight ratio is worse and it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell in corners.
Yes I have actually... huge fan of the car. As I said, it will eat my car for lunch. I need a handicap of already moving at 25mph to take it down. How is that bragging? That's telling you that car is a monster isn't it?

Also, you're way off on the power to weight ratio... the GTR has 7.5lb for every 1hp, where the Shelby has 6.9lb for every 1hp.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Yes I have actually... huge fan of the car. As I said, it will eat my car for lunch. I need a handicap of already moving at 25mph to take it down. How is that bragging? That's telling you that car is a monster isn't it?
Depends. Are we speaking of circuit driving or simply a standing quarter? Because I don't give a **** what a car can do in a standing quarter if it can't perform out there in the real world, or on the circuit.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:11 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Depends. Are we speaking of circuit driving or simply a standing quarter? Because I don't give a **** what a car can do in a standing quarter if it can't perform out there in the real world, or on the circuit.
Obviously when talking off the line vs a 25mph roll, we're talking about running the quarter. Wasn't even approaching the road course, as everyone knows the GTR will run away all day long.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Obviously when talking off the line vs a 25mph roll, we're talking about running the quarter. Wasn't even approaching the road course, as everyone knows the GTR will run away all day long.
Then there has been a misunderstanding. I always think track first until I even consider other opportunities.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:13 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Yaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn! So anyway, how about them Bears?

Women are so confusing.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:17 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Then there has been a misunderstanding. I always think track first until I even consider other opportunities.
Muscle cars are straight line first cars... always have been. The fact that they perform as well as they do on the road courses these days is actually pretty damned impressive. Shows how far technology has come to make them decent road course cars at all.

The fact that the GT500 - a $60k car can compete on any level with cars near or above $100k is also very impressive and is why there is such love for the top end rare muscle cars.

It's a unique and very American car design.

Don't take offense to someone who owns any car feeling the need to compare theirs to others. It's what car guys do. You can't help it.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Muscle cars are straight line first cars... always have been. The fact that they perform as well as they do on the road courses these days is actually pretty damned impressive. Shows how far technology has come to make them decent road course cars at all.

The fact that the GT500 - a $60k car can compete on any level with cars near or above $100k is also very impressive and is why there is such love for the top end rare muscle cars.

It's a unique and very American car design.
To be honest, 2012 model is $90k in US. Also, you'll have to remember that muscle cars are much more expensive in Europe. Still, I'm not saying the Shelby is a bad car. All I'm saying is that there are better cars around, both in value for money as well as in actual, usable speed category.

But now I'm off to sleep. 3.20am. Ugh.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:27 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

BTW - here's an interesting video for you car guys!

Old
08-31-2012, 07:40 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
To be honest, 2012 model is $90k in US. Also, you'll have to remember that muscle cars are much more expensive in Europe. Still, I'm not saying the Shelby is a bad car. All I'm saying is that there are better cars around, both in value for money as well as in actual, usable speed category.

But now I'm off to sleep. 3.20am. Ugh.
Well... "in the U.S." you're not going to beat the speed/cost value that the Shelby offers anyway... obviously since every Shelby is built in Flat Rock Michigan, and they only build 4-5k of them in a year since it's always a limited build due to all the engines being hand built vs mass produced etc... yes I know they are MUCH more expensive overseas.

Never said they were the best car made in the pure car sense, but they are the best MUSCLE CAR made, which is what I was wanting.

Closed Thread