HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Article on Detroit's Top Ten Prospects

Old
08-15-2012, 03:48 AM
claudetheturtle

vCash: 500
NHL Article on Detroit's Top Ten Prospects

See http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=639629. Dan Rosen implies in his article that his list was compiled "[w]ith the help of vice president and assistant general manager Jim Nill." But does anyone find it interesting that his top 10 list exactly mirrors ours, except that he bumped Mrazek up to #7 from #10?

NHL list - HF Boards list
1. Brendan Smith - Brendan Smith
2. Gustav Nyquist - Gustav Nyquist
3. Calle Jarnkrok - Calle Jarnkrok
4. Tomas Tatar - Tomas Tatar
5. Tomas Jurco - Tomas Jurco
6. Riley Sheahan - Riley Sheahan
7. Petr Mrazek - Teemu Pulkkinen
8. Teemu Pulkkinen - Xavier Ouellet
9. Xavier Ouellet - Ryan Sproul
10. Ryan Sproul - Petr Mrazek

Last edited by claudetheturtle: 08-15-2012 at 08:31 PM.
claudetheturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:09 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

That really is a helluva top ten. Not many teams can say they have better.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:26 AM
jacK

Pulkkinen over Ouellet?!
now where did i leave my torches and pitchforks... i think NHL.com should have a poll to be sure.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:40 AM
ARCTICCAT24

It pains me to see only 3 North Americans on there. We need more home grown talent.

ARCTICCAT24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:55 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
From any lists in this world, I still prefer redwingscentral.com listning by Matthew Wuest.

http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTICCAT24 View Post
It pains me to see only 3 North Americans on there. We need more home grown talent.
I disagree. Near history has shown to us that players have a tendency to sign where their girlfriends have relatives. European girlfriends have those relatives outside of North America, so they are more probable to keep longer in the organization and get taking discounts. This is really, really far going management, but is has some truth in it.

If we consider home grown talent, I'd like to see guys only from nearby area (from where they usually find their girlfriends), Michigan and southern Ontario. Michigan Universities, Windsor, Kitchener, London etc.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:38 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
No fights for you!

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
From any lists in this world, I still prefer redwingscentral.com listning by Matthew Wuest.

http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/
I agree, I particularly like the fact he has Sproul ahead of Ouellet and Ouellet ahead of Pulkkinen. With that being said our poll will be forgotten shortly after it ends. The main purpose is to see what people think right this minute and entertain us until Training Camp starts. Hopefully TC starts on time.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:38 AM
fimoknete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
That really is a helluva top ten. Not many teams can say they have better.
lets wait how many nhl points this group of 10 player will produce on the nhl level before we are having our prospect party.
playing junior or ahl level is simply a different thing.

and the secong thing is, zetterberg and datsyuk could learn from the best like yzerman, fedorov, lidstrom, shanahan, hull and larionov.
this guys will enter the nhl when datsyuk or zetterberg are gone or done and learn from grandpas or player like miller and eaves. i can only imagine how much fun it will be to play for the team like now minus zetterberg and datsyuk.
i feel so sorry for this guys. its just too little, too late.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
lets wait how many nhl points this group of 10 player will produce on the nhl level before we are having our prospect party.

and the secong thing is, zetterberg and datsyuk could learn from the best like yzerman, fedorov, lidstrom, shanahan, hull and larionov.
this guys will enter the nhl when datsyuk or zetterberg are gone or done and learn from grandpas or player like miller and eaves. i can only imagine how much fun it will be to play for the team like now minus zetterberg and datsyuk.
i feel so sorry for this guys. its just too little, too late.
I dunno, did the Kings have any grizzled veterans? Willie Mitchell isn't quite a legend. How about the B's? Chara is a very good player but again, hadn't had great success in previous playoffs, typically tended to let lesser teams hang around and make it to game 7. How about the Blackhawks? All of their success was due to good young players with a Marian Hossa thrown in but who had very little track record of success other than when he was riding shotgun to Sid Crosby for one playoff run. And the Pens also didn't have many grizzled vets who could be considered for the HHoF. It's the younger guys who made all the difference along with a few solid vets.

Other than that I agree with you, to quote Pulp Fiction, let's not sit here and suck each others d**ks. The prospects look good but most of them are several years from making an NHL roster, if they ever do. Only Smith and Nyquist are sure things and Jarnkrok is close to hitting that level.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:51 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Ouellet may have been born in France, but he was raised in Canada, and that's where he's played hockey. For all intents and purposes, he's North American. So there are 4 on the list. Stop your bellyaching

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:52 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
YEAH! Let's wait until they're not prospects anymore before we judge what kind of prospects they are!

I don't think anyone is trying to do that. Obviously, chronologically, we're just judging them as what they are now and the same goes for any group of prospects on any team. Why is it the second someone pays their own team a compliment someone is always around to tell them NOOOO YOU CAN'T DO THAT! Like we have a set of homer police to ensure we don't start looking homerish. So stupid...

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Nil on Iron Hook

Quote:
"He's got a little bit of Zetterberg in him -- tenacious, strong-willed. We have high expectations for him. We'll bring him to camp and if he's one of our top 12 forwards we'll sit down and make a decision. If not, he's going back to Sweden."
Interesting. No chance that happens though. Too many damn forwards! Go away Emmerton!

Good read though. This CBA needs to get done soon

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:19 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Nil on Iron Hook

Interesting. No chance that happens though. Too many damn forwards! Go away Emmerton!

Good read though. This CBA needs to get done soon
Emmerton is just too valuable to the franchise. The dude scored over eleven percent of the Wings playoff goals against Nashville.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Emmerton is just too valuable to the franchise. The dude scored over eleven percent of the Wings playoff goals against Nashville.
Emmerton is THE FRANCHISE.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Love the fact checking over at NHL.com

Quote:
Even Nicklas Lidstrom, the now-retired, future Hall of Fame defenseman, waited for 52 other players to be picked in 1989 before the Red Wings made him one of the best second-round picks of all time.

Huh? He was drafted in the third round, that is totally embarrassing. Can just see the guy counting on his fingers or something and forgetting expansion or how the internet google search function works. Not a hard thing to get right when writing an article or to have an editor whose job it is to read hockey articles not catch that either, What a joke.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:33 PM
joe89

To be honest I feel like we have exactly 10 guys that are a bit more promising than the rest. But ranking them in the same order except for one player is noteworthy.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:37 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Love the fact checking over at NHL.com

Huh? He was drafted in the third round, that is totally embarrassing. Can just see the guy counting on his fingers or something and forgetting expansion or how the internet google search function works. Not a hard thing to get right when writing an article or to have an editor whose job it is to read hockey articles not catch that either, What a joke.
Rounds were shorter back then. He was a third rounder but was also 53rd overall

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:02 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Rounds were shorter back then. He was a third rounder but was also 53rd overall
I know that, my point was how does a writer from NHL.com not know that?

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:49 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I know that, my point was how does a writer from NHL.com not know that?
No I completely mis read your quote actually lol thought it said best third round picks of all time for some reason. Oh well haha

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote