HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 96-99 Senators

Old
07-18-2012, 12:22 AM
DonthaveaCOWEN

vCash: 500
Your 96-99 Senators

I realize that this past draft was what, 1994 birth dates? That would make kids in grade 11,12, 1st year college, etc. 3 or under the first time our sens made the playoffs. I would have been young myself (having to enjoy pepsi instead of lager ) but I do remember a lot about our first 2 years making the playoffs from making the p.o's in the final game of the season and the heartbreaker in game 7 against buffalo through Tuggers broken mitt, to gloriously upsetting 1st seed New Jersey in the first round.

Anyways, in the dog days of summer I'd figure we'd give some of our readers who were just born (hell some of them might have been conceived as a result of our inaugural playoff clinch y)
and missed some of the good times of the late 90's (after many years of hard times in the early 90s) a little rundown on what it was like to be a Sens fan during this period. Just shooting out ideas or topics here...feel free to add your favourite moments/personal recollection, VIDEOS, topics, players, and so forth. (elaborate on these and add your own)

1. Playing at the Ottawa Civic Center
2. The infamous Damien Rhodes, Ron Tuggnutt Duo
3. Ottawa Clinches their first trip to the playoff
4. Ottawa's first playoffs/Tom Chorkske "Buddha"
5. Sens Upset 1st Seed Devils
6. Inaugural Game at "The Palladium"
7. Sens 2nd best enforcer ever, Denis Vial
8. One that I personally don't recall, was the Bryan Berard fiasco that led to the Redden trade. If someone could please give me the rundown on what happened there, and how the eventual trade transpired that would be great.

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:32 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Berard refused to sign here because he felt we were a bottom feeder; it was also the year Yashin held out on his contract.

The Sens flipped him in a three way trade with the Islanders and Leafs in January of 96 (half a year after he was drafted). I believe it was Berard, Don Beaupre, and Marty Straka to the Islanders from Ottawa, who traded Beaupre and Kirk Muller to the Leafs for Damian Rhodes and Ken Belanger. Rhodes and Redden then became the return for Ottawa.

07-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
I got hard core into the Sens in the 98/99 season. That year my favourite player was Andreas Johansson. Met him at the Sens fan day and he scored some big goals.

as a kid though Denny Lambert was my idol. I loved the way he played. The the original Chris Neil.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:55 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

-Ofcourse, the Yashin holdout
-Lindros trying to murder Dackell
-McEachern-Yashin-Dackell
-The great Bill Berg (Also remember him scoring a goal that went trough the back of the net)
-Havlat was the first player I actually watched get drafted, and I also vividly remember his 1st NHL goal (against Cujo and the Leafs)
-Chris Phillips getting tried as a forward a few times
-Magnus Arvedson getting nominated for the Selke, he was also my fav player during this era.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Lets also not forget but try to forget the reason why Ricard Persson will never be allowed in the city again. It's post 99 but still. BURN PERSSON BURN!

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:06 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Don't remember

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Lazarrr

My dad plays mens league with Tugnutt and always chirps him about the glove.

Lazarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:14 AM
DonthaveaCOWEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Lets also not forget but try to forget the reason why Ricard Persson will never be allowed in the city again. It's post 99 but still. BURN PERSSON BURN!
OMG! Following Alfie's beautiful boarding on Darcy Tucker Mother...... and goal in Game 5 and our 2 goals within the first what, 6 minutes of game 6 and Perrson goes and boards Domi and gets 5 minutes. I hold that to the same level of the cubs fan who grabbed the ball

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:48 AM
The Flower
Feel Aflie's Wrath!

Quote:
I feel pretty comfortable saying that Domi dove head first into the boards when he felt Persson's hands on his back and Rico is not to be blamed. Domi was still furious from game 5 that's Alfie's hit on Tucker wasn't called and he took the game into his own hands. As much as I hated him, you got hand it to the wiley vet. The Leafs were down 2-0 and on the verge of being eliminated and Domi drew a 5 minute powerplay to help his team gain back momentum. The Leafs scored 2 goals on the pp to tie the game up and they never looked back.

But that was the difference between the Leafs and Sens back then. They had players who would do ANYTHING to win and the Sens were known for being soft and well, submissive. Lol, I actually feel bad for Persson. Domi sacrificed his face to save his team and Persson is the victim. Epic. I can't back it up (so take it for what it's worth), but I'm pretty sure there's a sound bite or media clipping where Domi goes on a rant about the Alfie "non call" and promises to take things into his own hands to even the score. When Persson "hit" him from behind and the 5 minute major was called, I remember thinking to myself, wow, Domi just pulled a Babe Ruth. He called his own frickin' shot lol. Unbelievable!

The Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Niv
Registered Hater

vCash: 1004

EDIT: Is that Elisha Cuthbert at 0:48?

Niv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:24 AM
Benny FTW
44.jgp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaFanBen View Post

Elisha Cuthbert would be like 12 or 10 than so yes i think it was.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:23 AM
great1

Quote:
I am almost sure that it isn't her. That video would have been from when she was still doing Popular Mechanics for Kids and her hair would have been long at that time.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:05 AM
OgieO

I went to the second home playoff game when Alfie scored in OT for a 1-0 win. That building was INSANE. Pre-game, during the game, post game. IN. SANE.

One of the greatest moments in my life (other than that birth of children & marriage stuff...).

Sidebar - I actually play in the same beer league as Dennis Vial. He still wears his Sens helmet.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Synthetek

Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
The years I use to kill my friends when I used the Sens on NHL Playstation.

Synthetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:55 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I went to a couple of games at the civic center, and I overheard quite possibly the best one liner of all time while exiting the building.

As anyone that has been there knows, there is a certain stench that permeates the air at the civic center. Some kind of popcornesque scent.

Anyway, as I was leaving, I ended up walking close to a man and his son (I assume) and the kid says "daddy, what's that smell?" and without missing a beat, the dad says "that's the smell of defeat"

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Nothing will ever, ever top this moment for me.

The excitement surrounding the Sens in Ottawa in the late 90s, finally having a competitive team after years of misery, surpassed the levels brought on in years like 2006 and 2007 when we were "supposed" to win. This town was just elated to be in the playoffs, and finding ourselves a win away from taking down the Eastern Conference champions (with analysts two weeks prior making predictions like "New Jersey in three") was beyond anything we could have imagined.

I was fortunate enough to be at this game (I never bothered to keep the ticket stub, but I don't need a little piece of cardboard to remind me 14 years later that I sat in Section 309, Row O, Seat 12), and I've never felt excitement like this at a hockey game. Ottawa took a 2-1 lead on a controversial goal with about 10 minutes left, and as the minutes ticked down, the excitement of holy-crap-this-is-really-gonna-happen manifested itself as a low din among the crowd, which turned to a roar with two minutes remaining as the crowd rose to its feet and serenaded Brodeur & Co. with na-na-hey-hey-goodbye. Anytime you're in the building and you get to sing that (excluding in Montreal - they'll do it with a 1-0 lead in the first period in a mid-Novermber game against the Blues ) is a truly special moment as a hockey fan.

The crowd damn near blew the lid off the barn as Richard Proulx announced that just one minute seperated the Senators from a flight to Washington DC, and it was at that point that Shaun Van Allen found himself streaking down the left wing alongside Igor Kravchuck with Brodeur on the bench and just one man to beat.

And then bedlam.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:22 AM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Nothing will ever, ever top this moment for me.

The excitement surrounding the Sens in Ottawa in the late 90s, finally having a competitive team after years of misery, surpassed the levels brought on in years like 2006 and 2007 when we were "supposed" to win. This town was just elated to be in the playoffs, and finding ourselves a win away from taking down the Eastern Conference champions (with analysts two weeks prior making predictions like "New Jersey in three") was beyond anything we could have imagined.

I was fortunate enough to be at this game (I never bothered to keep the ticket stub, but I don't need a little piece of cardboard to remind me 14 years later that I sat in Section 309, Row O, Seat 12), and I've never felt excitement like this at a hockey game. Ottawa took a 2-1 lead on a controversial goal with about 10 minutes left, and as the minutes ticked down, the excitement of holy-crap-this-is-really-gonna-happen manifested itself as a low din among the crowd, which turned to a roar with two minutes remaining as the crowd rose to its feet and serenaded Brodeur & Co. with na-na-hey-hey-goodbye. Anytime you're in the building and you get to sing that (excluding in Montreal - they'll do it with a 1-0 lead in the first period in a mid-Novermber game against the Blues ) is a truly special moment as a hockey fan.

The crowd damn near blew the lid off the barn as Richard Proulx announced that just one minute seperated the Senators from a flight to Washington DC, and it was at that point that Shaun Van Allen found himself streaking down the left wing alongside Igor Kravchuck with Brodeur on the bench and just one man to beat.

And then bedlam.
I was at this game too! I was like 9 years old at the time and it was my first ever playoff game (remind me to thank my dad for that next time I'm in Ottawa). I remember being totally and completely in awe of that crowd, especially when everyone was waving their woo-hoo towels together. It was easily the most surreal experience I can remember in my life.

A few other great memories:
- Mike Fisher coming into the league as this little skinny kid in 1999, and Randy Lee turning him into a beast within a year.
- Sens management rewriting the rule book by coming out and straight up admitting to tanking for high draft picks. I still think that was hilariously honest of them.
- Rhodes vs. Tugger is one of my favorite memories. Was always a big Tugnutt supporter.
- Alfie coming out of nowhere and winning the Calder!
- Hossa is the first prospect I remember following. There was lots of excitement around him for sure. At first I didn't like the fact that he had a girl's name haha. I remember being Hossa while playing road hockey before he ever played a game for the Sens.

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
I remember watching that game thinking that we had the series in the bag and then that happens. What a donkey!

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

I was 10 years old when the Sens played their first season, my dad had two seasons tickets at centre ice for the years we played in Old Ottawa South.

I was at the first Sens Exhibition game against the Washington Capitals at the Civic Centre, they had a Capital Cup they played for in a home and away series (not sure how long it lasted). We lost 4-3 in OT.

I was also at the first Sens regular season game, and remember it very well, had a crazy atmosphere (from a 10 year olds perspective). I remember some drunk sitting next to me asking me if I was done eating my popcorn, and I said yes, after which he grabbed it and through it at the ref, and actually hit him. Despite wishing I had my popcorn still, I remember finding it amusing that a ref had to pick up pieces of popcorn on the ice. I also remember taking a polaroid camera to the game and taking pictures. I'll have to try and dig those up!

The opening ceremony for the first game was pretty cool, Roman pillars hung down, Alanis sang O Canada (I think), Frank Finnigan was there, and I think they raised all the SC banners that night too.

I also saw a tie with Quebec that season, and many, many, many bad games, lol. My dad still has a bunch of clippings from the citizen, who did profiles of all the 'stars' that played for Ottawa that first year.

The Zamboni guys use to dress up in a Tux, and I think even in mascot type costumes for a bit (could be wrong though).

The scoreboard at the civic centre was old school. I remember reading the posts about Scotiabank needing a new scoreboard, cause the then current one was crap...and thinking it has nothing on the old civic centre board!

I remember the 94-95 lockout, and still have all the printed, unused season tickets from that year.

I remember they use to publish a monthly Sens magazine called Bodycheck, now they don't even publish a freaking Media Guide anymore....

I remember drafting Daigle, and the hype around him, and the bad press we got from his contract.

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:37 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
I was 10 years old when the Sens played their first season, my dad had two seasons tickets at centre ice for the years we played in Old Ottawa South.

I was at the first Sens Exhibition game against the Washington Capitals at the Civic Centre, they had a Capital Cup they played for in a home and away series (not sure how long it lasted). We lost 4-3 in OT.

I was also at the first Sens regular season game, and remember it very well, had a crazy atmosphere (from a 10 year olds perspective). I remember some drunk sitting next to me asking me if I was done eating my popcorn, and I said yes, after which he grabbed it and through it at the ref, and actually hit him. Despite wishing I had my popcorn still, I remember finding it amusing that a ref had to pick up pieces of popcorn on the ice. I also remember taking a polaroid camera to the game and taking pictures. I'll have to try and dig those up!

The opening ceremony for the first game was pretty cool, Roman pillars hung down, Alanis sang O Canada (I think), Frank Finnigan was there, and I think they raised all the SC banners that night too.

I also saw a tie with Quebec that season, and many, many, many bad games, lol. My dad still has a bunch of clippings from the citizen, who did profiles of all the 'stars' that played for Ottawa that first year.

The Zamboni guys use to dress up in a Tux, and I think even in mascot type costumes for a bit (could be wrong though).

The scoreboard at the civic centre was old school. I remember reading the posts about Scotiabank needing a new scoreboard, cause the then current one was crap...and thinking it has nothing on the old civic centre board!

I remember the 94-95 lockout, and still have all the printed, unused season tickets from that year.

I remember they use to publish a monthly Sens magazine called Bodycheck, now they don't even publish a freaking Media Guide anymore....

I remember drafting Daigle, and the hype around him, and the bad press we got from his contract.
I have a bunch of "bodycheck" magazines somewhere. I remember one that on the front picture was an orchestra...only it wasn't musicians...it was senators players in tuxes pretending to play music or something. But yeah, definitely remember those bodycheck magazines lol

Do they still do "skate with the senators"? I went in 97 and in 98.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:23 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I remember the zamboni guy with the long hair and the tux...

Go knows where he is these days.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Joe Pesky
#peskysens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post

- Sens management rewriting the rule book by coming out and straight up admitting to tanking for high draft picks. I still think that was hilariously honest of them.
When/where did this happen? I must have missed it.

Joe Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:43 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
I have a bunch of "bodycheck" magazines somewhere. I remember one that on the front picture was an orchestra...only it wasn't musicians...it was senators players in tuxes pretending to play music or something. But yeah, definitely remember those bodycheck magazines lol

Do they still do "skate with the senators"? I went in 97 and in 98.
Jacques Martin was the orchestra conductor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by House That Rod Built View Post
When/where did this happen? I must have missed it.
The only thing I can find on it now is from Wikipedia but I didn't search very hard. I'm sure you could dig up some old articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...992.E2.80.9393

Quote:
Among the disappointments during the early years of the resurrected Senators was Alexandre Daigle, the number one overall pick in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft. During the 1992–93 season, it had become clear that Daigle would be the number one pick. The Quebec Nordiques publicly announced that they would trade several players for him, as they wished to build a new arena and needed a marquee francophone player. As the season progressed, both the Senators and the San Jose Sharks were neck and neck in last place, and at that time, NHL rules meant the worst team would get the first pick. This 'competition' was variously dubbed the 'Daigle Cup' and the 'Yelnats Puc'.[25]
Near the end of the season, the Senators would call other teams to ask for their opponent's best players to be playing them in upcoming matches, making plans to field a weaker squad if their opponent did so also.[25] The club made no trades to improve its position, not wanting to lose the number one pick. After the season, Bruce Firestone would make comments to the press about how the team deliberately lost games, expecting that comments would be 'off the record'. Instead, his comments were reported, the NHL investigated, and the team was fined $100,000 for his comments.[25] The NHL changed its rules as of the 1995 Draft so that a lottery would be held for the top draft picks.[26][27]

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Joe Pesky
#peskysens

I remember the incident and that Firestone was alleged to have made comments that they tanked the final game of the season. I misinterpreted your comments and thought you were saying that they had officially admitted to doing so. I believe the NHL investigation found no evidence but, obviously, brought in the draft lottery later to prevent such activity.

Joe Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
The NHL changed its rules as of the 1995 Draft so that a lottery would be held for the top draft picks.
Weren't the rules for rookie contracts changed as a result of the obscene amount of money we threw at Daigle?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote