HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Whitecaps FC Thread VII

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Rocko604

vCash: 500
I say give Rennie one more season, provided that not one more Scottish player is signed.

Tommy Soehn must be sacked immediately. Don't think for one second he didn't have a large hand in all those moves. He's the director of soccer operations for pete's sake.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:20 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
I say give Rennie one more season, provided that not one more Scottish player is signed.

Tommy Soehn must be sacked immediately. Don't think for one second he didn't have a large hand in all those moves. He's the director of soccer operations for pete's sake.
The problem isn't just the personnel brought in but the starting lineups are obviously 100% on Rennie.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
The problem isn't just the personnel brought in but the starting lineups are obviously 100% on Rennie.
No debate there. Camillo over Mattocks? Given we "made" the playoffs though, I don't think that's enough a reason to sack him.

Also, if we beat RSL, I'll feel a helluva lot better about making the playoffs. At least we'd be finishing the regular season with a win.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:56 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
No debate there. Camillo over Mattocks? Given we "made" the playoffs though, I don't think that's enough a reason to sack him.

Also, if we beat RSL, I'll feel a helluva lot better about making the playoffs. At least we'd be finishing the regular season with a win.
I think Camillo was in over Mattocks because Mattocks played quite a bit of his international match and they didn't want to over exert him before the playoffs.

Rennie is a very good coach and made significant contributions to the Whitecaps success. But the chemistry this team had built up at the midway point of the season has been totally destroyed. That's not something you can coach.

I blame Soehn and Lenarduzzi almost entirely for the changes the happened, I doubt Rennie really had very much impact outside of "Hey I'm familiar with these guys..."

Old
10-22-2012, 11:46 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:

Rennie is young coach, he's got a fantastic track record but MLS is a more challenging league than the lower divisions he's managed to dominate at. He's going to have the same growing pains as you'd see in a young player. That being said, he did take a DEAD-last team into a team that managed to squeak into the playoffs, I don't think anyone has any grounds to 'sack' him. (and of course, as I mentioned before the Whitecaps have achieved their MLS season objective).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
I think Camillo was in over Mattocks because Mattocks played quite a bit of his international match and they didn't want to over exert him before the playoffs.

Rennie is a very good coach and made significant contributions to the Whitecaps success. But the chemistry this team had built up at the midway point of the season has been totally destroyed. That's not something you can coach.

I blame Soehn and Lenarduzzi almost entirely for the changes the happened, I doubt Rennie really had very much impact outside of "Hey I'm familiar with these guys..."
I think you mean Richards not Mattocks. And I was dissapointed he didn't start given his form at home (and how well he fared in the Jam. game).

And really you cannot accurately judge an acquisition until they've had about an entire season under their belt. SO many teams fail to understand this (not surprisingly the TOP teams in the world don't) and when things don't go their way after 8 months they try to clean house and start he process all over again (see TFC ever single damn year since 2006)

Old
10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
luongoisdaman

Quote:
Sunday’s results mean Vancouver will face the reigning MLS Cup champion LA Galaxy at the Home Depot Center in a one-off first-round knockout round matchup on November 1.
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012...rtunity-knocks

Confirmed...

Old
10-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Derp Kassian

Watched the Sounders game that was on after and their chemistry and ball control was great. We look like a second division club compared to them.. We really miss Chiumiento he was like our David Silva. Well likely get thrashed by LA just too deep and better quality. But somehow of we do win I think we matchup better vs SJ.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Basso

Never know in a one game playoff. We can park the bus for 120 mins and win on penalties. You just never know. Rennie needs to start with Richards - Mattocks - Camilo up front and bench Miller though. He can be the super sub. Start with the 3 forwards who have been here all year!

Old
10-27-2012, 01:10 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
Never know in a one game playoff. We can park the bus for 120 mins and win on penalties. You just never know. Rennie needs to start with Richards - Mattocks - Camilo up front and bench Miller though. He can be the super sub. Start with the 3 forwards who have been here all year!
Parking the bus for the entire game is a recipe for disaster (at least I think so). Cause over the course of 90 minutes you got to think that Beckham, Keane, Donovan or Junino will be able to break us down. And if we SOMEHOW survive that we have to do it with tired bodies that have been defending all game for ANOTHER 30 minutes. AND if we survive that, I wouldn't fancy our chances in a PK (but that is bit of a toss up).

I think our best bet is to collapse when they have the ball, counter and if there is no break just possess the ball for as long as we can. Their weakness is their defense (especially against speed) so possible we could exploit that.

I see this game either being a right close, down to the wire battle OR like the Van-LA reserve match the other week

Old
10-27-2012, 01:30 PM
metric

Parking the bus works only if you can hit on the counter. We can barely pass when our players are standing still never mind while on the break.

Old
10-27-2012, 05:41 PM
ohlund2.2

revs did us a favour and beat montreal. a win or a draw (however unlikely either is) tonight and we're the #1 seed for the acc.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

how the hell was that not a yellow on whathisname for taking out knighton like that?! and then demerit gets a random yellow...god I hate the mls officials so much.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Mattocks robbed of a goal. Not offside. Standard set piece there.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:59 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Thorrington had his best game as a Whitecap tonight. Really showed some leadership today

Still think we lose in LA unless we get 2 goals atleast. Please god let their be a miracle

Old
10-27-2012, 11:19 PM
metric

Another yawner but at least they played better than against Portland.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:25 PM
luongoisdaman

Not a bad game to build off of, but we'll need much more from the strikers to have any chance of beating LA. Richards and Mattocks looked good today, should stick with them to start off with on Thursday.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:39 PM
metric

Watching LA against Seattle is like watching a completely different league. So jealous of their talent.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:43 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Mattocks robbed of a goal. Not offside. Standard set piece there.
I actually thought he was clearly offside by half a stride, good call IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Watching LA against Seattle is like watching a completely different league. So jealous of their talent.
Any game between 2 of LA-Seattle-RSL produce really fun games to watch. I hate Keane and Montero... because I wish we had someone like that.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:59 PM
YogiCanucks

Away Goal rule not in effect during the MLS playoffs.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:12 PM
metric

@tylergreen1040: No Omar Salgado at training today. Training instead indoors. Rumor is he had a setback and re-injured his foot

Old
10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
garbageteam

Well, about six months ago another seemingly weaker opponent from LA knocked a second-year President's Trophy winning team from Vancouver out of the playoffs and then went on to win the cup... I would like to say it would be sweet to get revenge but the 2012 Whitecaps to MLS are nowhere near the 2012 Kings to the NHL.

Still hoping for a miracle. Whitecaps have no injuries other than Salgado who is frankly not going to play anyway, while Beckham and Donovan are dealing with an ankle soreness and a bone bruise but are expected to play. I'd pretty much start with what we did in RSL with Rochat/DeMerit/YPLee/O'Brien/Harvey on defense and Thorrington/Richards/Koffie in MF. Mattocks on the attack with Camilo... sub in Robson and Miller when legs get tired and hope they find that SPL magic late game.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:53 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post
Well, about six months ago another seemingly weaker opponent from LA knocked a second-year President's Trophy winning team from Vancouver out of the playoffs and then went on to win the cup... I would like to say it would be sweet to get revenge but the 2012 Whitecaps to MLS are nowhere near the 2012 Kings to the NHL.

Still hoping for a miracle. Whitecaps have no injuries other than Salgado who is frankly not going to play anyway, while Beckham and Donovan are dealing with an ankle soreness and a bone bruise but are expected to play. I'd pretty much start with what we did in RSL with Rochat/DeMerit/YPLee/O'Brien/Harvey on defense and Thorrington/Richards/Koffie in MF. Mattocks on the attack with Camilo... sub in Robson and Miller when legs get tired and hope they find that SPL magic late game.
Needs less Camilo. I hope management tweets in the offseason that they want to renegotiate his deal to make sure he's getting paid what he's worth.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Pascha

I still think we can take this game ... and I liked what I saw from our midfield and back 4 during the Salt Lake game.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:19 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

I don't see us winning this game at all. LA will not be held goalless no matter how good we play defensively and I really doubt our scoring ability.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:54 AM
NeverGoingToWin

Game day! Hopefully your guys come up huge and knock out LA.

Closed Thread