HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Braydon Coburn

Old
08-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Swic21

vCash: 500
Braydon Coburn

I personally feel Braydon Coburn is an extremely underrated player on this team, and in the league. He's not the most physical guy but he brings it when it counts. Hes only 27 years old and just reaching his prime. Anyone else think he could be considered our number one d man even with timonen in the lineup? Not to mention he's very durable for the amount of minutes he plays. He has missed 7 games over the past 5 seasons. Braydon Coburn will show this year that he can be a number 1

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
I personally feel Braydon Coburn is an extremely underrated player on this team, and in the league. He's not the most physical guy but he brings it when it counts. Hes only 27 years old and just reaching his prime. Anyone else think he could be considered our number one d man even with timonen in the lineup? Not to mention he's very durable for the amount of minutes he plays. He has missed 7 games over the past 5 seasons. Braydon Coburn will show this year that he can be a number 1
He doesn't reach #1 status until the playoffs come around. He's our most important defenseman by far, but Kimmo is still #1. Coburn will be a very solid #2 for a loooong time.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Mgkibbles

He doesn't have the offensive skill set to be a #1 on a good team.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Swic21

What's his average ice time? Anyone know

Old
08-12-2012, 09:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

If he gets Carle's PP time this year, he'll finally be considered a #1. One of the bottom end of #1s, but definitely a top 25 defenseman in the NHL.

The morons on the other boards can shove it.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If he gets Carle's PP time this year, he'll finally be considered a #1. One of the bottom end of #1s, but definitely a top 25 defenseman in the NHL.

Carle absolutely sucked on the powerplay. If Coburn couldn't take his time from him last year, I doubt he's going to be very good there if asked to do it this year. I would bet Gustafsson gets a lot of PP time if he makes the team.

Coburn is a great #2. Good enough to take the hardest D assignments with a guy like Grossmann and make it work. That's good enough for me. I don't need him to turn into an offensive force to be satisfied with him. But what the hell, I hope you're right cause I'l be tickled pink about it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Swic21

Quote:

I agree 100 percent

Old
08-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Well, this is the year we definitely find out what he's really capable of.

08-12-2012, 11:08 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Carle absolutely sucked on the powerplay. If Coburn couldn't take his time from him last year, I doubt he's going to be very good there if asked to do it this year. I would bet Gustafsson gets a lot of PP time if he makes the team.

Coburn is a great #2. Good enough to take the hardest D assignments with a guy like Grossmann and make it work. That's good enough for me. I don't need him to turn into an offensive force to be satisfied with him. But what the hell, I hope you're right cause I'l be tickled pink about it.
PP 1
Timonen - Voracek

PP 2
Coburn - Gustafsson

PK 1
Grossmann - Schenn

PK 2
Timonen - Coburn

Probably...

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
He doesn't have the offensive skill set to be a #1 on a good team.
He had good point totals his first few years here but was asked to take on a more of a shutdown D man role

08-13-2012, 12:07 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

i've always been a huge coburn fan, even at times when i probably shouldn't have been. but it's been nice to see him become MUCH more consistent over the past 2 seasons. i don't know that he has the offensive skill to be a true #1 defenseman, but i do feel like he has a lot of untapped offensive ability that i think he can hone in on. he needs to work on his accuracy, and he needs to shoot the puck more. he has a heavy slap shot that we don't see too often, and when we do, it's usually high and wide... but man, when he connects with one and puts it where he wants it, it's lethal. id like to see him become more offensively consistent in the offensive zone. He certainly is a VERY under rated passer, and he's perhaps one of the best skating defenseman in the league, especially for his size. he can flat out fly, and makes it look effortless in the process.
at times Coby is guilty of being too timid, and sometimes kind of unsure about his decision making. you could NEVER accuse coburn of being lazy, he gives you 110% every game, but i do think he could benefit greatly from engaging his legendary "beast mode" more often. i think as he gets older and enters his prime here, we'll see him becoming more consistent and confident in his decision making. i believe we've only begun to see his prime.

but i agree, i think coby is an extremely underrated player, and i sometimes feel that he's under appreciated by flyers fans a lot.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:04 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't think Coburn isn't appreciated. The problem with Coburn is that he's so inconsistent. One week, he looks like an all world defender. Then the next week, the guy barely looks like an ECHL defenseman. It's been like this for years, especially after he took the puck in the face during the Penguins series from the 07-08 playoffs.

I do agree that come playoff time, Coburn brings his game to another level and he really does become a fantastic defender. My question is why doesn't he do this during the regular season? He's shown he can be a number one defenseman during the playoffs. He needs to show he can do it during the regular season as well. Coburn has been in the league going on seven seasons now. It's time for him to put it all together.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:15 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Totally agree.
Coburn should be good enough to round out as a 30point defender who plays 24min+ per game against the oppositions best players.

Love the guy.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
PK 1
Grossmann - Schenn

PK 2
Timonen - Coburn

Probably...
I honestly hate those PK combinations. You have the 2 slowest, most physical defenders together on the 1st PK, then your 2 best all-around defenders on the second PK?

I understand and completely agree with the notion about restricting Timonen's minutes at this point, especially on a physically exhausting PK unit.

To me,

PK 1

Coburn, Schenn/Grossmann

PK 2

Timonen, Schenn/Grossmann

... with the order of the / being dependent on which L. Schenn and/or Grossmann shows up this year. If we reasonable displays from both, I go Coburn Schenn, then Timonen Grossman.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Why not gustafsson on the powerplay?

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:15 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Why not gustafsson on the powerplay?
With Mez out and Carle gone, I'd say both Gus and Coburn will be on the 2nd PP unit

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:24 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Honestly, I think pairings on the lines of

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Bourdon/Manning
Grossmann-Gustafsson

Would be fine going into the season. I'd rather those two/three get playing time over Gervias honestly. Gustafsson can play on the 3rd pairing with Grossmann and provide the skating and footspeed that Grossmann doesnt have. Same with Coburn covering MAB or Manning.

Gustafsson can then go on the 2nd PP, where honestly I can see him suceeding. He was great on the PP in college and the AHL. Thats where his passing skill is put to great use.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Broad Street Elite

I'd go...

Coburn - Grossmann
Timonen - Schenn
Gus/MAB - Gervais

The top-pairing is going to be logging 23-25 minutes a game, so depending on which Schenn we have (good year Schenn or bad year Schenn), pairings of Coburn - Schenn, Timonen - Grossmann might work well also. I really want Timonen on the second pairing because he needs to be available for 1st PP and 2nd PK time as well and really shouldn't be logging more than 20 minutes a game at this stage.

The third pairing is going to be restricted to 15 or so minutes either way imo, so no reason to dilute the top 2 pairings.

At the end of the day, I still believe we add at least 1 defender either through UFA or trade, so this conjecture is mostly moot.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:10 AM
The Couturier Effect

I was not the biggest Coburn fan. He used to make really dumb mistakes in his own end. But last year I noticed a huge improvement in his game. So yes, I do think he is very underrated.

And I think he would be decent on the PP. He's a great skater and at times, has great puck handling. There aren't many other options on the PP unless you start using forwards on the point. And we all saw how that worked for the Pens in the playoffs...

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:12 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
What's his average ice time? Anyone know
Last year: 22:03
Career Avg: 21:03

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Codith

Anyone else feel that when Coburn goes all angry Coburn mode he is one of the most dominant guys in the ice? He goes through stretches like that where you wonder who the hell this guy is. Problem is its a rare site

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Angry Coburn is the best defenseman in the NHL. It's just downright frightning.

Coburn is a fantastic defenseman. Sure back in the day, if he was paired with anyone other than timonen he was a train wreck. But thats how defenseman develop.

He's going to take some big strides this year in proving how effective he can be. Paired with Grossman, don't expect massive point totals, just expect downright dominant defensive play on the ice.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:49 AM
sg12lw

I love coburn, but if hes replacing Carle on the PP than our PP is worse...he just flat out doesnt handle the puck well enough/quick enough at the point, and he actually seems uncomfortable doing so.

he has a little more offensive ability than he has shown the past few years, i agree with that....but he is not a PP guy

at best he could play off the side of the umbrella an one-time the puck, but we've got forwards who can do that and handle the puck better at the same time

it seems to me that coburn is more comfortable playing defensive, and he is arguably our best defender (him or kimmo) so i say why not just let him stay in his role? not every d-man HAS to be an offensive d-man, ya know?

we all know that he can be a guy that can play top minutes and shut anyone down...who gives a rats ass if the rest of the league recognizes that or not? all people seem to care about these days is points, and coburn is just flat out not going to put up a lot of them...and in reality that is better for us bc we get a first pairing shutdown guy for cheaper bc he's not putting up norris numbers

just my 2 cents, but i say leave cobe be

p.s. 100% agree with the angry coburn comment...i remember we were killing a 5-3 vs MTL years ago and he was PISSED at something and he literally killed the whole thing himself while burying about 10 guys in the process...ive been wanting to see that side of him ever since, bc that was amazing....it may have been with hatcher, who always seemed to get cobe to play a little nastier for some reason

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Gustaffson is going to take the PP duty's with Mezaros out. I think they will role with 4 forwards on both lines

Timonen - Voracek

Gustaffson - B.Schenn

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Anyone else feel that when Coburn goes all angry Coburn mode he is one of the most dominant guys in the ice? He goes through stretches like that where you wonder who the hell this guy is. Problem is its a rare site
Angry Coburn is tamed Pronger.

I love him so.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote