HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXIX

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Wow, I'd be tempted to do Edler straight across for Kane. Fills a need for both teams and who knows how much he'll want on his new deal?
Thought we were talking Patrick. It doesn't really fill a need. They have Byfuglien and Enstrom already that can do what Edler does offensively and defensively just as well. And Bogosian is no slouch physically. I'd feel tempted for Patrick Kane, not really for Evander if it's Edler going the other way.

And LOL at the reporter saying the managers are picking a face of the franchise. Especially one that hasn't even played a full season for them. That screams false information all over it. I could see Kane wanting a trade though.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:01 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Wow, I'd be tempted to do Edler straight across for Kane. Fills a need for both teams and who knows how much he'll want on his new deal?
Leaves a bigger hole in our D and his value isn't there with him being a UFA. Would take some large pieces to get him.

But just so I get ripped,

Ballard, Booth + 1st, 2nd

Old
08-24-2012, 12:07 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Leaves a bigger hole in our D and his value isn't there with him being a UFA. Would take some large pieces to get him.

But just so I get ripped,

Ballard, Booth + 1st, 2nd
Booth, Gaunce, 1st

Old
08-24-2012, 12:07 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Booth, Gaunce, 1st
Where do I sign?

Old
08-24-2012, 12:36 AM
JuniorNelson

I'd trade Schnieder. Seriously, if it would get Evander Kane, it's worth it.

We have another goalie. Winnipeg doesn't have another Kane.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:43 AM
KISSland

vCash: 500
Lol, they can't have two faces of the franchise? Must be bigger than that. And I doubt he wants to play here if it's true he wants out. Poor Winnipeg.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:46 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Booth, Gaunce, 1st
Pretty sure every team with the resources could make a better deal. Team like SJ comes to mind with Pavelski+, NY with Del Zotto+, etc.

Old
08-24-2012, 01:01 AM
dave babych returns

Seems like a load of ********. How many times do both sides have to refute these rumours?

And who exactly is @JSB_CTV?

Old
08-24-2012, 01:57 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Pretty sure every team with the resources could make a better deal. Team like SJ comes to mind with Pavelski+, NY with Del Zotto+, etc.
I won't argue that because it is true. That offer would be what I think he'd get low end, basically starting point for negotiations. The question is how much more would it take? Tanev? Jensen? Tanev+Jensen? 2 1sts?

Booth, Gaunce, 1st + Jensen + another 1st??

Seems like questionable upgrade at that point considering we could get better team upgrades spreading those out across a series of trades imho.

Old
08-24-2012, 01:58 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Well it was funny when an Oiler fan suggested Yakupov for Kane on the main board and then stated "I'm not sure if I'd even do this"..

I would never trade Kane for Yakupov.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:01 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
I won't argue that because it is true. That offer would be what I think he'd get low end, basically starting point for negotiations. The question is how much more would it take? Tanev? Jensen? Tanev+Jensen? 2 1sts?

Seems like questionable upgrade at that point considering we could get better team upgrades spreading those out across a series of trades imho.
30 goal season in his 3rd season in the league. I think the guy has elite talent written all over him. Personally, I usually consider him an ideal power forward over the likes of Lucic (who cant skate worth ****) or even Hartnell.

But I agree. the Booth, Gaunce, Jensen + 2-1sts would be a severe overpayment at that point.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Canucker

Quote:

Say what now? There are only a handful of players I'd give up that much for, and Evander Kane isn't one of them...not even close to being one of them.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:33 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Say what now? There are only a handful of players I'd give up that much for, and Evander Kane isn't one of them...not even close to being one of them.
So

Booth, Gaunce, 1st = too little

Booth, Gaunce, 1st, Jensen, another 1st = too much

so (Gaunce/Jensen interchangable)

Booth, Gaunce, 1st, 1st
Booth, Gaunce, 1st, Jensen

Booth, Gaunce, 1st,????

Old
08-24-2012, 02:48 AM
KISSland

Quote:

No like I think they can find a team that will trade quality for quality. I see Booth, Gaunce, etc to be quantity type of assets.

Old
08-24-2012, 03:23 AM
vector209

A signed Burrows + picks/prospects for Kane.

Old
08-24-2012, 04:03 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
True enough. And frankly I generally agree with the strategy of building up as much talent and redundancy as you can in the offseason rather than trying to swing a deal during the season..

I just don't like Kostitsyn all that much for whatever reason. It seems like an offseason in which the Canucks have really gone out of their way to make players accountable for their mistakes - hanging Ryan Kesler out in the press, going to arbitration to reduce Mason Raymond's salary, etc - is a poor time to go out and acquire a player who has been cut loose twice in the last six months (and who has a few question marks on his resume).

I'm pro bringing Kostitsyn in. You do make an interesting point though. This offseason the Canucks have gone after their players a little bit. What would be the sense of bringing in questionable character? I can see this as a reason to not bring AK in.

IMO, NSH blew that situation out of proportion in order to send a message. They overtly pounded that point home. However, without said incident, would AK be a pred right now? I'd say yes. They targeted him. Paid assets for him. Have his brother on the team. It made sense for them to keep him long-term. Without said incident, he would be a Predator long-term.

So MG should do his due diligence, and figure out if that incident was isolated, or if it is representative of the player. If NSH was deemed to have overreacted, should AK be blackballed? No.

I doubt VAN pursues him though. KHL factor and character issues (even speculated) will deter them. Further, some team will pay him more. But I think he is a decent hockey player getting a rough ride here. Teams have obviously made their call. However, some team will take a chance and really benefit from that misconception.

Old
08-24-2012, 04:07 AM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Seems like a load of ********. How many times do both sides have to refute these rumours?

And who exactly is @JSB_CTV?
on the other hand i'm not real inclined to believe the denials, given how often they have to roll them out.

Quote:
gary lawless
‏@garylawless
Jets tell me no truth to Evander Kane asking for a trade #nhljets #bn
i mean, what incentive would the team have to actually admit the trade request?

Old
08-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Canucker

Quote:
So

Booth, Gaunce, 1st = too little

Booth, Gaunce, 1st, Jensen, another 1st = too much

so (Gaunce/Jensen interchangable)

Booth, Gaunce, 1st, 1st
Booth, Gaunce, 1st, Jensen

Booth, Gaunce, 1st,????
I would love to have Kane, but the potential damage that could do to our stable of prospects is quite profound. I don't personally see Evander Kane being any more of a star than say, a Bobby Ryan...basically a 30-35 goal, 60-65 point player who may have career 40-30 season. IMO both Gaunce and Jensen have the potential to put up similar point totals, and I'm not convinced Booth can't rebound and be a solid 25-30 goal guy if Kesler starts distributing the puck. I'd probably do Booth, Gaunce/Jensen, a 1st and a 3rd max.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:43 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
I would love to have Kane, but the potential damage that could do to our stable of prospects is quite profound. I don't personally see Evander Kane being any more of a star than say, a Bobby Ryan...basically a 30-35 goal, 60-65 point player who may have career 40-30 season. IMO both Gaunce and Jensen have the potential to put up similar point totals, and I'm not convinced Booth can't rebound and be a solid 25-30 goal guy if Kesler starts distributing the puck. I'd probably do Booth, Gaunce/Jensen, a 1st and a 3rd max.
Bobby Ryan puts up Sedin-like even strength production in the regular season.

08-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Bobby Ryan puts up Sedin-like even strength production in the regular season.
Sure, in a very off year for the Sedins.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:55 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Sure, in a very off year for the Sedins.
Are you suggesting Daniel's Art Ross year was a very off year? In 2010-11 Daniel put up 62 even strength points. Bobby Ryan put up 61.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Are you suggesting Daniel's Art Ross year was a very off year? In 2010-11 Daniel put up 62 even strength points. Bobby Ryan put up 61.
I guess that's true, but honestly I don't care how they produce (PP, ES or SH) as long as they do.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Have his brother on the team.
Just speculation, but I think his brother brings out the worst in him; seemed to be playing/doing fine as Hab until his brother made it to the "big club" course it's just how I perceived it (could be wrong).

Old
08-24-2012, 10:38 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I guess that's true, but honestly I don't care how they produce (PP, ES or SH) as long as they do.
Which I am sure Bobby Ryan would have if he received first unit PP time, as well as the zone starts the Sedins get. If you're right with your prediction that Evander Kane will turn out like Bobby Ryan then it would be a steal to acquire him.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Which I am sure Bobby Ryan would have if he received first unit PP time, as well as the zone starts the Sedins get. If you're right with your prediction that Evander Kane will turn out like Bobby Ryan then it would be a steal to acquire him.
You can't say "it would be a steal to grab him" unless you qualify it by stating the cost. Getting Kane for Booth and Gaunce/Jensen, steal....getting Kane for Booth, Gaunce, Jensen and 2 1sts, not so much.

Closed Thread