HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Vancouver Ranked 3rd in Livable Cities Study

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2012, 01:12 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Me trying to prove you wrong would already be me trying too hard
You have more posts in this thread than anyone and you've said nothing. The issue/obsession with the study seems to be your problem.

Old
08-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
And all the replies here don't scream of people that care about the rankings much.
I didn't say they were

Its an observation of my time here, before I posted & people I know that live in Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
You have more posts in this thread than anyone and you've said nothing. The issue/obsession with the study seems to be your problem.
Because I am replying to people who have quoted me.

I don't have an obsession with the study, just an obsession with the people that think these studies matter. People who bring these kind of studies up to explain why UFA's would chose the Canucks over some other team...etc

Old
08-15-2012, 01:46 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
...just an obsession with the people that think these studies matter. People who bring these kind of studies up to explain why UFA's would chose the Canucks over some other team...etc
Ahh, I see. But you decided to make a general comment about Canucks fans and Vancouverites. That makes sense.

I suggest you work on the obsession. Most of us do not need a study to tell us how great we are. We live in a problem-free city.

Old
08-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Wisp

Quote:
I don't have an obsession with the study, just an obsession with the people that think these studies matter. People who bring these kind of studies up to explain why UFA's would chose the Canucks over some other team...etc
Err... but they do matter? Vancouver gaining the reputation of being a World class city was an important development for the franchise. It's certainly not the sole reason, but it is a factor.

Old
08-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Err... but they do matter? Vancouver gaining the reputation of being a World class city was an important development for the franchise. It's certainly not the sole reason, but it is a factor.
I agree its a factor but I've seen a lot of people saying its a bigger factor then it really is.

Go through the Justin Schultz thread on the main boards & you'll see... it was kind of pathetic seeing fan bases argue who had the nicer city.

Old
08-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Have you been there? Calgary's a dump and a half.

Great now we can feel reassured about our city and use it when deciding whether or not a UFA will want to play here.
They just visited during the Stampede before doing the rankings

Old
08-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siludin View Post
They just visited during the Stampede before doing the rankings
but that's when Calgarians are their most violent and threatening. #NoseHillGentlemen

Old
08-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Henrik To Daniel

livable my ass. houses are too expensive. 200K in calgary gets you a decent townhouse. 200K in vancouver doesn't even get you a kitchen.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Seeing Calgary with those other cities just doesn't feel right. It's an average city. Very vanilla.
The thing about Calgary that sucks is that you need a car. The whole mess of sprawl is connected by freeways. There's a lot of cool stuff in Cow town, but the layout blows.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:13 PM
jbean

Weird list. This is my rough impression of canadian cities. The most important factors for me are aesthetic qualities of the city and surrounding landscape, park space, variety of culture, and overall vibrancy.

Top Tier:

Montreal
Vancouver
Quebec City
Toronto

Mid Tier:

Victoria
Halifax
Ottawa

Lower Tier:

Edmonton
Saskatoon
Calgary

Bottom Tier:

Winnipeg
Regina

I wasn't sure where to put Calgary. There is a fair amount to do but I can't stand the ridiculous sea of suburbs and the lack of trees and greenery -- I also am not attracted by cowboy conservative culture. Edmonton and Saskatoon were also flirting with the bottom tier but quality park space and solid universities gave them a boost. Both Edmonton and Calgary get large bonus points for being close to the rockies too, but both of the Albertan cities have serious design flaws and issues with general blandness.

Last edited by jbean: 08-15-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 04:32 PM
silvercanuck

The livability index doesn't really make sense if Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary are on it. All three cities are very different in terms of cost of living and the available amenities.

Vancouver exceeds expectations in terms of natural beauty, walkability, things to do outdoors, and places you can go for a day trip. I would also take any of our burbs over just about any city in any other province. Affordability not so much.

Calgary is great in terms of jobs and cost of living. Things to do and winter climate. Not so much.

Toronto is great in terms of big city living. Affordability, not so much. Natural beauty, winter and summer climate, not so much.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
livable my ass. houses are too expensive. 200K in calgary gets you a decent townhouse. 200K in vancouver doesn't even get you a kitchen.
Yes, but then you'd have to live in Calgary and deal with all that entails.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:16 PM
LSnow

That study loses all credibility when Helsinki is anywhere near top 10. Theres atleast 3 cities in Finland thats infinitely better than Helsingfors.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
Yes, but then you'd have to live in Calgary and deal with all that entails.
personally i would rather live in a house that i own than a one or two bedroom basement where i'm paying $1,000 a month to rent

Old
08-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Anodyne

Under the presumption that natural beauty can't be factored into statistical data, I don't know how Vancouver winds up so high on this list. The scenery is the first thing anyone says about Vancouver.

I guess I can see why Vancouver could top a "livable city" and also how Calgary could, but I don't understand how they made the same list with the same criteria.

I'm leaving Vancouver at the end of the month and frankly, I can't wait. It's the most beautiful place I've ever lived, it has an amazing laid-back vibe, and people are mostly not high-strung and keep to themselves; hopefully I can move back when I have an established career or at least a more steady income. But its whole "work just to live" vibe doesn't suit someone at my stage in life. My place is a dump and I'm always broke. There's little high-paying job opportunities (for me) and nothing on the horizon short of serving aging baby boomers as they retire here.

Basically, I hope I wind up happier some place uglier and less fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Top Tier:

Montreal
Vancouver
Quebec City
Toronto

Mid Tier:

Victoria
Halifax
Ottawa
I can't speak to its job market or cost of living, but I'd think Ottawa would have to crack the top tier. Perhaps it's a little low on natural beauty, but it's one of the tidiest towns I've ever been to. As the capital, it has lots to see and enough to do, and its location/bilingualism make its cultural background unique, even for Canada. The downtown has lots of character, and its architecture is a nice change from the faceless masses of glass that are Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto. I definitely want to settle there one day.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:36 AM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
I can't speak to its job market or cost of living, but I'd think Ottawa would have to crack the top tier. Perhaps it's a little low on natural beauty, but it's one of the tidiest towns I've ever been to. As the capital, it has lots to see and enough to do, and its location/bilingualism make its cultural background unique, even for Canada. The downtown has lots of character, and its architecture is a nice change from the faceless masses of glass that are Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto. I definitely want to settle there one day.
Ottawa has a lot going for it that's for sure. My only knock against it (and I haven't spent that much time there, only about a week, but I hear similar things from friends who live there) is that I found it isn't exactly the most vibrant city. I felt there wasn't as much liveliness or any kind of "buzz" which cities such as Vancouver or especially Montreal have. This is mostly a concern for younger people though.

It is an absolutely fantastic city for things such as universities and mueseums. The national gallery is by far the best in Canada (one of the few in this country that might approach the quality of European galleries). Being able to see exhibitions of Caravaggio or Van Gogh is a huge attraction for people into that sort of thing and is a rarity in north america.

You are right though, Ottawa is quite possibly a "top tier" city in this country. I would probably rather live there than in Toronto.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:40 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Well, there you go. High availability of inexpensive housing certainly impacts these studies.
And vancouver is 3rd in the world?

Old
08-16-2012, 01:24 AM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
It's a real head scratcher how Calgary is a top 5 city. It honestly takes me 30 minutes in decent traffic to cross the city from the NW country hills to SE Somerset. You can't rely on public transit the same way you can't rely on Calgary weather. This morning I went to work wearing a toque and it's mid summer!

Affordable houses? Well yes, but to afford one you still need to spend a pretty penny $450,000+.
This is by far the most boring, depressing city that I have lived in. If the windchill of -30 doesn't force you to hibernate, the boredom factor of doing nothing but visiting the local malls or the monthly Costco visit will get the better of you.

Calgary seems to be a dead city. It seems like an older folks, family type city.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:34 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

They just line up a bunch of metrics, give them weights and add them all up. It's how boring places do well in these things year after year. These things don't measure how good a city is to actually live in. If cities were food a rissotto would lose to plain boiled white rice every time.

He's a tip. Being a cold, frozen wasteland is better than being a tropical paradise because the makers of these survey's don't have sweat glands and die if they stray far from the poles. The closest thing to "tropical" in the top 25 is Sydney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post

Affordable houses? Well yes, but to afford one you still need to spend a pretty penny $450,000+.
This is by far the most boring, depressing city that I have lived in. If the windchill of -30 doesn't force you to hibernate, the boredom factor of doing nothing but visiting the local malls or the monthly Costco visit will get the better of you.

Calgary seems to be a dead city. It seems like an older folks, family type city.
You just ticked all the boxes. There is no metric for measuring "interesting" or "enjoyable livability" - that's personal preference and is 10 times more valuable than anything actually in the survey. If you like winter sports like skiing - tropics probably aren't for you. If you like 10-25 degree winter days and hiking/tennis/etc maybe the subtropics (warm but not that humid) is your thing. Arts, clubs, human generated variety and excitement - NY. Hate concrete jungles and lack of space - NY might not be your thing.

blah blah lets measure roads, and incomes, how close it to the north pole.

Last edited by me2: 08-16-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old
08-16-2012, 01:36 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Vancouver shouldn't even be in the same room as a discussion about livability, what with its absurd cost of living and utter lack of adequate transportation infrastructure.

Old
08-16-2012, 02:06 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
It's a real head scratcher how Calgary is a top 5 city. It honestly takes me 30 minutes in decent traffic to cross the city from the NW country hills to SE Somerset. You can't rely on public transit the same way you can't rely on Calgary weather. This morning I went to work wearing a toque and it's mid summer!

You've hit all the spots on Calgary, read my post in page 2 about my experience.

And you're right about one thing, the boredom factor reaches the apex when you've seen the malls and the Costco. Not even Cross Iron Mills can save it, it's like the city itself...bland, boring and just another excuse to spend money.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:44 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
Vancouver shouldn't even be in the same room as a discussion about livability, what with its absurd cost of living and utter lack of adequate transportation infrastructure.
Yet somehow it is EVERY year. Think about it.

What exactly is wrong with Vancouver's transit? Not talking about suburban whining, but VANCOUVER.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Vancouver is very nice.
But so damn expensive..

Old
08-16-2012, 01:29 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Yet somehow it is EVERY year. Think about it.

What exactly is wrong with Vancouver's transit? Not talking about suburban whining, but VANCOUVER.
Yeah, I wonder about that too. I can't see how they could reasonably improve downtown commuter transit in the lower mainland. The high pop areas such as Burnaby, Surrey, Vancouver, Richmond are served pretty well by Skytrain. Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, and Mission are served by the west coast express. If you live really far out from Vancouver what do you expect? We can't sustain 500 light rail stations over an area larger than NYC with only 2.5 million people.

Old
08-16-2012, 02:04 PM
opendoor

I think people are seriously overestimating the cost of living in Vancouver. Home prices are absurd and likely due for a major correction, but rental prices aren't all that bad or out of line with most other major cities.

Closed Thread