HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Ranked 3rd in Livable Cities Study

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2012, 06:24 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Manhattan isn't a little enclave - it is 60 sq km, more than half the size of all of Vancouver - not sure how it's relevant comparing it to the couple of square clicks in the downtown peninsula.

To get an idea of how populous AND big Manhattan is, take everybody living east of Boundary and west of, and squeeze them in west of Main St.

Love that town...
Then charge $2500/month for a broom closet. But it's ok, because everyone is making $200K+ a year working 90 hours a week.

Old
08-19-2012, 06:28 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Manhattan is 30,000 / sq.km. That's six times higher.

Vancouver is in the "density" discussion the same way Columbus is in the "one of the best teams in the world" discussion because they play in the NHL.

Cool, you named 1 city. So my point that the city of Vancouver is one of the most densely populated cities in North America stands.

Old
08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
opendoor

And for the record, New York City's population density is a little over 10,000 per sq km, so about twice the city of Vancouver. Here are the top 10 densest cities in North America:

New York: 10,600
San Francisco: 6,600
Mexico City: 6,000
Vancouver: 5,200
Boston: 4,900
Miami: 4,700
Montreal: 4,500
Chicago: 4,400
Philadelphia: 4,400
Toronto: 4,100

Old
08-19-2012, 07:46 PM
*Injektilo

Of those cities, Vancouver's LRT/subway system is not any worse than half of them...

Old
08-19-2012, 08:10 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
Of those cities, Vancouver's LRT/subway system is not any worse than half of them...
Vancouver's metro population is also much smaller than any of those cities which makes having the level of transit that some of those places enjoy less viable. Compared to other metro areas of similar size Vancouver's transit is generally quite good.

Old
08-19-2012, 08:38 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Winnipeg is getting pretty underrated imo

It doesn't has vancouver's transit system but housing prices, while on the rise, are far more affordable than Vancouver. For the same price my familys sold our POS condo in Burquitlam they bought a spacious, newer house that is by winnie's technopole and has all amnesties nearby. And while the winter is obviously colder it doesn't rain anywhere as much and there are great lake beaches nearby during summer. Oh, and people with tech/engineering degrees can actually find jobs unlike in Vancouver.
Who are these people, I know some people in Winnipeg who have tech/engineering degrees and they still can't find jobs..sucks for them cause there smart as hell.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:12 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
Who are these people, I know some people in Winnipeg who have tech/engineering degrees and they still can't find jobs..sucks for them cause there smart as hell.
Relative to Vancouver I guess. Winnie has a strong aerospace presence, they're expanding the research centre at st. Boniface (I think that's what's called) and there's lots of materials/composites research which should translate into a broader range of jobs soon.

Vancouvers tech/engi side is nonexistent, for a city that wants to be so global and great its still ridiculously dependent on forestry, fishing and hqing mining operations. If as an engi you can't find a job with BC Hydro you're stuck with either start ups who seldom last or being underemployed.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:24 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
Public transit is also woefully inadequate, though; compared to Seoul, NYC, or London, the Skytrain is a joke.
A ticket to go to work and back on the underground/nr is 7.40 which is roughly $11. There's a reason why London has a great transportation system. That, and the gas taxes are very very high.

You're probably one of those muppets that complain about gas prices and taxes being high then complain about public services not good enough for you.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:50 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
My sister told me last week that Winnipeg has gotten expensive in terms of housing. Considering six years ago it was still cheap, now everyone is upping the prices on new and used houses.

Winnipeg's transit is god awful, that "bus rapid transit" consists of 4 stations and one long stretch patch of road.

Rapid transit my ass.
This is why I'm 27 and still live at home. Trying to find an affordable house in a decent area is a joke and I refuse to rent. The house my parents bought almost 2 years ago was 232 000 and the house that just sold on our street went for 256 000 and has no fenced yard, is smaller and looks like it wasn't well taken care of.

It takes me longer on a weekday to get home from work (a 15-20 minute drive) then it does on a saturday via transit. Their idea of good bus routes is to have them drive from one end of the city to the other. We have loops but they a) you miss your connecting bus by seconds or b. have to wait another 20 minutes for it. The express buses leave around the same time the normal buses do, so you're screwed either way. Don't even get me started on the rapid transit. My cousin thinks this is fantastic. The only reason why they even did it is because the federal government gave them money for it and now they're not even going to do phase 2. Even though the government gave them the freaking money to do it!

Old
08-19-2012, 10:57 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
This is why I'm 27 and still live at home. Trying to find an affordable house in a decent area is a joke and I refuse to rent. The house my parents bought almost 2 years ago was 232 000 and the house that just sold on our street went for 256 000 and has no fenced yard, is smaller and looks like it wasn't well taken care of.
My inlaws bought a nice house in White Rock for $329K, in 1993.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:30 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
My inlaws bought a nice house in White Rock for $329K, in 1993.
And this is relevant to the Winnipeg market how?

Old
08-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
And this is relevant to the Winnipeg market how?
I think he was just pointing out that the original poster shouldn't complain too much about real estate prices in Winnipeg when real estate prices in Vancouver are fricking ridiculous, ranks top 10 in the WORLD. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Van...069/story.html

My parents bought a 2800 sf. house (5000sf property) in Vancouver proper for around $280,000 in 1995, and we were recently informed by a family friend who is a real estate agent he could sell the property for $1.1 million on the market.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:17 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
And for the record, New York City's population density is a little over 10,000 per sq km, so about twice the city of Vancouver. Here are the top 10 densest cities in North America:

New York: 10,600
San Francisco: 6,600
Mexico City: 6,000
Vancouver: 5,200
Boston: 4,900
Miami: 4,700
Montreal: 4,500
Chicago: 4,400
Philadelphia: 4,400
Toronto: 4,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
i've used mass transit in all but mexico city, miami, and philadelphia (have only used BART, boston, montreal, and chicago as a tourist though, so i can't vouch for their breadth, only their speed, wait times, and connection efficiency). i would rank vancouver behind each, unless translink has really improved since i lived there last (admittedly 1999). obviously i'm aware of the canada line, but if you don't live near the skytrain or the b-line (does that still exist), i always found vancouver public transportation to be second class.

makes sense given the size of the city and how the city is (poorly) planned, but that consideration doesn't make it any easier to get around the city (which is a quality of life issue, no?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
A ticket to go to work and back on the underground/nr is 7.40 which is roughly $11. There's a reason why London has a great transportation system. That, and the gas taxes are very very high.
ridiculous rider's cost aside, there's also the issue of the underground being so hot in the summer that it kills people.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:42 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:

It takes me longer on a weekday to get home from work (a 15-20 minute drive) then it does on a saturday via transit. Their idea of good bus routes is to have them drive from one end of the city to the other. We have loops but they a) you miss your connecting bus by seconds or b. have to wait another 20 minutes for it. The express buses leave around the same time the normal buses do, so you're screwed either way. Don't even get me started on the rapid transit. My cousin thinks this is fantastic. The only reason why they even did it is because the federal government gave them money for it and now they're not even going to do phase 2. Even though the government gave them the freaking money to do it!
Ugh. If only my parents invested in Vancouver real estate back then, but then again, who knew that Vancouver real estate would escalate so much. My parents got a house in Winnipeg for 118K in 1985 and sold it in 2006 for 226K..

Now I'm hearing other posters claim their 1995 house for 230K is now worth 1.1 million in Vancouver today

The biggest piss off about Winnipeg Transit is that the city TOOK TOO DAMN LONG to invest in any rapid transit system. Hell, back in the 1980's they wanted to have some sort of rail system because back then it was much cheaper to build it. If they start building a rail system the cost would be so expensive that they would have to BEG ON THEIR HANDS AND KNEES from all levels of government to even ask for it. People in Winnipeg who think this is fantastic have never experienced rapid transit in their god damn lives, I'm sorry but 4 stations and one long road in the south end of Winnipeg is not what I call rapid transit.

The city took the money to build phase 1 because it was cheap to build but phase 2 will be even more expensive, not long ago Sam Katz wanted to raise the transit fare so some of that money will go towards funding phase 2 but that got shot down like a cannonball. Then goes to the press stating "where will the money come from, I don't even know"

How that guy is still mayor of that city I will never know...

Old
08-20-2012, 02:43 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i've used mass transit in all but mexico city, miami, and philadelphia (have only used BART, boston, montreal, and chicago as a tourist though, so i can't vouch for their breadth, only their speed, wait times, and connection efficiency). i would rank vancouver behind each, unless translink has really improved since i lived there last (admittedly 1999). obviously i'm aware of the canada line, but if you don't live near the skytrain or the b-line (does that still exist), i always found vancouver public transportation to be second class.

makes sense given the size of the city and how the city is (poorly) planned, but that consideration doesn't make it any easier to get around the city (which is a quality of life issue, no?)

ridiculous rider's cost aside, there's also the issue of the underground being so hot in the summer that it kills people.
I take issue with this, Vancouver is not poorly planned, its just planned differently from every other city in North America. And it was planned like this on purpose, it's called Vancouverism and is designed to enhance the aesthetics of the city and many city planners around the world are trying to model their cities after aspects of Vancouver.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouverism

The gist of it is:
Accessible recreational areas
Preserve natural sight lines (ie. height restrictions)
Dense downtown business district
None or very little freeway running through the middle of city. (especially rare in North America)
Preserving natural endowments.
Dense urban areas (evident when Vancouver is ranked in the top 5 in density considering our paltry population, and plethora of land)

You could say Vancouver is not efficiently planned but not poorly planned, Vancouver was designed with aesthetics in mind and succeeds in that regard as Vancouver is consistently ranked in the top 5 of most beautiful cities. http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/22/par...en-cities.html

Old
08-20-2012, 02:47 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Ugh. If only my parents invested in Vancouver real estate back then, but then again, who knew that Vancouver real estate would escalate so much. My parents got a house in Winnipeg for 118K in 1985 and sold it in 2006 for 226K..

Now I'm hearing other posters claim their 1995 house for 230K is now worth 1.1 million in Vancouver today

The only problem with this is if we sell our property, we need somewhere to live so we would have to buy at current market prices so we wouldn't be making any money. The only way to profit is to move to another city, which is not really an option for many; or own a second home and pocket a cool 800k.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:55 AM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i always found vancouver public transportation to be second class.
Compared to Europe, but compared to other NA cities, I feel it's ranked as the better ones.

Really, all Vancouver needs is the skytrain to be extended down Broadway to UBC and a Main Street - Gastown - Hastings line and the densest parts of the city are served by a metro line.

There's also the low-hanging fruit of the Arbutus corridor (old tram line) which can be easily and cheaply dug up with cut/cover to house another metro system to serve North-South towards downtown.

As much as I'd love a more encompassing network, the density doesn't justify it and those neighbourhoods have people who won't use a metro system anyway.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:23 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Compared to Europe, but compared to other NA cities, I feel it's ranked as the better ones.

Really, all Vancouver needs is the skytrain to be extended down Broadway to UBC and a Main Street - Gastown - Hastings line and the densest parts of the city are served by a metro line.

There's also the low-hanging fruit of the Arbutus corridor (old tram line) which can be easily and cheaply dug up with cut/cover to house another metro system to serve North-South towards downtown.

As much as I'd love a more encompassing network, the density doesn't justify it and those neighbourhoods have people who won't use a metro system anyway.
This! If you can improve mass transit in Vancouver proper (Kits, south granville, west end, gastown, East Van), you can spread your buses around the surrounding neighbourhoods, and eventually build a transit web that isn't so unbearable.

Transit is fine if you live / work near a skytrain station, but most people don't. Buses to these skytrain stations are sporadic, and transit options after 1am are next to nothing.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:54 AM
guest1467

I really don't understand why people dismiss buses so easily.

Why the hell would you build a skytrain to UBC when you have double buses flying down broadway every 4 mins?

Getting a bus to a skytrain is quite easy, every major area in Vancouver has one that goes every 15-20 minutes.

----

Vancouver's public transportation is quite good.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:03 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
The only problem with this is if we sell our property, we need somewhere to live so we would have to buy at current market prices so we wouldn't be making any money. The only way to profit is to move to another city, which is not really an option for many; or own a second home and pocket a cool 800k.
You can rent until the market goes down. You could pay your rent with a few simple investments of that cash and live for basically free.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
You can rent until the market goes down. You could pay your rent with a few simple investments of that cash and live for basically free.
Assuming the market does go down, how long would it take? The market as a whole has been on an upward trajectory since the 90's. It has slowed down recently but does not show signs of significant downturns. You might end up renting from anywhere 5 to 20 years and not see the market go down enough to generate a large enough profit to warrant renting.

Old
08-20-2012, 01:13 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
I take issue with this, Vancouver is not poorly planned, its just planned differently from every other city in North America. And it was planned like this on purpose, it's called Vancouverism and is designed to enhance the aesthetics of the city and many city planners around the world are trying to model their cities after aspects of Vancouver.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouverism

The gist of it is:
Accessible recreational areas
Preserve natural sight lines (ie. height restrictions)
Dense downtown business district
None or very little freeway running through the middle of city. (especially rare in North America)
Preserving natural endowments.
Dense urban areas (evident when Vancouver is ranked in the top 5 in density considering our paltry population, and plethora of land)

You could say Vancouver is not efficiently planned but not poorly planned, Vancouver was designed with aesthetics in mind and succeeds in that regard as Vancouver is consistently ranked in the top 5 of most beautiful cities. http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/22/par...en-cities.html
i'm aware of vancouverism. i was actually re-reading jane jacobs last week.

and your point about aesthetics, i totally agree with. you compare vancouver with portland or seattle and vancouver looks much better. if i didn't have to work and cloud flap my wings and fly, there isn't another city in the world i'd rather live in. portland has a barrier between the downtown and the water, wasting a perfectly good water front. seattle is a little better on this count, but the freeways running through the city aren't great for aesthetics. to my knowledge, those quick routes from one end of the city to the other haven't done a whole lot to ease congestion either.

my problem with how vancouver is planned, though, is that there's no good way to get to and from work if you live in the suburbs and work downtown. the 99 is a nightmare and for a lot of people it's the only option. traffic from burnaby to UBC (especially along 49th) also a shtstorm. the point is, the city wasn't planned for the amount of traffic it currently has, especially since real estate prices are pushing the downtown working population farther and farther out of the city. and even for rich people-- if you live on the north shore and work downtown? FYL.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
This! If you can improve mass transit in Vancouver proper (Kits, south granville, west end, gastown, East Van), you can spread your buses around the surrounding neighbourhoods, and eventually build a transit web that isn't so unbearable.

Transit is fine if you live / work near a skytrain station, but most people don't. Buses to these skytrain stations are sporadic, and transit options after 1am are next to nothing.
another problem of mine, but keep in mind i haven't lived in vancouver since 1999 so things may have changed, is that the buses never run on time (other than the b-line and the 41). i routinely would be waiting for a bus downtown (didn't matter where i was going-- UBC, north shore, richmond) and the wait would be 40 minutes to an hour. but two of the same friggin' bus would come at the same time. why was one bus always so late that it would come at the exact same time as the next one?

obviously the solution for a city laid out and with the population patterns of vancouver isn't a new york-style subway system. i wonder if a lot of the problems could be alleviated if the buses could just get their act together. the little paper bus schedules they give out are meaningless. they're supposed to run every 20 minutes, but even during rush hour they seldom do.

Old
08-20-2012, 03:19 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

My sister and bro in law rent out their basement suite to a tenant, the place I'm living in has two suites and its rented out as well.

My uncles house in Surrey, they also rented out the basement. They just recently sold their house for 799K and bought a spacious townhouse in New Westminister.

If people want the big house fine, rent out your suites, most people I know who own homes do that.

Old
08-20-2012, 05:17 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I really don't understand why people dismiss buses so easily.

Why the hell would you build a skytrain to UBC when you have double buses flying down broadway every 4 mins?

Getting a bus to a skytrain is quite easy, every major area in Vancouver has one that goes every 15-20 minutes.
Agreed. Though having a line that extends, say, from VCC all the way to UBC would probably bring commute down by 5-10 minutes there are still many pressing issues; they're finally working on the Evergreen Line which is good. Then they need to expand in Surrey and possibly extend their East/South Van presence, then they can consider taking pressure off the B-lines.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:35 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
How is that a problem? Either you are looking to upsize and you have a huge down payment or you are downsizing.

My wife and I made about $100K on our first house after 3.5 years. That makes our down payment much bigger for our new house. The profit is in buying a more marketable house with the massive equity you have built. Come to my real estate seminar, lol

Closed Thread