HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues Top Prospect #8

View Poll Results: #8
Brett Ponich, D 2 4.26%
Sam Kurker, RW 2 4.26%
Cade Fairchild, D 29 61.70%
Philip McRae, C 7 14.89%
Joel Edmunson, D 1 2.13%
MacKenzie MacEachern, LW 0 0%
Sebastian Wannstrom, RW 1 2.13%
Dmitri Jaskin, RW 1 2.13%
Jori Lehtera, C 3 6.38%
Yannick Veilleux, LW 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-13-2012, 06:09 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
St. Louis Blues Top Prospect #8

And Jani Hakanpaa wins it easily, with 64.71% of the vote

Top Prospects
#1 Vladimir Tarasenko, RW, 6'0, 191, 12/13/1991 (92.16%)
#2 Jaden Schwartz, LW, 5'9, 179, 6/25/1992 (92.5%)
#3 Ty Rattie, RW, 6'0, 167, 2/5/1993 (57.38%)
#4 Ian Cole, D, 6'1, 225, 2/21/1989 (75.61%)
#5 Jake Allen, G, 6'2, 195, 8/7/1990 (73.33%)
#6 Jordan Schmaltz, D, 6'2, 170, 10/8/1993 (38.1%)
#7 Jani Hakanpaa, D, 6'5, 218, 3/31/1992 (64.71%)

Please both vote and comment on who you'd like to be added next.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Lifetimebluesfan

McCrae? Or does he even belong in the top 10?

Lifetimebluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:11 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimebluesfan View Post
What's your question? He is on the list to be voted upon.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:17 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Went with Fairchild. McRae needs a big year this year though.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
This one was Fairchild pretty easily

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:21 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimebluesfan View Post
My choice here was Fairchild. He had a great year with the Rivermen and proved himself with an outstanding year. +/- is huge for team in which no other defenseman on the Rivermen even got close to those numbers. He at least gives us a valuable first call up. Not so sure I would want him riding the pine, but being the #1 or #2 guy for the Rivermen another year. Size, skill, and game may not transfer to the next level, but he deserves the opportunity to at least find out whether here or somewhere else. MacRae is a close 2nd. Call this a moneyball pick.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Robb_K

After a LOT of agonizing, I reluctantly voted for Fairchild here, ever-so-slightly ahead of Phil McRae. I am loathe to do such a thing, because I know that the complete well-rounded development of a defenceman is much more critical to a team than is that of a forward. Fairchild is really no closer to winning a regular NHL defensive shift position than McRae is to winning a Top 9 forward line position.

And, although both of their games have several holes, that if filled, each will have good all-around games, I went with Fairchild, due to his upside as an offensive defenceman. IF (and that's a VERY big if) Fairchild can gain a lot of strength, learn positioning well, improve his defensive awareness and add a lot more physicality and some more "toughness" to his game, he'd be worth more as a high-quality 2-way D-man, than McRae would, even as a 50-60 point 2nd line centre (should he progress that far). So Fairchild wins by a hair, based on greater upside potential value (despite the higher risk of his reaching that level).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Novacain

To be honest, as much as I love Jani, I could have probably put together a case for Fairchild to be 5th on this list, and he certainly should be above anyone else.

Our fanbase on this site seems to have a lot lower expectations for McRae then most other places. That or we think our defensive depth chart is really really good, which is also true.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:28 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
After a LOT of agonizing, I reluctantly voted for Fairchild here, ever-so-slightly ahead of Phil McRae. I am loathe to do such a thing, because I know that the complete well-rounded development of a defenceman is much more critical to a team than is that of a forward. Fairchild is really no closer to winning a regular NHL defensive shift position than McRae is to winning a Top 9 forward line position.

And, although both of their games have several holes, that if filled, each will have good all-around games, I went with Fairchild, due to his upside as an offensive defenceman. IF (and that's a VERY big if) Fairchild can gain a lot of strength, learn positioning well, improve his defensive awareness and add a lot more physicality and some more "toughness" to his game, he'd be worth more as a high-quality 2-way D-man, than McRae would, even as a 50-60 point 2nd line centre (should he progress that far). So Fairchild wins by a hair, based on greater upside potential value (despite the higher risk of his reaching that level).
Not a fan of smallish defensemen? +/- is pretty good for someone not to at least be in the right place to make or break up a play. You have probably seen him far more than I have... Is the +/- stat for him just lucky? He obviously isn't a bruiser. His offensive numbers are...ok. They didn't score much

Old
08-13-2012, 08:40 PM
STL fan in IA

A pretty easy vote for Fairchild for me here. He's a very good bet to develop into a 3rd pairing d-man, possibly 2nd pairing d-man. I'll probably vote for Wannstrom or McRae next.

Please add either Grachev or Tesink next.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Bluesnatic27

The only reason I did not vote for Lehtera was because of the giant question mark of him ever coming here, arguably the most skilled prospect that is left. So I went with Fairchild just because of where he is now in his development. My next vote will be between MacEachern, McRae, and Edmundson with Wannstrom's name floating in there somewhere.

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:54 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
The only reason I did not vote for Lehtera was because of the giant question mark of him ever coming here, arguably the most skilled prospect that is left. So I went with Fairchild just because of where he is now in his development. My next vote will be between MacEachern, McRae, and Edmundson with Wannstrom's name floating in there somewhere.
Wannstrom is interesting as I really don't know where he fits in on the prospect list. He is a high pick coming from a very good league. He is signed and will be here....Does he surpass MacRae on speculation or do you give MacRae credit for putting up 23 goals and his skill set?

Old
08-14-2012, 08:09 AM
sdaltons

I have to stop reading the posts in the thread before i cast my vote. Voted Fairchild, but went in thinking McRae.

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:01 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
I have to stop reading the posts in the thread before i cast my vote. Voted Fairchild, but went in thinking McRae.
Let the rest of us influence ya, eh?

I'm hoping McRae can take a good step forward this season. I still see him as having 3rd line potential but I think he's going I have a hard time cracking the Blues' lineup anytime soon.

FYI, Jaskin's first name has a J in it - Dmitrij.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:18 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
My solution is that I just don't vote. I'm interested in what certain educated fans think, and I just enjoy talking about the players.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:49 PM
stlweir

I don't think McRae is that far behind Fairchild so he is next on my list. Fairchild had an impressive season in Peoria and did not look out of place when he got some ice time with the Blues. At some point add Cody Beach.

Last edited by stlweir: 08-15-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: addition
stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Wannstrom is interesting as I really don't know where he fits in on the prospect list. He is a high pick coming from a very good league. He is signed and will be here....Does he surpass MacRae on speculation or do you give MacRae credit for putting up 23 goals and his skill set?
That's a good question. I think I would pick McRae just because I know where his development is relative to Wannstrom. Wannstrom has been playing in an elite league and has not registered any impressive numbers, but as others point out, he's been playing on a bottom line role for most of his time in the elite club (I think, not entirely sure though) and so his stats could what role he has been given. So for now my nod goes to McRae because oh his time in the AHL, but that could change if Wannstrom puts up some decent numbers in Peoria and shows he can play a North American game

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:08 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
I doubt he comes over either, but Lehtera does still belong in the Top 10 IMO. He's a boom or bust project and if the Blues were ready to give up on him then I don't think they would have re-signed him this Summer. With his injury there was almost no way he could prepare to make the jump this year even if he wanted to. I will admit the chance of it ever happening is very small, but just for the fact that there is that small possibility I think he deserves to stay in the mix.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:56 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
I doubt he comes over either, but Lehtera does still belong in the Top 10 IMO. He's a boom or bust project and if the Blues were ready to give up on him then I don't think they would have re-signed him this Summer. With his injury there was almost no way he could prepare to make the jump this year even if he wanted to. I will admit the chance of it ever happening is very small, but just for the fact that there is that small possibility I think he deserves to stay in the mix.
Lehtera wasn't re-signed this summer. He declined signing a contract so the Blues just tendered him a qualifying offer to retain his rights. He deserves to stay in the mix but not quite in the top 10 due to how unlikely it is that I think he'll ever become an NHLer.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:42 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Lehtera wasn't re-signed this summer. He declined signing a contract so the Blues just tendered him a qualifying offer to retain his rights. He deserves to stay in the mix but not quite in the top 10 due to how unlikely it is that I think he'll ever become an NHLer.
Thanks for clearing that up. To me though, the whole "likeliness" factor is somewhat of a moot point. When you look at the percentages of how many of these prospects actually do make it to the NHL then you realize how small of a chance most of these guys really have. I guess it's just a matter of opinion, I just feel it shouldn't factor in too much to where you rank these guys. I like the idea of ranking them more on skill-set/ Etc, and I feel that as long as they are Blues prospects they all have a chance of making it. A good example is Nikita Nikitin.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Fairchild looked good in the games I saw of him last year. Reliable call up and soon to be full timer for us

Christmas Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

I wish McRae could be #8 or higher, because god know that we need some center depth, but I had to go with Fairchild.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:11 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. To me though, the whole "likeliness" factor is somewhat of a moot point. When you look at the percentages of how many of these prospects actually do make it to the NHL then you realize how small of a chance most of these guys really have. I guess it's just a matter of opinion, I just feel it shouldn't factor in too much to where you rank these guys. I like the idea of ranking them more on skill-set/ Etc, and I feel that as long as they are Blues prospects they all have a chance of making it. A good example is Nikita Nikitin.
I quests I just don't see why a player's likeliness to become an NHLer shouldn't be factored in. Nikitin was an aberration. Why ignore things just because there's an exception to the rule every now and then? That's what makes this an inexact science. Ignoring likeliness to become an NHLer when rating prospects would be like a bank ignoring their opinion on the likeliness of a loan to default when rating their loan portfolio. Just because every now and then a highly rated loan goes into default or a highly rated loan all of a sudden gets paid off doesn't mean that banks should ignore the rating process altogether just because there were a few exceptions. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and can vote whatever way you want but I see no reason to not include such risk factors, even if they are just opinions.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:23 PM
ChicagoBlues

Cade Fairchild

----------------

I think McRae is next and then I've Jaskin at #10.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 08-15-2012 at 05:32 PM.
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:16 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Fairchild the obvious choice at #8

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote