Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Manchistah Yernited

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
I vote for Istanbul. Organizing such an important event will underline the fact that Turkey has become the leading nation in that region, a role it has taken over from Iraq and Egypt. It would also be the first time a predominantly muslim nation organizes the Olympics.
I hope its Istanbul for these reasons.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 500
I was listening to BBC world news on my way to work today and they were talking about this but mentioned that even though Istambul has the great allure of being a different and new location which is one of the major factors the IOC supposedly looks at, that Turkey is also bidding to host EURO 2020, and that Platini has made it clear that it will be impossible for Turkey to do both events basiacly a month appart, and thus that Turkey will ultimately decide which they want to bid for and it appears that they will prefer hosting the Euros as opposed to the Olympics

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
By 2024 it will be robots competing.

As for the options in the OP, I'd say Istanbul. Madrid has other things to worry about and Japan has had the a few times already.
They've only hosted the games once, in 1964.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:16 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
They've only hosted the games once, in 1964.
They've hosted it on 3 occasions - Tokyo, Sapporo, Nagano. They've only hosted summer once.

I think it should be Tokyo. I'm surprised that Madrid hasn't withdrawn the bid at this point. As for Istanbul...I don't think so. Also, doesn't get unbearably hot there in the summer?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
They've hosted it on 3 occasions - Tokyo, Sapporo, Nagano. They've only hosted summer once.

I think it should be Tokyo. I'm surprised that Madrid hasn't withdrawn the bid at this point. As for Istanbul...I don't think so. Also, doesn't get unbearably hot there in the summer?
They don't take into account winter locations, or at least, I hope they don't.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Modo
MVP

I'm hoping Spain recovers financially by then.

Perhaps a date with the IOC eight years from now will be the kick to the gonads that they need to right the ship.

08-13-2012, 09:57 AM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Can't see Madrid getting it. Spain is in way too much financial turmoil right now.

Tokyo and Istanbul are both good choices. Don't think geography will play a part in it, as both are technically Asian countries.
True, but Istanbul is located in the three percent of the Turkey landmass that is located in Europe. It is a European city that happens to be at the confluence of two continents.

It would get my vote. Spain is experiencing far too much financial turmoil at the moment to award the Games to Madrid (we all saw the disastrous financial consequences Athens experienced for hosting in 2004) and Japan has held three Olympics to date (Tokyo 1964, Sapporo 1972, and Nagano 1998), while a Muslim-majority country has never had the privilege of hosting the Olympics.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:01 AM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
As for Istanbul...I don't think so. Also, doesn't get unbearably hot there in the summer?
It's located on the Bosphorus Straits that connect into the Black Sea, so I would imagine the climate is quite temperate.

From Wikipedia's section on the city's climate:

Quote:
Climate

Istanbul is characterized as having a hot-summer Mediterranean climate, according to the updated Kppen-Geiger classification system. However, due to its vast size, diverse topography, and maritime location, Istanbul exhibits microclimates. Northern parts of the city express characteristics of an oceanic climate because of humidity from the Black Sea and the relatively high concentration of vegetation. The climate in the populated areas of the city in the south is warmer and less affected by humidity.

Summer weather in Istanbul is warm, with high temperatures in July and August averaging 28 C (82 F).[77] Extreme heat, however, is uncommon, as temperatures rise above 32 C (90 F) on only five days per year on average. Rainfall is also uncommon during the summer, with only four or five rainy days per month. Winters are cold, wet, and often snowy, with the temperature in January and February averaging 4 C (39 F). Snowfalls tend to be heavy, but snowcover and temperatures below freezing rarely last more than a few days. Spring and autumn are mild, but often wet and unpredictable; chilly winds from the northwest and warm gusts from the south—sometimes in the same day—have the tendency to cause fluctuations in temperature.

Istanbul has a persistently high humidity, which can exacerbate the summer heat. Humidity generally reaches eighty percent, particularly during the morning hours, and fog is very common although it usually dissipates by noontime. The city receives fog an average of 228 days each year, with the highest concentration of foggy days being in the winter months. Thunderstorms are uncommon, occurring just 23 days each year, but they occur somewhat frequently in the summer and early autumn months. Istanbul has an annual average of 124 days with significant precipitation, which amounts to 855 millimeters (33.7 in) per year. The highest and lowest temperatures ever recorded in the city are 40.5 C (105 F) and −16.1 C (3 F), respectively. The highest amount of rainfall recorded in a single day is 227 millimeters (8.9 in), whereas the highest recorded snow cover is 80 centimeters (31 in)

Old
08-13-2012, 10:15 AM
tobo

I dare say Beijing's nasty humidity is way worse than Istanbul's climate. Another nasty event was the World Cup football 1994 in the USA, which was held in june. I remember Belgium playing against the Netherlands in Orlando... That day, the temperature rose above 40C.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Telecaster Fanatic

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Japan because the opening ceremony would be amazing.
Yes.. Yes.

Telecaster Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Fighter
Happyness

vCash: 865
Quote:
As for Istanbul...I don't think so. Also, doesn't get unbearably hot there in the summer?
Istanbul air pollution is pretty bad, but NOTHING in the world can beat Beijing's heat-humidity-air pollution mix.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Quote:
Stupid that Rogge and his IOC don't want joint bids. Otherwise I would've liked to see the Benelux join forces.
Our infastructure is a joke we wouldn't stand a chance

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Transplanted Caper

2014 - Sochi
2016 - Rio
2018 - Pyeongchang

Geographically, it would suggest Istanbul would be the favourite, followed by Madrid. That being said, the economic uncertainty in Spain may raise some eyebrows in the IOC. My guess is the games to to Istanbul. Puts the games in a region they haven't been before, which is something they like to do.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:52 AM
tobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savi View Post
Our infastructure is a joke we wouldn't stand a chance
Imagine Olympic swimming @ Olympia or archery @ Koude Keuken.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:56 AM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
I dare say Beijing's nasty humidity is way worse than Istanbul's climate. Another nasty event was the World Cup football 1994 in the USA, which was held in june. I remember Belgium playing against the Netherlands in Orlando... That day, the temperature rose above 40C.
Playing football in central Florida in June...yikes.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:58 AM
BlameUtley
When all else fails

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Get ready for Qatar in 2022!

BlameUtley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
tobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Yep, and to make things even worse: to cater the European audience, the organization decided this game was to be played at noon local time. It surprises me they made it to the end of the game without any casualties.

Old
08-13-2012, 12:15 PM
invictus

I really think Istanbul would be an amazing choice. One of the world's most historically relevant and important cities. A true cultural gem. I think it would be absolutely incredible! And with it coming from such a unique background historically, I can only imagine the pageantry of the opening and closing ceremonies would be beyond awesome!

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Less so than in Madrid or Tokyo.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:36 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

I'm pulling for Istanbul. Think it would really help the games in that region, Turkey is a worthy host country and Istanbul would make for a really iconic host city, and I just don't think that Japan and Spain should be getting Olympic games again after having hosted them relatively recently given their relative small sizes compared to the rest of the world and other major Olympic participants.

That being said, I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Europe vote as a bloc for Madrid, as they just don't like given Turkey anything. I see the Islamic world and Africa voting for Istanbul over Madrid and Tokyo, though, and not seeing much Asian support for Tokyo, for various reasons, so it's going to have a lot of swing votes. Latin America and East Asia are going to be the key swing regions, in all likelihood.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Why wouldn't Europeans vote for Turkey? How are they left out and ignored, as you say?

Old
08-13-2012, 01:30 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
My guess is the games to to Istanbul. Puts the games in a region they haven't been before, which is something they like to do.
It's hardly a new region, the Games were already in the East Mediterranean just eight years ago.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:35 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Why wouldn't Europeans vote for Turkey? How are they left out and ignored, as you say?
uh... seriously? Have you not been paying attention to how adamant they are against letting them into the EU, especially how petty a lot of the complaints levied against them have been?

There are certainly legitimate criticisms against Turkey, but the same could be said for a number of other states that have had military juntas and coups in recent memory that are currently in the EU, such as Spain and Greece.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:36 PM
mightyquack
Anaheim is booty

Hopefully Madrid

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
uh... seriously? Have you not been paying attention to how adamant they are against letting them into the EU, especially how petty a lot of the complaints levied against them have been?
They shouldn't be let into the EU because they're a predominately Asian country. Can't see how they can complain about that.