Fantasy Football Advice/Roster Discussion Thread 2012

Old
09-07-2012, 10:30 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorf View Post
I've worked out a trade with the guy who won the league last year. I think it is in my favor, but I can't help but think that he has some sort of trick up his sleeve.

Here is my current roster:
Brady

Jamaal Charles
Michael Turner
Mark Ingram

Danny Amendola
Andre Johnson
Robert Meachem
Hayward-Bey
Randy Moss

Antonio Gates
Brent Celek

Backup qb is Carson Palmer

Ok. Here's the trade.

Danny Amendola + Jamaal Charles + 7th round pick

For

Marquis Colston + Ryan Matthews + 11th round pick

Losing the 7th pick sucks because that is more or less the cutoff of good players in my league. There are 12 teams.
Also, Colston has a mystery foot injury.

What do you guys think? I know that I have some risky WRs. Lots of boom or bust picks. A healthy Colston would solidify that for me.

I guess I'm more concerned about next year...am I over analyzing?
that is pure robbery on your end....he cant have anything up his sleeve as the picks at those rounds arent even a deal breaker at all...

your getting the best 2 players in the deal, accept as soon as you can and move on....the only thing I can think of is he needs a RB to play this week with Matthews being hurt, but that deal is grossly in your favor right now and in the future...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:37 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Vincent Jackson or MJD for my flex? leaning towards VJax. PPR league.
VJAX...

MJD isnt going to see much playing time this week or likely next week as well...

Old
09-07-2012, 11:29 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

good news for the Saints defense....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...headline_stack

Vilma will likely be out for a while, but it does help them out a bit....waiver wire pick up at some point on defense

Old
09-07-2012, 11:32 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

considering I own Ryan Matthews in every league I am in....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...headline_stack

I figured he wasnt going to play week 1 as I picked up Ronnie Brown in all those leagues...no big deal as he will be rested and ready to go for week 2...

Old
09-07-2012, 11:38 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

for anyone thinking that Mendenhall is Superman....reality has set in and he will likely not play in week 1...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ers-vs-broncos

an amazing recovery no doubt, I figured he wouldnt come back until at least week 7.... it looks likely we will see him around week 3 for the Steelers....though never been a big fan of his, I wish him well for busting his ass the way he has

Old
09-08-2012, 01:53 AM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Taken from the roster thread so it doesn't get cluttered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
not going to get into a debate with you but Brees is not the most valuable player at #6. The math does not support the idea of selecting a QB that high in comparison to having an elite running back... the gap between Brees and a guy I get in the 7th round isnt as big of a difference as some want to believe....plus you only play one QB at a time...in most leagues, people use 3 RB's (one as a flex) and landing the elite of the elite in running backs is the mathematical advantage you will have as you are in a clear advantage over the herd with 3 overall spots instead of just one...
Again, keep in mind scoring settings. With 6 point passing TDs and the bonus for big yardage games, Brees has a huge advantage over guys like Vick, Cam, and any other second tier guy. The difference between Brees and the second/third tier guy you're taking in the 7th round is upwards of 10 points--the difference between Bush (NOT a guy I was targeting as a starter) and Forte/CJ2k is only about 5 points with our scoring. Pre-draft I ran a lot of mocks and projections and my teams with Brady/Brees always gave me better production with this league's settings, and Brady went 5th overall.

I was actually aiming for AP/Charles/Mathews/McFadden with my #26 pick, but Mathews went early in round 2 and the other guys went in a run right before my pick. In hindsight I should have taken Murray, Sproles, or SJax here, but at the time I was sure one would be on board at 35 (my money was on Sproles) and went with a guy guaranteed to give me 15-20 points in Jennings. Those guys went 30/31/32 and Richardson and Turner followed, so I went with Nicks. Nicks is a better pick here than Gore or Fred Jackson (I wanted Spiller later), and it was definitely a better option than reaching just because I needed a RB. I took Martin and Bush in round 5 and 6 because they were the best values to me. I didn't plan to end up with Bush a starter, but in a ppr league he has pretty decent value (13.5 ppg). As I said before, I'm looking to improve my RB situation but in the mean time my QB and receiving core has enough scoring power to keep me in games.

Quote:
I will guarantee that your team of Brees, Doug Martin, and Reggie Bush will lose 10 out of 10 times to my teams that I draft of Romo, McCoy and Murray by years end (assuming everyone stays relatively healthy ofcourse)....just using 3 guys as an example that I usually draft with Romo going around round 7.... the gap between McCoy/Murray and Martin/Bush is gigantic in the landscape of fantasy football...
What league are you taking McCoy at 6? If he were there I'd take him, but he wasn't. My options at the time were really Forte or CJ2k for RBs--not bad guys (I own each in a separate league), but I felt I could match their production in other rounds. I don't think MJD's holdout was over when we drafted (honestly don't remember), and Mathews went mid-20s in three other drafts so I was confident he'd be on board for me in round 3. Only other guy worth taking at this point is Calvin because he's a monster in our league, but WRs that early never work for me as I almost always find good values in sleepers and waiver pickups.

Quote:
if I am not saying this very clearly, then my apologies as its late and I have downed a few silver bullets....

to each their own in draft strategy, but I get giddy when people take QBs in round 1 in one starting QB leagues....

my draft strategy has served me very well over the years as I am sure yours has for you...so I will just keep my strategy to myself as I want to continue to win league championships...
I don't disagree for standard scoring, but this isn't a vanilla league. I never take a QB this high unless their value is too good to pass up--which I felt was the case this time. Guys like Brady, Brees, and Rodgers routinely carry their teams to victory in this league. My other teams look a lot more standard.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:32 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Vincent Jackson or MJD for my flex? leaning towards VJax. PPR league.
Gotta go VJax. All signs point to Jennings getting the majority of the touches this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsnRosesPenguins91 View Post
Who would you drop at TE?

Brent Celek (PHI)
Owen Daniels (HOU)
In an 8-teamer I wouldn't worry too much about dropping either one, but of the two I'd drop Daniels. Celek's had better seasons and also has never missed a game.

Quote:
accept as soon as you can and move on....
I would tend to agree. I am admittedly too high on Mathews, but even with that being said, I think most would agree he wins this trade (especially since he doesn't really have a WR2).

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:31 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
Taken from the roster thread so it doesn't get cluttered.

Again, keep in mind scoring settings. With 6 point passing TDs and the bonus for big yardage games, Brees has a huge advantage over guys like Vick, Cam, and any other second tier guy. The difference between Brees and the second/third tier guy you're taking in the 7th round is upwards of 10 points--the difference between Bush (NOT a guy I was targeting as a starter) and Forte/CJ2k is only about 5 points with our scoring. Pre-draft I ran a lot of mocks and projections and my teams with Brady/Brees always gave me better production with this league's settings, and Brady went 5th overall.

I was actually aiming for AP/Charles/Mathews/McFadden with my #26 pick, but Mathews went early in round 2 and the other guys went in a run right before my pick. In hindsight I should have taken Murray, Sproles, or SJax here, but at the time I was sure one would be on board at 35 (my money was on Sproles) and went with a guy guaranteed to give me 15-20 points in Jennings. Those guys went 30/31/32 and Richardson and Turner followed, so I went with Nicks. Nicks is a better pick here than Gore or Fred Jackson (I wanted Spiller later), and it was definitely a better option than reaching just because I needed a RB. I took Martin and Bush in round 5 and 6 because they were the best values to me. I didn't plan to end up with Bush a starter, but in a ppr league he has pretty decent value (13.5 ppg). As I said before, I'm looking to improve my RB situation but in the mean time my QB and receiving core has enough scoring power to keep me in games.

What league are you taking McCoy at 6? If he were there I'd take him, but he wasn't. My options at the time were really Forte or CJ2k for RBs--not bad guys (I own each in a separate league), but I felt I could match their production in other rounds. I don't think MJD's holdout was over when we drafted (honestly don't remember), and Mathews went mid-20s in three other drafts so I was confident he'd be on board for me in round 3. Only other guy worth taking at this point is Calvin because he's a monster in our league, but WRs that early never work for me as I almost always find good values in sleepers and waiver pickups.

I don't disagree for standard scoring, but this isn't a vanilla league. I never take a QB this high unless their value is too good to pass up--which I felt was the case this time. Guys like Brady, Brees, and Rodgers routinely carry their teams to victory in this league. My other teams look a lot more standard.
I have drafted McCoy in 3 pay leagues at #3, 6, and 7 ...people are jumping very high on qb's and leaving guys like McCoy and Rice to drop a bit...more then glad to show you any of my rosters with McCoy and where I got him at...

for the rest of our discussion, I will continue to disagree 1000% with your reasoning as the mathematics of it are still in favor of a team with a top 7-10 QB and 2-3 top running backs....no matter 4 or 6 points for a QB touchdown, my teams will win over yours if health is taken out of account.

Tony Romo just had a great game, got me 31 points, and has set me up for an easy win in most of my leagues as I have a combo of Demarco Murray, McCoy, Matthews, F. Jackson, and McFadden still going (Murray got me 14 which puts me nicely ahead of the curve as well). Obviously I dont own all these guys together, but here is a quick breakdown of a few of my teams QB and RB...

team 1 - Romo -qb ... Arian Foster -rb (drafted 2nd overall), Ryan Matthews - rb, and Demarco Murray -rb....if healthy this team is unstoppable as people were a bit scared to draft Matthews and Murray because of injury concerns...plenty of QBs went ahead and I just kept getting happier...

team 2 - Romo -qb ... Lesean McCoy -rb (drafted 3rd overall), Ryan Matthews -rb, and Fred Jackson -rb...again you will not see a better top 3 of running backs then what I have put together, and with my regular scoring Romo got me 31 points which will put me to an easy victory

team 3 - Rivers -qb.... Lesean McCoy -rb (drafted 7th overall), Trent Richardson -rb, and Ryan Matthews -rb...again I have 3 guys that are going to carry the rock a ton, health is always a concern, but this is my weakest unit, but will crush most teams rbs...

team 4 - Matt Ryan -qb ... Lesean McCoy -rb (drafted 6th overall), Demarco Murray -rb, Ryan Matthews -rb .... I have obviously targeted the same guys in a few drafts, but that is for a reason as most every league I am in, I "should if healthy" have 3 top 10 running backs by years end...mathematically putting me well in the lead then those that had to catch up that drafted a QB in round 1.

And my QBs who are only 1 starting roster spot, will hold their own on any given week against those round 1 picked qbs... I dont need my QBs to outperform Brees, Brady, or Rodgers all year long, I only need them to keep me close in a likely 3-5 times this season...and that is the misconception with the QB spot is that I dont need my guys to consistently be on those 3 players level all year long, I just need them to pull off a few big games throughout the year which Romo has just proven and done for me. The team that has Brady against me is already down 53-8 and I still have McCoy and Kevin Smith to go as Matthews was ruled out....that matchup will be a beat down as his running backs are BJGE and Gore....

Old
09-08-2012, 09:45 AM
MJG

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with everything that was said. It's definitely the best way to build your team. In my 12 team big money pool everyone went QB early and I was able to get Rice at 7. I ended up drafting Rivers in the 9th. My team looks much better then those that went QB early because the gap between Rivers and Brees or Brady or Newton is not as big as the gap between Rice, McFadden and Martin and whichever three guys they have at running back. I always view it like this. In a 12 team league there are at least 12-14 I don't mind starting at QB. Unless I really wait too long I will get one of them. The same cannot be said for running backs. Ideally you want 3 and there are not 36 running backs who I am comfortable starting week in week out. There are barely 24.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
It's all well and good to rant on about the merits of picking a running back over a quarterback when you are picking second or third and getting a Foster or McCoy, or you're in some crackpot league where the likes of Rice and McCoy are going 6th or 7th (got any spare spots in these ones next year? ) it's another thing to preach the merits of assembling these supposed unmatched running back stables when you are in a league where Foster, Rice, McCoy are all gone by the time 4th pick comes around, as has been the case in basically all of my leagues. When you are in that situation, then the quarterbacks start to look a whole lot more tempting.

Really the rant offered just speaks volumes about the quality of some of the leagues you are in if you are picking up these guys with the 6th or 7th picks, pretty much everyone would love one of those top three RB's this year, the reality is for most people in most of their leagues they won't be getting those guys, especially those of us who aren't playing with people who let someone like Rice drop to 7th.

Having a brief look over a few of my leagues drafts, you simply would not be able to put those groups of running backs together in these leagues that you have in the leagues you are in. Maybe the one with Jackson, but you wouldn't be getting Foster/Shady, Murray and Mathews.

Last edited by Morozov: 09-08-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
that is pure robbery on your end....he cant have anything up his sleeve as the picks at those rounds arent even a deal breaker at all...

your getting the best 2 players in the deal, accept as soon as you can and move on....the only thing I can think of is he needs a RB to play this week with Matthews being hurt, but that deal is grossly in your favor right now and in the future...
I don't think he's getting the best player in the deal let alone the two best. Give me JC over Mathews, definitely give me JC over Colston.

Not saying he doesn't win the trade, just don't see why Mathews is deemed better than JC, let alone Colston.

Last edited by Morozov: 09-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old
09-08-2012, 10:24 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
It's all well and good to rant on about the merits of picking a running back over a quarterback when you are picking second or third and getting a Foster or McCoy, or you're in some crackpot league where the likes of Rice and McCoy are going 6th or 7th (got any spare spots in these ones next year? ) it's another thing to preach the merits of assembling these supposed unmatched running back stables when you are in a league where Foster, Rice, McCoy are all gone by the time 4th pick comes around, as has been the case in basically all of my leagues. When you are in that situation, then the quarterbacks start to look a whole lot more tempting.

Really the rant offered just speaks volumes about the quality of some of the leagues you are in if you are picking up these guys with the 6th or 7th picks, pretty much everyone would love one of those top three RB's this year, the reality is for most people in most of their leagues they won't be getting those guys, especially those of us who aren't playing with people who let someone like Rice drop to 7th.

Having a brief look over a few of my leagues drafts, you simply would not be able to put those groups of running backs together in these leagues that you have in the leagues you are in. Maybe the one with Jackson, but you wouldn't be getting Foster/Shady, Murray and Mathews.
doesnt matter where you pick...I picked 8th and took McFadden in another league that I didnt put... picking towards the end of the first round is even better as you are going to likely get a better combo of near back to back running backs. your reasoning makes no sense and even applies more if your picking 8th-12th...

and for saying the leagues we are in are fool of idiots, I completely agree...they are the same people thinking that a QB is going to take them to the promised land and are drafting Rodgers, Brees, and Brady all before McCoy or Rice... I have a draft in 15 minutes on CBS Sports, another pay league, I will put how this one turns out...though I got 3rd again!!!!

Old
09-08-2012, 10:25 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
I don't think he's getting the best player in the deal let alone the two best. Give me JC over Mathews, definitely give me JC over Colston.

Not saying he doesn't win the trade, just don't see why Mathews is deemed better than JC, let alone Colston.
you are simply out of your mind if you dont think Matthews is better then Charles...its not even close... Matthews has none to compete with carries and is in a better offense, plus he will now get the goaline work...

nothing close to that can be said for Charles, who I like, but will be majorly vultured all year by Hillis... it wont even be close

Old
09-08-2012, 12:14 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

draft on Cbssports.com just concluded...$249.99 league...we start week 2. 12 team standard league

I will say this again, people are going stupid with QBs this year.

All taken in the first round - Rodgers, Brees, Brady (all taken by pick 4), Stafford and Newton picked 9th-12th... then Matt Ryan picked 14th overall with E. Manning at 16th!! hahahaha

I picked 3rd overall and landed Arian Foster -RB....yep, at 3rd overall...

Again LeSean McCoy was picked at 6th overall.....flipping crazy.

This was probably my least favorite draft I have done this year as I just felt I didnt get my usual homerun players...still a solid team, so I will list it here...

I picked 3rd overall, snake draft, listed in round order.

1. Arian Foster -RB
2. Doug Martin - RB
3. Ahmad Bradshaw -RB
4. Demaryius Thomas -WR
5. Marcus Colston - WR
6. Miles Austin - WR
7. Phillip Rivers - QB
8. Toby Gerhart - RB
9. Houston Texans - D ....idiots were picking defense starting round 7
10. Andrew Luck - QB
11. Jermaine Gresham - TE
12. Michael Crabtree -WR
13. Jared Cook - TE
14. Rod Bironas -K

I will happily ride Rivers and Luck this year and play the matchups...

this team is solid, and looking at everyone elses squad, most teams are shallow at running back so my three starting RBs are the tops right now depending on injuries...

league starts 2 rbs 2wrs and 1 flex

Old
09-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

In my 16 team league (TD only for the most part) last year I took Brady 5th overall, because the league is QB heavy, and I led the league in scoring but lost in Round 1. My starting RBs were Steven Jackson and DeAngelo Williams.

This year Rice fell to me 6th overall as the 4 of the 1st 5 picks were QBs. And I was able to get Murray in round 2 and still got Romo in the 3rd, who got me 36 points this week.

My starting WRs are Green, Harvin and Meachem. Opposed to last year where I had Austin, Floyd and Finley(TE = WR)

I'm usually going RB in round 1 unless I'm picking late and don't like any of the RBs left so I'll take an elite QB. I never ever pick a WR in the 1st.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:53 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I have drafted McCoy in 3 pay leagues at #3, 6, and 7 ...people are jumping very high on qb's and leaving guys like McCoy and Rice to drop a bit...more then glad to show you any of my rosters with McCoy and where I got him at...

for the rest of our discussion, I will continue to disagree 1000% with your reasoning as the mathematics of it are still in favor of a team with a top 7-10 QB and 2-3 top running backs....no matter 4 or 6 points for a QB touchdown, my teams will win over yours if health is taken out of account.

Tony Romo just had a great game, got me 31 points, and has set me up for an easy win in most of my leagues as I have a combo of Demarco Murray, McCoy, Matthews, F. Jackson, and McFadden still going (Murray got me 14 which puts me nicely ahead of the curve as well). Obviously I dont own all these guys together, but here is a quick breakdown of a few of my teams QB and RB...

team 1 - Romo -qb ... Arian Foster -rb (drafted 2nd overall), Ryan Matthews - rb, and Demarco Murray -rb....if healthy this team is unstoppable as people were a bit scared to draft Matthews and Murray because of injury concerns...plenty of QBs went ahead and I just kept getting happier...

team 2 - Romo -qb ... Lesean McCoy -rb (drafted 3rd overall), Ryan Matthews -rb, and Fred Jackson -rb...again you will not see a better top 3 of running backs then what I have put together, and with my regular scoring Romo got me 31 points which will put me to an easy victory

team 3 - Rivers -qb.... Lesean McCoy -rb (drafted 7th overall), Trent Richardson -rb, and Ryan Matthews -rb...again I have 3 guys that are going to carry the rock a ton, health is always a concern, but this is my weakest unit, but will crush most teams rbs...

team 4 - Matt Ryan -qb ... Lesean McCoy -rb (drafted 6th overall), Demarco Murray -rb, Ryan Matthews -rb .... I have obviously targeted the same guys in a few drafts, but that is for a reason as most every league I am in, I "should if healthy" have 3 top 10 running backs by years end...mathematically putting me well in the lead then those that had to catch up that drafted a QB in round 1.

And my QBs who are only 1 starting roster spot, will hold their own on any given week against those round 1 picked qbs... I dont need my QBs to outperform Brees, Brady, or Rodgers all year long, I only need them to keep me close in a likely 3-5 times this season...and that is the misconception with the QB spot is that I dont need my guys to consistently be on those 3 players level all year long, I just need them to pull off a few big games throughout the year which Romo has just proven and done for me. The team that has Brady against me is already down 53-8 and I still have McCoy and Kevin Smith to go as Matthews was ruled out....that matchup will be a beat down as his running backs are BJGE and Gore....
Awesome. Congratulations on your preseason championships. You're obviously the best ever.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this team, it's going nowhere because your answer to everything is "you're wrong, my team is best!!" If I had the chance to draft any of those team I would have, but as it stands Brees is better than CJ2k and Forte at 6 with our settings. My thoughts on the rest of the draft are above, you can either read them or ignore them. I honestly don't care.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
doesnt matter where you pick...I picked 8th and took McFadden in another league that I didnt put... picking towards the end of the first round is even better as you are going to likely get a better combo of near back to back running backs. your reasoning makes no sense and even applies more if your picking 8th-12th...

and for saying the leagues we are in are fool of idiots, I completely agree...they are the same people thinking that a QB is going to take them to the promised land and are drafting Rodgers, Brees, and Brady all before McCoy or Rice... I have a draft in 15 minutes on CBS Sports, another pay league, I will put how this one turns out...though I got 3rd again!!!!
Yes, it does matter where you pick, if you are in a league where people don't let the likes of Rice and McCoy drop to 6th or 7th. Picking towards the end of the first is certainly even better, if you are in a league where these guys are dropping to that pick. Unfortunately, most of us don't have that luxury. There's a big difference between McFadden and McCoy/Rice/Foster.

Again, it's one thing to preach the merits of taking a RB in the first round over Rodgers/Brees/Brady, it's another thing to try say that when Foster/McCoy/Rice are gone. Like you agree, the people you are up against who are making this possible are idiots, thus it doesn't really help with those who aren't going up against idiots If you're in a draft that goes Foster, Rice, McCoy, then if you are sitting at 4th or 5th, then those three QB's are looking pretty inviting compared to the cluster **** that is the other top RB's this year.

Old
09-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
you are simply out of your mind if you dont think Matthews is better then Charles...its not even close... Matthews has none to compete with carries and is in a better offense, plus he will now get the goaline work...

nothing close to that can be said for Charles, who I like, but will be majorly vultured all year by Hillis... it wont even be close
I don't see why it isn't even close, how quick some are to forget just how fantastic Charles was prior to his injury, back when people were taking him around the very beginning of the draft (and of course subsequently got burned by the injury, but that happens). By all accounts he is completely back and ready to roll. Competing with carries isn't really an argument that matters against Charles, he isn't reliant on getting lots of carries, his last actual season he had put up the second highest YPC ever.The running back that Charles was before his injury was on a completely different level to anything Mathews has shown in his career.

and as for Colston, well you're in here preaching about getting a stud running back stable, but then suggesting Colston is better than a guy who has shown the ability to be amongst the elite running backs of the league? doesn't make much sense there.

Old
09-08-2012, 08:05 PM
17futurecap

Have to start one of Turbin, Alfred Morris, or Dwyer tomorrow, anyone have a feel on who I should go with? Don't think I'm going Morris, who knows with Shanahan?

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:14 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Have to start one of Turbin, Alfred Morris, or Dwyer tomorrow, anyone have a feel on who I should go with? Don't think I'm going Morris, who knows with Shanahan?
thats a tough call....if Lynch is going to be limited go with Turbin as you will at least know he will get a lot of the work which God doesnt even know what will happen with Washington tomorrow

Old
09-08-2012, 11:19 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
I don't see why it isn't even close, how quick some are to forget just how fantastic Charles was prior to his injury, back when people were taking him around the very beginning of the draft (and of course subsequently got burned by the injury, but that happens). By all accounts he is completely back and ready to roll. Competing with carries isn't really an argument that matters against Charles, he isn't reliant on getting lots of carries, his last actual season he had put up the second highest YPC ever.The running back that Charles was before his injury was on a completely different level to anything Mathews has shown in his career.

and as for Colston, well you're in here preaching about getting a stud running back stable, but then suggesting Colston is better than a guy who has shown the ability to be amongst the elite running backs of the league? doesn't make much sense there.
I am not going to argue these things as I just dont think many understand ADP or the mathematics involved with fantasy football. I dont care who is better year end Charles or Colston, its all about ADP and where you draft these guys and their value in accordance to that.

Colston clearly is the better player for his ADP (goes in most drafts 5th round), while people are drafting Charles in the late 2nd round on average which is horrible considering how much work Hillis is going to take away from Charles...I would easily take Hillis in the 7th round over Charles in the 2nd as Hillis' ADP is far more valuable.

Ryan Matthews is clearly the better option with the amount of work he is going to get, the amount of support he has on offense, and the overall schedule is pretty decent....Charles has far too many detractors for his ADP mainly his repaired knee as every running back coming back from that injury hasnt ever come close to reproducing their prior numbers that following year...now add to that fact that he is splitting carries with Hillis, and Charles at the end of the 2nd round and his ADP is way below the value that Ryan Matthews has as Matthews has been getting drafted in mid to late 2nd round right now....hell I got Matthews in round 3 in a few drafts

Old
09-08-2012, 11:21 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:

and I dont consider Charles anywhere near the elite runners this year, borderline top 20 for me until he proves he can work himself back and outplay Hillis and those touches....I never go after Charles in the top 3 rounds and wouldnt recommend anyone to do so either at his ADP.

Old
09-08-2012, 11:28 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Yes, it does matter where you pick, if you are in a league where people don't let the likes of Rice and McCoy drop to 6th or 7th. Picking towards the end of the first is certainly even better, if you are in a league where these guys are dropping to that pick. Unfortunately, most of us don't have that luxury. There's a big difference between McFadden and McCoy/Rice/Foster.

Again, it's one thing to preach the merits of taking a RB in the first round over Rodgers/Brees/Brady, it's another thing to try say that when Foster/McCoy/Rice are gone. Like you agree, the people you are up against who are making this possible are idiots, thus it doesn't really help with those who aren't going up against idiots If you're in a draft that goes Foster, Rice, McCoy, then if you are sitting at 4th or 5th, then those three QB's are looking pretty inviting compared to the cluster **** that is the other top RB's this year.
actually if Foster, Rice, and McCoy are off the board 1-3, I then would target McFadden, Murray, Johnson, or Matthews next. In no circumstance will I take a QB in round 1....

and actually there is no difference between McFadden, Foster, McCoy, or Rice. I actually believe McFadden will be the top back this year if healthy, only problem is he never has played more then 13 games in a year. McFadden is the most talented runner in the game, and if I cant get the big 3, I then target him as he will give you massive games throughout the year. His PPG is even more impressive then some of the big 3.. Then I get to follow up McFadden with a likely Murray, F. Jackson, or Matthews combo solidifying my runningbacks...which I have done in my one league.

Old
09-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
I am not going to argue these things as I just dont think many understand ADP or the mathematics involved with fantasy football. I dont care who is better year end Charles or Colston, its all about ADP and where you draft these guys and their value in accordance to that.

Colston clearly is the better player for his ADP (goes in most drafts 5th round), while people are drafting Charles in the late 2nd round on average which is horrible considering how much work Hillis is going to take away from Charles...I would easily take Hillis in the 7th round over Charles in the 2nd as Hillis' ADP is far more valuable.

Ryan Matthews is clearly the better option with the amount of work he is going to get, the amount of support he has on offense, and the overall schedule is pretty decent....Charles has far too many detractors for his ADP mainly his repaired knee as every running back coming back from that injury hasnt ever come close to reproducing their prior numbers that following year...now add to that fact that he is splitting carries with Hillis, and Charles at the end of the 2nd round and his ADP is way below the value that Ryan Matthews has as Matthews has been getting drafted in mid to late 2nd round right now....hell I got Matthews in round 3 in a few drafts
ADP doesn't mean anything in a trade though lol? so yeah, this whole post was pretty much a waste of time no need for mathematics champ.

Old
09-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
and I dont consider Charles anywhere near the elite runners this year, borderline top 20 for me until he proves he can work himself back and outplay Hillis and those touches....I never go after Charles in the top 3 rounds and wouldnt recommend anyone to do so either at his ADP.
With Charles and Mathews I see one guy who has proven he can be amongst the leagues elite running backs and one who hasn't.