HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Do you wish there was some hostility in tennis?

Old
08-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Vamos Rafa

vCash: 500
Do you wish there was some hostility in tennis?

What I mean is that it seems like the crowd is cheering for both players even if one of them is the hometown athlete. For every point each player scores, the crowd cheers. Say Roger Federer vs. Andy Murray at Wimbledon. Federer scores a winner and you hear "YEAAAAHHH!" from the crowd instead of "Ugh..." Like, why are these guys clapping? And I'm sure there are some Federer fans in the stadium but the cheers are still as loud as the cheers for Murray.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
"You cannot be serious"

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:07 PM
puckyeah

Men's tennis is not nearly as good as it used to be. When you had Johnny Mac, Connors and guys like that, it was a much better sport to watch. Nowadays, and i'm no tennis expert by any means, but don't people say that the speed of the men's serves makes the game kind of 'boring' for lack of a better word? Isnt mens tennis all about serving?

At least in the women's game you get some rallies.

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

some tennis players now expect the crowd to cheer for them or not boo them even when they are playing a guy in his own country with the home crowd...case in point Verdasco vs Gasquet at a tournament in France....was really hilarious to see, and if he would've tweeted the things he said he would've been considered a racist and rightly so in my opinion

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Ceremony
Inpermanent

vCash: 0
Given the way the French fans were acting at Roland Garros this year, no. It's nice to see a sport where the crowd cheers for good play, regardless of who it is.

Last edited by Ceremony: 08-13-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

vCash: 681
Many crowds get quite hostile anyway: the Americans (in New York mostly), French, and Italians for example, and nearly every Davis Cup crowd.

Your example is a poor one, too. Let's stop pretending people are obligated to root for players from their own country, or more so against those playing said players. Federer will get a healthy chunk of crowd support anywhere he goes, even Serbia (if he had to play there).

Verdasco is an entitled clown and a waste of tennis talent. The vast majority of tennis players would not react the way he did against Gasquet in that match.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Fighter
Playoffs train wreck

vCash: 865
I wouldn't mind watching 6'2" Djokovic beat the **** out of that little weasel of Nadal

Other than that... are you serious?

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
I wouldn't mind watching 6'2" Djokovic beat the **** out of that little weasel of Nadal

Other than that... are you serious?
No sarcasm required. I very much enjoy that as well.

Old
08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
No sarcasm required. I very much enjoy that as well.
Considering how well Nadal is built, I would think it would go the other way.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:35 AM
Fighter
Playoffs train wreck

vCash: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Considering how well Nadal is built, I would think it would go the other way.

Djokovic is tall and built like a truck, Nadal is a midget. In comparison a fight between them would end up like Lindros vs Barnaby

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:

Djokovic is tall and built like a truck, Nadal is a midget. In comparison a fight between them would end up like Lindros vs Barnaby
You forgot the

Djokovic wouldn't even have time to blink

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Those muscles are for show, and he looks leaner now than he did in 2008:

Nadal couldn't beat up anyone. Not saying Djokovic could either, but it's certainly a pleasure to see him do so on court.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:

If Nadal is a midget, then what is Djokovic? A slightly taller midget that not even his giraffe neck can't help him tower over Nadal? People with longer necks tend to be a little easier to get knocked the **** out, so Rafa just needs one shot and it's over...

Oh yeah...Nadal gets beaten up by Djokovic on the court, alright! By leading the head-to-head 19-14, including 3 straight wins!

Old
08-14-2012, 11:18 AM
kihei

vCash: 620
According to the ATP site, Nole is 6-2, 176 pounds; Nadal is 6-1, 188 pounds. I think I would take Rafa in this fight.

To get back to the point of the thread before the usual Rafa haters highjacked it with their bleating noises, I like tennis just the way it is. If I want more hostility, there is no shortage of other sports that I can turn to.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
If Nadal is a midget, then what is Djokovic? A slightly taller midget that not even his giraffe neck can't help him tower over Nadal? People with longer necks tend to be a little easier to get knocked the **** out, so Rafa just needs one shot and it's over...
For sure, Novak's neck length is the reason why he'd lose a fight...
Quote:

Oh yeah...Nadal gets beaten up by Djokovic on the court, alright! By leading the head-to-head 19-14, including 3 straight wins!
And thank you for graciously including a picture of his seventh straight loss to Djokovic preceding that win streak. If Rafa accords the same value to his head-to-head records as most of his fans, he should try to restrict his matches with Djokovic to clay. That, and hope Davydenko is still around another year for him to pull even.

And just to get back on topic, tennis crowds also tend to be less hostile because a greater portion of the people in attendance don't follow the sport year round. They watch when the tour is in their town, or in their time zone. They don't know enough about all the players to grow to hate any of them really. You can't say the same for most other popular sports.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
For sure, Novak's neck length is the reason why he'd lose a fight...

And thank you for graciously including a picture of his seventh straight loss to Djokovic preceding that win streak. If Rafa accords the same value to his head-to-head records as most of his fans, he should try to restrict his matches with Djokovic to clay. That, and hope Davydenko is still around another year for him to pull even.

And just to get back on topic, tennis crowds also tend to be less hostile because a greater portion of the people in attendance don't follow the sport year round. They watch when the tour is in their town, or in their time zone. They don't know enough about all the players to grow to hate any of them really. You can't say the same for most other popular sports.
In boxing, it's true. People with longer necks are more prone to KOs. Like the lie of Djokovic being a bigger man is the reason why Nadal would lose a fight, right?

Does this picture look better to you?

You're complaining about the clay court, right? Well, here you go...

So why should we discount the matches on clay? So you could win the argument that Djokovic is better? Hey, it's not Rafa's fault that he's arguably the best clay player of all time (or you could just remove "arguably"). Let's see.

Rafa is 12-2 on clay vs Nole. 5-11 on hard. 2-1 on grass. By your logic, we should only count hard court matches since that's where Nole only excels against Nadal historically!

Oh yeah, Rafa beat him in the Olympics en route to a gold medal...on a hard court. Rafa has beaten Nole on hard at the US Open. Rafa has beaten Nole on grass at Wimbledon. So Rafa has beaten him on all 3 surfaces at Grand Slams. Nole has never beaten Rafa at Roland Garros. Now I understand why you enjoy Rafa losing against Nole. It's because it happens less often.

19-14. Deal with it.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Really? It takes someone horrendously stupid to look at pictures of two people of relatively similar stature and make enough assumptions to believe he knows who would win a fight between those two.

Djokovic has been the better player overall for nearly two years now. Clay victories count the same, but clay tournaments only make up a little over a third of the calendar, and even less for top players (5 of the 19 tournaments Nadal would have played if he kept his schedule over the past year). Don't expect that three match streak to continue when Nadal next plays another hard court match against Djokovic either.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Really? It takes someone horrendously stupid to look at pictures of two people of relatively similar stature and make enough assumptions to believe he knows who would win a fight between those two.

Djokovic has been the better player overall for nearly two years now. Clay victories count the same, but clay tournaments only make up a little over a third of the calendar, and even less for top players (5 of the 19 tournaments Nadal would have played if he kept his schedule over the past year). Don't expect that three match streak to continue when Nadal next plays another hard court match against Djokovic either.
I'm not the one who said Nadal is a midget compared to Djokovic, am I? Thanks for calling Fighter stupid.

Oh yeah, we're only talking about the last two years here. How convenient... Even if Nadal retired now, Djokovic still has a long way to go to catch up to him to match or surpass Rafa's legacy. Where's the picture of Nole posing with the French Open title next to Rafa?

19-14.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
I'm not the one who said Nadal is a midget compared to Djokovic, am I? Thanks for calling Fighter stupid.

Oh yeah, we're only talking about the last two years here. How convenient... Even if Nadal retired now, Djokovic still has a long way to go to catch up to him to match or surpass Rafa's legacy. Where's the picture of Nole posing with the French Open title next to Rafa?

19-14.
Yes, just like Fighter also thinks Nadal is a weasel - quite literally. I strongly question his or her perception and overall intelligence.

As for your second paragraph, no ****. That doesn't change the fact that beatdowns are more likely to come from Nole than to him at this point, which is what we were obviously discussing. 19-14 is hardly a dominant head-to-head either.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Yes, just like Fighter also thinks Nadal is a weasel - quite literally. I strongly question his or her perception and overall intelligence.

As for your second paragraph, no ****. That doesn't change the fact that beatdowns are more likely to come from Nole than to him at this point, which is what we were obviously discussing. 19-14 is hardly a dominant head-to-head either.
Yeah, just like I was really serious about Rafa easily knocking Nole out in a boxing match because I know Rafa's attributes as a boxer...

When their careers are over, nobody is gonna care who had a more successful sample size of dominance in the all-time head-to-head. As long as there are clay tournaments on the schedule, there aren't gonna be any beat downs. Rafa has been more dominant against Nole on clay than Nole has been dominant against Rafa on hard. When you say "more likely", that's not a fact. It's all assumptions for now. 19-14 is hardly dominant, but sometimes you just gotta keep reminding who's leading the series.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

It's not a series, though, and head-to-head records mean jack **** in the end even in comparing two players.

The presence of clay tournaments on the calendar won't prevent beat downs from occurring elsewhere if that's what you meant.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Vamos Rafa

Oh, head-to-head means jack **** now? Because your boy is on the losing end of it? Again, how convenient. If it means jack ****, then why did you bring up the 7-match winning streak by Nole? 19-14. Deal with it.

Okay, fine. Nadal puts his beatdown against Nole on clay. In the end, Nole will always be asked, "Why have you never been able to beat Rafa at Roland Garros while he's beaten you on the other two surfaces at Grand Slam events?" And since you're talking about the last 2 years. Since 2010 - Nole: 4 GS, Rafa: 5 GS.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Oh, head-to-head means jack **** now? Because your boy is on the losing end of it? Again, how convenient. If it means jack ****, then why did you bring up the 7-match winning streak by Nole? 19-14. Deal with it.

Okay, fine. Nadal puts his beatdown against Nole on clay. In the end, Nole will always be asked, "Why have you never been able to beat Rafa at Roland Garros while he's beaten you on the other two surface at Grand Slam events?"
Winning streaks are not the same as head-to-head records, and - again - we're discussing who will win matches between the two in the future anyway, not which of them is a better player. In that respect, they mean something, but it's much more important to win the biggest tournaments than to win more matches than you lose against your biggest rivals (viewed in isolation).

Lol, no, Nole will not always be asked that, especially since this was just his first Roland Garros final. Hard courts aren't all the same surface either: plexicushion plays vastly different from decoturf. By my estimation, each has won slam finals against the other on three surfaces.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Winning streaks are not the same as head-to-head records, and - again - we're discussing who will win matches between the two in the future anyway, not which of them is a better player. In that respect, they mean something, but it's much more important to win the biggest tournaments than to win more matches than you lose against your biggest rivals.

Lol, no, Nole will not always be asked that, especially since this was just his first Roland Garros final. Hard courts aren't all the same surface either: plexicushion plays vastly different from decoturf. By my estimation, each has won slam finals against the other on three surfaces.
Who said anything about the future? I certainly didn't. I only brought up 19-14 and his current 3-match win streak. "But, but, Nole will win more in the future!!!" That **** means nothing unless you're Nostradamus. Winning streaks ARE part of the head-to-head record.

I'm not just talking about the Finals. They've met 4 times at the French and Nole is 0-4. The fact is, Nadal has beaten him at Wimbledon and US. Obviously, Nole is winless at RG vs. Rafa and Rafa is winless at the Aussie against Nole. But that's the epitome of sample size since they've only met there once and it was a close match while their RG matches never reached the 5th set.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Dude don't waste your time with deficient mode, he's the biggest Nadal hater I've ever met....He's also a bonofied Feds fanboy which explains a lot....Djokovic looks like Screech for Christ's sake

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote