HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXIX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-15-2012, 03:01 PM
  #876
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He wasnt anything special. I stand by that.

The kings gave up very little in terms of meaningful scoring chances and second opportunities.

Ps Quick let in a slapper from center ice.

He was good, but it's a lame excuse...the Canucks didn't create anything...at least against Boston we had chances to score.

Quick's series against us does not come close to what Tim Thomas did the year before.
Quick looked great because he played 4 offensively inept teams in the playoffs. While our regular season offense tends to be pretty good, our playoff offense has been terrible. St Louis, Phoenix and New Jersey also don't really scare anyone offensively.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:03 PM
  #877
nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,808
vCash: 50
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Kings had the easiest path to the finals I have ever seen and can ever really imagine.

Just an absolute joyride for them.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6 is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:14 PM
  #878
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So we're going to sit and moan using injuries as an excuse two years in a row? Or would it be prudent to actually address what's an obvious problem?
Except in the SCF injuries played a huge factor, thats not an excuse that is the truth.

I also agree with roach9 about LA's path. They had an easy path which led to quicker series which lead to less of a tole on the body meaning: no injuries.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:16 PM
  #879
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Except in the SCF injuries played a huge factor, thats not an excuse that is the truth.

I also agree with roach9 about LA's path. They had an easy path which led to quicker series which lead to less of a tole on the body meaning: no injuries.
But you're ignoring the fact that we had offensive problems even before the 2011 SCF. Our offense in the Chicago and Nashville series was atrocious. And before you go off about their defense and goaltending like people always do, don't ignore the fact that Anaheim had just lit up Nashville, so there's really no excuse.

Our playoff offense hasn't been addressed, two years in a row now. And that's not acceptable.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:27 PM
  #880
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
But you're ignoring the fact that we had offensive problems even before the 2011 SCF. Our offense in the Chicago and Nashville series was atrocious. And before you go off about their defense and goaltending like people always do, don't ignore the fact that Anaheim had just lit up Nashville, so there's really no excuse.

Our playoff offense hasn't been addressed, two years in a row now. And that's not acceptable.
There are certain match ups that just bring out the worse in players or goalies. Heck some players can just have bad series! Doesn't mean that goes on from series to series...

Look at TT's series vs the Lightning as an example. He was being lit up (pun not intended) by the Lightning but played very good against Mtl, Phi & us.


Just like Luongo played great against Nasville, San Jose but was being lit up by Boston.


Maybe because its easier said then done

Think you could do a better job then Gillis?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:31 PM
  #881
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
There are certain match ups that just bring out the worse in players or goalies. Heck some players can just have bad series! Doesn't mean that goes on from series to series...

Look at TT's series vs the Lightning as an example. He was being lit up (pun not intended) by the Lightning but played very good against Mtl, Phi & us.


Just like Luongo played great against Nasville, San Jose but was being lit up by Boston.


Maybe because its easier said then done

Think you could do a better job then Gillis?
Sorry but writing all that off and essentially saying "c'est la vie" isn't good enough for me and is just a cop out to avoid admitting that our personnel aren't good enough to get it done in the playoffs. We have a stellar regular season team, but they aren't good enough for the playoffs. It's almost like we don't have that extra gear, and our top players are easily shut down.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:33 PM
  #882
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
There are certain match ups that just bring out the worse in players or goalies. Heck some players can just have bad series! Doesn't mean that goes on from series to series...

Look at TT's series vs the Lightning as an example. He was being lit up (pun not intended) by the Lightning but played very good against Mtl, Phi & us.


Just like Luongo played great against Nasville, San Jose but was being lit up by Boston.


Maybe because its easier said then done

Think you could do a better job then Gillis?
This is just a stupid way of arguing your point..

It doesn't look passed the fact we haven't been able to have consistent offense from the start of the season and have it continue in the playoffs.

Some match ups do favor other teams strengths, but when you dominate and are the best in the league for two years straight then fade away that's just embarrassing.

I'm hoping we can fix this issue with a Luongo trade as the UFA crop is gone, but I doubt anything gets done till the CBA is renewed.

Like I said as of now our team doesn't look like it will be able to win it all.

KISSland is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:37 PM
  #883
Lundface
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Sorry but writing all that off and essentially saying "c'est la vie" isn't good enough for me and is just a cop out to avoid admitting that our personnel aren't good enough to get it done in the playoffs. We have a stellar regular season team, but they aren't good enough for the playoffs. It's almost like we don't have that extra gear, and our top players are easily shut down.
Unless you have any suggestions, you're just moaning.

Gillis was in it to the end on both Doan and Schultz.

The way the game was being called, you can't really expect much offence. The 2 games we had Daniel we looked the same if not better than LA. Under that officiating, LA steamrolled every team they met.

For what its worth I also believe we don't have enough offence, but there really isn't much that can be done. We don't have the young assets to go out and get a star, nor do we have the youth to groom them. Besides the Sedin twins and perhaps Burrows, he have almost no skill upfront.

This team however does have solid defence ( with Garrison added) and an elite goalie in Schneider.

Lundface is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:40 PM
  #884
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,719
vCash: 500
So, any thoughts on Edler? I'd say it's a good bet that the Canucks are working on locking him up in advance of the CBA. My thought is that the Canucks will likely exceed the "Bieksa Cap" and go for a five year deal at $5.5m per.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:41 PM
  #885
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Sorry but writing all that off and essentially saying "c'est la vie" isn't good enough for me and is just a cop out to avoid admitting that our personnel aren't good enough to get it done in the playoffs. We have a stellar regular season team, but they aren't good enough for the playoffs. It's almost like we don't have that extra gear, and our top players are easily shut down.
not surprised .... Someone gives an answer that is reasonable & you just ignore it so you can continue to bark on our offense to in continued support Luongo.


It may be "c'est la vie" but thats how the playoffs work though & thats why its a saying after all... Not every top team in the Regular Season is going to win the cup, remember there is only 1 winner every year & I'm sure numerous teams feel & say the same thing. Its not like we are the first team to be great in the regular season & not do anything in the post season.... except we've been to a game 7 of the Finals, thats more then most teams can say. (Like Wsh or Sj)

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:42 PM
  #886
Vankiller Whale
Bow down
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,841
vCash: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
So, any thoughts on Edler? I'd say it's a good bet that the Canucks are working on locking him up in advance of the CBA. My thought is that the Canucks will likely exceed the "Bieksa Cap" and go for a five year deal at $5.5m per.
I'd expect around Kesler money, something around 25mil/5

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:45 PM
  #887
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
This is just a stupid way of arguing your point..

It doesn't look passed the fact we haven't been able to have consistent offense from the start of the season and have it continue in the playoffs.

Some match ups do favor other teams strengths, but when you dominate and are the best in the league for two years straight then fade away that's just embarrassing.

I'm hoping we can fix this issue with a Luongo trade as the UFA crop is gone, but I doubt anything gets done till the CBA is renewed.

Like I said as of now our team doesn't look like it will be able to win it all.
I was asking him something as it seems like he has ideas & to me comes off like he could do better.

1st year of being the best in the League we went to Game 7 of the Finals
2nd Year we didn't deserve to be the best in the League & got lucky that NYR & STL choked it away, that and great goaltending that saved us through the 2nd half of last season.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:49 PM
  #888
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,879
vCash: 500
Hoping Edler resigns today. Before 2 right?

keslerburrows is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:58 PM
  #889
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I was asking him something as it seems like he has ideas & to me comes off like he could do better.

1st year of being the best in the League we went to Game 7 of the Finals
2nd Year we didn't deserve to be the best in the League & got lucky that NYR & STL choked it away, that and great goaltending that saved us through the 2nd half of last season.
Well I don't think it's reasonable to sit on our hands and say "oh well, we lost. Maybe next year will be better" without actually addressing the reasons why we lost.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 03:59 PM
  #890
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Well I don't think it's reasonable to sit on our hands and say "oh well, we lost. Maybe next year will be better" without actually addressing the reasons why we lost.
And do you think this is what Gillis is doing?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:02 PM
  #891
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Especially if we're relying on rookies to filled that void.
The Kings had Dwight King score big goals for them last year, the Bruins had Brad Marchand the year before that.

Scurr is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
  #892
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Well I don't think it's reasonable to sit on our hands and say "oh well, we lost. Maybe next year will be better"
Do you think that's what the team is doing? It looks to me like Gillis is doing everything he can to improve the team both internally (Kassian on regimented program, Raymond/Kesler challenged in the media) and externally (Sign Garrison, big push for Doan, holding out for significant piece in Luongo deal) Adding a superstar to the forward mix would be great but is unrealistic and not the only way to improve our playoff scoring.

Scurr is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:11 PM
  #893
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
And before you go off about their defense and goaltending like people always do, don't ignore the fact that Anaheim had just lit up Nashville, so there's really no excuse.
You're smarter then to use 7 games or less as a sample size.


Last edited by Scurr: 09-15-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Scurr is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:19 PM
  #894
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
The Kings had Dwight King score big goals for them last year, the Bruins had Brad Marchand the year before that.
Except they weren't relied on to start. They had a solid top 6 and then had rookies that performed exceptionally well and got icetime for it. To hope that happens to us is a stupid plan. I don't want any of our rookies in our top 6 when the puck drops on game 1. I mean do you think the Kings and Bruins were expecting them to perform the way they did? And to breakout? Using examples like this aren't common.

I mean their top 6 was stacked:

Kings: Kopitar, Williams, Carter, Richards, Brown, Penner

Bruins: Krecji, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, Recchi, Marchand(Ryder was playing here to start till Marchand excelled and took his spot.)

KISSland is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:19 PM
  #895
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
The Kings had Dwight King score big goals for them last year, the Bruins had Brad Marchand the year before that.
Every team that wins has somebody scoring big goals for them.

By definition.

 
Old
09-15-2012, 04:28 PM
  #896
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Except they weren't relied on to start. They had a solid top 6 and then had rookies that performed exceptionally well and got icetime for it. To hope that happens to us is a stupid plan. I don't want any of our rookies in our top 6 when the puck drops on game 1. I mean do you think the Kings and Bruins were expecting them to perform the way they did? And to breakout? Using examples like this aren't common.

I mean their top 6 was stacked:

Kings: Kopitar, Williams, Carter, Richards, Brown, Penner

Bruins: Krecji, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, Recchi, Marchand(Ryder was playing here to start till Marchand excelled and took his spot.)
Penner and 42 year old Mark Recchi I'll take Higgins in the top 6 over either of those bums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Every team that wins has somebody scoring big goals for them.

By definition.
I was just pointing out that rookies can and often do have an impact in a playoff run.

Scurr is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:29 PM
  #897
Vankiller Whale
Bow down
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,841
vCash: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Except they weren't relied on to start. They had a solid top 6 and then had rookies that performed exceptionally well and got icetime for it. To hope that happens to us is a stupid plan. I don't want any of our rookies in our top 6 when the puck drops on game 1. I mean do you think the Kings and Bruins were expecting them to perform the way they did? And to breakout? Using examples like this aren't common.

I mean their top 6 was stacked:

Kings: Kopitar, Williams, Carter, Richards, Brown, Penner

Bruins: Krecji, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, Recchi, Marchand(Ryder was playing here to start till Marchand excelled and took his spot.)
Henrik>Kopitar
Daniel>>Carter
Kesler>/=Richards
Burrows=/< Brown
Higgins = Penner
Williams> Booth

But with Daniel missing it becomes more lopsided.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:32 PM
  #898
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
And do you think this is what Gillis is doing?
No. That's what a lot of the fans are doing. Gillis has failed to address our problems whether he's attempted to fix them or not.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:33 PM
  #899
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Sorry but writing all that off and essentially saying "c'est la vie" isn't good enough for me and is just a cop out to avoid admitting that our personnel aren't good enough to get it done in the playoffs. We have a stellar regular season team, but they aren't good enough for the playoffs. It's almost like we don't have that extra gear, and our top players are easily shut down.
Sometimes in life "C'est la vie." applies. There's more than effort and courage involved in almost anything worth having.

I assume you hold the team to a higher standard than you hold yourself to in your life, or have you managed to accomplish everything you ever wanted regardless of circumstance?

DJOpus is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:42 PM
  #900
Vankiller Whale
Bow down
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,841
vCash: 1508
For all people criticize Gillis, it's ridiculous to expect him to get a franchise defenseman, a top 6 winger, add physicality, and have a decent prospect pool all at the same time.

In today's league, it's impossible to be hands-down the best. I think we are the best in the West right now, but in a 7 game series, injuries or luck will play a bigger factor than the difference between rosters on paper.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.