HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting "rumor" about the CBA

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2005, 01:43 AM
LiquidClown

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Interesting "rumor" about the CBA

Picked this up at SI.com

"A league source said last night that talks took a major turn yesterday when the Players' Association introduced the possibility of a six-year agreement, which would include a salary cap under certain circumstances. The NHLPA has asked the league to accept an agreement without a salary cap for the first three seasons. If it doesn't work, the source said, the league would be allowed to implement a cap in the final three years. But if the NHLPA's proposal allows each team to have cost certainty and make money, the source said there would be no cap. The source added that the league was willing to discuss the idea, but wasn't sure if it was going to be enough to allow NHL hockey to be played this season."

Credit goes to the Ottawa Sun

Old
01-21-2005, 02:07 AM
Balej20*

yeah thats been floating around. TSN also reported it, and Newsday of all papers actually made a mention to it.

It seems a little to perfect to be true....

Old
01-21-2005, 02:52 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
yeah thats been floating around. TSN also reported it, and Newsday of all papers actually made a mention to it.

It seems a little to perfect to be true....

oops sorry if it's a repost or has been talked about on the board singin please go ahead and delete..I didn't see it anywhere else on the Rags board.

It sounds like a nice starting point and for once it's actually a negotiation, not just one side stating (again) what they will/won't accept.

Old
01-21-2005, 09:05 AM
True Blue

That would go against most of the publications that are stating that no progress was made. Daly said that the "philosophical differences are too great".

Old
01-21-2005, 09:13 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

And just to add some icing on the cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
Picked this up at SI.com

"A league source said last night that talks took a major turn yesterday when the Players' Association introduced the possibility of a six-year agreement, which would include a salary cap under certain circumstances. The NHLPA has asked the league to accept an agreement without a salary cap for the first three seasons. If it doesn't work, the source said, the league would be allowed to implement a cap in the final three years. But if the NHLPA's proposal allows each team to have cost certainty and make money, the source said there would be no cap. The source added that the league was willing to discuss the idea, but wasn't sure if it was going to be enough to allow NHL hockey to be played this season."

Credit goes to the Ottawa Sun

The NY Times reported this morning that their is a family fight going on inside cablevision and that maybe, just maybe, it could lead to the Dolans selling cablevsion! I can just heard it:
Free at last, free at last, great hockey god almighty free at last!

The possiblity of having hockey back and no Dolans in the future almost makes me want to be kind to devil fans.

Old
01-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Bettman's said the cap is for the future of the game. Even he will admit the full effect of the cap will not be seen for 10-15 years. No way he let's 3 OR 6 years be a make-or-break time period for it's success.

Old
01-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
That would go against most of the publications that are stating that no progress was made. Daly said that the "philosophical differences are too great".
the only good news out of the meeting was they weren't killing each other when it was over. i'm still hopefull there will be some sort of season but i know i'm in the minority. i just don't think either side wants to piss away a whole year and have the same problems again next year.

although this is what Jimmy Devellano said yestarday.

But even before Thursday's meeting ended, Red Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano said time had run out.

The season's done," he said. "There's no chance that the right deal can remotely be done in the next little while. There's too much work to be done. There's too many I's to dot and T's to cross. You are not going to get this collective bargaining agreement done in two days, three days, one week or two weeks. It's over."

even BEFORE THE MEETING WAS OVER this guy said the season was done. how is this league going to declare an impasse when managment guys say this before a two day session is over? are these guys nuts?

if i were a red wings season ticket holder and they still had my money i would be calling the red wings today DEMANDING my money back.

Old
01-21-2005, 09:23 AM
True Blue

GREAT ESPN QUOTE regarding this

"The utter stupidity of all of this is truly remarkable. The NHL, a league that needs to share revenues more than it needs to shave costs, seems not to understand that this extended effort to impose a salary cap system may find the league returning to business only to encounter a radioactive landscape in which many NHL teams will find themselves far worse off than when this battle began.

The players, for their part, have decided that they are entitled to a free market that NFL and NBA players do not have, ignoring the precarious place their league holds in the overall North American market and thus failing to recognize they may soon be left with their incomes slashed by even more than the NHL is currently proposing."

Best thing I have seen on ESPN regarding the hockey debacle in a very long time.

Old
01-21-2005, 11:07 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

TSN reported later on that this proposal was bogus and had not been on the table.

Old
01-21-2005, 05:18 PM
BigE

Yeah, they've all but squashed the possibility of a last-minute deal being worked out. If you're looking for coverage of anything Lockout TSN is probably your best bet - McKenzie and Burke usually have a pretty good grasp on things.

The quote posted above by True Blue sums up the situation quite clearly and it's unfortunate that the only group to understand how crucial and true that statement really is, are the 'outsiders' - the ones who've not got any control/power.

I'm still putting my money on cancelling the draft and when that happens I think something IS going to happen.

Closed Thread