HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Erik Gustafsson #26

Old
08-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

vCash: 500
Erik Gustafsson #26

Hey guys

After all the injuries and all the big UFAīs going elsewhere, itīs the time to find a new diamond in our own farm team. We have done it in the past and we will do it in the future.

My candidate is Gustafsson!

He played 30 games for us and scored 5 Points. He has a +12 statistic and was one of the best players in the team. Sure he played fewer game than other players, but its a very good hint for his importance on the ice.

He also plays solid in the playoffs. He scored a goal against the pens. He had a +4 statistic. So not bad at all.

In my eyes he is a cheap version of Carle. He has a good passing game, good puck skills and a little offensive upside. Maybe he can help us in the PP as well. He must learn to protect the dzone better, but he has a lot of time. And why should we not try him, before signing another old slow pest, who is always injured. I canīt stand all the 33+ signings. Odonnel had a good season, but all other bottom defensive signings the last years were terrible. So why the hell donīt give Bourdon, Lauridsen or my favourite Gus a chance!!

He deserve it!

I think he will make a big step this year.

60 Games 25 Points +6 would enough in my opinion ;D

what your thinking of him?

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Either Gustafsson or Bourdon will earn a permanent spot on the roster this year. Manning will be developing in the A and right behind them. Lauridsen will get a few NHL reps this year if there are injuries.

Whether its Gustafsson or Bourdon... it depends on which one becomes effective more on the PP. Gustafsson is more of the playmaker and Bourdon is the shooter. The one thats more comfortable in that role will get their roster spot. Both will get sheltered ES minutes. With the amount of muscle that we have on the d-line now, I'm thinking the Gustafsson has the edge. Bottom line though: we can't have 1 defenseman and 9 forwards spanning our two PP units. They have both shown me that their offensive game can translate somewhat to the NHL level. Here's to hoping they keep improving.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
hockeyfreak7

MAB doesnt have the skill set to be much more than a #5 defender, imo. If anybody is going to exceed their ceiling, it would be Gustafsson becoming a Timonen-lite. If he can find some chemistry and stability alongside Coburn or even Schenn, I could see him turning a few heads. He will certainly have every opportunity to do just that if we dont make a play for anybody else.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:45 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Manning..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:51 PM
FlyingHigh13

Think Manning will be better than either Gus or MAB. Bourdon could be bottom pairing guy and Gus's ceiling i think is probably at the Matt Carle Level. Manning is bigger, more physical like Bourdon yet has more offensive touch/passing abilities. Don't think any of these guys could be a future # 1, but I could see Manning as a very solid second pairing Dman.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:30 PM
dats81

Manning and Bourdon both have been struggling with injuries early in their careers. If they can finally get/stay healthy they could turn into solid NHLers. Only time will tell.

Erik Gustafsson is a Matt Carle in the making. Give him a solid Veteran stay at home defenseman to complement his skills and he will put up 30 points in this league in no time.
Smaller defensemen always have to work harder to even get a closer look in the NHL. If they fail to produce points right away they risk being demoted before they even get a chance to adopt to the system.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:30 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Here's a question for all. If the Flyers were to fill all six positions with second pairing defensemen, would everyone be content with that? There would never be a true "number 1" but they could potentially have six guys who could play twenty minutes a night and not be overwhelmed or saddled with the responsibilities that a number 1 defenseman is supposed to have. I think it's an interesting concept that could be investigated.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I like Gustafsson a lot, and have debated with a few people on here who dont even think he should sniff the NHL. That being said though, this is his last season to show he is more than just a callup. He is turning 24, I know not old but also not young. I just wished he played the same way all the time like he did in the Pittsburg game, especially defending Malkin. Gustaffson was out there everytime and stopped him everytime, when other defenders could barely do it.

Gustafsson can suceed if he is given some PP time, which is his best aspect. With all the injuries the chance is there. It comes down to though which on Lavy likes the most. We all know Homer is in MAB's corner though.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:47 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I like Gustafsson a lot, and have debated with a few people on here who dont even think he should sniff the NHL. That being said though, this is his last season to show he is more than just a callup. He is turning 24, I know not old but also not young. I just wished he played the same way all the time like he did in the Pittsburg game, especially defending Malkin. Gustaffson was out there everytime and stopped him everytime, when other defenders could barely do it.

Gustafsson can suceed if he is given some PP time, which is his best aspect. With all the injuries the chance is there. It comes down to though which on Lavy likes the most. We all know Homer is in MAB's corner though.
Gustafsson looked real good before he injured his wrist and had to get it operated on. That set him back. With that being said, I think with his wrist healed and how he played against the Penguins, plus with MAB just being cleared to start training again after suffering from Post Concussion Syndrome, I have to believe that Gustafsson is ahead of MAB on the depth chart.

I hope they give Gus a chance because I think he's a guy who can play in the top four, play 20 to 22 minutes a night, and be a solid contributor to the club.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:16 PM
laundryman

Gus is the guy in that fringe 6th/7th D-Man group that I'd really hesitate about trading. I think he has really good upside and can be a really effective NHL player. He's got the skill set to be that offensive/two way puck moving D-Man that the Flyers need.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:17 PM
DrHamburg

Bourdon and Manning should get a shot. Gus right there. But I think Bourdon and Manning showed more. Not saying Gus isn't a solid NHL player, he is a above average 6/7 dman

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Bourdon and Manning should get a shot. Gus right there. But I think Bourdon and Manning showed more. Not saying Gus isn't a solid NHL player, he is a above average 6/7 dman
You clearly didn't see Gus in the postseason. If he can display a consistent aptitude for bodying NHL forwards like that, then he is certainly a "Timonen-lite" so to speak. He held his ground very well and obviously has the agility to keep up with the footing. The only question was how well he will handle the physical wingers. He showed he can, but how consistently?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:30 PM
BringBackStevens

I really hope they give the young guys a shot for once. the lilja type deals have little reward

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Honestly, I think MAB had a good like 4-5 games in the beginning but was below average to bad the rest of the season. Gustafsson looked great in the beginning, bad middle, and really good postseason.

I like Manning but honestly...he showed more in 4 games than Gus did?

Old
08-13-2012, 08:28 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Honestly, I think MAB had a good like 4-5 games in the beginning but was below average to bad the rest of the season. Gustafsson looked great in the beginning, bad middle, and really good postseason.

This

MAB is tough and has a heavy shot making him a capable #6 but that's about all. Manning looked good but he only played 4 games and IMO he looked no better then Gus. I will admit that Manning looks like he has the tools to be a good #4 but he'll have to work on a few things and avoid the injury bug. Gus before his wrist injury was steadily climbing in TOI. The wrist injury was a bit of a set back but that happens. If he plays like he did in the playoffs and gets a shot on the 2nd pp i think we'll all be pleasantly surprised with what he can do (put up Carle-esque numbers). with that said it looks like they'll all get an opportunity to show what they've got.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

maybe that is the first time most of us have the same opinion ;D Very interesting.

Now Gus must show he deserve our convidence in him....

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Gust played extremely well in the play-offs. He is going to be a stud. Book it

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:14 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:

Bourdon's decision making is often too slow

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Broad Street Elite

Gustafsson - Manning - MAB

Impossible to discern from what they have shown at the pro-level whether they can be anything other than career 6/7 guys.

Gus

PROS: Excellent puck skills and first pass abilities, good mobility, flashes of solid positional defensive abilities

CONS: Not big nor physical. Small. Can really struggle against a strong forecheck. Yes, many of those are interconnected, but it underscores the importance of learning to play with his physical restrictions.

MAB

PROS: Physical. Sturdy. Solid defensively. Showed good confidence. Decent skater.

CONS: Has shown limited offensive ability at the professional level. Has at least some injury concerns.

Manning

PROS: Good offensive game in the AHL. Great poise in limited showing at the NHL. Solid size, speed. Aggressive hitter and chippy.

CONS: Really unknown. Limited time at the pro-level due to recovery from surgery.

At the end of the day, Gus and MAB are players with solid potions to their games and a few flaws. Whether they can improve on those flaws is really what separates them from being top 4 guys. To me, Gus has more upside mostly because he hasn't had the periods of stagnation that MAB has in his development cycle. Manning is the most intriguing because he's shown the ability to do it all, but he's still a relatively unknown commodity.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:45 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

One big problem with MAB that you didnt add was his passing skill. While his slapshot is very good, his passing is average at the most. There were quite a few face palm moments last year with his passes out of the defensive zone.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:37 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
ah yes, let the over rating begin

I don't think any of Bourdon, Gus, or Manning will amount to anything more than bottom pairing defenseman, but I think Bourdon has the best chance out of the three to be a regular. Gus has never really impressed me and I don't think he'll ever be an NHL regular, but I hope I'm wrong since he has shown he can QB a PP in the AHL. As for Manning, I don't understand how people think he's the best out of the three since he's only played 4 games. Ya, he didn't look out of place, but we need to see him play more than a limited role in 4 games to really see how good he is

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You clearly didn't see Gus in the postseason. If he can display a consistent aptitude for bodying NHL forwards like that, then he is certainly a "Timonen-lite" so to speak. He held his ground very well and obviously has the agility to keep up with the footing. The only question was how well he will handle the physical wingers. He showed he can, but how consistently?
Gus looked good in an all-out offensive series where no one played good defensively....

Old
08-14-2012, 11:21 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Gus looked good in an all-out offensive series where no one played good defensively....
If I remember correctly, he only played ONE game in the Pittsburg series, and that was the last one. There he played against Malkin every shift and stayed with Malkin's skating the whole time. MAB couldnt do that, nor could many of the other defenders.

I just dont see how MAB can be a regular while Gus cant. What has MAB shown over Gus to prove/show this? What MAB can do is hit hard and have a slapshot. Thats pretty much it.

Sidenote (not to just you RJ): NHL.com has Gus making the 6 over MAB.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
i agree that Gus,Bourdon and Manning wont be more then 5/6 defenseman. I think all 3 players showed something when they were called upon. If I had to rank em I would probably have Gus,Manning,Bourdon.
Have concerns over Bourdon getting and staying healthy. Gus needs to get better handling the forecheck and playing against some of the bigger forwards.
i like Manning, but I probably need to see more of him to get a better judgement of him.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:15 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
If I remember correctly, he only played ONE game in the Pittsburg series, and that was the last one. There he played against Malkin every shift and stayed with Malkin's skating the whole time. MAB couldnt do that, nor could many of the other defenders.

I just dont see how MAB can be a regular while Gus cant. What has MAB shown over Gus to prove/show this? What MAB can do is hit hard and have a slapshot. Thats pretty much it.

Sidenote (not to just you RJ): NHL.com has Gus making the 6 over MAB.
I would not surprise me if Gus beat out Bourdon for the 6th spot. I think potential wise, Gus has a higher ceiling than Bourdon, I just don't think he'll ever reach it. And if you think just because Gus stayed with Malkin for one game that he'll be able to do it all the time, you're going to be pretty dissapointed (besides it was Couturier who was more important to shutting him down).

When Bourdon was actually healthy, I found him much better positionally and defensively than Gus.