HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Do you wish there was some hostility in tennis?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-14-2012, 02:54 PM
  #26
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Dude don't waste your time with deficient mode, he's the biggest Nadal hater I've ever met....He's also a bonofied Feds fanboy which explains a lot....Djokovic looks like Screech for Christ's sake
Ahhh, another player that Nadal is beating head-to-head, I see. Nadal has a combined record of 37-24 against Nole and Feds and you're trying to convince everyone that your hatred for Nadal has nothing to do with the H2H record?

But I guess DM has the advantage here since Feds has 6 more GS titles. But with Nole, not so much.


Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 08-14-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:07 PM
  #27
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 6,894
vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Ahhh, another player that Nadal is beating head-to-head, I see. Nadal has a combined record of 37-24 against Nole and Feds and you're trying to convince everyone that your hatred for Nadal has nothing to do with the H2H record?

But I guess DM has the advantage here since Feds has 6 more GS titles. But with Nole, not so much.
Nah his hatred for Nadal is because Nadal is a "fake" because he fakes his humility do to the fact that he bought himself a sports car and wears a 500k watch to play (publicity contract) ...I'm not making this up these are legitimate reasons deficient mode has used against Nadal lol

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:22 PM
  #28
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Dude don't waste your time with deficient mode, he's the biggest Nadal hater I've ever met....He's also a bonofied Feds fanboy which explains a lot....Djokovic looks like Screech for Christ's sake
lol "bonofied." I'm not a fan boy at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Ahhh, another player that Nadal is beating head-to-head, I see. Nadal has a combined record of 37-24 against Nole and Feds and you're trying to convince everyone that your hatred for Nadal has nothing to do with the H2H record?

But I guess DM has the advantage here since Feds has 6 more GS titles. But with Nole, not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Nah his hatred for Nadal is because Nadal is a "fake" because he fakes his humility do to the fact that he bought himself a sports car and wears a 500k watch to play (publicity contract) ...I'm not making this up these are legitimate reasons deficient mode has used against Nadal lol
Oh look, people who barely follow tennis pretending to know why I hate Nadal when I've explained it on more than one occasion. Yawn... I've only clarified the comment about the car and the watch twice to you P, and you still just pull out that **** every time this comes up.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:35 PM
  #29
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,935
vCash: 500
Oh, now he's accusing us of barely following tennis! Maybe you only started watching tennis two years ago since Djokovic beating Nadal consistently is all that matters to you.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:41 PM
  #30
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Oh, now he's accusing us of barely following tennis! Maybe you only started watching tennis two years ago since Djokovic beating Nadal consistently is all that matters to you.
I never said that. I just said I very much enjoy watching Djokovic beat Nadal.

And regarding the watch, this and this were my comments.

Panteras doesn't follow the sport. S/he is a Spanish sympathizer and a Rafa fan, not a tennis fan.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:53 PM
  #31
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyeah View Post
Men's tennis is not nearly as good as it used to be. When you had Johnny Mac, Connors and guys like that, it was a much better sport to watch. Nowadays, and i'm no tennis expert by any means, but don't people say that the speed of the men's serves makes the game kind of 'boring' for lack of a better word? Isnt mens tennis all about serving?

At least in the women's game you get some rallies.
Erm, it's not the 90s anymore.

And regarding Djokovic/Nadal, a guy who got in into his prime several years before is leading the HtH? You can't explain that!

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:54 PM
  #32
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
I never said that. I just said I very much enjoy watching Djokovic beat Nadal.

And regarding the watch, this and this were my comments.

Panteras doesn't follow the sport. S/he is a Spanish sympathizer and a Rafa fan, not a tennis fan.
Of course, you didn't. I said that because when I brought up 19-14, you got all defensive with "but, but Djokovic has been beating him in the last two years now!". Hence, I said "that's all that matters to you." And deny it all you want, but 37-24 will piss you the **** off especially when that you have a strong dislike for that player.

And LOL @ your reasons to hate a tennis player. I really don't see any reason to hate a tennis player unless he/she shows childish attitudes on the court like Serena Williams and John McEnroe. Call me a Rafa fanboy, but I ain't a Feds/Nole hater. I'd rather be a fan boy that a hater. Whatever floats your boat.


Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 08-14-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:02 PM
  #33
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Of course, you didn't. I said that because when I brought up 19-14, you got all defensive with "but, but Djokovic has been beating him in the last two years now!". Hence, I said "that's all that matters to you."
That doesn't make sense at all.

Also I brought up the seven straight in response to the three straight, not the overall head to head.

Quote:
And LOL @ your reasons to hate a tennis player. I really don't see any reason to hate a tennis player unless he shows childish attitudes on the court like Serena Williams and John McEnroe. Call me a Rafa fanboy, but I ain't a Feds/Nole hater. I'd rather be a fan boy that a hater. Whatever floats your boat.
Childish like bumping someone on a changeover?

I hate a lot of players. Some of them are good, some of them are barely in the top 100, if that. My dislike of Nadal has nothing to do with his success against Federer. I won't say you're a fanboy, but if you're just watching the sport for one player, you're a fan of the player, not the sport.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:23 PM
  #34
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,991
vCash: 4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
lol "bonofied." I'm not a fan boy at all.
Why demur at the description? Haven't you self-described as an "extreme" supporter of Roger?

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:28 PM
  #35
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
That doesn't make sense at all.

Also I brought up the seven straight in response to the three straight, not the overall head to head.



Childish like bumping someone on a changeover?

I hate a lot of players. Some of them are good, some of them are barely in the top 100, if that. My dislike of Nadal has nothing to do with his success against Federer. I won't say you're a fanboy, but if you're just watching the sport for one player, you're a fan of the player, not the sport.
Please, one incident? And that compares to Serena Williams and John McEnroe's antics on the court (waiting for "I never said that" response)? You dislike him because of his playing style? LMAO. Newsflash: That playing style has given him 11 Grand Slam titles, along with an Olympic gold. What's not to like? As for his portrayal as the underdog, he was an underdog. I remember when he would get criticized for being a one-dimensional player that he can only win titles on clay. So yes, before he won at the Aussie, US, and Wimbledon, he was an underdog. "He looks ordinary on hard and grass." Those were odds that he had to overcome.

I said I brought up 19-14 and you got defensive, saying Nole has been winning in the last two years as if the previous years don't matter. I brought up 19-14. You know why? Because you said that you enjoy Nadal getting beaten up by Djok. So in a way, I was kinda telling you that, "well, Nadal has been beaten up by Djokovic 14 times while Nadal has returned the favor 19 times." And I really, really doubt that Rafa's 18-10 record against Feds has nothing to do with your dislike. I mean, you're cheering hard for Federer and you only ended up being happy 10 times out of the 28 times they've met. And I'm not saying that it's the only reason.

I watch the sport, but if there's one player that I don't want to miss watching, it's Rafa. As Serena Williams says, "You're a hater."


Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 08-14-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:35 PM
  #36
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Why demur at the description? Haven't you self-described as an "extreme" supporter of Roger?
No, I merely described myself as much more extreme than you, which - no offense intended - isn't saying much. Maybe I'm extreme, but a "fanboy" has more negative connotations than that, namely being affixed on one player at the expense of everything else. I don't make ridiculous and excessive claims about Federer's greatness, and I concede that it's possible not to view him as the GOAT. I don't hate every player who beats him or beats him repeatedly, and I certainly don't shape the whole list of players I hate in accordance with their success against him.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:45 PM
  #37
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Please, one incident? And that compares to Serena Williams and John McEnroe's antics on the court (waiting for "I never said that" response)?
How about "you never said that"? Since you didn't. And it's not one incident of childishness, really, it's just one incident of bumping an opponent on a changeover.

Quote:
I said I brought up 19-14 and you got defensive, saying Nole has been winning in the last two years as if the previous years don't matter. I brought up 19-14. You know why? Because you said that you enjoy Nadal getting beaten up by Djok. So in a way, I was kinda telling you that, "well, Nadal has been beaten up by Djokovic 14 times while Nadal has returned the favor 19 times." And I really, really doubt that Rafa's 18-10 record against Feds has nothing to do with your dislike. I mean, you're cheering hard for Federer and you only ended up being happy 10 times out of the 28 times they've met. And I'm not saying that it's the only reason.

I watch the sport, but if there's one player that I don't want to miss watching, it's Rafa. As Serena Williams says, "You're a hater."
Well, if you're quoting Serena, then you must be right.

You're welcome to enjoy Nadal's victories and you're welcome to say so, but if anyone was getting defensive, it was you. You're the one who brought up the head to head at all, who had to assert that Nadal has had the better career and has beaten Djokovic more often than not.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:52 PM
  #38
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
How about "you never said that"? Since you didn't. And it's not one incident of childishness, really, it's just one incident of bumping an opponent on a changeover.



Well, if you're quoting Serena, then you must be right.

You're welcome to enjoy Nadal's victories and you're welcome to say so, but if anyone was getting defensive, it was you. You're the one who brought up the head to head at all, who had to assert that Nadal has had the better career and has beaten Djokovic more often than not.
That's my point. It was not a childish act like what Serena has shown and McEnroe showed. Therefore, they're not comparable.

So I got defensive. I brought up the whole thing. Then I say you even got more defensive by bringing up a sample size.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:59 PM
  #39
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Then I say you even got more defensive by bringing up a sample size.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:53 PM
  #40
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,991
vCash: 4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
No, I merely described myself as much more extreme than you, which - no offense intended - isn't saying much. Maybe I'm extreme, but a "fanboy" has more negative connotations than that, namely being affixed on one player at the expense of everything else. I don't make ridiculous and excessive claims about Federer's greatness, and I concede that it's possible not to view him as the GOAT. I don't hate every player who beats him or beats him repeatedly, and I certainly don't shape the whole list of players I hate in accordance with their success against him.
I concede that I'm not an "extreme" fan of any player as it seems a self-limiting way to experience the fullness of the game. But you do seem a little fervent in the way you root for Roger sometimes--I believe you mentioned his play against Del Potro in the Olympics made it impossible for you to enjoy the match. That seemed a fanboy response to me, but your clarification tempers that impression somewhat.

How about ridiculous and excessive claims against Nadal, though? Would those statements not suggest that in his case you are a negative "fanboy" of Rafa?

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:16 PM
  #41
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I concede that I'm not an "extreme" fan of any player as it seems a self-limiting way to experience the fullness of the game. But you do seem a little fervent in the way you root for Roger sometimes--I believe you mentioned his play against Del Potro in the Olympics made it impossible for you to enjoy the match. That seemed a fanboy response to me, but your clarification tempers that impression somewhat.
I get that way with more players than just Fed. Especially if someone is playing a match in a fashion in which I've seen him lose many matches before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
How about ridiculous and excessive claims against Nadal, though? Would those statements not suggest that in his case you are a negative "fanboy" of Rafa?
I don't denigrate what Rafa has done as a tennis player, which would be part of the inverse "fanboy" as inflating a player's accomplishments would belong to the "fanboy". Maybe I downplay his achievements slightly, but most of my "ridiculous" claims are about his behavior on and off the court, and his playing style.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:26 PM
  #42
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 6,894
vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
lol "bonofied." I'm not a fan boy at all.
ohhh snaaap!!! I made a typo through my iphone on an internet forum, how can I live with myself now??
-------------------------------------------
desperate much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Oh look, people who barely follow tennis pretending to know why I hate Nadal when I've explained it on more than one occasion. Yawn... I've only clarified the comment about the car and the watch twice to you P, and you still just pull out that **** every time this comes up.
oh look, obvious red herring is obvious....for your info I do follow tennis, perhaps not as much as you claim to do, but it doesn't mean that you use ridiculous excuses to hate on a player

yes dm, you have actually clarified your comment, by admitting that your assumptions about Nadal are both baseless and irrational thank you very much


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post

Panteras doesn't follow the sport. S/he is a Spanish sympathizer and a Rafa fan, not a tennis fan.

ohh please do tell, what will I have for lunch tomorrow "all knowing one"??

The fact is that I do follow tennis as I have already admitted perhaps not as much as apparently you claim to do..but nonetheless I do.. and I most certainly I'm a fan of tennis, it's on my top 3 favorite sports...and also the fact is that I have never and I currently don't support any other Spanish player in tennis.. for example I don't give a crap about Ferrer, Almagro or Verdasco and never cared for Moya or Corretja etc...

Nadal is indeed my fav. tennis player atm, but I would never ever hate on Federer, because he is the goat, and a total class act all around....Djokovic has a lot going to hate him (as far as your criterias go), but he is an awesome player, and I could never deny that and I don't dislike him actually. In conclusion, I give credit where it is due, and don't hate on these players because they stand on Nadal's way. I'm not an utter fanboy like yourself.....you make ridiculous assumptions to hate on a player, and even if those were legit, the reason why you have "fanboy" written all over is because like it's been displayed in this thread, you're the kind that would argue anything against Nadal even if it's invalid....those are the traits of a fanboy, and of course of a hater

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:32 PM
  #43
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 6,894
vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
I don't denigrate what Rafa has done as a tennis player, which would be part of the inverse "fanboy" as inflating a player's accomplishments would belong to the "fanboy". Maybe I downplay his achievements slightly, but most of my "ridiculous" claims are about his behavior on and off the court, and his playing style.
if that was the case than why don't you speak so fervently about Djokovic? The shirt ripping fist pumping Hulk celebrations, his annoying frustrating whining rants and mannerism when things don't go his way, what about his overly annoying corner?

and off the court? Like what? Building an academy for poor kids in India....? lol wtf

and about playing style? This reminds me of the people who talk bad about Hasek....if Nadal is one of the best in history, what the heck do you want from him? That might be a legitimate way to dislike him as a tennis player, but it seems you just "hate" his whole persona...

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:50 PM
  #44
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,935
vCash: 500
Rafa's down-the-line forehand is a thing of beauty. One of the best shots in today's tennis.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:53 PM
  #45
Fighter
Legend
 
Fighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Trieste, Italy
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,348
vCash: 500
LMAO, who would have thought that what I started as a joke would turn into a heated debate?

BTW you don't take in consideration the nationality factors: spaniards are good to party, serbians are good for war

Nole would take the little weasel in a headlock and pound away...

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:17 AM
  #46
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 68,713
vCash: 50
I always found it funny that a while ago each player of the top three would have someone they could beat but Murray couldn't beat any of them.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:19 AM
  #47
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 6,894
vCash: 536
I would like to see Del Potro vs Isner

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:17 AM
  #48
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I always found it funny that a while ago each player of the top three would have someone they could beat but Murray couldn't beat any of them.
Yeah, and now Murray is arguably playing the best tennis of the four of them.

I'd still take Roger and Nole over him at the US Open, but I think at this point Andy is a scarier opponent at Flushing Meadows than Rafa with gimped-up knees.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:54 AM
  #49
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 68,713
vCash: 50
Yeah, at the moment I'd say it goes;

Djokovic
Federer/Murray
Murray/Federer
Nadal

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:17 PM
  #50
NMF78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Belgium
Country: Belgium
Posts: 546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyeah View Post
Men's tennis is not nearly as good as it used to be. When you had Johnny Mac, Connors and guys like that, it was a much better sport to watch. Nowadays, and i'm no tennis expert by any means, but don't people say that the speed of the men's serves makes the game kind of 'boring' for lack of a better word? Isnt mens tennis all about serving?

At least in the women's game you get some rallies.
You couldn't be more wrong. Men's tennis has never been better, basically we now have 3 all time great still playing. and if you bother watching games with those guys you would know its not all big serves. Women's tennis is crap btw.

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.