HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto-colorado

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
A 50 point centre earning $6.6 against the cap sure is worth a pretty penny, eh? Who would have thought that a massively overpaid (and overrated) player could command such a large return in a trade.
I guess we're just forgetting Stasnys 79 point season two years ago? Lol. What about his 71 and 78 point seasons? To call Stasny a 50 point center is just ignorant. Hes easily capable of 65+ points a year, every year.

Do people have nothing else to do than this? Lol.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:13 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
I guess we're just forgetting Stasnys 79 point season two years ago? Lol. What about his 71 and 78 point seasons? To call Stasny a 50 point center is just ignorant. Hes easily capable of 65+ points a year, every year.

But, in 2 years with offensive studs like Chuck Kobasew and Daniel Winnik on his wings, he scored his usual 20 goals, but his point totals couldn't stay at PPG levels. Isn't it obvious that Stastny isn't capable of scoring at that level any more?

Old
08-14-2012, 02:15 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:

Unfortunately, no.

These trade proposals pop up every week with the same result from both sides.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:16 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Your 100% right. We will just keep our 50 point massively overpaid center then. Thanks.
Certainly. That's probably for the best. I'm not sure if any teams would be willing to part with significant assets for the amount of risk they would take in acquiring Stastny. The risk, IMO, revolves around whether he will actually earn his hefty price tag or if he'll be the cap deadweight he currently is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanadi19 View Post
Who knew that you didnt need to give up anything to acquire a teams #1 centre
Price is significantly impacted by the amount of risk a buyer is assuming, thus altering worth / value.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Scurr

There is a deal to be made here. The Av's are really cheap. They have younger, cheaper players to take over for Stastny. Their fans might be happy to keep Stastny's 6.6m around for depth but management has shown an appetite to cut payroll.

Burke is under pressure to show marked improvement this season and make the playoffs. Stastny is still pretty young, so he can move some assets that he might not otherwise because he can sell Stastny as a long term solution and core player.

Once the CBA is negotiated and both teams have a better understanding where the sit, I expect this deal to get done. It makes too much sense for both teams.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:23 PM
csanadi19

Quote:
Certainly. That's probably for the best. I'm not sure if any teams would be willing to part with significant assets for the amount of risk they would take in acquiring Stastny. The risk, IMO, revolves around whether he will actually earn his hefty price tag or if he'll be the cap deadweight he currently is.

Price is significantly impacted by the amount of risk a buyer is assuming, thus altering worth / value.
If niether the avs or Stastny have a problem with each other, then a trade is not forced. Since this is the case, if colorado chooses to trade Stastny they can decide the minumum amount they would like to receive in exchange, if the avalanche's price isnt met then they keep Stastny easy enough

Old
08-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
There is a deal to be made here. The Av's are really cheap. They have younger, cheaper players to take over for Stastny. Their fans might be happy to keep Stastny's 6.6m around for depth but management has shown an appetite to cut payroll.

Burke is under pressure to show marked improvement this season and make the playoffs. Stastny is still pretty young, so he can move some assets that he might not otherwise because he can sell Stastny as a long term solution and core player.

Once the CBA is negotiated and both teams have a better understanding where the sit, I expect this deal to get done. It makes too much sense for both teams.
You still have not said how this makes sense for the Avs. I think with the additions of Parenteau, Downie, and McGinn, as well as resigning Jones, it is quite clear that the Avs management is looking to run with three scoring lines next year.

All you did was speculate that the Avs might want to cut cap. The Leafs have no pieces available that the Avs would be interested in. This makes sense for one team...not two.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Whydidijoin*

Makes no sense for either team.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Thats great. We will happily keep him. Notice its other teams fans, not Avs fans creating threads on Stastny?

Old
08-14-2012, 02:27 PM
electricjib

vCash: 50
Quote:

This is just how TML fans get what they want in a trade thread with Avs players involved, they'll make 20 threads with nearly the same offer, then bash there value in clearly never seeing the player play more than 2-3 games a year and only use hockeydb.com to determine what they think the value of the player is, clearly knowing the potential for more based on previous seasons.

It really is a sad cycle, that will likely not stop.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:27 PM
PAZ

Quote:

Give me an example where the Avs have cut payroll?

Old
08-14-2012, 02:29 PM
electricjib

Quote:

Doesn't sound like you watch the Avs much...or hockey at all really...

Please tell us how he is such a Cap Deadweight? Sure there was a single calendar year he played below par 2011, but his stats in 2012 were on par with those prior to the year 2011 kicking in...

Posters like you really bring these threads down, rather than giving points other than Stats you find on HockeyDB or NHL.com, you really bring nothing to the conversation table. He's actually a pretty good two way player, he's a good playmaker, do you want to know his wingers the last 4 years? Please rather than finding the easy answers actually do some homework.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
Quote:

I think you'll be waiting a while for this deal to happen.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Give me an example where the Avs have cut payroll?
they've had a bottom 3 payroll the last two seasons. I'd say that shows an appetite to keep salaries at a minimum. But you're right, you can't cut payroll from bottom 3 in the league with the cap rising, I misspoke. I should have said AV's management has shown an appetite to keep payroll at a minimum. My bad.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Drij

Quote:
they've had a bottom 3 payroll the last two seasons. I'd say that shows an appetite to keep salaries at a minimum. But you're right, you can't cut payroll from bottom 3 in the league with the cap rising, I misspoke. I should have said AV's management has shown an appetite to keep payroll at a minimum. My bad.
You don't think rebuilding with young players has something to do with a low payroll? It's not like players on ELC get paid big bucks...

Old
08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
So instead of qualifying Mueller at 2.5M and going out and signing Parenteau for 4M is keeping payroll at minimum?

Old
08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
electricjib

Quote:
rebuilding?

Old
08-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:

Lots of that going around, apparently.

Briere,C - 49 pts in 70gp - $6.5M
Getzlaf,C - 57 pts in 82 gp - $5.3M
LeCavalier,C - 49 pts in 64 gp - $7.7M
Richards,C - 44 pts in 74 gp - $5.75M
Carter,C - 34 pts in 55 gp - $5.27M

Holy crap, I never realized that Bozak was better than this many guys!

If you actually took the time and did a search on NHL.com for scoring for all centers in the league LAST season, O'Rielly comes in 24th and Stastny comes in 26th.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...rt=points&pg=1

Could it be that scoring is down league-wide? Could it have anything to do with the fact that the Avalanche had 6 complete games without a power play last season AND the least amount of total PP opportunities league-wide by a fair margin???

No. Bozak is better. Not as good as your trolling but close.

We'll keep Stastny thanks. There are very, very few Avs fan who actually want him off our team. You guys can claim that it's not Leaf fans making the proposals all you want (it's like 95% leaf fans, c'mon) the fact is, it's NOT AVS FANS.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
All you did was speculate that the Avs might want to cut cap. The Leafs have no pieces available that the Avs would be interested in. This makes sense for one team...not two.
The Leafs can make an offer of young players//veterans that help the AV's get back to the cap floor (whatever that is) and keep with their youth movement. The Leafs have players that are attractive, even to a stacked team like the AV's

Old
08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
i2strange97

Just curious...

Quote:
A 50 point centre earning $6.6 against the cap sure is worth a pretty penny, eh? Who would have thought that a massively overpaid (and overrated) player could command such a large return in a trade.
What is a "fair" contract for Mr. Stastny? What do you sign a RFA that has had a 78 (82 games), 71 (66 games) and a 36 (45 games) point season? His first season using his new contract he scored 79 points in 81 games. The next two years the team missed the playoffs with SOS scoring only 57 (74 games) and 53 (79 games). What's his worth? 4 million a year? 5? 6? 3? You spent 4.75 on a center who scored 36 points this season (65 points in his best season), is Stastny worth 4.75 (Stastny - career PPG .876 / Connolly - career PPG .618)?

Old
08-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
You don't think rebuilding with young players has something to do with a low payroll? It's not like players on ELC get paid big bucks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
rebuilding?
Yes, they're rebuilding with young players. They're also keeping salaries at a minimum. There is a deal to be made with the Leafs that allows for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
So instead of qualifying Mueller at 2.5M and going out and signing Parenteau for 4M is keeping payroll at minimum?
2.5m for 20 ish games or 4m for 80ish? The AV's made the better investment.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:45 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2strange97 View Post
What is a "fair" contract for Mr. Stastny? What do you sign a RFA that has had a 78 (82 games), 71 (66 games) and a 36 (45 games) point season? His first season using his new contract he scored 79 points in 81 games. The next two years the team missed the playoffs with SOS scoring only 57 (74 games) and 53 (79 games). What's his worth? 4 million a year? 5? 6? 3? You spent 4.75 on a center who scored 36 points this season (65 points in his best season), is Stastny worth 4.75 (Stastny - career PPG .876 / Connolly - career PPG .618)?
I have a feeling the Sarus may not post again....

Old
08-14-2012, 02:46 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

I laughed at "cap deadweight." A bit overpaid, sure. But deadweight? Not unless his name is Yashin, DiPietro, or Gomez.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
The Leafs can make an offer of young players//veterans that help the AV's get back to the cap floor (whatever that is) and keep with their youth movement. The Leafs have players that are attractive, even to a stacked team like the AV's
Think about it. If YOU were in charge of the Avs and you had Paul Stastny under contract for the next TWO seasons, would you:

1) Trade him immediately to the Leafs for a package including a bunch of youngters.

2) Wait to see if O'Reilly can continue on pace with how he was playing last year and more importantly, see how Matt Duchene responds from a tough injury-riddled season?

I know it's VERY DIFFICULT to do this (), because you have to actually consider what the OTHER TEAM is doing, where they are headed and what their needs actually are instead of just caring about what your favourite team receives.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:48 PM
The Saurus

Paul Stastny would certainly be deadweight to a team that spends to the cap. Scoring fifty points is not even close to being worth $6.6m/year. It doesn't matter if there are other things that Stastny brings to the table; he's being paid $6.6m/year to be that consistent, first line point producer and he hasn't for the last two years.

Closed Thread