HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Fan590 reporting ... NHL/NHLPA Wednesday meeting

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2005, 03:08 PM
quartermaster29

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
I'd also like to personally thank the Canadian posters for puking the anti-American fan goo. It's refreshing to see why Americans don't take the sport more serious than or equally serious to Canadians... why should we? Whenever we try we get crap like that thrown in our face!

"What? Your an American and you like hockey?!? You and that other fella! *yuck yuck*"

Old
01-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
It's a difficult idea to grab hold of, this, meeting all day and NOTHING coming of it. Surely there will be talking going on. Right? And isn't the fact they are talking better than nothing?

I would like to think that they are ironing out the details. I am not going to say I have a theory as to what's being said, but I'd like to think there's some actual discussion happening.

Also, I'd like to think that with the desperate attempt to keep the media out of it, they won't discuss the results until Bettman and Goodenow have been updated and I would be willing to bet we don't see the results of this meeting until maybe even Monday. There will be tons of rumors I'm sure.
I'm with you. I just got to thinking...

If the meeting is being held at the airport, is that not the easiest place to get Bettman/Goodenow if a deal is stricken in principal? They'd need to go through very few media people, and could slip in barely seen (obviously someone would find out...). That way they only have the top guys there if a deal is doable, and Linden/Hotchkiss know what deals are doable and what ones aren't, they'll just have to warm their leaders up to it.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
I'd also like to personally thank the Canadian posters for puking the anti-American fan goo. It's refreshing to see why Americans don't take the sport more serious than or equally serious to Canadians... why should we? Whenever we try we get crap like that thrown in our face!

"What? Your an American and you like hockey?!? You and that other fella! *yuck yuck*"
lol

If you took my comment seriously, please accept my sincere apology, I was carrying on a joke. I promise you that I am well aware there are many intelligent hockey fans in the United States, and that many Americans miss hockey just as much as me. Seriously, I am very sorry.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:12 PM
X0ssbar

Roger Millions is on 1460thefan.com right now in Columbus on the Doug MacLean show and he is reporting that he has not seen either group actualy meeting together. He says he sees both teams in seperate board rooms go over paper work for over 5 hours.

Jeff Rimer then posed the question that is it possible that they may be reveiwing proposals? Millions responded that its certainly a possibility but doesn't know for sure.

He also just mentioned that Harley just emerged from the meeting so it may be over.

They are done with the interview now.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:13 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

I had that same thought about the airport earlier. How convenient for it to be held at the airport where Gary and Bob could come at any moment.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:18 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
Millions responded that its certainly a possibility but doesn't know for sure.
That name kills me. Millions! Millions! That's a lot of people, you know!

(I read the opening, and I understand. It just makes me pause when I read it!)

Old
01-19-2005, 03:18 PM
X0ssbar

Rimer also mentioned that Mike Murphy from the NHL offices today announced that, as of now, that the best schedule the NHL could have at this point is a 36 game schedule. They would need to 2 days for every game played. Season starting Feb 1st with it ending sometime in April.

Apparently Rimer read this in an article where Murphy was quoted and Rimer considers this a positive development that he would announce this. I don't have a link.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Habs13

vCash: 82
I hope they brought a pen..

Old
01-19-2005, 03:20 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
lol

If you took my comment seriously, please accept my sincere apology, I was carrying on a joke. I promise you that I am well aware there are many intelligent hockey fans in the United States, and that many Americans miss hockey just as much as me. Seriously, I am very sorry.

And I'm probably guilty of over-reaction. Wouldn't be the first time. The jokes just hit me at a good time of the day. Apology accepted, and I will work on my sensitivity and try and view them as jokes.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

The meetings are over for today. "Good Dialogue, no proposals made and no future meetings have been scheduled."

:mad:

Old
01-19-2005, 03:26 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
The meetings are over for today. "Good Dialogue, no proposals made and no future meetings have been scheduled."

:mad:
Source?

Old
01-19-2005, 03:26 PM
X0ssbar

Rimer is reporting the meeting is now over. Conference is under way.

First news - the meeting was positive but apparently they are no further to a deal and no more meetings have been reported.

This is coming from Rimer's son who produces a show on 590 the fan in Toronto who phoned his dad, Jeff, in the studio in Columbus.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4419
Source?
Fan590 streaming

Old
01-19-2005, 03:29 PM
X8oD

well, that turned out to be one giant pile of Nothing.

Now we can just wait for football this weekend.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:30 PM
leaflover
Stanley Cup 2022

vCash: 40352
Another meeting agreed to.
Progress

Old
01-19-2005, 03:30 PM
X0ssbar

Now tsn.ca is reporting:

"Daly and Saskin, in a brief media scrum afterwards, said a future meeting would be held but did not give further details."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...87&hubName=nhl

Old
01-19-2005, 03:43 PM
nyr7andcounting

Hopefully this next meeting is before the weekend, otherwise it may be too late for any of these meetings to matter at that point.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
Now tsn.ca is reporting:

"Daly and Saskin, in a brief media scrum afterwards, said a future meeting would be held but did not give further details."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...87&hubName=nhl
Better than nothing, but they better hurry.....if they were smart they would meet again tomorrow morning at the same place. Call everyone in who you need to call, just keep talking and get something done for chrissakes!

Old
01-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
Hopefully this next meeting is before the weekend, otherwise it may be too late for any of these meetings to matter at that point.
Exactly. Unless they get something done in the couple weeks and just extend the shortened season past April.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Crows*

I hope they hold another meeting in chicago tommrow or friday. Time is ticking and i agree any later and it's too late. A deal needs to be done by mid week next week probbaly to have a season.,

Old
01-19-2005, 03:49 PM
kenabnrmal

I think this is probably the best that could realistically be hoped for. Truely, they weren't going to come out of this meeting with a deal signed and sealed without the figureheads there. They also aren't going to tell us "well, we got a deal done, we're just going to wait till the weekend, Gary and Bob will come on down, and we'll get it signed up for you folks...". Good dialogue and the lack of sniping at each other is about as positive a sign as we've had in this whole debacle, and as far as I can tell, points to good things.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:51 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

ESPNews said the "unofficial" dropdead date is February 1st to get a deal done. That would allow for a 36 game schedule. (I'm sure this has been said somewhere in this thread already, but I can't remember.)

I too hope the meeting is soon, within the next couple of days. It's good that Saskin and Daly didn't offer any details about it... right?

Old
01-19-2005, 03:53 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows
I hope they hold another meeting in chicago tommrow or friday. Time is ticking and i agree any later and it's too late. A deal needs to be done by mid week next week probbaly to have a season.,
I wouldn't read too much into the lack of meetings for several days.

I would guess that each party has gone back to their constiuents to discuss the days developments and what sort of concessions (if any) each party has committed.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

when they say they are meeting soon that could mean tommorow. they might not want a media circus to take place again and they tried hard to keep the chicago meeting place quiet.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:59 PM
orcatown

Is it true that Fox is reporting that the outlines of a possible 8 year deal, involving rollbacks and a soft cap, have been put together.

Closed Thread