HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Youth springs eternal (with this team anyway)

Old
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Youth springs eternal (with this team anyway)

Enough of the divided fan-base Weber v. Poile talk.

Who is the young player you have the highest hopes for this season.

I'm going to go with Josi.

At times last season he looked not only good but superstar good. I didn't by the hype at first but the more I watched him, the better he seemed to get.

After that, I'm going to go Halischuk. No one did more with the ice time he was given.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:44 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Wilson. Time for him to be that #1 pick...

last year he started to get it. then thought he had it figured out and backslid.

after two years in the doghouse this year he should finally get it, though for trotz it may feel like kicking a cinder block... you can move it, but its slow and painful...

also we will find out what Blum is made of.... I hope he pulls an Erat and returns fully mature and ready after a year in exile...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Roman "The Swiss" Josi. He needs to be the guy that largely replaces Suter, and he can do it.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:38 AM
codeman00

Craig Smith....huge upside.

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

If we don't sign a vet D, Jon Blum's play will determine if we make the playoffs.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:01 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
If we don't sign a vet D, Jon Blum's play will determine if we make the playoffs.
I agree. I hope last year was a slap in the face and he comes back to form. I think he will, but I've been wrong before.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:28 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

All of them. Bourque really impressed last season so I hope he can only improve.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Shea Weber

That's whats great about this team right now. Theres lots.

Josi, Wilson, Smith, Hali, Ellis, Bourque have all been mentioned and all deserve it.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Legionnaire11

So many to be excited about... Wilson, Smith, Bourque, Josi lead the pack for me with Halischuk, Spaling, Ellis and Blum right behind.

I'm very torn between Wilson and Josi, but i'll have to go with Josi because I feel like there's more riding on his performance this season than anyone else.

If we add a #2 capable D-man this summer, then i'd change to Wilson.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Bourque is a curious case for sure. Outside of Nashville, he is totally unheard of, but he was a great 3rd liner last year that looked like he could easily have 2nd line potential. I'm curious to see how his development rivals the hyped-up guys like Smith, Wilson, Watson, Beck, etc.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

If I had to pick one, it would be Josi. The Swiss Mister could play a major role for this team this year, and I think he has earned the confidence of the coaching staff to at least get that chance.

Wilson, I'm not so sure about. I think this is a crucial year for his development. I'd like to see Smith make good on what he showed before he roofed that empty netter, but a 45 point season would be satisfactory.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Josi then Wilson with Smith a considerable distance behind them both.

I think Bourque will end up being a Darren Helm-esque 3/4 line grinder with great speed and effort, but no Datsyukian skills. As such, if he plays just slightly better than he did last year, I would say he's performing fairly close to his ceiling; he was great last year.

Blum and Ellis are huge wildcards. Them stepping up or falling on their faces could make or break next season given our non-existent blueline depth.

Cashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
SilasAdams

Josi, Ellis, Blum, even Ekholm

Wilson, Smith, Bourque, Latta

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Blum. He HAS to step up.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:38 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Either Wilson is trade bait or finally steps up.

And Blum needs to work.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:13 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
Blum. He HAS to step up.
Agree 100% with this.

There's enough interchangeable forward depth that if Wilson/Smith/etc don't perform, then we can cover for that.

If Blum is as bad as last year, that's a huge hole on D. And that's if Josi is as good as we think he'll be. If Josi and Blum falter, we're screwed.

If Blum is as good as he was the year before, the I don't think we miss Suter one bit with the growth of Josi, a full year of Gill, and Blum playing up to his potential.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

l think it falls on Josi, Blum and Ellis. That's half our blue line. If they perform well, not great, not poorly, we should be good. They all need to become the players we believe they can be.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
l think it falls on Josi, Blum and Ellis. That's half our blue line. If they perform well, not great, not poorly, we should be good. They all need to become the players we believe they can be.
it does seem like a setup year. Last season we went youth at forward with Smith, Halischuk, Spaling, Bourque... now it's on the defense with Blum, Josi and Ellis. Having to give Weber $27M means this is a good time to get the growing pains out of the way. In another season or two this could be one scary roster, just in time for the owners to start making back some money on the Weber contract.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:15 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
it does seem like a setup year. Last season we went youth at forward with Smith, Halischuk, Spaling, Bourque... now it's on the defense with Blum, Josi and Ellis. Having to give Weber $27M means this is a good time to get the growing pains out of the way. In another season or two this could be one scary roster, just in time for the owners to start making back some money on the Weber contract.
I don't think this is a growing pains year. Blum knows what it takes now to stick in the NHL. As someone said earlier, hopefully he learned his lesson as well as Erat. Josi is mature beyond his years and as long as he plays within himself and we don't put the expectations of him having to be Suter right out of the gate, he should be great with Weber. Ellis has the intangibles that every coach loves and between him and Josi joining the PP, I think we may be better than we were with Suter.

There will be some growing pains but after game 20 I suspect these guys will have their feet wet and will step up. I think this is more of a retool and I expect this team to fight St. Louis and Chicago for the Central Division title. I think the forwards will continue to grow and get better and the vets on this team will be the steadying influence the younger guys need.

I also think now that the contract situations of Weber and Suter are now a thing of the past, everyone will be able to focus a little more clearly.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote